PDA

View Full Version : Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread

Heimdhal
2nd April 2010, 11:49 PM
OK here it is, finaly, Heimdhals Baking and Pastry Thread.

Please feel free to add anything you wish to this thread pretaining to baking, pastries or cooking methods in general. Dont be shy, this isnt about me, this is about all of us sharing our ideas and SHTF ideas are even better!!

First, I would like to give you all the Xcel spread program that I used in proffessional baking. This is a program where you can add the individual weights of ingredients, and then scale them to size as you need to make it larger or smaller. (See attachment)

It will look like this:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/Recipes.jpg

The spreadsheet is formated for a special calculation based on the flour, so always put your flour amount in that box and dont change any of the code, or you wont be able to scale it. WHen you save, click "Save As" so you dont over right your original, so you can use it again and again.

And example of this will be used is seen here:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/whitepanbreadpic-1.jpg

The numers in the Right columns, where the arrow is pointing is the original recipes weights. This could be any weight at all. The % on the side is for doing Bakers Math and isnt really important if you're using the program. Just know that whatever your flour weight is, it is always 100% so if you have 10 oz of flour and 12 oz of sugar, your sugar will be above 100%. Liek I said, its Bakers Math. This is why flour must always be in the Flour Box or it will mess up the recipe.

The yellow box on the side is the scaled yield. Just put in whatever weight you want in oz to scale up or down. If the recipe is 4 lbs of dough, but you want 1, just type in 16 and it will scale each ingredient on the far left column to the new weights. Use those weights to get your 16 oz dough.

And so, while we already have it up here, I will, as my first addition to the thread, give you my SHTF White Pan Bread Recipe. I call it SHTF because it is made entirley of things we should all have in our preps that wont spoil (hence the reason for shortening and milk powder instead of butter and real milk).

White Pan Bread
Bread Flour......... 2 lbs 8 oz
Water (warm).......23 oz
Fresh Yeast...... 2 oz (cut in half if using active dry or instant)
Salt................. 1 oz
Milk Powder.......... 2 oz
Shortening........... 2 oz
Sugar................ 2 oz

Sift flour
Mix for 6 to 8 minutes
Proof 40 min, punch down, bench rest 10 minutes
roll out with rolling pin.
Form Loaf (by rolling the dough up, folding the ends underneath to fit inside the bread tin)
Proof 30 minutes or until doubled in sized
Water or Milk wash the top (brush a little water or milk on the top)
Score bread lengthwise
Bake at 400 for 35 min
(If you want to make it whole wheat without being overly dense, replace 8 to 12 oz of the white bread flour with whole wheat flour.

French Bread
(for 1 1/2# Loaf)

Bread Flour.......... 14.25 oz
Sugar................. .25 oz
Salt................... .25 oz
Water................. 8.29 oz
Fresh Yeast......... .51 oz (cut in half for active dry or instant)
Malt Powder (flour).... .10 oz
Shortening.............. .25 oz

Add yeast to warm water (95-105 f, too hot youll kill the yeast)
Sift Flour, add in dry ingredients (salt, sugar, malt powder)
Add dry to water all at once
Begin mixing
Add Shortening (always add fats last if you are able)
Knead (in machine) 8-10 minutes, or by hand until dough is not too sticky with a smooth, even surface
Proof until doubled in size
Punch Down dough
Let Bench rest 10 minutes (sitting on the counter, covered)
Shape into long French Bread loaf
Proof until doubled in size or dough doesnt spring back after a gentle, shallow poke of a finger
Egg or water wash if desired (water for dark color, egg for shiny surface)
Score diagonaly, 3 to 4 cuts traditonaly
Bake at 475 for 20-25 minutes
Steam first 10 (throw some water in your oven when you put the bread in if you dont have steam injection)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/frenchbread.jpg
It looks flat, but its not.
You can see the left over portion of a loaf of Whole Wheat bread based on the White Pan Bread recipe above.

