PDA

View Full Version : 6 survive 700-foot plunge off cliff on all-terrain vehicle in Massachusetts park

MNeagle
5th April 2010, 12:01 PM
SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. - Authorities say six people survived when their all-terrain vehicle plunged 700 feet off a cliff overnight in a Massachusetts park.

South Hadley District Fire Chief David Keefe says the victims are in serious to good condition after the ATV went over the cliff in Skinner State Park around 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

It took more than 50 rescuers about four hours to rescue the victims using ropes to scale down the cliff and pull the victims back up.

The victims are all 27 to 29 years old and have been taken to hospitals. They are all expected to recover.

The cause of the crash wasn't immediately clear, but ATV riding is prohibited in the park.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/89923742.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUJ

Isn't that over 70 stories? How was it possible for them to live?

Apparition
5th April 2010, 12:04 PM
They're in serious to good condition, which may imply that some could die or be seriously physically handicapped.

Just to survive such a fall is amazing.

MNeagle
5th April 2010, 12:06 PM
And 6 people on an ATV???? Didn't even know that was possible!

J in AZ
5th April 2010, 01:01 PM
And 6 people on an ATV???? Didn't even know that was possible!

It may have been possible but I seriously doubt it was recommended by the manufacturer. I would like to know what make/model it was they were in. Perhaps there were trees growing out of the cliff that slowed their decent??

I would wager large quantities of alcohol was involved.

MNeagle
5th April 2010, 01:02 PM
Definitely large quantities of something!