PDA

View Full Version : Flax seed "the ultimate prep food"

Pat Pat
3rd April 2010, 09:37 AM
http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/JamesMcCanneyScienceHour_March_25_2010.mp3

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for posting. I'll look into this more. Its sounds pretty good but I'm always a little skeptical of the president of a flax seed company pushing their own products. Not that they shouldnt but I prefer unbiased information.

crazychicken
4th April 2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the link.

Pretty interesting stuff!

CC

InsurgentWolf
5th April 2010, 02:33 AM
I didn't listen to that .mp3, but I remember that flax contains 3-4 times more phytoestrogens than soy and that's enough for me to stay away from it. I recommend you guys look into it.

Pat Pat
5th April 2010, 09:46 AM
I didn't listen to that .mp3, but I remember that flax contains 3-4 times more phytoestrogens than soy and that's enough for me to stay away from it. I recommend you guys look into it.

I was worried on that also

but it appears that the Flax has a good effect on hormone levels (for men and women)

this guy wrote the book "anti-estrogen diet"

he talks about flax seed quite a bit, at the 4 minute mark "hemp seeds and flax seeds are great for anti-estrogen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jeqb5xOwH0

Pat Pat
5th April 2010, 09:49 AM
same guy saying "soy is bad"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnEmqu2lDk&NR=1

Pat Pat
5th April 2010, 09:51 AM
Phytohormones (plant hormones), particularly phytoestrogens, have generated a great deal of interest in the consumer and scientific community for a number of years. Phytoestrogens, or plant estrogens, are very weak estrogens that occur naturally in many foods and herbs. The chemical structure of phytoestrogens is similar but not identical to the estrogens produced by the body.

The body is not able to convert phytoestrogens into estrogen, however, anecdotal evidence indicates there may be benefits from phytoestrogens for women during perimenopause because of weak estrogenic-like qualities. Some women report relief from minor symptoms such as hot flashes, anxiety, and irritability.

Types of Phytoestrogens
Isoflavones
Flavanols
Flavones
Flavanones
Lignans
Each of these classes contains many categories and subcategories.

Isoflavones
Isoflavones, plant estrogens found in legumes such as soybeans, have generated the most excitement because it appears they may have estrogenic effects in the body. Studies have already demonstrated eating soy foods can decrease levels of cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins (LDLs), and triglycerides. Animal studies have shown that the isoflavones have a beneficial effect on some cancers. And isoflavones have been shown to work as potent antioxidants and free radical scavengers.

Finding Phytoestrogens
Not a soy fan? Not to worry. There are plenty of ways to add phytoestrogens to your diet.

Class Sources
Isoflavones Soy beans, tempeh, tofu, soy milk. Soy sauce is not a significant source of
isoflavones and is high in sodium.
Flavanols Onions, lettuce, tomatoes, red wine, green tea
Flavones Apples, green tea
Flavanones Citrus peels
Lignans Flaxseed or flax flour, lentils, small amounts in garlic, squash, asparagus

Pat Pat
5th April 2010, 09:55 AM
Estrogenic and Anti-Estrogenic Activities

Estrogens are signaling molecules (hormones) that exert their effects by binding to estrogen receptors within cells (see chemical structures). The estrogen-receptor complex interacts with DNA to change the expression of estrogen-responsive genes. Estrogen receptors are present in numerous tissues other than those associated with reproduction, including bone, liver, heart and brain (7). Although phytoestrogens can also bind to estrogen receptors, their estrogenic activity is much weaker than endogenous estrogens, and they may actually block or antagonize the effects of estrogen in some tissues (8). Scientists are interested in the tissue-selective activities of phytoestrogens because anti-estrogenic effects in reproductive tissue could help reduce the risk of hormone-associated cancers (breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate), while estrogenic effects in bone could help maintain bone density. The enterolignans, enterodiol and enterolactone, are known to have weak estrogenic activity. At present, the extent to which enterolignans exert weak estrogenic and/or anti-estrogenic effects in humans is not well understood.

Estrogen Receptor-Independent Activities

Enterolignans also have biological activities that are unrelated to their interactions with estrogen receptors. By altering the activity of enzymes involved in estrogen metabolism, lignans may change the biological activity of endogenous estrogens (9). Lignans can act as antioxidants in the test tube, but the significance of such antioxidant activity in humans is not clear because lignans are rapidly and extensively metabolized (4). Although one cross-sectional study found that a biomarker of oxidative damage was inversely associated with serum enterolactone levels in men (10), it is not clear whether this effect was related to enterolactone or other antioxidants present in lignan-rich foods.

Pat Pat
5th April 2010, 09:57 AM
Researchers believe these plant hormones mimic the body’s own estrogen type of cells and can block the formation of hormone-based tumors or growths. Unlike the hormones produced in the body, these plant hormones do not stimulate cancerous cells to grow. In fact, lignans boost production of a substance that fastens onto human estrogen and carries it out of the body. They are also considered to be anti-oxidants; therefore, researchers believe lignans can protect healthy cells from cancer causing agents known as free radicals. Research findings continue to show promise in this area.

InsurgentWolf
5th April 2010, 10:10 AM
I researched phytoestrogens a lot some time ago. I remember finding a lot of material supporting them and a lot of material against them. But some of the arguments that finally made me decide against them were that
a) real studies done on men showed lower tetosterone levels when consuming a lot of soy
b) soy-growing gets the most government-aid in the US (in agriculture)
c) babies given soymilk had very serious health problems, like very early puberty for example.

Maybe I'll try looking for those articles later on, right now I have some other stuff I'd rather do. :P

Pat Pat
5th April 2010, 10:15 AM
I researched phytoestrogens a lot some time ago. I remember finding a lot of material supporting them and a lot of material against them. But some of the arguments that finally made me decide against them were that
a) real studies done on men showed lower tetosterone levels when consuming a lot of soy
b) soy-growing gets the most government-aid in the US (in agriculture)
c) babies given soymilk had very serious health problems, like very early puberty for example.

Maybe I'll try looking for those articles later on, right now I have some other stuff I'd rather do. :P

I posted the info above, Soy has a different type of phytoestrogen (Iso flavones)

Soy has shown to effect the body (estrogen wise)

Flax seed has lignans, which actually produce the enzymes that reduce estrogen levels
help to carry estrogen out of the body

InsurgentWolf
5th April 2010, 10:22 AM
Ok, thanks for the info. I actually stopped eating (dark) bread some time ago, because it contains flax.

Ponce
5th April 2010, 11:14 AM
I am not a farmer but do have about 170 packs of seeds and a tiller, I will have to learn by force when the time comes.