PDA

View Full Version : New forum launched: forums.keepthis.net

striped_bear
3rd April 2010, 07:01 AM
Hello everybody,

I hope I can post this here. I have no problem whatsoever with the gold-silver.us forum and think that it is great. I have created a new forum because I feel guided intuitively to do so. I have been up all night setting this up.

Many of you here recently experienced the shock and distress that follows the loss of a large amount of important data (i.e. the purging of GIM).

I have created a new forum centered around the principles of data preservation, safe community, and open discussion: http://forums.keepthis.net

Please feel free to join and help me set the place up. As of now, there are just two forums: General Discussion and Anonymous Zone. I want your help deciding what else is pertinent to discuss openly and preserve online indefinitely.

It is an experiment in forum operations and forum use:

Experiment #1: Forum as a public internet archive.

Keepthis.net will be a place where you can publish something to the web "permanently".

- User postings will never be deleted (unless they break one or more of the forum's core rules).
- A complete archive of the forum will be created at least once per month, and made freely available for download. This means that backups of the forum will potentially exist on thousands of hard drives all over the planet. Should Keepthis.net cease to exist for whatever reason, the forum can easily be reconstructed elsewhere with little effort. [details are still being worked out]

Experiment #2: User generated content is free

All user made posts (including user authored writings and user made images) are released under the Kopimi license, meaning they are immediately released into the public domain as soon as they are posted. What this means is: no copyright is placed upon your writings — they become free for anyone to use for any purpose whatsoever. When you post you're letting your words (or images) go, to be used in any way, by anyone, now or in the distant future.

If you want to post something and retain the copyright to your work, publish it elsewhere (such as on a free online blog) and link to it here.

Experiment #3: User created forum spaces

This message board will start with one category and forum, and grow from there. Users can ask for a forum to be created for a specific topic and the forum administration will consider it, weighing in the thoughts and opinions of the current forum inhabitants.

This part is very experimental and further details will be fleshed out as the experiment is underway.

Intent and purpose of Keepthis.net

Keepthis.net is intended to be:

- A place of peaceful community
- A place to publish something "permanently" to the web
- A place of open discussion on almost any topic
- An experiment in the formation and government of an online message board

Please feel free to stop by and help create something new and interesting!

wildcard
3rd April 2010, 07:04 AM
Nice! Maybe we won't get with our pants down again.

striped_bear
3rd April 2010, 08:06 AM
I want to experiment with a new form of forum governance, but I'm not sure how. I was thinking of making things fairly democratic, having forum users vote on various decisions. But I realized it's the internet, and there's no way to prevent some people from voting more than once (possibly many times).

I've decided for now to just invite the opinion and ideas of forum users and go from there.

Eventually mods will be needed, and it will need to be handled in a new way. There needs to be someone to "watch the watchers", some kind of peer reviewed system.

Any ideas?

techguy
3rd April 2010, 08:09 AM
You must be banned immediately!

Now!!!!!!!

There is actually a thread on the other site that is a member begging people to pm the new owner so he can keep a url to lasik danger in his sig.

How far things have fallen.

JJ.G0ldD0t
3rd April 2010, 08:12 AM
stazi.....

Man I miss the old days.

striped_bear
3rd April 2010, 08:15 AM

Now!!!!!!!

There is actually a thread on the other site that is a member begging people to pm the new owner so he can keep a url to lasik danger in his sig.

Lol, ya I saw that thread. I emailed him and invited him to the new forum.

You know you're grasping at straws when you have to forbid your forum members from sharing links to other forums. Holy cow.

techguy
3rd April 2010, 08:16 AM
100 posts?

damn!!!!

sunshine05
3rd April 2010, 08:19 AM
That sounds great! I will bookmark it and check it out a little bit later and help out if I can:). Thank you!

P.S. I love the idea of an anonymous section.

striped_bear
3rd April 2010, 08:21 AM
That sounds great! I will bookmark it and check it out a little bit later and help out if I can:). Thank you!

Looking forward to collaborating with you, sunshine05.

BeefJerky
3rd April 2010, 09:59 AM

Now!!!!!!!

Yep, saw that. That is a sure sign of how bad things really are over there. They have many issues to resolve. Unfortunately, now that a control freak has gained more power, it going to be difficult.

That is why I see so much potential here. Truly a fresh start.

Ponce
3rd April 2010, 10:47 AM
Did you see the new rules that Skyvikin came out with? HES NUTS.

I asked him, in the open, if we could talk about the Zionists and Israelis and I never got an answer.

I do expect to be banned once again........how ever.......I recieved about 18 pm where they told me that they would get out of there if that were to happen.

It doesn't mean that I'll be talking about those people all the time but simply that I want the freedom of posting if I want to do so.

Horn
3rd April 2010, 10:51 AM
Did you see the new rules that Skyvikin came out with? HES NUTS.

I feel as if I can't post anything over there with him in charge, major reason for my exit.

BeefJerky
3rd April 2010, 10:59 AM
SkyViking is rediculous. I have never had problems with anyone as I mostly read the forum. Unless it has to do with a chart, trading, business, or a circumstance I have experience with I generally tend to not respond.

That guy is so happy to have created his own little feifdom. I will be requesting permanent deletion from there soon. I was gonna stay, but I have decided that it would be best to get gone. Just want to wait a couple more days to make sure that is how I really feel.

How anyone with a free mind can support a dictatorship is beyond me. For some of the more radical membership, please consider the extreme possibility of it being a data mining operation.

