PDA

View Full Version : First Spouse Gold Coins

madfranks
4th April 2010, 03:38 PM
Back in 2007, to coincide with the release of the presidential dollar coins, the mint started producing 1/2 oz .9999 gold coins commemorating the first spouses. Two things that I love about these coins are: one, they have made them in incredibly small quantities, many of them with sub 5000 total mintage. Two, for the presidents with no spouses, they have made a liberty sub series, where they use a depiction of liberty from the coinage of that president's day. So far there are three liberty coins in the series: Jefferson, Jackson and Van Buren. My personal favorite is the Jackson:

http://www.firstspousecoins.us/images/2008/2008-First-Spouse-Jackson-Liberty-Gold-Proof-Coin.jpg

There will be a fourth liberty release this year, for Buchanan.

These coins have massive potential for being sleeper hits - years from now it will be almost impossible to find any of these, so in my humble opinion, they are a must buy now.

Hugginator
4th April 2010, 07:12 PM
I think you are right madfranks those could be a hit years from now. They seem to bring good money now for the proofs on ebay. More than I could afford anyway.

Korbin Dallas
4th April 2010, 08:56 PM
I just recently started paying attention to these, due to the extremely low mintages. I think there is a lot of upside in the next few years.

I wonder if they will have first mistress coins too. They could come out with a whole Monica series, from the bobbing pony tail to the stained dress ;D ;D ;D

Hugginator
5th April 2010, 06:46 AM
Here are the mintage numbers-

http://news.coinupdate.com/us-mint-sales-boy-scouts-silver-dollar-opening-sales-figures-0209/

Hugginator
5th April 2010, 06:55 AM
Here is another view, worth considering. Remember The 40-Year Rule in rare coin investing. Simply stated you should avoid rare coins that are less than 40 years old. Why? Because there has not been enough time to establish a secondary market that will provide valuable pricing information. Also understand that age does not equal rarity or value. An Indian Head cent in circulated condition is old but will never be rare because the US struck millions, most of which are still available today. Another general rule might help as a place to begin: Investors considering coins struck after the Civil War might choose an uncirculated example because they are available. From the early beginnings of the Philadelphia mint (1794) to the early 1860's such uncirculated examples are rare and expensive so investors must now consider higher grade circulated coins simply because there is little other choice. The First spouse coins are pure minted govy gold, which can be purchased for nearly spot for early unc. YMMV

mojo
5th April 2010, 10:10 AM
Hey OT but can someone go to GIM2 and message Hernancortes and History Student about this place? I'm banned over there for asking 1 question about what was going on. Thanks. I'm hoping they will migrate over here with their knoledge along with many more.

RUNFORTHEHILLS
5th April 2010, 10:59 AM
YOU just learn to KEEP your MOUTH shut, right?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/ballet.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ahajokes.com/crt191.html&usg=__rhW9mMKm1PSZKZ3GzM9QHw4YeAE=&h=709&w=308&sz=14&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=uQDZUS-IYLIuaM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=61&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscary%2Bcartoon%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

And keep dancing...

mojo
5th April 2010, 01:16 PM
LMAO, I just learned I won't be a part of GIM2

Phil_Schnieder
5th April 2010, 04:08 PM
Hi all! 8)

I saw an 07 ms70 Adams for about $650...wouldn't that be a fair market value at todays price of $1134?

Wanted to see what you thought before spending that much. Thanks.

oldmansmith
5th April 2010, 05:23 PM
I've bought as many of the non-spouses as a I can. Big upside potential IMHO. Buy the others, especialy early ones with high mintages, as bullion (I have a couple from APMEX).

Adams MS 70 for 650 might be a buy, I have one I bought unslabbed at APEX for like 560. It has a mintage of 20K I believe.

chinmusic
7th April 2010, 03:57 PM
hugginators explanation of the 40 yr rule is something I wish someone had explained to me many yrs ago. Also how rarity is only one factor of several that establishes a value of a coin, never mind the price of it cuz those two things are often not the same either.

If you have any interest in collecting or investing in gold numismatics I can not stress enough the importance of becoming as well read as you can on the subject. Also to visit the sites of a small handful of experts in the field and read their blogs when they post them. This knowledge can save one from costly missteps.