ETA: Ok for some reason I cant add xcels in the attachments. Anyone know a way to do it. Its no super important, unless you want to be able to scale the recipe.

StackerKen
3rd April 2010, 08:43 AM
My wife and Both like to bake.

Can't wait to see what is posted here.

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 04:43 PM
I'm looking forward to this as well. I have a soft spot for pastries. well that soft spot is growing because of pastries too :):)

J in AZ
4th April 2010, 09:42 AM
Cool!! I have long enjoyed cooking/baking but lately it has become one of my most rewarding hobbies/pastimes. I look forward to sharing recipes and techniques.

WebTech
4th April 2010, 09:53 AM
I changed the topic title to Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread.

PS Don't forget "Easy Bread"!

willie pete
4th April 2010, 10:10 AM
Yea, bring it on, what do you think of bread machines? I'm sure they do a good job, and are really convienent, but......better than oven method?

coopersmith
4th April 2010, 11:33 AM
Nice I look forward to seeing what you post.

I have a question if your taking them. We make a no kneed bread recipe that we found. We have always cooked the bread on a cookie sheet, then removed it after its half cooked to finish on the oven rack. The bread comes out fine, but its a wide not too tall loaf. Could this bread be cooked in a bread pan so that it would have a better shape for slicing for sandwiches, toast, and such?

JJ.G0ldD0t
4th April 2010, 12:47 PM
Bring it cookie!

Heimdhal
4th April 2010, 03:05 PM
I changed the topic title to Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread.

PS Don't forget "Easy Bread"!

Thanks!

Im hoping to do some vidoes as well on youtube to post here for "SHTF style cooking ideas" with some how to's on basic baking and food prep.

I wanted easy bread to be my first, but I dont own a dutch oven I wonder if a good cake pan will work. (one of the commerical ones that i have, not those flimsy ones from like wal mart or whatever.)

WebTech
5th April 2010, 06:35 AM
I use a piece of Corning Ware. Works fine.

Heimdhal
5th April 2010, 08:17 AM
I use a piece of Corning Ware. Works fine.

Good to know. Ill have to do some this week for sure. Got some flour to use up anyways. Bagels and Easy bread, on the way!

Steal
5th April 2010, 08:22 PM
Found an old easy bake oven , buried in the basment. Blew the dust off and its ready to go. Lets get started, I am now ready.

AOW
5th April 2010, 08:26 PM
I've been doing easy bread loaves in my wood cook stove out in the back sunroom. They've turned out great and I just love cooking/baking on that thing!

Heimdhal
5th April 2010, 08:41 PM
Found an old easy bake oven , buried in the basment. Blew the dust off and its ready to go. Lets get started, I am now ready.

Did you make sure the light bulb is working?

skid
5th April 2010, 09:33 PM
I've been doing the artisan bread thing for a while now. That's where you mix all the ingredients in a big bowl and let it sit for a few hours, and then place it on a hot flat rock in the oven with a little water to create steam. Everyone sure likes it, and the crust is very good.

I mix enough up so that it eventually goes sour dough in the fridge. When I want to bake it, I just pre-heat the oven and rock, and grab a handful of dough and form it into a loaf or bagette, and throw it on the hot rock with a little corn meal. I save a little of the sour dough to add to the next batch of dough that I make. I read somewhere that one shouldn't let dough sit for more than two weeks in the fridge though, so I try to follow that advice.

You got any good artisan bread recipes?, I have only made the basic bread so far.

optionT
6th April 2010, 08:46 PM
Artisan bread recipe would awesome!

MNeagle
7th April 2010, 08:08 AM
Yes, please share your recipe(s) Skid! Sounds great!

Heimdhal
7th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Hey guys, sorry, kinda forgot about this thread. Still getting used to having to go through each individual sub-forum.

