PDA

View Full Version : I just used a shotgun 1st time of my life!

Neuro
4th April 2010, 03:02 PM
I guess I have really lived a wasted life...

Today for the first time in my life (41 yoa) I used a shotgun. On my second try I managed to hit the target a 5 liter (about a gallon) olive oil tin container, at about a 100 feet with the granules (or whatever they are called)... It was a very old shot gun (30 years the guy told me)... The target practice was done at my bug out place... He told me you can get a gun like this for around 200 dollars, it didn't have a monocular sighting... People in the area normally don't have license for guns. I would guesstimate the barrel size was about 15 mm, or .6 inches... Quite a recoil!

Sorry if I don't use the right terminology...

I will definitely get myself a shotgun, good for hunting wild boars, rabbits, and defensive purposes!

Gaillo
5th April 2010, 12:59 AM
Neuro,
I always tell people that the shotgun should be the FIRST home-defense weapon that anyone buys. It has so many advantages, and so few disadvantages, it just plain ROCKS!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend either a Mossberg 590, or a Remington 870 pump-action shotgun with an 18-1/2" barrel. My favorite is the Remington 870 Marine Magnum, which is an electro-less nickel plated shotgun designed for boating... it is practically WEATHERPROOF. Get your shotgun in 12 Gauge, it's THE most common and easily available of all shotgun rounds, and the ONLY one you can get some types of loads for.

Little bit of trivia... the most COMMONLY requested item for Vietnam soldiers writing home to ask their families to send them was a shotgun... there's a good reason for that!

Saul Mine
5th April 2010, 02:06 AM
Be sure to stop by www.theboxotruth.com to dispel popular misconceptions. Examples:

"I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint."

"Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job."

General of Darkness
5th April 2010, 10:56 AM
Neuro,
I always tell people that the shotgun should be the FIRST home-defense weapon that anyone buys. It has so many advantages, and so few disadvantages, it just plain ROCKS!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend either a Mossberg 590, or a Remington 870 pump-action shotgun with an 18-1/2" barrel. My favorite is the Remington 870 Marine Magnum, which is an electro-less nickel plated shotgun designed for boating... it is practically WEATHERPROOF. Get your shotgun in 12 Gauge, it's THE most common and easily available of all shotgun rounds, and the ONLY one you can get some types of loads for.

Little bit of trivia... the most COMMONLY requested item for Vietnam soldiers writing home to ask their families to send them was a shotgun... there's a good reason for that!

Both models mentioned are top notch, now if you wanna really have fun. Get an FN-SLP Police semi-auto shotty. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5h3d7Ufm8

General of Darkness
5th April 2010, 11:01 AM
Then get into 3 gun competitions. Here's more shotty video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDj4ZbBYxVU

Steal
5th April 2010, 11:04 AM
Shotgun definatly a good item to aquire in your neck of the woods. I used to do alot of boar hunting near somwhere between Izmar and Ankara back in late 70's. Was only 10 at the time, but one hell of an experiance.

SLV^GLD
5th April 2010, 11:26 AM
The granules are called shot (hence, shotgun) and can also be called pellets although pellets can also mean the type of projectile fired by air rifles.

30 years is not very old for a shotgun. It's just approaching juvenile.

A "monocular sighting" is more properly termed a scope. Some scopes are wide field of view, low magnification, and maybe with a red-dot for quick target acquisition that may be found on a shotgun but generally shotguns are not scoped. There are a few reasons for this. Primarily, a shotgun doesn't require the shooter to apply pin-point accuracy in order to deliver the bulk of the load. The nature of the shot spread pattern means it is more important to match the load to the purpose and generally center the shot on the target at the appropriate range. Another big reason for not seeing scopes on shotguns is that it would take a pretty serious piece of kit to withstand the recoil and the typically rougher handling of a shotgun. Finally, a scope destroys a good deal of your sight picture, that is what you can see ahead of the gun that is not through the scope. Typical shotgunning requires the shooter to maintain a wide field of view and respond to moving targets from virtually any angle (think bird hunting, skeet shooting and home defense). Trying to sight through a scope would eliminate response time.

Finally, shotgun bore sizes are classified by gauges. Gauge is a typical imperial unit in that it has a convoluted history with even more convoluted conversions and exceptions. Most likely you were firing a 12ga or a 20ga shotgun as these are far and away the 2 most popular gauges on the market even as far back as 30 years ago.

$200 is a decent price for a used standard shot gun in working order. $400-$500 will land you one well equipped for home defense. The sky is the limit for a well furnished bird hunting style shot gun worthy of passing down as a family heirloom.

Shotguns are the most versatile of firearms and it behooves every person to know, love and own a few.

osprey
9th April 2010, 03:18 PM
Mossberg also offers model 500 combo that comes with 18 1/2" and 28" barrels allowing you to use the same shotgun for hunting and home defense. Barrels are a snap to change too.

saint
9th April 2010, 03:25 PM
I guess I have really lived a wasted life...

Today for the first time in my life (41 yoa) I used a shotgun. On my second try I managed to hit the target a 5 liter (about a gallon) olive oil tin container, at about a 100 feet with the granules (or whatever they are called)... It was a very old shot gun (30 years the guy told me)... The target practice was done at my bug out place... He told me you can get a gun like this for around 200 dollars, it didn't have a monocular sighting... People in the area normally don't have license for guns. I would guesstimate the barrel size was about 15 mm, or .6 inches... Quite a recoil!