Hugginator
7th April 2010, 04:52 PM
chinmusic despite all the research one does, beginners always make mistakes, "If want to swim, you gonna get wet". Just try to keep exposure to a minimum. Been there and still am, And I wasn't saying your are beginner. lol Things come across differently on the screen.

RUNFORTHEHILLS
7th April 2010, 05:09 PM
chinmusic despite all the research one does, beginners always make mistakes, "If want to swim, you gonna get wet". Just try to keep exposure to a minimum. Been there and still am, And I wasn't saying your are beginner. lol Things come across differently on the screen.

Doing a great job up there last few posts.

The BOTTOM line in collecting is to see the forest through the trees. MOST regular coins slabbed went absolutely NO WHERE over the last 10 years - yeah, they appreciated with the USA money supply - POOPOLA homes did that to date. In 2000 my home was $300K now it's $550 K from $925 K a few years ago.

Okay if you get INTO gold GOLD GOLD GOLD (get it?) it is starting to act like MONEY even today. If you BUY common dates in GOLD GOLD GOLD $10 and $20 if you can from AU58 to MS66 PCGS/NGC you should do 5 to 10 times the TODAY price if you sell correctly.

LIKE the FELLOW says - spend 50 hours study read study read study read - LEARNING OKAY?

RUNFORTHEHILLS
7th April 2010, 05:10 PM
That includes SPOUSES SPOUSES SPOUSES did I say the $10 SPOUSES are OKAY?

FiftySense
8th April 2010, 08:35 PM
I too believe this set is an excellent long term investment, however I will agree that these coins would be best left to marinate through the sands of time before expecting much valuation.

chinmusic
9th April 2010, 03:22 AM
Am I mistaken about the Liberty series or is there a 5th coin that features a suffragette scheduled for release? I did a quick search yesterday but had to give up d/t kids. ???

Galen
9th April 2010, 10:13 AM
From About.com

The architects of the First Spouse coin series had a bit of a quandary to solve when it came to presidents who were bachelors or widowers when they took office. Should they feature the deceased spouse for the widowers? But she was never a First Lady, so how can you paint her as equal to the Ladies who did serve with their husbands? And what about the bachelors? Should they use the presidents' favorite girlfriends?

Obviously something more generic was needed in these cases, and with Thomas Jefferson's First Spouse coin, we see the first of the "non-spouse" designs. These designs will all (except one) be based on renderings of Miss Liberty that appeared on U.S. coins that circulated during the president's term of office.

The exception will occur for the First Spouse coin for President Chester Authur, which will depict suffragette Alice Paul.

Areyouanywhere
9th April 2010, 08:52 PM
I want the Jackson proof really bad, but I can't seem to get myself to pay 1100+ for it when I could buy a whole once of gold for about the same. I did pick up a Jefferson proof for a reasonable price.

chinmusic
10th April 2010, 08:31 PM
Opened a package this morning with a Jackson in MS 70. It's a good looking coin. I really like the draped bust obverse. Not so cluttered so the fields really show their pristine clarity.

oldmansmith
11th April 2010, 01:47 PM
I want the Jackson proof really bad, but I can't seem to get myself to pay 1100+ for it when I could buy a whole once of gold for about the same. I did pick up a Jefferson proof for a reasonable price.

I have two! Jackson is a beautiful coin, although I like the Jefferson equally well (hell, and the Van Buren too!). Two may seem like a lot, but I still can't believe I didn't buy any from the mint when I should have bought 10!

I think that there is big upside potential in all the non-spouse proofs. Despite the "high" mintages, I may buy another Jefferson while they are stll reasonble.

mojo
14th April 2010, 01:26 PM
I don't buy spouses but I saw these on eBay and thought someone here might be interested. All PF70s, Jefferson, Adams, Washington, $730 each but with Bing $672 each then if you add ebates etc..

http://shop.ebay.com/sam011577/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

oldmansmith
14th April 2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Mojo, don't do fleabay and allready have two Jeffersons, else I'd be interetsed. The others are bullion.

Andy9999
24th April 2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.firstspousecoins.us/

I think I starting to like these series,unfortunetaly didn't buy any