PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Did my rottie just have a stroke?

General of Darkness
3rd April 2010, 03:23 PM
About 15 minutes ago she tried to stand up and just started shaking, and now she's on her belly and is just laying breathing. Her eyes are open, and I lifted her up to stand and she just stood there for about 2 minutes and then layed back down. She's probably about 12 years old. WHAT THE f*ck DO I DO?

Ponce
3rd April 2010, 03:27 PM
Give her mouth to mouth respiration, just in case.

Hey, really sorry about it, hope nothing happens.

Libertytree
3rd April 2010, 03:35 PM
Not alot you can do or the vet for that matter. Stay with her and keep her calm, she's trippin' out in her mind, if you have any valiums give her 5mgs, it'll chill her out and help her rest.

Olmstein
3rd April 2010, 03:37 PM
Take the dog to a vet, man. 12 is getting old for a large breed like rotties.

Ponce
3rd April 2010, 03:43 PM
HeyOlmstein? shhhhhhhhhhh don't let my 13 years old cat hear you, she thinks and acts like a two years old..............why hell, I am 70 and still acting like a 7 years old hahahahahahahahahahaha.

sunshine05
3rd April 2010, 03:50 PM
It sounds more like a seizure to me. I hope she is okay. I would take her to a vet to get checked out.

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 04:25 PM
give her an aspirin. Seriously.

General of Darkness
3rd April 2010, 04:25 PM
She's fine now, but the writing is on the wall. There's nothing a vet can do for her, she's just old. I'm going to make her comfortable and hopefully make the last days/weeks/months the best I can. A girlfriend found her when she was about 4 years old on the 405 and 10 freeway, completely emaciated, lost and scared. She was able to get her in her car and and I ended up adopting her. She must have been on the street for some time because her first poop was rocks and leave. Well when I got her this was right after the James Bond movie came out with Hally Berry who's name was Jinx. Since she was black and it looked like she had some bad luck I named her Jinx. She turned out to be an AWESOME dog. Smart, loyal, and kind. It brings a tear to my eye knowing that the end is near. I'll tell ya, the circle of life is a f*cked up thing, and certain people, and animals should never be allowed to leave this realm, we need them more than ever, but that's not how things work.

I don't mean to sound defeatist, I'm just getting MYSELF prepared for the inevitable. :(

BTW - Special thanks to I am free for the call, you got my head on straight, I really appreciated that my friend.

cigarlover
3rd April 2010, 04:34 PM
yea thats the best you can do. I love rotties myself and really wanted one but this girl talked me into adopting a dog. I did and got rid of her LOL.

Anyway, just got my dog back from the vet yesterday. I think vets are more expensive than people doctors nowadays!!!

TheNocturnalEgyptian
3rd April 2010, 04:58 PM
It's a little late now, but sometimes it's nice to get a new puppy while the old one is still alive - so the old one can teach the young one the way of your "pack".

I am me, I am free
3rd April 2010, 05:07 PM
It's a little late now, but sometimes it's nice to get a new puppy while the old one is still alive - so the old one can teach the young one the way of your "pack".

He recently got one, here he is playing with his GSD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NI3mDO6JpE

Brent
3rd April 2010, 05:22 PM
Sounds to me like she was dehydrated. Make sure she has plenty of water. Really sorry to hear about this I hope she feels better. Keep us updated please.

Libertytree
3rd April 2010, 05:37 PM
You're not being defeatist, you just know the way of things and sometimes they suck. I had an old Newf and when that happened to him I knew in my heart what the deal was and was lucky a dog that big had lived that long and we got to hang out for a few more months. So soak up the time you can spend with her and appreciate it.

sunshine05
3rd April 2010, 06:49 PM
Do you think there's any possibility she could be diabetic and could be saved with insulin shots? I have no idea. Just throwing that out there.

General of Darkness
3rd April 2010, 06:53 PM
Do you think there's any possibility she could be diabetic and could be saved with insulin shots? I have no idea. Just throwing that out there.

Well I just went to the back yard and noticed that SOMEONE, dunno who, but someone stole a full bag of potato chips from somewhere this afternoon, and I think that might have been the cause to this whole mess.

sunshine05
3rd April 2010, 07:04 PM

Well I just went to the back yard and noticed that SOMEONE, dunno who, but someone stole a full bag of potato chips from somewhere this afternoon, and I think that might have been the cause to this whole mess.

Oh, wow. Yes, that could be it. I hope that's all it was.