PDA

View Full Version : Field update from my sister

vacuum
17th March 2020, 07:41 PM
My sister is a nurse. She heard from one of her nurse friends at a different hospital that a 40 year old doctor is currently on life support due to the virus.

Somehow it got into his nervous system and his heart isn't working right, and I think he's on a ventilator as well. Maybe if they keep him hooked up for months his nervous system can repair itself, but how can you dedicate that many resources to one person when you could possibly save multiple other people?

My sister is starting at a new hospital next week. She's asking if I can send her some N95 masks and also asked how to disinfect them. We'll have to see what the hospital has.

Spectrism
18th March 2020, 03:33 AM
Masks are hard to get these days. I work in the disinfecting industry. There are many chemical disinfectants on the market. Most are toxic. Here are some ideas. The corona virus family is easy to kill. Soap will help disable the outer wall that has lipids (fats) as part of its structure. If you are going to use a dilution of chlorine bleach, add a little dish soap.
A good disinfectant for home use: hydrogen peroxide (3%) from any store typ. Dilute it in half or third. Add a few drops of dish soap- just enough that you will get bubbles when shaken. The soap does 2 things: helps disable viruses and aids in penetration of the disinfectant through organic matter and over non-polar surfaces.

vacuum
18th March 2020, 01:35 PM
Thanks Spectrism.

Here is what I'm considering as a disinfecting process:

Step 1: Lightly spray it with a solution of 25% hydrogen peroxide, and 75% water
Step 2: Put it in the oven at 150 degrees for two hours. (this by itself probably works for the virus)

If you really want to disinfect, what you can do is buy an ozone machine and put the mask in a sealed container with the ozone machine running. Anything organic will be completely eliminated.