PDA

View Full Version : The SPAM thread

Olmstein
3rd April 2010, 11:11 AM
I like SPAM slice thin, pan fried, on crackers with sharp cheddar and mustard.

Post up your SPAM ideas here.

http://preparednesspro.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/spam-in-a-can.jpg

Heimdhal
3rd April 2010, 11:20 AM
An idea for SHTF foods, (which is something Im going to put a bit of focus into in my Baking and Pastry thread) would be to add it to green bean casserole. Dice it up and add it in with the cream of mushroom and green beans (and fried onions if you have em post SHTF!), maybe throw in a little fresh or canned mushroom slices and that will make a meal for 4 or 5 for just a couple of cans of food.

Canned green beans is something everyone should have in their preps for sure. Frozen and fresh if you are able is good too.

JJ.G0ldD0t
4th April 2010, 06:09 AM
I like to cut it in thin strips - about 1/4" strips - and throw them in a pan - fry them to crispy then dump scrambled eggs into it.. sort of a shtf omelette-...but not really. ;D

Olmstein
7th April 2010, 04:02 PM
Rectangular blob
Mystery meat in a can
Pink, Delicious SPAM

Book
7th April 2010, 04:18 PM

Dang...twice we agree in 2010...who knew Olmstein?

For breakfast: pan fried, on fresh sour dough toast with two over-easy eggs, Tillimook cheddar, cayenne pepper, salt, and real mayo.

;)

Olmstein
7th April 2010, 04:30 PM

For breakfast: pan fried, on fresh sour dough toast with two over-easy eggs, Tillimook cheddar, cayenne pepper, salt, and real mayo.

;)

+1 on the Tillamook cheddar. Best. Cheddar. Ever.

If you're ever up on the Oregon coast, you should check the factory tour/gift shop. :)

Nomen luni
7th April 2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

....and now for something completely different....

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/toilet_vacuum_cleaner_edited.jpg

JohnQPublic
22nd April 2010, 05:36 PM
SPAM is real popular in Hawaii (never been there, but nthere a lot of Hawaiin BBQs here I live- I like the loco moco). Not sure why. I wonder if Obama likes it?

Olmstein
22nd April 2010, 11:07 PM
The visitor to Hawaii may be surprised or perplexed by why SPAM® is popular in Hawaii. You’ll find it in restaurants all over, and stacked high in local grocery stores. It makes its way into Asian cuisine, is served in sandwiches, and may be stir-fried with a variety of vegetables. The reasons for why SPAM® is popular in Hawaii are numerous, and some of them far-fetched. What can be gleaned is that Hawaii remains one of the largest by state consumers of SPAM®, with people eating roughly 5.6 cans of SPAM® per year on average.

The principle explanation for why SPAM® is popular in Hawaii is that is portable, durable meat that does not require any type of refrigeration. It was first introduced during WWII by American soldiers to Hawaiian natives, who quickly adopted it as an important part of their diet. In the Hawaiian islands where the weather quickly changes, and especially during wartime, the ability to have portable meat products that can be used in case of emergency was especially desirable.

With Asian influence on Hawaiian cuisine, SPAM® is popular in Hawaii also because it goes well with numerous Asian foods. A quick stir-fry of SPAM® and veggies, or SPAM® sushi is relatively standard. It’s not that much different than the salted pork used in many Asian foods, since it is in fact pork shoulder and ham combined. Therefore it works as a good substitute for fresher and non-canned alternatives. This at least explains in part why SPAM® is popular in Hawaii.

Having worked its way into a variety of Hawaiian cuisine, it remains a mainstay of the Hawaiian culture. Early Hawaiians in the WWII era remarked on its usefulness and quickly developed recipes incorporating it. This resulted in kids who were raised eating lots of SPAM®. We all see foods in different cultures that we might not be fond of, unless we were raised eating it. If you introduce a food to a child early, chances are they’ll remain fond of it, though not every Hawaiian eats SPAM®.