Book
3rd April 2010, 11:05 AM
I will be requesting permanent deletion from there soon. I was gonna stay, but I have decided that it would be best to get gone. Just want to wait a couple more days to make sure that is how I really feel.

http://files.myopera.com/heartbreakkid1/blog/9331mahatma-gandhi-posters.jpg

You already "know" so just trust your inner voice buddy. It is now serving you well.

:)

striped_bear
3rd April 2010, 12:57 PM
We've got a few more forums set up now on the message board.

http://forums.keepthis.net/topic/5/the-book-burning-that-was-the-shutdown-of-goldismoneyinfo/

For over seven years goldismoney.info was one of the largest online forums dedicated to precious metals, economic education, and personal liberty and freedom.

Then on March 31st 2010, one of the moderators, Scorpio, announced that within 28 hours the website would be going down, forever, stating that one of the original founders, G-Khan, had decided he wanted to leave the forum and "go off the grid".

Many of the forum's members, those who signed in in time to see the announcement anyways (which wasn't even sticked, by the way), began their efforts to backup as much of the GIM forum data as possible. I was one of those forum members. Over a 23 hour period, I managed to pull down just over 3GB of forum data, and the backup was nowhere near complete. Probably not even 25%.

[As far as I know, no one managed to pull down a complete backup. I've sent my contact information to several others who saved incomplete backups in hopes that we can somehow combine our backups to make a more complete whole. The member specsaregood did manage to archive several entire sub-forums which contained a ton of valuable information. A GIM backup archive thread will be posted soon providing links to this data. Edit: Link to the archive thread]

The next day, April 1st, people waited to see if goldismoney.info would go down. Many thought it was an April fools joke, and I myself had my hopes. Apparently, before goldismoney.info went down in the morning, the moderators began posting threads saying "April fools!" (I didn't see this for myself so I can't say if this is true). So far it seems that it was not a joke. Goldismoney.info (henceforth referred to as GIM1) is offline, and is now redirecting to the new goldismoney2.com (henceforth referred to as GIM2) — a replacement forum that was set up by several of the moderators from GIM1. None of the forum posts were migrated over.

What essentially happened was a digital book burning. Over 7 years of forum posts made by thousands of online users, representing literally hundreds of thousands of man hours, were destroyed, purged from the internet overnight (or at the very least, locked away from the public, indefinitely). 28 hours notice to a 7 year memory hole... More (http://forums.keepthis.net/topic/5/the-book-burning-that-was-the-shutdown-of-goldismoneyinfo/)

Saul Mine
3rd April 2010, 02:54 PM
I have one simple rule I always follow: I say what I think ought to be said. If anybody doesn't like it we can talk about it. If they think I shouldn't say it well then they can jolly well provide their own content.

I've only been banned twice. The first was freerepublic.com which you probably know about. The second was http://goldismoney.info/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif kitco.com. I was talking a lot about trading the gold/silver ratio and I got the plan from the-moneychanger.com so every time I credited my source I got a gig for "advertising Kitco's competitors".

MAGNES
3rd April 2010, 04:33 PM
Striped Bear, I am glad you are here and I like your style,
you are smart too, you identified key issues, like yesterday
on privacy, you have insight, I have yet to see your response
to my comments, I have to go, I will spend some time next
week reading, I like it when I see names and good issues, good works,
from honest people and they make me log in, lol, good work on
that forum. You don't need thousands or even hundreds of
people for a good forum, on agora that I was talking about
we had great people drop by, I learned a lot and yet the
regular posters were about 20, we had some quality,
smart thinkers with insight. Like you. And I saw you gave
it to them good over there, they are clowns and you will
never get an honest answer out of them, we didn't ever,
and that was then, why would they change. Some of the
same concerns remain that you identified. The ass kissers
over there really trouble me, followers and dummies.
They should stay there, we don't need this place going dumb.
I don't think that GKhan understands that honesty
solves all problems, that does not mean he has to tell
us secrets or personal stuff about his life.

GIM would come out on top google searches on many issues.
The wars, neocons, etc, Agora did too, this place will too maybe,

I have not even had the chance to read what is on here.
Or who has joined.

But it is great to see Saul Mine.

striped_bear
3rd April 2010, 10:20 PM
Striped Bear, I am glad you are here and I like your style,
you are smart too, you identified key issues, like yesterday
on privacy, you have insight, I have yet to see your response
to my comments, I have to go, I will spend some time next
week reading, I like it when I see names and good issues, good works,
from honest people and they make me log in, lol, good work on
that forum. You don't need thousands or even hundreds of
people for a good forum, on agora that I was talking about
we had great people drop by, I learned a lot and yet the
regular posters were about 20, we had some quality,
smart thinkers with insight. Like you. And I saw you gave
it to them good over there, they are clowns and you will
never get an honest answer out of them, we didn't ever,
and that was then, why would they change. Some of the
same concerns remain that you identified. The ass kissers
over there really trouble me, followers and dummies.
They should stay there, we don't need this place going dumb.
I don't think that GKhan understands that honesty
solves all problems, that does not mean he has to tell
us secrets or personal stuff about his life.

GIM would come out on top google searches on many issues.
The wars, neocons, etc, Agora did too, this place will too maybe,

I have not even had the chance to read what is on here.
Or who has joined.

But it is great to see Saul Mine.

Hi Magnes, thanks for the kind words.

I saw your comments on Hypertiger's blog post about the masons. "the noobs are getting snookered" - LOL ;D

There's been a great schism and original GIM had its head cut off, but GIM is a hydra and look what we have now.

http://th05.deviantart.com/fs17/300W/f/2007/155/0/3/Hydra_by_el_grimlock.jpg