Sorry if I don't use the right terminology...

I will definitely get myself a shotgun, good for hunting wild boars, rabbits, and defensive purposes!

Nice!!!

Wait to you try skeet and sporting clays.
Start with a Remington 870 - best all arounder there is.
In no time you be lusting after OUs and SSs and semis.

If I had to pick only one - what a cruel world tht would be - the 870 is it.

Cheers

ST

Neuro
11th April 2010, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the responses! You all deserve smites! ;D

I guess a double barreled shotgun would be better for defense and boar hunting?

Awoke
19th April 2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah, shooting shotguns (and all other guns) is really a lot of fun!

Just wait till you get the opportunity to fire at some skeet. You will have a total blast. I don't have a lot of experience with firearms, but within a few trys I was nailing 3 clay pigeons in a single launch! (With both Semi-auto and Pump)
Shotguns are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun!

I need to pick up a nice little home defense pump myself, and get the wife shooting it. She has shot before, and successfully nailed skeet as well. We both enjoy shooting together. I intend to make firearms a major part of our lives, and teach my kids how to handle and shoot arms at a young age.

They have been learning on their Red Rider BB guns over the winter, and this summer. Next year maybe I'll get them shooting a 22 or something.

Avalon
19th April 2010, 05:14 PM
A shotgun was my first gun and in retrospect it was a mistake. It scared me senseless.. I had to go back a few years later and start training with a 22 pistol and working my way up. After many months of shooting high caliber pistols I tackled my shotgun again and have learned to love it.. It took three years..

Awoke
28th April 2010, 05:31 AM
Picked up a new one. Haven't shot it yet.

illumin19
28th April 2010, 07:56 AM
Nothing like wakin' up to the recoil of a 12 ga. slug.......huhhhhhhhh :)

wildcard
28th April 2010, 02:44 PM
Glad to hear it!

LuckyStrike
28th April 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm always amazed at how tight a pattern a good shotgun with a good choke can hold. If you shoot birdshot they are relatively reasonably priced to shoot.

LuckyStrike
28th April 2010, 05:58 PM
Be sure to stop by www.theboxotruth.com to dispel popular misconceptions. Examples:

"I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint."

"Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job."

The sound of racking a shotgun will certainly make a robber head for the hills, my question has always been "why don't you have one chambered in the first place?"

As for the 2nd one, I disagree IMO for home defense something between 00 and No. 8 would be ideal.

Personally in my Saiga 12 it's one 00 one No.8 all the way down the mag. Best of both worlds IMO ;D

Awoke
29th April 2010, 03:51 AM
The sound of racking a shotgun will certainly make a robber head for the hills, my question has always been "why don't you have one chambered in the first place?"

Kids in the house....

Personally in my Saiga 12 it's one 00 one No.8 all the way down the mag. Best of both worlds IMO ;D

Good idea!

SLV^GLD
29th April 2010, 07:44 AM

I leave a shell on the ramp in the open chamber. I don't want to try to operate the safety but I don't want an accidental discharge by way of a clumsy grab in the middle of the night. All I have to do is grab the gun and rack the held shell into place as I bring the weapon up to sight. I have no illusions the sound is any impedance and expect to be firing the weapon more or less immediately upon racking the chamber closed.

Also, since the gun just lays casually about, it is immediately apparent the condition of the gun upon visual inspection. Yes, it is loaded but no, it won't fire unless you meet at least 2 conditions.

Awoke
29th April 2010, 10:05 AM
In canada, non-resticted firearms must be trigger locked and put in an opage case, one half hour before sunset, and can be unveiled and unlocked one half hour after sunrise.
That includes Shotguns, rifles, etc.

EDIT: Also, they must be stored unloaded.

Libertarian_Guard
29th April 2010, 12:30 PM
On the very few occasions when I allowed someone that was unfamiliar with guns to shoot my 12 ga, I always loaded it with field bird shot, which is the cheepest, least powerful load. It is also a good idea for a beginner to take the first few shots without shouldering the rifle.

If you want someone to only shoot a shotgun once in their life, load it with magnum buckshot and screw in a tight choke! But seriously, don't do that! Their shoulder could suffer damage!

I may be wrong here, but even in a home defense situation, I would not shoulder my 12 gauge, I have a staggered loads in the tube, with #4 buck & bird shot. Not field bird shot, I don't remember what it is, perhaps #6 or #8.

LuckyStrike
29th April 2010, 04:21 PM
On the very few occasions when I allowed someone that was unfamiliar with guns to shoot my 12 ga, I always loaded it with field bird shot, which is the cheepest, least powerful load. It is also a good idea for a beginner to take the first few shots without shouldering the rifle.

If you want someone to only shoot a shotgun once in their life, load it with magnum buckshot and screw in a tight choke! But seriously, don't do that! Their shoulder could suffer damage!

I may be wrong here, but even in a home defense situation, I would not shoulder my 12 gauge, I have a staggered loads in the tube, with #4 buck & bird shot. Not field bird shot, I don't remember what it is, perhaps #6 or #8.

Peoples tendency is always to hold the gun far to loose against their shoulder. If you hug that thing tight you can shoot a cannon and feel ok.

It just kinda goes against their grain so most people need a reminder.

SLV^GLD
30th April 2010, 03:03 PM
It just kinda goes against their grain so most people need a reminder.
Oh, if they forget they will get plenty reminder.

I, personally, have never made the mistake but I have witnessed many many people do it and it sure does look like it hurts.