Thus SPAM® is popular in Hawaii because it is so widely used, and many simply love it. For many it evokes the food of their childhood, and its uses are clearly multiple. New recipes for SPAM® are greatly welcomed, and SPAM® has worked its way into a variety of dishes. It makes for excellent breakfast, lunch or dinner food and requires minimal care. Like poi, another popular Hawaiian mainstay, not so popular in other states, SPAM® is popular in Hawaii and likely to remain so because of its common use.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-spam-so-popular-in-hawaii.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Spam_ad.jpg

Olmstein
22nd April 2010, 11:20 PM
Must see SPAM ads from the past. (http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/spam-ads-1940s)

JTM3
23rd April 2010, 08:37 PM
Must see SPAM ads from the past. (http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/spam-ads-1940s)

SPAM has never looked so good!

Sorry to be a troll, but deviled ham is the best you can get when it comes to canned meat.

Olmstein
24th April 2010, 12:29 PM

SPAM has never looked so good!

Sorry to be a troll, but deviled ham is the best you can get when it comes to canned meat.

Off topic, but I like deviled ham, didn't know it is such an old product. I think I'll skip the deviled tongue, though

kregener
24th April 2010, 12:35 PM
Spam with Bacon.

http://www.spam.com/ASSETS/B8CB40E0A1A044E784F266556BD00B06/spamWithBacon.png

Cut 2 sandwich-size slices. Dice and fry in a skillet.

Whip 2 large AA eggs with a shot of milk in a bowl. Add shredded Mexican 3 cheese.

Pour eggs into skillet with Spam. Cook until ready.

Split eggs between 2 flour tortillas.

Add salsa and roll up.

drafter
24th April 2010, 12:49 PM
Chop it up and throw it in with a box of Mac & Cheese. Makes a meal.

greenbear
28th April 2010, 01:29 PM
Deep-Fried Spam On A Stick? :)

http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/the-spam-sicle.jpg

SQUEXX
25th May 2010, 04:57 PM
Spam is very popular in Korea, it comes from the Korean War era. Korea is perhaps the only country that you can give a gift pack of spam to someone on a major holiday (Chinese New Year) and not offend anyone! ;D

greenbear
25th May 2010, 08:04 PM
Spam is very popular in Korea, it comes from the Korean War era. Korea is perhaps the only country that you can give a gift pack of spam to someone on a major holiday (Chinese New Year) and not offend anyone! ;D

Spam is the Korean Fruitcake?

StackerKen
25th May 2010, 09:25 PM
Im off topic too...sorta

But for those of you who think spam is bad ( I like it)

what about this stuff?

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/pottedmeat.jpg

lol...I kinda like it on crackers...lol...have about 20 cans in the pantry...only eat it on rare occasions..though.

A friend at work (mexican) calls it "Mexican caviar" .....lol

greenbear
25th May 2010, 10:58 PM
It looks suspect.

StackerKen
26th May 2010, 02:00 PM
It looks suspect.

LOL! :D

Olmstein
28th May 2010, 08:31 AM
It looks suspect.

That is made from meat that is not fit to go into SPAM. no thanks, SPAM is as far down as I go.

jedemdasseine
28th May 2010, 09:07 AM
No love for Treet? :'(
http://abatsheva.misura.org/treet.jpg

kregener
28th May 2010, 09:08 AM
Im off topic too...sorta

But for those of you who think spam is bad ( I like it)

what about this stuff?

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/pottedmeat.jpg

lol...I kinda like it on crackers...lol...have about 20 cans in the pantry...only eat it on rare occasions..though.

A friend at work (mexican) calls it "Mexican caviar" .....lol

That is merely mashed Vienna Sausage.

jedemdasseine
28th May 2010, 09:12 AM
Rectangular blob
Mystery meat in a can
Pink, Delicious SPAM

Best haiku ever.

LuckyStrike
29th May 2010, 08:54 AM
Has anyone ever tried the turkey spam? I don't eat pork anymore so now I'm looking for something to take it's place in my preps. I have some canned chicken with about a 3-4 year shelf life.

