PDA

View Full Version : Medical marijuana users ‘have 30 days’ to turn in their guns, police say

EE_
30th June 2019, 05:08 AM
I knew this was coming!

Medical marijuana users ‘have 30 days’ to turn in their guns, police say
BY JOSH MAGNESS
NOVEMBER 29, 2017 01:09 PM, UPDATED DECEMBER 02, 2017 11:52 AM

Marijuana is still illegal under federal law, which trumps any laws on weed that states may pass.

If you use medical marijuana, you must turn in your guns.

That’s according to the Honolulu Police Department, which has been sending out letters to legal users of medicinal weed that they must forfeit their weapons, as reported by multiple news organizations.

The first legal medical marijuana dispensary opened in Hawaii this August, according to the Associated Press, even though medicinal pot was first legalized in 2000. There are currently 29 states that have some form of legalized medical pot.

But the drug is still illegal under federal law, which trumps any laws on weed that states may pass, Joshua E. Jackson, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), told LeHigh Valley Live in Pennsylvania.

“There are no exceptions in federal law for marijuana used for medicinal or recreational purposes,” he said.

Several states have adopted new rules on the use of recreational and medicinal marijuana in several states, with more than half now allowing for the latter. Is this the beginning of the end of marijuana prohibition? By Cristina Rayas

The letters in Hawaii have been coming out at least since the beginning of this year, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported, including one dated Nov. 13 that told medical weed card holders they “have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender your firearms.”

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” read the letter signed by police chief Susan Ballard, according to the Star-Advertiser.

The Honolulu Police Department confirmed the news to Leafly, which also included an image of the letter in its story. It has been sent to about 30 registered medical cannabis users so far, according to the Star-Advertiser.

Michelle Yu, a spokeswoman for the Honolulu Police Department, wrote in an email to the Honolulu Civil Beat that medical weed patients have had their permits for gun ownership denied “for years.” That includes 67 patients from between 2013 to 2016.

In 2011, the ATF wrote an “open letter to all federal firearms licenses” that said “any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana … is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.”

Hawaii, which requires all medical marijuana users to register in a state-run patient registry, is the first state to make gun owners register all their weapons with the county police chief, according to Guns.com.

HPD spokeswoman Yu told the Civil Beat that the police department has been able to access the list of medical marijuana patients since 2000, when it was started by the state’s Department of Public Safety.

“Checking the database is now part of the department’s standard background verification for all gun applicants,” she wrote.

Reason.com, which noted that it is still not known what will happen to those who don’t turn over their guns, suggested that those two databases for guns and marijuana are “how (police chief) Ballard knew where to send her warning.”

The letters come after a 2016 ruling from the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals that said it isn’t an infringement of someone’s Second Amendment rights to ban them from buying a gun if they use weed.

“It is beyond dispute that illegal drug users, including marijuana users, are likely as a consequence of that use to experience altered or impaired mental states that affect their judgment and that can lead to irrational or unpredictable behavior,” the court said.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article187082303.html

EE_
30th June 2019, 05:34 AM
Every firearm owner should have known this, it's right there in question e.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/BATF_Form_4473a.png

Bigjon
30th June 2019, 07:00 AM
I knew this was coming!

Medical marijuana users ‘have 30 days’ to turn in their guns, police say
BY JOSH MAGNESS
NOVEMBER 29, 2017 01:09 PM, UPDATED DECEMBER 02, 2017 11:52 AM

Marijuana is still illegal under federal law, which trumps any laws on weed that states may pass.

That’s according to the Honolulu Police Department, which has been sending out letters to legal users of medicinal weed that they must forfeit their weapons, as reported by multiple news organizations.

The first legal medical marijuana dispensary opened in Hawaii this August, according to the Associated Press, even though medicinal pot was first legalized in 2000. There are currently 29 states that have some form of legalized medical pot.

But the drug is still illegal under federal law, which trumps any laws on weed that states may pass, Joshua E. Jackson, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), told LeHigh Valley Live in Pennsylvania.

“There are no exceptions in federal law for marijuana used for medicinal or recreational purposes,” he said.

Several states have adopted new rules on the use of recreational and medicinal marijuana in several states, with more than half now allowing for the latter. Is this the beginning of the end of marijuana prohibition? By Cristina Rayas

The letters in Hawaii have been coming out at least since the beginning of this year, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported, including one dated Nov. 13 that told medical weed card holders they “have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender your firearms.”

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” read the letter signed by police chief Susan Ballard, according to the Star-Advertiser.

The Honolulu Police Department confirmed the news to Leafly, which also included an image of the letter in its story. It has been sent to about 30 registered medical cannabis users so far, according to the Star-Advertiser.

Michelle Yu, a spokeswoman for the Honolulu Police Department, wrote in an email to the Honolulu Civil Beat that medical weed patients have had their permits for gun ownership denied “for years.” That includes 67 patients from between 2013 to 2016.

In 2011, the ATF wrote an “open letter to all federal firearms licenses” that said “any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana … is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.”

Hawaii, which requires all medical marijuana users to register in a state-run patient registry, is the first state to make gun owners register all their weapons with the county police chief, according to Guns.com.

HPD spokeswoman Yu told the Civil Beat that the police department has been able to access the list of medical marijuana patients since 2000, when it was started by the state’s Department of Public Safety.

“Checking the database is now part of the department’s standard background verification for all gun applicants,” she wrote.

Reason.com, which noted that it is still not known what will happen to those who don’t turn over their guns, suggested that those two databases for guns and marijuana are “how (police chief) Ballard knew where to send her warning.”

