PDA

View Full Version : I'm shooting less

General of Darkness
2nd April 2010, 08:20 PM
Over the past two months, I budgeted poorly and now, and I don't want to deplete my supply so there you have it.

Me not at the range. >:(

techguy
2nd April 2010, 08:25 PM
Same here, I have been to the range only a couple of times in the last 6 mos.

I still have weapons that have NEVER been fired. How sad is that???

Ammo expensive, all the local ranges suck. Takes the fun out of it sometimes.

Heimdhal
2nd April 2010, 11:53 PM
I picked up a .22 this week and finaly I am shooting more! Got some CB .22lr's (the really quiet, primer fired only rounds) in 33 grain HP's. Shoot em into a bucket of sand in the garage (with a heft back stop of sheet metal and ply wood, more sheet metal, more crap, and the garage door if all else fails).

They are really quiet and basicaly noisless with headphones on ( i have tinnitus starting up, so i wear ear protection for everything now), only slightly louder than my green-gas powered airsoft gun. No one has any idea.

Only problem is my garage is only 17 feet long. Not exactly a trying target for a marlin rifle. Still, its fun as hell.

wildcard
3rd April 2010, 07:09 AM
All my spare time and money is going into the repair of my house. I need some range time! :'(

Argentium
3rd April 2010, 08:39 AM
Same here, I have been to the range only a couple of times in the last 6 mos.

I still have weapons that have NEVER been fired. How sad is that???

Ammo expensive, all the local ranges suck. Takes the fun out of it sometimes.

Exact same story here, TG. Been working weekends and have 3 new guns not fired!! Pathetic! And the local ranges here suck as well.

AlterEgo
3rd April 2010, 09:30 AM
Heimdhal, where have you been shooting at. Ranges near us have changed so much in the kast couple of years.

Last time I drove all the way to Indian River. Great range up there without all the snoopy types. But a long ride. Maybe we could split the gas some day?

Heimdhal
3rd April 2010, 09:52 AM
For the rifles, I just wait till we go over to the inlaws in Tampa sinces theres a nice 50 yard indoor range there that allows outside ammo, so it only cost me about 10 bucks. 50 yards is really short though. Good for a .22, and still fun with the AK. My bad eyes cant see that far anyways.

Pistols, I dont shoot as much anymore. Usualy go to Gator. I like their range the best. Delray Shooting center the lanes are too small and I dont fit in the booth comfortably, and the owners are douche's. Dont care for Palm Beach Shooting centers owners much either, but I usualy dont go there jsut cause I forget they are there.

I joined up with IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) and they do pistol and carbine (ak's/ar's) shoots in markham park in west sunrise. I havent been out there yet though, waiting on my ualification date (sorry my "Cue" key doesnt work all the time).

Ive heard good things about the indian river range. I'd love to check it out. I actualy used to live up there, the drive isnt so so bad. Let me know when you plan on going next, Im sure we can work something out. My new .22 and AK need to stretch their legs.

ruprick
4th April 2010, 07:04 AM
You guys really need to look into Sportsman's Clubs / Conservation Clubs that have ranges.

I belong to 3. One is just 2 miles away....I mostly shoot skeet there....but they do have a 100 yard range. Cost $100/yr.

The other 2 clubs have outdoor ranges and indoor ranges....heat, ventilation, 24 hour magnetic key access....one is $100/yr ....the other is $200/yr.....I shoot on pistol leagues at both of these.....1 night per week at each......that makes 2X per week.

Find a local club - they are great - the people think just like you.....like minded folks.

Get a ton of 22LR an blaze away.

JJ.G0ldD0t
4th April 2010, 07:39 AM
Good to see you here ruprick

Heimdhal
4th April 2010, 08:13 AM
Ruprick, glad to see you posting. Was hoping you'd come over.

I wish we had the fortune to have such clubs. We live in a very "anti-shooting" county of Florida and a very expensive one as well. 500 suare miles of urban sprawl all around us. The closest rifle range is about 45-50 minutes away from me and is only open every now and then, but its owned by the sheriffs office and is packed when they open it up to regulars. THe other two good ones are a bit of a drive, but they are good ranges, 200 yards + IIRC.

South Florida Sucks.

Argentium
4th April 2010, 08:43 AM
Glad to see you made it here, brother!

Gaillo
5th April 2010, 01:00 AM
You guys really need to look into Sportsman's Clubs / Conservation Clubs that have ranges.