Olmstein
29th May 2010, 08:59 AM
Has anyone ever tried the turkey spam?

No, I have not. I'm a SPAM traditionalist.

I don't eat pork anymore...

Gone Muslim? Keeping Kosher? LOL

Seriously, why give up pork? It's one of life's true pleasures. I had some bacon for breakfast, and I have a pork shoulder in the crock pot for some BBQ pulled pork sandwiches later today.

LuckyStrike
29th May 2010, 09:08 AM
Seriously, why give up pork? It's one of life's true pleasures. I had some bacon for breakfast, and I have a pork shoulder in the crock pot for some BBQ pulled pork sandwiches later today.

I grew up under the impression that we are not under Yahweh's law, so I ate pork, shrimp etc. Now however I realize this isn't the case so as it says "if you love me keep my commandment's" so that in a nutshell is why I gave up pork.

Not to mention pigs are disgusting animals so many parasites live in pork. Like I tell people "would you eat a buzzard?" "well you eat lobster and catfish which are just buzzards of the deep"

Olmstein
29th May 2010, 09:22 AM

I grew up under the impression that we are not under Yahweh's law, so I ate pork, shrimp etc. Now however I realize this isn't the case so as it says "if you love me keep my commandment's" so that in a nutshell is why I gave up pork.

Not to mention pigs are disgusting animals so many parasites live in pork. Like I tell people "would you eat a buzzard?" "well you eat lobster and catfish which are just buzzards of the deep"

I agree with you about lobster and catfish, which I don't eat. But pork is as safe as beef in America these days.

From the CDC: (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm)

Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.

LuckyStrike
29th May 2010, 09:27 AM
I agree with you about lobster and catfish, which I don't eat. But pork is as safe as beef in America these days.

From the CDC: (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm)

Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.

No offense intended but I don't take any government source seriously.

I'm not condemning you for eating pork, my intention wasn't to derail the thread.

Anyone know the shelf life of Corned beef in a can?

Olmstein
29th May 2010, 12:24 PM
You mean this? I would guess it will last a couple years.

http://www.mytenda.com/tenda/images/cornedbeef.jpg

I should get a few cans for the stockpile.

Percival
29th May 2010, 12:45 PM
Not. Kosher.

;D

StackerKen
29th May 2010, 12:50 PM
looks yummy though

Horn
29th May 2010, 01:03 PM
looks yummy though

Do those fit into the larvae mixta?

StackerKen
29th May 2010, 01:16 PM
looks yummy though

Do those fit into the larvae mixta?

larvae mixta?
I don't know what that is....lol

LuckyStrike
29th May 2010, 01:37 PM
Not. Kosher.

;D

Man the SPLC has you workin weekends now?

DBCooper
6th August 2010, 11:56 PM
Funny thread and i admit i enjoy Spam sometimes and always a few cans and better yet lately ive been buying the spicy Spam.
Ive diced it up and added sweet and sour sauce and threw in some steamed veggies and poured over some rice,not too bad.

Heimdhal
31st August 2010, 12:20 PM
I just picked up a can of "Hormel Canned Smoked Ham" which I plan on trying in a few recipes to see if it is better than spam.

Im not total adverse to spam, but its not top of my list either and as such will likley NEVER be rotated in the preps. I bought some last year and I think i've maybe eaten half of one can since. Now, if this smoked ham in a can is better, im gonna see about loading up on that, because that I can use on a regular basis for things like mac and cheese (home made, of course) green bean casserole or with eggs, etc.

Also, theres a big tin of can at the store Ive been meaning to get and try, its just a little expensive. Its in a triangular can that opens like a sardine can, but I cant for the life of me remember who makes it. Its about 7 bucks for a 2lb can. or something.

willie pete
31st August 2010, 12:40 PM
I've seen the big canned Hormel hams at publix, if I remember, they're like 5 pound cans I think, and are usually around $14-$15, that's $3 a pound which isn't bad at all, I think they have 'em smoked too....spam; I'm not sure if I've ever eaten spam, maybe when I was a kid, but don't remember it, I suppose it tastes like a high-fat ham?

Heimdhal
31st August 2010, 01:43 PM
I've seen the big canned Hormel hams at publix, if I remember, they're like 5 pound cans I think, and are usually around $14-$15, that's $3 a pound which isn't bad at all, I think they have 'em smoked too....spam; I'm not sure if I've ever eaten spam, maybe when I was a kid, but don't remember it, I suppose it tastes like a high-fat ham?

Yeah, those are them. THeres a bunch of different types and makers though. They have em in all kinds of weights too

heres kinda what they all look like

http://www.alleewillis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/canned-ham-front.jpg

THe BJ's we belong to has the 5lb ones for something like 7 or 8 bucks. Those are the ones ive been meaning to pick up and try, but I dont want to drop that kinda money on something I might not like. Not that its alot of money, but I HATE wasting food, so if I buy the big 5lb thing and dont like it, ill have to find a way to use up the rest. Guess its good i have a cat lol.

ETA: OTOH, I bet in a super SHTF live off nothing but preps for months situation, one would be VERY delighted to have that big 5lb can of ham ready to rock and roll vs canned chicken and spam every night. That 5-7lb ham would be a FEAST.

Olmstein
31st August 2010, 04:22 PM
Don't those canned hams require refrigeration during storage?

willie pete
31st August 2010, 04:28 PM

Yeah, those are them. THeres a bunch of different types and makers though. They have em in all kinds of weights too

heres kinda what they all look like

http://www.alleewillis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/canned-ham-front.jpg

THe BJ's we belong to has the 5lb ones for something like 7 or 8 bucks. Those are the ones ive been meaning to pick up and try, but I dont want to drop that kinda money on something I might not like. Not that its alot of money, but I HATE wasting food, so if I buy the big 5lb thing and dont like it, ill have to find a way to use up the rest. Guess its good i have a cat lol.

ETA: OTOH, I bet in a super SHTF live off nothing but preps for months situation, one would be VERY delighted to have that big 5lb can of ham ready to rock and roll vs canned chicken and spam every night. That 5-7lb ham would be a FEAST.

Yea, that's them Heimmer....now I've had them before, they're cooked, but I had one that was baked with a honey-glaze, scored with whole cloves stuck in it and pineapple rings on top, it was good, IF you like spam, you'd LOVE this :D

I think there are both varieties, refrigerated & non-refrigerated

Heimdhal
31st August 2010, 11:18 PM
Don't those canned hams require refrigeration during storage?

The one in the pic does, but Ive seen many just like it that do not and those would be total worth picking up a couple. Like willie pete said, some are a whole meal, with hone glaze and all the whole nine yards.

Heimdhal
1st September 2010, 12:20 AM
update:

I just made an english muffin (from the ones i made yesterday morning) ham and cheese sandwhich using a can of Hormel Lean Smoked Ham I picked up today to see how it would taste. ( I admit, Ive never had canned smoked ham before, just spam, and rarley at that).

Results:

VERY PLEASED. In fact, I may add this to my regular cooking routine. It would go absolutley perfect in baked dishes like mac and cheese or casseroles; with eggs or just plain on a sandwhich with cheese like im having now. Its a bit salty, but not nearly like spam and it taste 100 times better. Its not that cheap though. It hink it was around a dollar something for 5 oz, where spam can be had on sale for under 2$ for 12 oz.

Will definitley be getting more of this though if I can find it cheaper, or a similar product at least.

Book
2nd September 2010, 09:29 PM

;)

I'm presently on a water-only fast and day-dreamed about this breakfast sandwich yesterday morning. True story...lol.

:D

Olmstein
15th September 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm presently on a water-only fast and day-dreamed about this breakfast sandwich yesterday morning. True story...lol.

:D

How long are you fasting? Why?

Sparky
15th September 2010, 10:40 PM
SPAM HAIKU REVUE

Once separated,
The sow rejoins her children
In a small blue can.

Feet, brains, tail, and snout;
the meat grinder acts as the
great equalizer.

With the empty can