PDA

View Full Version : Just had our first garden salad....

Heimdhal
2nd April 2010, 11:57 PM
got our loose leaf lettuce in late this year, but we put a raised bed in the beggining of March and we jsut had our first full garden salad. The lettuce was great and tasted amazing, but the texture we very soft (which is just how the plant is). It needed a litle more crunch added in. Some other greens would have helped.

I pulled three plants up because I was afraid they will start to bolt soon as our weather has been getting warmer and warmer. Left three more in the ground to pull up when the raddishes come up in a couple weeks.

;D

skid
3rd April 2010, 12:00 AM
Damn you Heimdhal!

I wanted to be the first poster in the gardening forum. I was just heading over here and you beat me to it.

Cheers!

If they create survival preps you can bet I will try to be first there....

skid
3rd April 2010, 12:20 AM
OK, I just got the first post in at the science and technology forum. I feel better now.

I saw your garden on the old GIM. Nice work with the amount of space you had to work with!

wildcard
3rd April 2010, 07:11 AM
Ah, screw you Florida boy. I planted potatoes yesterday for the first time. Ladies and gentlemen start your tillers!

I've still got to build a trellis for cucumbers. Gonna start my seeds in doors sometime this week. I could just stick em in the ground now I guess, but I enjoy doing it.

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm gonna get started this week as well. Would love to be pullin lettuce already!! Must be nice :):)

Heimdhal
3rd April 2010, 09:44 AM
;D ;D

Oh yeah, Ill be taking my peas off the vine here in a couple days. This will be the first pea harvest. Weather is starting to get really warm though, not sure how many harvests I'll be able to get out of it.

AlterEgo
3rd April 2010, 09:49 AM
got our loose leaf lettuce in late this year, but we put a raised bed in the beggining of March and we jsut had our first full garden salad. The lettuce was great and tasted amazing, but the texture we very soft (which is just how the plant is). It needed a litle more crunch added in. Some other greens would have helped.

I pulled three plants up because I was afraid they will start to bolt soon as our weather has been getting warmer and warmer. Left three more in the ground to pull up when the raddishes come up in a couple weeks.

;D

Couldn't you have just trimmed off some leaves? I like my lettice young and tender. I waited till last week to plant. Sadly time is at a real premium for me right now.

Here I am in the house when it is beautiful outside. I gonna sign out soon, have a bunch of cabbage palms to trim.

Heimdhal
3rd April 2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but they werent very large to begin with and I wanted the real estate for some peppers so I just pulled me up and we made a big salad.

I still have three more in the ground that Ill use as cut-and-come-again until they bolt.

bellevuebully
4th April 2010, 02:37 PM
No planting here for me yet (Central Ontario), but everything is tilled and ready to go. Usually we plant June 1 in this zone. Some stuff can go in earlier, but you're guarenteed to lose it to frost. It has been an unusually early spring here. Most of the time we are ass deep in snow at the end of March. I think we still have some winter in store. I'll bet a ton of gardeners in these parts are going to get sucked in to planting, only to have to re-plant.

I'll put in some radish, onion, spinach, chard, carrots, beets in a few weeks. June the 1st for anything tender. Pretty short groing season here (june 1 - Oct 1), but that's ok, because hunting gets going in Oct and keeps us pretty busy.

LuckyStrike
4th April 2010, 05:41 PM
What kind of lettuce do you use? People always have told me not to do it in Florida unless it's in a 5 gallon bucket that you can bring inside during the hottest part of the day.

Heimdhal
4th April 2010, 07:24 PM
What kind of lettuce do you use? People always have told me not to do it in Florida unless it's in a 5 gallon bucket that you can bring inside during the hottest part of the day.

I dont remember the exact variety name, but it is a loose leaf lettuce that doesnt form a single head. You just cut and use the leaves as you need and more grow in.

Its tought in florida, because nearly all lettuce, once you get into 75-80 degree days, it will bolt and turn bitter and unedible. Its getting to that point now. Most books and websites suggest growing it as a late fall through early spring crop. The rest of the year your just SOL unless you do like you say and grow it in pots that can be taken indoors on hot days.

Lettuce has very shallow roots it seems, so a 5 gallon bucket may even be over kill.

Awoke
5th April 2010, 06:21 PM
Damn you Heimdhal!

I wanted to be the first poster in the gardening forum. I was just heading over here and you beat me to it.

Cheers!

If they create survival preps you can bet I will try to be first there....

Oh really?