I belong to 3. One is just 2 miles away....I mostly shoot skeet there....but they do have a 100 yard range. Cost $100/yr.

The other 2 clubs have outdoor ranges and indoor ranges....heat, ventilation, 24 hour magnetic key access....one is $100/yr ....the other is $200/yr.....I shoot on pistol leagues at both of these.....1 night per week at each......that makes 2X per week.

Find a local club - they are great - the people think just like you.....like minded folks.

Get a ton of 22LR an blaze away.

Welcome!!! Glad to see you here! :)

Ponce
5th April 2010, 02:15 PM
I need help in understanding this....... why practice so much with a rifle?, I clean my weapons once a months but shoot them only once every summer and many times three Summers.

The shooting that I do in those periods of time never changes and I am always as good as the last time.......so, what is so special about shooting to much unless is a hobby more than anything else.

For a sniper I do understand the need but not for the average Joe.

Thanks........

Heimdhal
5th April 2010, 02:24 PM
cause its funner than a pig in shit! ;D ;D

crazychicken
5th April 2010, 03:10 PM
For the rifles, I just wait till we go over to the inlaws in Tampa sinces theres a nice 50 yard indoor range there that allows outside ammo, so it only cost me about 10 bucks. 50 yards is really short though. Good for a .22, and still fun with the AK. My bad eyes cant see that far anyways.

Pistols, I dont shoot as much anymore. Usualy go to Gator. I like their range the best. Delray Shooting center the lanes are too small and I dont fit in the booth comfortably, and the owners are douche's. Dont care for Palm Beach Shooting centers owners much either, but I usualy dont go there jsut cause I forget they are there.

I joined up with IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) and they do pistol and carbine (ak's/ar's) shoots in markham park in west sunrise. I havent been out there yet though, waiting on my ualification date (sorry my "Cue" key doesnt work all the time).

Ive heard good things about the indian river range. I'd love to check it out. I actualy used to live up there, the drive isnt so so bad. Let me know when you plan on going next, Im sure we can work something out. My new .22 and AK need to stretch their legs.

So you got the Marlin .22. How do you like it?

CC

hoarder
5th April 2010, 05:31 PM
After reading about Marlin possibly quitting, I finally went out and bought a new Marlin Model 60 in stainless. I really love the balance and ease of carry of this long sleek .22 LR. Quite an improvement over my 10/22.
As with most new firearms these days the trigger was awful. I've been reworking the trigger but I got carried away with shortening the hammer spring so I'll have to get another one, I'm getting too many light strikes.
I ordered some Tech-Sites, which are a set of front and rear sites, aperture style. This will give me an additional 6 inches of sight radius and hopefully make it easier to use iron sight with my old eyes.
If I don't wear glasses I can't focus on the target, if I do wear glasses the factory rear sight gets blurred. Hopefully the peep sight will cure that.

FiftySense
5th April 2010, 08:59 PM
My local outdoor range stopped allowing FMJ rifle rounds to be used. Now the alternative is an indoor range which I dislike immensely. Call of Duty has become my replacement.

Heimdhal
6th April 2010, 08:12 AM

So you got the Marlin .22. How do you like it?

CC

I like it alot. Very accurate little rifle. It was shooting to the right a little when I first got it out, but I've since fixed that "problem" and its dead center now.

Like hoarder said though, the triggers could use some work and thankfully theres a million how-tos out there for trigger slop fixes. BUt in all honestly, it doesnt bug me that much. I shoot an AK, Im used to triggers that take a little rough handling.

That said, I'll probably work on it before I go to the appleseed shoot this month, in case some one wants to use my .22

hoarder
6th April 2010, 07:50 PM
Here is some info on trigger modifications.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=89fb36fb88ff3ec4a92d44e60ccea4b 7&f=217

Heimdhal
7th April 2010, 08:10 AM
Here is some info on trigger modifications.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=89fb36fb88ff3ec4a92d44e60ccea4b 7&f=217

Thanks!

JJ.G0ldD0t
7th April 2010, 01:52 PM
I need help in understanding this....... why practice so much with a rifle?, I clean my weapons once a months but shoot them only once every summer and many times three Summers.

The shooting that I do in those periods of time never changes and I am always as good as the last time.......so, what is so special about shooting to much unless is a hobby more than anything else.

For a sniper I do understand the need but not for the average Joe.

Thanks........

I KNOW Right?

pphhbbtb - weekend warriors :D