Let me find my little thumb drive, as that has most of my bread recipes and I'll post some up. In the mean time, skid dont be shy to post your own either man. This is for everyone to post recipes, not just me ;)

Heimdhal
13th April 2010, 07:29 PM
SEE OP

crazychicken
15th April 2010, 09:29 PM
Hey guys, Im gonna add some recipes in this week. Ive been crazy busy, but I made yall a promise!

Im gonna ask gaillo to delete all the posts in this thread, just so that the recipes wont start on page 2. After that feel free to post anything and everything you want. I will go back and edit my main posts as I posts new recipes to link to recipes that are on other pages. I'll do this for everyones recipes, not just my own. THat way if you want to find a recipe quick, you just have to look at the first post.

As I said before, MOST of my recipes are done in the proffesional format, which is done by weight and not volume. Some I have conversions for, some I dont, but I suggest everyone using weight anyways, as it gives you far more control over the recipe if you want to make it larger, or smaller, or break it down to find nutritional value, etc.

I will aslo include my bakers recipe program, which is an excel based spread sheet that you can put your own recipes into, by weight, and it gives you a full break

I am anxiously waiting !

CC

Heimdhal
16th April 2010, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, Im gonna add some recipes in this week. Ive been crazy busy, but I made yall a promise!

Im gonna ask gaillo to delete all the posts in this thread, just so that the recipes wont start on page 2. After that feel free to post anything and everything you want. I will go back and edit my main posts as I posts new recipes to link to recipes that are on other pages. I'll do this for everyones recipes, not just my own. THat way if you want to find a recipe quick, you just have to look at the first post.

As I said before, MOST of my recipes are done in the proffesional format, which is done by weight and not volume. Some I have conversions for, some I dont, but I suggest everyone using weight anyways, as it gives you far more control over the recipe if you want to make it larger, or smaller, or break it down to find nutritional value, etc.

I will aslo include my bakers recipe program, which is an excel based spread sheet that you can put your own recipes into, by weight, and it gives you a full break

I am anxiously waiting !

CC

I know, Im slacking big time here. I went out of town for my camp and shoot a day earlier than I expected, since grandma and grandpa just couldnt wait to see their grand daughter :P I will try my hardest to get some up when I get back next week. So they made me leave early so I could bring her over to them.

I did put a bagel recipe up in the other thread though ;)

CrufflerJJ
19th April 2010, 05:42 PM
Yea, bring it on, what do you think of bread machines? I'm sure they do a good job, and are really convienent, but......better than oven method?

I think it depends a lot on the type of bread you're wanting to make. Bread machines are OK for making regular bread, but they won't give you the nice crusty French/Peasant/Artisan crust that you get with the no-knead (dutch oven) method.

MNeagle
1st August 2010, 03:49 PM
Anything new to report Heimdhal?? Am craving a nice bread, but am loathe to start an oven in this heat!

Heimdhal
1st August 2010, 04:48 PM
Anything new to report Heimdhal?? Am craving a nice bread, but am loathe to start an oven in this heat!

Hey MN,

Thanks for bumping this thread, I TOTALY forgot about it!!

I Still need to throw some recipes up here. Give me a day or two, if I havent changed this thread any, yell at me till I do! ;)

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st August 2010, 05:06 PM
Sourdough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcRpCkGowTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKtezWoffPs&feature=related

This turned out really well. I just ate a piece 15 minutes out of the oven. Delicious.

This is special bread for me because I made my own starter from the yeast in the air, and 3 organic grapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cyVJVeYB8M&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVwiclWtM4&NR=1

cedarchopper
1st August 2010, 05:41 PM
Wood fired brick oven bread baking, the way bread should be baked...

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/foodart/210/Wood-Fired_Bread:_Italian_Style

Heimdhal
3rd August 2010, 01:19 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask yall if it would be ok if I asked one of the mods to clear out this thread, at least this first page, so we can all post our reicpes and what not up on this first page and then the discussion can start on the subsequent pages.

Ill have them keep up the woodfired pizza link and the sourgh dough (cause those are great links) etc.

StackerKen
3rd August 2010, 06:20 PM
Sounds fine to me

Desolation LineTrimmer
3rd August 2010, 06:41 PM
Okay with me.

Shorty Harris
4th August 2010, 02:56 PM
Sounds good..Rock On

CrufflerJJ
14th August 2010, 09:42 AM
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask yall if it would be ok if I asked one of the mods to clear out this thread, at least this first page, so we can all post our reicpes and what not up on this first page and then the discussion can start on the subsequent pages.

Ill have them keep up the woodfired pizza link and the sourgh dough (cause those are great links) etc.

I'm not sure what's so special about having the recipes posted on page 1. Discussion threads are just that - threads. Not perfectly stacked/sorted/organized bookshelves.

Just my opinion....

Desolation LineTrimmer
14th August 2010, 09:51 AM
I'm going to brag. I've got some really good sourdough going. I've made 4 batches so far. The best bread I've ever made, but as I can't get it to rise properly it is almost flat bread. Still out-of-this-world tasting, and great crust. I think the problem is with the moisture content of the starter, making it too loose, causing it to expand horizontally rather than vertically. A fix is in the works for batch #5. :)

Saul Mine
14th August 2010, 12:42 PM
I have tried several batches of sourdough and I ran into a pesky problem: if it sets longer than two days it tastes like sauerkraut! Any suggestions? I just can't stomach sauerkraut flavored bread.

DLT, I'll be very interested to hear what you learn.

Heimdhal
14th August 2010, 12:47 PM
I have tried several batches of sourdough and I ran into a pesky problem: if it sets longer than two days it tastes like sauerkraut! Any suggestions? I just can't stomach sauerkraut flavored bread.

YOu mean the starter taste like 'kraut if it sits for longer than 2 days? Could very well just be the yeast itself in your area isnt that good, or its picking up funk in the kitchen or fridge (fridge is the most likley culprit).

THere is natural yeast in the air everywhere, all the time. But it doesnt all taste good. ;)

Im no sourdough expert though.

Desolation LineTrimmer
14th August 2010, 01:14 PM

No, sauerkraut dough bread indeed doesn't sound appetizing. As Heimdhal said, different areas have different yeasts, which is the reason San Francisco bread tastes different than bread made elsewhere, but Parisians make famous sourdough as well, so. What region do you live in? Also how do you make your starter, and have you checked-out the video up this thread a bit about making your own starter?

Saul Mine
14th August 2010, 11:29 PM
I bought a starter from South Africa, and I have tried regular yeast from the grocery store. No wild yeast yet.

Heimdhal
15th August 2010, 06:49 AM
I bought a starter from South Africa, and I have tried regular yeast from the grocery store. No wild yeast yet.

Hmm. Are you keeping it in the fridge, or on your counter? COvered or un covered? It could be picking up something thats in the flour your feeding as well. What kind of flour are you feeding it and how often?

It can pick up wild yeast pretty readily. But as far as sourdough goes, this is the extent of my trouble shooting abilities.

Saul Mine
15th August 2010, 08:26 AM
I mix it in a bowl using 1/4 tsp commercial yeast and immediately stick it in a picnic cooler so it is covered and has a uniform temp. I don't feed it and keep it going, I use fresh yeast and cook every batch. I use all purpose flour. My whole wheat has a flavor of its own so I don't even think of sourdough with that.

Heimdhal
15th August 2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry Sal, it is beyond me then. Maybe try keeping it going a little longer feeding it every day or so and see if it develops a more suitable flavor. Maybe the commercial yeast just isnt that good (to you). :-\

But, to make you feel better, I'll add a good bagel recipe!
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/bagles.jpg

Bread Flour.............. 1lb 3oz
Warm Water.................10 oz
Salt............................ .5 oz
Sugar..........................1.25 oz
Active Dry Yeast........... .30 oz

1) Sift dry ingredientes together, disolve yeast in warm water, add dry ingredients.
2) Mix on medium speed for 7-9 minutes
3) Proof
4) Punch down dough and seperate into 6 equal pieces and form balls
5) Flatteb balls with heel of palm, press hole into middle with thumb
6) Twirl Dough on finger to spread the whole, keeping dough even. Dont make the wholes too small
7) Cover Formed bagels with towel and bench rest for 15-20 minutes
8) During this time, bring 2 gallons of water mixed wihth 1/4 cup sugar to a boil
9) Boil each bagel for 1-2 minutes turning over once half way through
10) Sprinkle ungreased sheet pan with cornmean, or grease pan if cornmean is not desired
11) Glaze bagels with egg wash for shiny finish (or dont for matte finish) and sprinkly with Poppy, sesame, onion, etc if desired
12) Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until well browned

Cost works out to roughly 20 cents per bagel.

Desolation LineTrimmer
15th August 2010, 08:49 AM
I mix it in a bowl using 1/4 tsp commercial yeast and immediately stick it in a picnic cooler so it is covered and has a uniform temp. I don't feed it and keep it going, I use fresh yeast and cook every batch. I use all purpose flour. My whole wheat has a flavor of its own so I don't even think of sourdough with that.

I had bad luck with commercial sourdough yeast myself, but one thing is for sure, whether you use commercial or grab your own out of the air, you have to feed the starter, especially in the first 8 hours, and then daily thereafter until it is made. Starter takes at least a week to make. Once the starter is made then producing sourdough bread is easier than using regular yeast with regular bread. You might try a different recipe.

Heimdhal
15th August 2010, 08:52 AM

I had bad luck with commercial sourdough yeast myself, but one thing is for sure, whether you use commercial or grab your own out of the air, you have to feed the starter, especially in the first 8 hours, and then daily thereafter until it is made. Starter takes at least a week to make. Once the starter is made then producing sourdough bread is easier than using regular yeast with regular bread. You might try a different recipe.

You bring up a good point about using the started instead of regular yeast.

Im not as versed in sourdhough though. How would you use the started in the white pan bread recipe above? What I mean, is since that recipe isnt deisgned around using a started what you subtract/substitute, etc and in what quantities? Im only familiar with using actualy sour dough recipes and not making one out of another kind of bread/recipe.

Heimdhal
31st August 2010, 07:44 AM
I made some bagels this morning with the recipe on the bottom of page 1. Heres some pics. I made a dozen, some are in the freezer, some got ate up for breakfast. Its seaseme seed, plain and everything bagels (did 6 everythings and 3 each of the other two).

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4274.jpg

I also made english muffins, which was a first for me. Im very pleased with how they came out. You can see both here:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4278.jpg

I used my cast iron skillet to make the english muffins:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4273.jpg

Heres the english muffin recipe:

1/2 cup warm water (bout 100 degrees)
2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 TABLEspoon salt
(you COULD use all all purpose flour if you'd like)
3/4 cup warm milk
Corn meal

----
Add yeast, sugar and water together
Combine flour and salt together (sift together if you have a sifter)

Add flour mixture to water slurry in stand mixer (or bowl with spoon, or food processor with blade attachment)

Begin mixing on low speed
Slowly add milk to mixture
Knead dough until it is smooth (about 5 minutes +/- in stand mixer)
Proof for 1 hour, or until double in size
Punch Dough Down and knead an additional 1-3 minutes
Cover with damp towel and bench rest 15-20 minutes

Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal.
Divide dough into 8 equal peices (about 4 oz each)
Flatten each into a patty and place on cornmeal, coating each side
Heat cast Iron skillet on low to medium low heat while you allow dough to bench rest another 15-20 minutes
When pan is hot enough, LIGHTLY oil and place 4 dough patties into pan

Cook until dark golden brown and flip cooking opposite side the same (each side about 15 minutes)
Dont rush it, nice a slow is fine, you want them to cook all the way through

Freeze them if you dont eat them within a couple days, theyll last longer that way.

Toasting is recomended (for flavor reasons), but not neccessary