PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hare comment on Constitution, health bill stirs controversy on Web

Carbon
2nd April 2010, 11:01 AM
http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display_mobile.php?id=486688"]Phil (http://"[url) Hare comment on Constitution, health bill stirs controversy on Web[/URL]

By Anthony Watt, awatt@qconline.com

Congressman Phil Hare left a campaign stop in Quincy amidst a contentious exchange with attendees over the health care reform bill.

A visual recording of the exchange can be viewed on Youtube. Rep. Hare is seated, arguing with several people who cannot be seen in the recording about the bill.

He is using an example of someone having to take their child to the hospital while not having insurance and being stuck with a hefty medical bill when someone began to ask "Where in the Constitution..."

Rep. Hare cuts the man off and says "I don't worry about the Constitution on this to be honest..."

The man begins to laugh, cutting the congressman off, and says "Jackpot, brother."

"I care more about the people that are dying every day that don't have health insurance," Rep. Hare goes on to say.

"You care more about that than the Constitution you swore to uphold," the man replies.

"I believe it says we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," Rep. Hare tells him.

The argument continues with the first man telling Rep. Hare that it is "unbelievably clear that the Constitution doesn't matter to you." The two men also argued whether the bill will actually provide insurance to people who don't have it.

Another person argues with Rep. Hare over how many times Rep. Hare read the bill. He was critical of whether the congressman actually read the bill -- which he said was 8,100 pages long -- three times.

"Are you calling me a liar?" Rep. Hare asks him.

"I am," that man replies.

"Oh that's pleasant," the congressman tells him and begins to leave the room.

The man mocks him: "Oh, heaven forbid you have to answer your constituents."

Rep. Hare turns and tells the man: "I answered it and you told me I was a liar."

"Because you are," the man says.

Rep. Hare turns back towards the door and leaves, not answering the man as he asks repeatedly how long it took Mr. Hare to read the bill three times.

As Rep. Hare gets into his vehicle, another person asks, "Hey where in the Constitution does it say I have to purchase health insurance or gives you the authority to make me?"

The vehicle begins to pull away and that person says "Better start looking for a job."

Hare spokesman Tim Schlittner said in an emailed statement that the event was meant to be be a meeting between the representative and seniors to talk about "important provisions in the health care bill."

Mr. Schlittner said Hare's comments concerning the Constitution were taken out of context.

"His full statement said 'I’m not worried about the Constitution on this,'" the release states. “'On this'” meant that he is not worried about this health care law being ruled unconstitutional."

The release states that Rep. Hare thinks the bill is constitutional and he would not have voted for it if he did not.

He is more worried about "providing affordable insurance for families, small businesses, and seniors," the release states.

But Rep. Hare's office alleges that Bobby Schilling--the congressman's Republican opponent--sent his supporters to derail the event.

"(Rep. Hare) said several times during the meeting yesterday that he supports the Constitution, but that conveniently didn’t make the tape," the release from the congressman's office states.

In the statement, the congressman's office also contends there were other things not shown on the tape.

"Congressman Hare was called a Nazi," the release states. "He was called a liar. He was handed a piece of paper that said 'The White House is No Longer White.' So much for a civil debate."

The release touted Rep. Hare's six years in the Army Reserves.

"He needs no lectures on fighting for the Constitution," it states. "He will continue to work to make health care more affordable and accessible, while also upholding his Constitutional oath.”

Terry Schilling, Mr. Schilling's son and campaign manager, said the accusation that his father sent supporters to disrupt the meeting was "a ridiculous and absurd insinuation."

"We are focused on building our own campaign, not tearing anyone else's down," Terry Schilling said.

He said that the men asking questions of Mr. Hare during the argument were not part of the Schilling campaign.

Mr. Schilling in a morning press release said the statement was "despicable and foolish." i

"This statement is outrageous and ridiculous," Mr. Schilling is quoted as saying in the release. "What is really sad is that this mindset is typical of many representatives in Congress. This explains why Congress is out of control. The Constitution is a protection set up for the people against a tyrant government. It has kept the United States stable for almost 250 years. When we go to Congress we will reign in this tyrant government and get it back to following and believing in the Constitution."

The video is being posted and re-posted via Facebook. Here's what a few of reporter Brandy Donaldson's Facebook "friends" of Republican leanings had to say in response (and some their "friends" and "friends" of "friends," etc).

(http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display_mobile.php?id=486688"]See (http://")

[url]http://www.youtube.com/v/k2iiirr5KI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&

DMac
2nd April 2010, 12:49 PM
"It doesn't matter to me..."

:puke: