PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Thread

BrewTech
3rd April 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm very happy to see that beer-making is included as a topic in this forum, and it means that making another homebrewer's group won't be necessary...

I'd like to see this thread flourish in place of the GIM Homebrewer's social group!

Defender
3rd April 2010, 11:26 PM
This should be under religion rather than cooking.

BrewTech
4th April 2010, 06:40 PM

Dammit, you may be right... ;D

rurounikitsune
8th April 2010, 11:17 AM
airing out half of my house today to keep it cool enough for my 13 gals of IPA that's fermenting... trying to keep temps below 70. but it's tough!

O.G. 1.080, 90 mins continuously hopped. Thinking about throwing some corn sugar in there to kick it up another notch.

I want to do 15 or so gallons of ESB for the wife and then I might call it a year. This fall I'd like to do some lagers and keep them underground for the winter. Gotta have Doppelbock next spring. Mmmmmm.

BrewTech
8th April 2010, 07:17 PM
airing out half of my house today to keep it cool enough for my 13 gals of IPA that's fermenting... trying to keep temps below 70. but it's tough!

O.G. 1.080, 90 mins continuously hopped. Thinking about throwing some corn sugar in there to kick it up another notch.

That sounds like one hell of an Imperial... whatcha gonna call it?

Saul Mine
9th April 2010, 01:18 AM
Beer bottles reblown into drinking glasses in the Boing Boing Bazaar

Mark Frauenfelder at 3:37 PM Thursday boingboing (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/08/beer-bottles-reblown.html)

http://www.boingboing.net/201004081535-1.jpg

New in the Boing Boing Bazaar:

Glassblower Nick Paul of Chicago drinks beer. (Hopefully, he has some friends who help him out with it, from time to time.) Then he takes the empty bottles and blows out their necks to make flat-sided tumblers. Then, in a stroke of packaging/marketing/recycling genius, he puts them back in their original six-packaging and sells them through his online storefront, Windy City Glass (http://www.makersmarket.com/sellers/908?profile_section=products).

rurounikitsune
9th April 2010, 08:59 AM
That sounds like one hell of an Imperial... whatcha gonna call it?

I just call it DFH 90 Clone, cause that's about what it is. Not quite as strong or as good as the original, but it's about the best I've been able to do.

I am seriously considering using the same amount of grain again, but only making a five gallon batch with the first runnings, doing some first wort hops, and adding a ton of sugar during fermentation and some WLP099 High Gravity Ale yeast and shooting for 21%abv, the original strength of DFH 120. Most people can't stand it, it's like hop flavored maple syrup. But I love it.

The second runnings, I dunno, maybe an light american pale ale with simcoe and amarillo. Never tried a partigyle before but I bet it would turn out good.

Grog
9th April 2010, 11:10 PM
I recently moved to 10G batches.

So I have more beer. lol

This weekend I keg 20 gallons of stout and Vienna lager (think Negra Modelo). Once I keg this, my keggerator will be full and I'll have 5 kegs stashed for the summer months. WOOT!

Sunday, I'm brewing 10G of tripel. (Think Westmale with honey)

:)

BTW: This barleywine tha I'm drinking tonight is kicking my ass. lol :-*

Not to mention the wine and mead that is flowing.

BrewTech
11th April 2010, 11:34 AM
I'll be going to 10 gallons here soon as well... up to now I've been doing extract brewing, but after my weekend at UC Davis, I can't in good conscience make beer with canned malt anymore. This brew sculpture http://www.morebeer.com/public/beer/images/2100deluxestainless.jpg

is the one I have my eye on... it's pricey but I'm seriously wanting to step up...

Grog
11th April 2010, 01:30 PM
Those things are neat but pricey.

I use a large igloo for a mash tun, place it on a folding table. Gravity drain to boil pot, gravity from boil to fermenters. Not much of a change from 5g batches just had a valve added to my kettle. I should have done that years ago. Very cheap and effective method. No pumps, no wiring, no sculpture etc.

I say try 10 g without the sculpture at first, and save some cash for kegging gear. IIRC you bottle, right?

My largest expense was my kettle. 60 quart stainless but I got that on sale at Cabelas a few years ago. If I had to do over I'd get a 80 or 100 quart. My wort is a little too high to the top of the kettle for my comfort at times. Esp. right at the jump. lol

Once I convert the outbuilding into my brewery, I'll probably build a cold room. Check this out. :)

http://www.storeitcold.com/testimonials.php

Grog

Grog
11th April 2010, 01:34 PM

I stick my plastic ferementers in the bathtub, wrap a wet towel around them, and put a small rotating fan on high. That should get you a 10 degree drop. :) My beers went from so-so to incredible by controlling the fermentation temps, so you are on the right track.

BrewTech
11th April 2010, 03:12 PM

I stick my plastic ferementers in the bathtub, wrap a wet towel around them, and put a small rotating fan on high. That should get you a 10 degree drop. :) My beers went from so-so to incredible by controlling the fermentation temps, so you are on the right track.

+1 on this - this is the exact method I use to keep my fermenters cool during the ultra-hot (105+) summer days we have here. From what I've come to understand, keeping fermentation temps stable is one of, if not the most important components to making a great beer.

BrewTech
22nd June 2010, 10:55 PM
Anybody here members of their local homebrew clubs? If so, have you ever entered beer in any competitions? The National Homebrewer Conference is going to be in San Diego next year, and I'm getting some beer recipes together to enter with the two clubs I'm in. Anyone else have any plans for this or other competitions?

madfranks
25th June 2010, 07:07 PM
From homebrewtalk.com, Link Here (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/dog-fish-head-midas-touch-71861/)

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001/Wyeast1056 ale yeast
Yeast Starter: n/a?
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: n/a
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.5
Original Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 1.026
IBU: 12
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: Dark Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-7 days 68-75 F
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12-14 days 68-75 F

Let me start off by saying, this is NOT my recipe. This recipe came from a book that Sam Calagione wrote. He is the owner of Dog Fish Head Brewery. I believe this recipe was created by Bryan Selders, who is a brewer at DFH. I will write down the ingredients/directions exactly as they were written here. All credit goes to Sam Calagione and Bryan Selders. I just wanted to share the recipe with you fine folks.

Description
---------------
The recipe for Midas Touch was discovered in a 2700 year old tomb in Turkey, believed to belong to King Midas. In addition to its exotic pedigree, the saffron, honey, white muscat grapes and higher than average alcohol content are what make this recipe so special.

Ingredients
-------------
Preboil
6 gallons (23 L) water

Boil
8 pounds (3.6 kg) light malt extract - (75 minutes)
2 pounds (900 g) clover honey - (75 minutes)
1/2 ounce (7g) Simcoe hops - (60 minutes)
10 Saffron threads - (end of boil)

Fermentation
White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 ale yeast.

1 quart (1 L) White muscat grape juice concentrate - (3 days)

Bottling
5 ounces (125 g) priming sugar

Starting Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 1.026
Final Target ABV: 9%
IBUs: 12

Process
-----------
1. In a brew kettle, heat 6 gallons (23 L) of water to a boil. Remove the heat and add light malt extract and honey. Return to a boil.

2. After 15 minutes, add Simcoe hops. Boil for 60 minutes.

3. Remove from heat and add saffron threads and swirl contents of kettle to create a whirlpool.

4. Cool the wort and rack to a fermenter leaving as much of the solids behind in the kettle as possible. (Its okay to get some of the sediment into the fermenter as it is beneficial to yeast health).

5. Pitch the cooled wort with a fairly neutral ale yeast and ferment at around 68 F - 71 F (20-22 C). "Rock the baby" to aerate the wort.

6. After the most vigorous fermentation subsides (about 3 days), add the White Muscat grape juice concentrate. Rock the baby again.

7. Ferment for 5 to 7 more days then rack to secondary fermenter. Allow Beer to condition for 12 to 14 days.

8. Before bottling, clean and sanitize bottles and caps and create a priming solution of 1 cup (235 ml) boiling water and priming sugar. Siphon beer into a sterilized bottling bucket, add the water-diluted priming solution and gently stir. Bottle and cap beer. Beer will be ready to drink in about 2 weeks.

K_Flynn
25th June 2010, 09:23 PM
I've seen the beer at the store and read the recipe, but the price for a four pack is outrageous. I'm interested in trying the recipe out, so I guess I have to go buy the commercial product first to get a feel for the taste!

RJB
1st July 2010, 07:06 PM
I've yet to see a war, let alone a fist fight over brewing philosophy :D

I''m a newby. Just bottled my 4th batch, although my brother wants to start a microbrew. He has a 40 gallon fermenter and malts his grains from scratch. He's given me some insight. I just bottled a thickporter. I used a mix of molassas and malt sugar for priming. I used 16 ounces of espresso and a good chunk of ginger in the initial wort. It smelled so good... I can't wait...

Let's keep this thread alive...

Libertarian_Guard
2nd July 2010, 01:23 AM
I'm looking for something 'simple' - - not a microbrewery. Unfiltered wheat beer is my passion, light or dark. Looking for a small setup where I could bottle a few six packs, several times a year.

Something similar to Erdinger or Augustiner would be worth the effort. Leinenkugels sunset wheat is OK but not quite on par with German wheat beers. Well, that is my taste preference anyhow.

Thanks

Texan
10th July 2010, 06:21 PM
I'm looking for something 'simple' - - not a microbrewery. Unfiltered wheat beer is my passion, light or dark. Looking for a small setup where I could bottle a few six packs, several times a year.

Something similar to Erdinger or Augustiner would be worth the effort. Leinenkugels sunset wheat is OK but not quite on par with German wheat beers. Well, that is my taste preference anyhow.

Thanks

Is a five gallon batch too big? That's the standard size kit you get at the local homebrew store.

If that's too big, try one of those "Mr. Beer" kits if they're still around.

BrewTech
10th July 2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks

Is a five gallon batch too big? That's the standard size kit you get at the local homebrew store.

If that's too big, try one of those "Mr. Beer" kits if they're still around.

I would advise against a Mr. Beer kit. You will not be happy with the results. (Most likely)

Saul Mine
11th July 2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks

Simple? I don't think so. I ran across full illustrated instructions a while back. It ran 19 pages. The equipment involved probably cost a few hundred bux. (Propane burner, big stainless pots, special tongs and such, reusable glass bottles.) It's hard to justify that when I can buy fairly good beer for less than a buck a bottle and no effort at all.

BrewTech
11th July 2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks

Simple? I don't think so. I ran across full illustrated instructions a while back. It ran 19 pages. The equipment involved probably cost a few hundred bux. (Propane burner, big stainless pots, special tongs and such, reusable glass bottles.) It's hard to justify that when I can buy fairly good beer for less than a buck a bottle and no effort at all.

It's easy to justify the expense once you have the hang of brewing and you are enjoying a beer that you created yourself. In fact, monetary expense becomes irrelevant.

Making beer is one of the most rewarding activities I have experienced.

IMO, you can't fully appreciate great beer until you make it yourself.

SLV^GLD
12th July 2010, 11:25 AM
I don't brew. I have practically all of the equipment save a carboy and yet I do not brew.
I'm afraid to brew you see. Why would I make a huge batch of mediocre beer? There is no way I am going to be able to make beer up to my own standards.

I sneer at DFH 90 minute. Is it good, meh... try a Founder's Double Trouble, A Gordon's IPA, A HopSlam, An Avery Dugana or a Coronado Islander for comparison. Now, the 120 minute is something to behold. That shizz is illegal in my current state and I have to pick it up when I visit my home state. Comparable but lower abv is Founder's Devil Dancer.

As to the person trying to clone DFH 90min, the Squall is, IMO a better variant and IINM the recipe is the same but the beer is bottle conditioned.

Anyway, I digress. Can anyone explain to me why I should go through the ardor and gallons of mediocre beer just to hope that maybe one day I can produce something I would actually be proud of?

I'm not just a hop head but all of the beers I consider worthy of purchase are absolute top of their class craft beers. The only use I see in brewing is to be able to have beer in TSHTF and right now TS is HTF and craft beer is doing better than ever.

BrewTech
12th July 2010, 08:37 PM
Anyway, I digress. Can anyone explain to me why I should go through the ardor and gallons of mediocre beer just to hope that maybe one day I can produce something I would actually be proud of?

I was proud of my first batch. It wasn't that good (just an extract kit), but I was proud of it anyway

I'm not just a hop head but all of the beers I consider worthy of purchase are absolute top of their class craft beers. The only use I see in brewing is to be able to have beer in TSHTF and right now TS is HTF and craft beer is doing better than ever.

Yes, it is doing better than ever, which is why I have decided to change careers... working out nicely, I might add. I'm brewing (semi) professionally, and it is because I decided to learn how to brew by homebrewing. That led me to meet people that could teach me to make beers that top the list of craft brews in San Diego. My current "instructor" won a gold in GABF 2008 for his double IPA.

If you are ever in San Diego you should come try it. It's currently on tap, but will run out soon.

Bottom line, if you love beer (I know you do) then brew. It will just teach you to love it even more.

PS... Islander kicks ass!! ;D

BrewTech
1st August 2010, 07:14 PM
The 2010 Pacific Brewer's Cup in Long Beach is coming up in September, which gives me about five weeks to come up with a recipe and brew it for competition. If it is a good recipe, I can brew it well enough to place.

Anyone have any recipes they have either used or thought about using for a competition beer? Post the recipes here if you like and we will pick one to brew...

sirgonzo420
1st August 2010, 09:23 PM
I don't brew. I have practically all of the equipment save a carboy and yet I do not brew.
I'm afraid to brew you see. Why would I make a huge batch of mediocre beer? There is no way I am going to be able to make beer up to my own standards.

I sneer at DFH 90 minute. Is it good, meh... try a Founder's Double Trouble, A Gordon's IPA, A HopSlam, An Avery Dugana or a Coronado Islander for comparison. Now, the 120 minute is something to behold. That shizz is illegal in my current state and I have to pick it up when I visit my home state. Comparable but lower abv is Founder's Devil Dancer.

As to the person trying to clone DFH 90min, the Squall is, IMO a better variant and IINM the recipe is the same but the beer is bottle conditioned.

What are your thoughts on mead?

It's far easier to make great mead than to brew great beer.

RJB
7th August 2010, 05:48 PM

The only use I see in brewing is to be able to have beer in TSHTF and right now TS is HTF and craft beer is doing better than ever.
You are missing the point my friend. On the surface, store bought beer is lifeless. They filter out the brewer's yeast and sell it to health food stores. Brewer's yeast has one of the most complete mixture of B-complex. Lack of B vitamins is one of the major causes of hangovers(along with dehydration.)

But even more importantly the difference between homebrew and store bought is the difference between attending a ritual whose significance is lost verses talking to God. It's the difference between store bought corn and sweet corn you planted and picked on a dew touched morning. It's the difference between a sitcom and a movie that you never forget. It's the difference betwee-- oh man you just gotta do it.

If you start during SHTF, you'll regret all the years prior that you could have gotten a start.

BrewTech
7th August 2010, 09:46 PM

The only use I see in brewing is to be able to have beer in TSHTF and right now TS is HTF and craft beer is doing better than ever.
You are missing the point my friend. On the surface, store bought beer is lifeless. They filter out the brewer's yeast and sell it to health food stores. Brewer's yeast has one of the most complete mixture of B-complex. Lack of B vitamins is one of the major causes of hangovers(along with dehydration.)

But even more importantly the difference between homebrew and store bought is the difference between attending a ritual whose significance is lost verses talking to God. It's the difference between store bought corn and sweet corn you planted and picked on a dew touched morning. It's the difference between a sitcom and a movie that you never forget. It's the difference betwee-- oh man you just gotta do it.

If you start during SHTF, you'll regret all the years prior that you could have gotten a start.

I'd thank you 10 times for this post, but once will have to suffice...

BrewTech
21st August 2010, 06:34 AM
Stone 14th Anniversary bash today @ CSU San Marcos... should be awesome!

MANY breweries represented including several from Germany and Belgium.

http://www.stonebrew.com/anniv/14th-Guide.pdf

Ten taster limit... but I doubt they will be small. I'll be working (SDBC), so I guess it really doesn't matter to me...

There will be beer!!

BrewTech
7th September 2010, 09:39 PM
I would love to get the yeast out of this beer!!

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-03/world/baltic.sea.beer_1_beer-champagne-bottles?_s=PM:WORLD

nunaem
12th September 2010, 09:31 AM

If you have enough pride, you'll love everything you make whether you like it or not.

RJB
12th September 2010, 03:05 PM
I bottled some mead that has been fermenting for 3 months. I used intoxicating herbs like yarrow to help it... I sampled a little and although it wasn't ready, wow... You guys that think you're saving brewing for SHTF... I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I will brew some beer tonight and hopefully stay away from posting due to my current "condition." If I do post, it might be a bit interesting...

BrewTech
12th September 2010, 04:39 PM
I bottled some mead that has been fermenting for 3 months. I used intoxicating herbs like yarrow to help it... I sampled a little and although it wasn't ready, wow... You guys that think you're saving brewing for SHTF... I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I will brew some beer tonight and hopefully stay away from posting due to my current "condition." If I do post, it might be a bit interesting...

Three months? You have about 9 months more to go then, I would guess...

I would be brewing today but I have a gawddammed "mandatory" work meeting to attend at 6:30... ON MY DAY OFF mind you...

That meeting may keep me from brewing, but it won't keep me from my usual day-off activities! If they don't like it they can stop mandating meetings...

nunaem
28th November 2010, 05:40 AM
I just ordered 23 lbs of some apparently good honey. http://www.amazon.com/Ambrosia-Colorados-Western-23-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001EO617M/ref=pd_sbs_gro_1 I'm thinking of putting 10 lbs in one 5 gallon batch and 13 in another and maybe adding in 1 lb of wildflower I have into one of the batches. I want one batch ready by summer and the other one to age in the carboy all year. The only wine yeast I have on hand is EC 1118, which has worked well for me in the past but I have nothing to compare it with. Do any of you have opinions on 1118? It made one 1.112 OG batch a little 'hot', but it was 15% alcohol and I drank it too early.

nunaem
30th November 2010, 08:57 AM
This is a good deal on a carboy, 6 gallon for $24 shipped. http://www.amazon.com/Paklab-Glass-Carboy-Liter-1-9-Pound/dp/B002VFXW5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291136146&sr=8-1

sirgonzo420
30th November 2010, 10:59 AM
This reminds me I have several gallons of mead I need to bottle.

By the way, here is one of the best mead recipes I've tried:

from http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

Ancient Orange Mead (by Joe Mattioli)
1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:
Use a clean 1 gallon carboy
Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy
Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

basplaer
18th February 2011, 11:23 AM
Bump!

I'm an all-grain brewer that's taken a few years off partly out of malaise and mostly because I started drinking wines and scotch almost exclusively but I was recently bitten by the brew bug once again. I used to mash in the converted orange coolers that were prevalent years ago but I've been thinking of stepping it up both in batch size (up to 10 gallons from 5) and quality of equipment and (hopefully) finished product. I was wondering what gear you folks are using as mash tuns as I've since lost mine. I really have my eye on the boilermaker kettle with the nice false bottom and plumbed for thermometer, sightglass, valve, and sparge arm. Does anyone do multi step mashing? For anyone that's increased their batch size, have you found any difficulties in scaling your recipe?

Brew on, I'd love to see this thread take off again!

SLV^GLD
18th February 2011, 12:02 PM
I'm still limited to 5 gallon boils on the gas range. I have a turkey fryer burner but the range handles 5 gallons just fine. I also am using a 10 gallon drink cooler as a mash tun and ice baths to cool the wort. Being relatively inexperienced at brewing I still use extracts and partial mashes quite a bit. So far, I have been able to generate acceptable beer on this kit. While I certainly wish to move up to bigger and better kits I have to weigh the expense against more important things in life especially in light of the fact that good beer results from the current rig. The majority of my current rig was already waiting in the attic for me the day I decided to actually pick up some ingredients and brew, which was a years long decision because of my high bar for beer that I will enthusiastically engage in. So far, my beer brings me pride and I have no fear to share it but I do wish I could do about 1000X better simply because that is where my tastes lie.

It costs enough just to put a batch of beer together every week or so. I have not realized any financial relief by moving from buying all my beer off the shelf to making it in the kitchen. It is quite a fun hobby, though.

BrewTech
18th February 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm still on the coolers for both mash tun and HLT. I really could use a better pot (cheap 7 gal) but it's working for now. I've been able to make great beers with this setup, so I'm not in any hurry to change it; I've learned that great beer is made on a system that the brewer knows intimately. Even the most rudimentary setup can produce world class brews when the brewer can play it right.

Put an amateur golfer on the course with a $2000 set of Ping clubs against a pro with a set from Wally World... see who wins.

;)

basplaer
24th February 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm still on the coolers for both mash tun and HLT. I really could use a better pot (cheap 7 gal) but it's working for now. I've been able to make great beers with this setup, so I'm not in any hurry to change it; I've learned that great beer is made on a system that the brewer knows intimately. Even the most rudimentary setup can produce world class brews when the brewer can play it right.

Put an amateur golfer on the course with a $2000 set of Ping clubs against a pro with a set from Wally World... see who wins.

;)

You know, you're spot on in your comment- I've made some great IPA's and porters in a rubbermaid mash tun, plus setting another one up at this point is way easier on the wallet even with usingall stainless fittings than running out and getting high end at this point. Northern Brewer and Midwest have some great conversion kits available. Time to see what the local shop has to offer...

Grog
21st March 2011, 09:48 PM
This is the only mead recipe I've found that is predictably drinkable in less than 2 years. I make this recipe frequently and currently have about 3 cases in reserve. It is drinkable in 2 years but I prefer to let it age none the less. Having made many batches of it, I prefer it made with Minelo tangelos over oranges. The flavor is more smooth.

My advice for first timers is to scale the recipe to 5 gallons. Don't mess with one gallon, you will want more. That is the only flaw in the recipe IMO. It ain't big enough by default.

Use fresh spices and yeast.

This reminds me I have several gallons of mead I need to bottle.

By the way, here is one of the best mead recipes I've tried:

Ancient Orange Mead (by Joe Mattioli)

Grog
21st March 2011, 09:53 PM
All of my fermenters are full and ready to be racked for dry hopping or kegged. Looks like I'm kegging 20 g and dry hopping 10 g tomorrow or Wed.

Probably brewing two pale ales this week. Too warm for brewing with any estery yeasts here so just the Greenbelt or US 05 strains till late fall.

Shorty Harris
21st December 2011, 06:39 PM
Seriously considering to learn how to brew my own brew. And while doing some research I cam across this..

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

And thought I'd pass it along Looks to be some good, straightforward info there.

BrewTech
21st December 2011, 06:46 PM
Seriously considering to learn how to brew my own brew. And while doing some research I cam across this..

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

And thought I'd pass it along Looks to be some good, straightforward info there.

Heh... I'd forgotten all about this thread! John Palmer has been around quite a while and is a great authority on the subject.

Brewing is easy (sort of, meaning almost anyone can do it, but few are true virtuosos), rewarding, and a hell of a lot of fun. I've found that most brewers are the highly intelligent, DIY types. There is a ton of support info on the net to help you get started and keep you going. The quintessential homebrew forum:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/

Good luck!

Shorty Harris
22nd December 2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks BT. Didnt we actually have a dedicated Brewing Sub-forum here? Ive been here since the beginning and could swear that there was.

ETA, thanks for the link...so much good info!

BrewTech
22nd December 2011, 06:40 AM
Thanks BT. Didnt we actually have a dedicated Brewing Sub-forum here? Ive been here since the beginning and could swear that there was.

ETA, thanks for the link...so much good info!

There was brewing subforum at GIM1 (a social group, actually, IIRC), but there were a lot more homebrewers on that board to support it. Vaughn Pollux was actually one of the guys I talked to that got me interested in taking it up. Don't see him around here much anymore...

MNeagle
11th January 2012, 11:33 AM
Coors Light Tops Bud as No. 2 Beer

By WILLIAM SPAIN (http://online.wsj.com/search/term.html?KEYWORDS=WILLIAM+SPAIN&bylinesearch=true)

Coors Light knocked Budweiser off its perch to become the second best-selling beer by volume in the U.S. last year, according to Beer Marketer's Insights.
The new No. 2 brew ended the year 2011 with sales of 18.23 million barrels, a 0.8% gain. Budweiser slipped 4.6% to 17.7 million barrels.

Coors Light is made and marketed by MilerCoors, a joint venture of SABMiller and Molson Coors. Budweiser is owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev (http://online.wsj.com/public/quotes/main.html?type=djn&symbol=BUD), which also sells Bud Light, still the No. 1 beer in the country.

But the trade magazine noted that it is the first time in almost 20 years that Anheuser-Busch didn't control the top two brands.

At its apex in 1988, Budweiser sold about 50 million barrels.

"Bud has been declining for a long time," said Benj Steinman, editor of Beer Marketer's Insights. "The market has changed. This was kind of a natural progression."

Indeed, the entire mass-produced beer business has been under pressure for some years as more tipplers turn to craft products, imports and wine and spirits.

Late last month, Beer Marketer's Insights reported that Beer Institute economist Lester Jones estimated that U.S. shipments in 2011 came in at 208 million barrels, a decrease of 1.5%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204124204577154933357109656.html?m od=rss_whats_news_us_business

BrewTech
11th January 2012, 01:52 PM
Just so everyone knows, 1 barrel = 31 gallons.

I wonder how much actual beer they produced to get that much Coors Light?

horseshoe3
12th January 2012, 08:17 AM
1 part beer + 1 part water = Coors light?

BrewTech
12th January 2012, 08:23 AM
1 part beer + 1 part water = Coors light?

Well, a former brewer at Miller told me that basically the lite beers are brewed with HFCS (and usually 6-row malt) to reach a final gravity of 0.990 - 0.995, then watered-up to lower the alcohol content and add drinkability. So, to call these beers "watered-down" is technically not the case.

BrewTech
8th March 2012, 08:45 AM
Making an simple experimental beer. I had some leftover pre-milled 2-row that I had to do something with. It was sealed up in a bucket, but I figured I'd better use it for something rather than possibly let it go to waste. I decided to do a simple blonde ale, but that seemed boring, so I'm making a big honey blonde. I think most add the honey to either the kettle near flameout in a honey beer, or in the bottles during bottling. I know the Belgians like to add candi sugar during fermentation (if you've ever had Delirium Tremens, this is a beer that is made that way), so I waited 2 days until the yeast was going well, boiled up a little honey and water, and poured it directly into the fermenter. I don't know if that is enough or too much; I just know I want the honey to be clearly evident, not overpowering. I'm going to keep a close eye on it today in case I need to put a blowoff tube on it...

Shorty Harris
28th March 2012, 08:01 AM
Just an update BT. You might say that Ive gotten the brew bug lol. I started with doing a 5gal batch of Edworts Apfelvein. Bottled and carbed up nice. Then got a good starter eqip kit with all the basics. Even bent up and made my own IC wart chiller using 50ft of 3/8 copper refer tubing. Bent up nice with soldered elbows.

My first actual brew was a Brewers best Oktoberfest extract kit. Its been in the primary for a lil over 3 weeks now and I getting ready to bottle either tomorrow or maybe wait till the weekend.

BrewTech
30th March 2012, 10:18 AM
Just an update BT. You might say that Ive gotten the brew bug lol. I started with doing a 5gal batch of Edworts Apfelvein. Bottled and carbed up nice. Then got a good starter eqip kit with all the basics. Even bent up and made my own IC wart chiller using 50ft of 3/8 copper refer tubing. Bent up nice with soldered elbows.

My first actual brew was a Brewers best Oktoberfest extract kit. Its been in the primary for a lil over 3 weeks now and I getting ready to bottle either tomorrow or maybe wait till the weekend.

Nice to hear it! Brewer's Best makes some pretty decent kits - that's what I started out on. I don't do extract kits at home, but I have dome a couple at the LHBS as demos and they have turned out better than when I used to do them... better than some of my all grain attempts in fact.

BTW, the beer I referenced in the above post? One of the worst beers I have ever made. I should have topped off the kettle after boil (to bring the SG down), and done more bittering hops. Using old ingredients does not work. As it turns out, I ended up with a 7.5% (Imperial) blonde ale, underhopped, and not very good at all.

Maybe it will be better after a month with some more carbonation. Either way I will likely end up drinking it. Sharing? Probably not so much.