PDA

View Full Version : rules

silverblood
2nd April 2010, 10:39 PM
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

weird.

What is profane?

Main Entry: 1pro·fane
Pronunciation: \prō-ˈfān, prə-\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): pro·faned; pro·fan·ing
Etymology: Middle English prophanen, from Anglo-French prophaner, from Latin profanare, from profanus
Date: 14th century

1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate
2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use

— pro·fan·er noun

So I gather that the owner of this forum will ban anyone who expresses contempt for the irredeemably religious and their irrational beliefs? "Profane" only has meaning to the irredeemably religious, and the irrational. Why make a rule about it?

I think we should probably abandon the irremediably religious precisely because that is what they are – irremediable. I am more interested in the fence-sitters who haven't really considered the question very long or very carefully. And I think that they are likely to be swayed by a display of naked contempt. Nobody likes to be laughed at. Nobody wants to be the butt of contempt.

…You might say that two can play at that game. Suppose the religious start treating us with naked contempt, how would we like it? I think the answer is that there is a real asymmetry here. We have so much more to be contemptuous about! And we are so much better at it. We have scathingly witty spokesmen of the calibre of Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. Who have the faith-heads got, by comparison? Ann Coulter is about as good as it gets. We can't lose! -- Richard Dawkins

Meanwhile, I'm going to spin SRV & Double Trouble, Couldn't Stand The Weather. I gotta hear Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), then Tin Pan Alley on side B.

"I heard a woman scream, yeah, and I peeked through the door
Some cat was workin' on Annie with a, Lord with a two-by-four"

silverblood
2nd April 2010, 10:53 PM
Thank you Gaillo. I'm happy to be here.

Ah yes, boilerplate legalese, where would we be without it? ;)

But, you know ... I'm still in mourning. Might take me a while to get back into it.

sirgonzo420
2nd April 2010, 10:57 PM
Glad you made it!

:D

Libertytree
2nd April 2010, 11:01 PM
Welcome SB, just noticed you slipped in.

silverblood
2nd April 2010, 11:07 PM
Hey whaddayaknow? I am feeling the warmth. ... or could it be the Maker's Mark straight up doing that, hey?

Should I be posting this in the "altered states" forum? Er, no that was somewhere else... my bad.

Bull_Rides_Bear
3rd April 2010, 08:57 AM
[quote]

Meanwhile, I'm going to spin SRV & Double Trouble, Couldn't Stand The Weather. I gotta hear Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), then Tin Pan Alley on side B.

I assume you've seen Live at the el Mocambo. It's such a thrill to see Third Stone from the Sun performed live.

Olmstein
3rd April 2010, 09:39 AM
SRV rocks!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1GSpbuFSr2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1GSpbuFSr2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>