The letters come after a 2016 ruling from the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals that said it isn’t an infringement of someone’s Second Amendment rights to ban them from buying a gun if they use weed.

“It is beyond dispute that illegal drug users, including marijuana users, are likely as a consequence of that use to experience altered or impaired mental states that affect their judgment and that can lead to irrational or unpredictable behavior,” the court said.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article187082303.html

For US Citizens only.

I have no evidence that I am a US Citizen, do you have any?

EE_
30th June 2019, 07:10 AM
For US Citizens only.

I have no evidence that I am a US Citizen, do you have any?

It looks like medical weed card holders won't be able to purchase new firearms anymore.

ziero0
30th June 2019, 11:22 AM
Couldn't predict that one coming.

USE, civil law. A right of receiving so much of the natural profits of a thing as is necessary to daily sustenance; it differs from usufruct, which is a right not only to use but to enjoy.

So you see if you have the USE then you aren't enjoying it but if they had insisted a medical permission for the USUFRUCT of mary-go-wanna means you get to enjoy it which would probably be illegal (as is most things that you tend to enjoy).

Best learn to control your urges to enjoy thing .. likely these things have some sin tax associated with them.

If the matter comes up just tell 'em "I was using as much as I needed for my daily sustenance BUT I wasin't enjoying it!!!"

vacuum
30th June 2019, 01:49 PM
It looks like medical weed card holders won't be able to purchase new firearms anymore.

So using it once in past now makes you ineligible to own a firearm?

EE_
30th June 2019, 02:13 PM
So using it once in past now makes you ineligible to own a firearm?

No, being a registered card holding user makes you ineligible. I told people this when California first went legal medical weed and you had to register. I believed then it was a plot to get as many registered possible and then yank the firearm rug out from under them. It's starting to turn out I was right.
Once firearm owners start seeing gun confiscation and banning sales for registered users, it will drive most back to the street dealers.

Hitch
30th June 2019, 05:01 PM
No, being a registered card holding user makes you ineligible. I told people this when California first went legal medical weed and you had to register. I believed then it was a plot to get as many registered possible and then yank the firearm rug out from under them. It's starting to turn out I was right.
Once firearm owners start seeing gun confiscation and banning sales for registered users, it will drive most back to the street dealers.

I don't think that's happening here in CA yet. I know some folks that used to have the old medical marijuana cards, but now, it's all legal anyway. Which, means anyone going forward will not have to worry about it. I would not rule out mandatory drug testing for fire arms purchases in the future though. They keep making it harder to buy guns here with every law and requirement. You can't buy guns if you have a misdemeanor on your record now. You can get in one bar room brawl and end up banned from ever purchasing another gun.

C.Martel
30th June 2019, 05:06 PM
I don't think that's happening here in CA yet. I know some folks that used to have the old medical marijuana cards, but now, it's all legal anyway. Which, means anyone going forward will not have to worry about it. I would not rule out mandatory drug testing for fire arms purchases in the future though. They keep making it harder to buy guns here with every law and requirement. You can't buy guns if you have a misdemeanor on your record now. You can get in one bar room brawl and end up banned from ever purchasing another gun.

Kids upon turning 18 should purchase guns, so if they later get thrown out of the military, or start to smoke 'non-allowed items', they will still have their guns. And they should buy enough ammo for a lifetime.

The Dems would have heart-attacks with ideas like this. People would be circumventing future laws, Dems come up with, by being proactive...

The old GIM1 had people who stacked bullets, not gold.

Hitch
30th June 2019, 06:04 PM
Kids upon turning 18 should purchase guns, so if they later get thrown out of the military, or start to smoke 'non-allowed items', they will still have their guns. And they should buy enough ammo for a lifetime.

The Dems would have heart-attacks with ideas like this. People would be circumventing future laws, Dems come up with, by being proactive...

The old GIM1 had people who stacked bullets, not gold.

Wise words C.Martel. I personally followed from the old GIM1 about stacking bullets. Don't have all the firearms I want, but am fine with bullets for what I do have. :) Your advise should be passed on to the younger folks, for sure.

midnight rambler
30th June 2019, 06:08 PM
All drug tests can be beaten, even the hair follicle drug test.

Hitch
30th June 2019, 06:31 PM
All drug tests can be beaten, even the hair follicle drug test.

Not all drug tests. Random drug tests can't be beaten. I've lost many good coworkers to them.

EE_
30th June 2019, 07:37 PM

Unless federal firearm laws that disallow purchases by marijuana users are changed, they can be used to take guns away, or at the very least ban new purchases.
Trump won't be president forever. He may be our last conservative/populist president. Whites in America are close to becoming a minority. It's only a matter of time before the Marxists take control...they will destroy this country forever and they will do it quickly.

It's funny so many can see where we are headed and many books are written about it, but no one has written, or said what the people should and can do about it. Someone should write a book on how to take down a totalitarian society, as fiction, but with real solutions.

Hitch
30th June 2019, 08:19 PM
It's funny so many can see where we are headed and many books are written about it, but no one has written, or said what the people should and can do about it. Someone should write a book on how to take down a totalitarian society, as fiction, but with real solutions.

There's actually lot's of fiction books out there, that point to solutions. Sadly, almost all involve a total break down and collapse of our society to "reboot" things, then rebuild. A. Amercan is one author that comes to mind.

Honestly the best thing we can do? Pay attention to what's going on. Stock water, food, guns, ammo. For most of us that's the best we can do until the music stops, and everyone rushes to grab a chair.