PDT
2nd April 2010, 07:53 PM
http://in.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idINN0216453520100402

UPDATE 3-Putin bolsters oil, defense ties with Venezuela
Fri Apr 2, 2010 11:55pm IST

* Chavez wants nuclear energy, space technology

* Venezuela beefing up defenses with Russian arms

* Russian companies to produce oil from Orinoco belt

* Putin also meeting Bolivia's Morales (Recasts, update with meeting)

By Darya Korsunskaya and Anthony Boadle

CARACAS, April 2 (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin visited Venezuela on Friday to discuss oil, defense and nuclear energy cooperation with Latin America's main leftist foe of the United States, President Hugo Chavez.

They were to launch a $20 billion venture between Russian firms and Venezuelan state company PDVSA to pump 450,000 barrels a day -- almost a fifth of the OPEC member's current output -- from the vast Orinoco heavy oil belt.

Putin's 12-hour visit provides a welcome lift for Chavez, who is facing domestic and international criticism for failing to solve Venezuela's economic woes and attempting to silence opposition to his 11-year rule.

Putin was later to hold talks in Caracas with Bolivian President Evo Morales, along with Chavez the fiercest opponent of what they call U.S. "imperialism" in Latin America.

Chavez said Moscow and Caracas would strengthen security ties to "continue increasing Venezuela's defense capability" and move ahead with cooperation on nuclear energy.

"We are not going to build the atomic bomb but we will develop nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. We have to prepare for the post-petroleum era," Chavez said on Thursday.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

FACTBOX on Russia-Venezuela ties [ID:nN02139874]

FACTBOX on Venezuelan political risks [ID:nRISKVE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Facing a national electricity crisis that has caused widespread outages, Chavez's government is turning to Iran and Russia for help to develop nuclear power.

Venezuela, South America's top oil exporter and a major U.S. supplier, has expanded military ties with Russia under Chavez, who says the United States could attack Venezuela for its oil reserves.

Since 2005, Venezuela has bought $4 billion worth of Sukhoi jet fighters, Mi-17 helicopters and Kalashnikov assault rifles. Chavez received more than $2 billion in loans for more Russian arms during his eighth visit to Moscow in September, including T-72 tanks and the S-300 advanced anti-aircraft missile system. [ID:nLA719656]

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton expressed concern last year that the Russian weapons purchases by Venezuela could trigger an arms race across Latin America. [ID:nN1571529]

Chavez says his growing arsenal is aimed at countering a planned increase in the U.S. military forces at bases in neighboring Colombia, Washington's closest ally in the region.

ORINOCO OIL VENTURE

A Russian Beriev amphibious plane to fight forest fires arrived on Thursday to help extinguish blazes that have ravaged the drought-scorched Avila mountain overlooking Caracas.

The highlight of Putin's visit will be the rolling out of the joint venture to develop the Junin 6 field in the Orinoco, which will require $20 billion in investments over 40 years.

Venezuela expects the venture to begin producing 50,000 barrels a day by the end of the year. [ID:nN31225561]

The Russian consortium involved in Junin 6 are state giant Rosneft (ROSN.MM: Quote, Profile, Research), private major Lukoil (LKOH.MM: Quote, Profile, Research), Gazprom (GAZP.MM: Quote, Profile, Research), TNK-BP (TNBPI.RTS: Quote, Profile, Research) and Surgutneftegaz (SNGS.MM: Quote, Profile, Research).

PDVSA holds a 60 percent stake in the project, and Caracas says the Russian firms will pay Venezuela a first tranche of $600 million on Friday -- out of an agreed total of $1 billion -- for the right to take part in the venture.

To boost its sagging output from traditional wells, Venezuela needs foreign investment and technology to tap the heavy oil of the Orinoco belt that requires much upgrading to turn into lighter crude.

Putin's first visit to Venezuela is seen as part of an effort by Moscow to help Russian firms expand abroad and own oil assets all over the world.

Industry sources said Rosneft, Russia's largest oil producer, was seeking to buy stakes in four German refineries from Venezuela as part of the Kremlin's drive to encourage its companies' activities abroad. [ID:nLDE6301C]

Rosneft said on Friday it was in talks with PDVSA, but that there were no proposals to acquire its German assets.

Chavez hopes Russian cooperation will reach as far as the space industry. "We could even install a satellite launcher," he said on Thursday. (Additional reporting by Dmitry Zhdannikov in Moscow; Charlie Devereux in Caracas; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

techguy
2nd April 2010, 08:19 PM
Better get used to hearing this.

As these little oil producing countries realize they can go nuke and keep selling thier oil to the US for high prices, all of them are going to line up for nukes.

It doesnt hurt that they get nuke bomb tech as a side benefit.

I think Iran wants the bomb BAD.

But I also think they realize that the oil will eventually run out, and they had better secure some form of energy supply FAST.

k-os
2nd April 2010, 08:28 PM
Absolutely, techguy. And here we sit in the US, hamstrung by our own bureaucracy, and when we have consumed all of their oil at a premium, we will start some sort of pipeline for buying their nuclear power. Even if lawmakers decided to build a plant today, it wouldn't get done for 15 years, if ever.

Why, oh why, won't our government invest in solar? I know it wouldn't work everywhere, but it sure would where I live.

And I know the answer is money. Not production costs, but how someone would collect revenue. But damn, haven't enough people died for our energy consumption?

techguy
2nd April 2010, 08:32 PM
There is no reason I can think of that the US isn't investing heavily in ALL types of home generated power....

nat gas, solar, nuke, wind..

it should be a national directive.

I almost believe energy imports were a planned way to siphon money from the US. It sure seems like the US is bent on NOT being able to gen her own power.

MIC maybe? if the US was energy independent, not much need for all these ME wars huh?

PDT
3rd April 2010, 12:54 AM
If all the money blown on the fu*king wars had been spent on solar and fusion advancements, we'd like have both supplying 95% of our needs by 2015.

I hear Russia is going to drill for oil off the US Gulf coast. Great... ::)

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 07:15 AM
The way things are going in the US Chavez and Obama should be buddies.

Desolation LineTrimmer
3rd April 2010, 09:35 AM
I think Iran wants the bomb BAD.

But I also think they realize that the oil will eventually run out, and they had better secure some form of energy supply FAST.

It is definitely both but Iran is in fact running out, at least so I read somewhere reliable.

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 10:42 AM
Theres a lot of disinfo out there too. Can we really trust our media to give us the facts? There was one Senator last year who commented that Iran was at least 10 years away from having enough material at a high enough grade to even begin making a bomb. They may in fact be 10-15 years away from being about to do it.

Ponce
3rd April 2010, 10:55 AM
Walk softly and carry a big nuke......... the intentions of the state of Israel is to take over all of the Middle East, as long as one country has nekes they would not dare to try it.

About Venezuela........as we all know the US has seven bases in Colombia and killing civilians and then dressing them in military clothing to make them look like guerrilas fighters.......also on three small islands belonging to the Netherland the US is setting up new bases of operantion. And a lot more going on that we don't know anythng about.

If you have a gun and I don't I will then be your slave......but........if we both have guns then we would be friends.