PDA

View Full Version : SHTF Vehicles

DTM
5th April 2010, 02:12 PM
I just picked up one of these at auction:
http://www.deltaforce.net/cucv/m1009-1.jpg

1984 M1009 CUCV
It's a K5 Blazer with a 6.2L Diesel... pretty much perfect except an auto transmission.

FiftySense
5th April 2010, 06:12 PM
Nice find, I recommend auto firing guided turrets on the hood and an oil slick button along with a rotating licence plate 8)

skid
9th April 2010, 10:52 PM
Nice,

Blazer's are an excellent survival type vehicle, with room for 5 and all your gear, as well as being a competent off-roader.

The new crew cab trucks are good that way as well, especially with a 8 foot box and canopy. Lots of room for the family and gear.

I have both! An 1972 Blazer and a 2005 Dodge Diesel crew cab SRW 3500 with 8 foot box and canopy.

I previously had a 1976 Jimmy a long time ago. Great truck too.

ruprick
10th April 2010, 02:48 PM
I like rusty old cars and trucks....some multi-color/primer body panels.....crappy old jeans covered in grease stains and old work shirts.

Best to look poor and fly under the RADAR......while you are tooling around in the beast packing your Glock - trying to fin into a broken society.

Try not to look too well prepared.

DTM
13th April 2010, 12:50 AM
That's an excellent point, ruprick.
Luckily, the camo Blazer fits right in with my neighbors rides (beat up and primered 4x4's)

I'd really like to pick up an old Cadillac or Crown Vic next... in case we need to stroll into the ghettoes.

Ironfield
13th April 2010, 02:21 AM
Congratulations DTM on the new(ish) set of wheels.

I stumbled on this beautiful beast of burden this morning and though i'd share If it wasn't for the $275,000 price tag . . . well I think we all would want one.

Ladies and gents I present to you theEcoRoamer: The High-Tech, Zombie-Proof Survival RV (http://jalopnik.com/5514798/ecoroamer-the-high+tech-zombie+proof-survival-rv)

-Ironfield

LuckyStrike
24th April 2010, 09:50 PM
I would say ATV's offer serious advantages for those that may not have looked into them. I have ridden 4 wheelers my whole life and am amazed at what they can go through and the amount of abuse they can take. Essentially you could carry about as much as you could horseback, less than a truck but more than you could on foot.

There are advantages and disadvantages but if you have somewhat of a base of operations and only need to travel in say a 25 mile radius of that, I would choose an ATV.

Anything but Polaris.

Ironfield
25th April 2010, 02:51 AM
Nordic Berserker I think an ATV would be a good addition for those looking for more maneuverability and mobility in the paw.
As you said though they have advantages and disadvantages, in my own personal experience we usually take a few ATV’s out into the desert where we live every so often and found that they have a horrible tendency to flip over backwards on steep inclines with inexperienced and novice riders at the helm.

Granted it can be chalked up to a learning curve but having them weighed down with preps and have that go over on you could lead to some rather stick situations.

I guess what I’m getting at is like BOB’s, GHBs, firearms and other preps they need to be field tested and become comfortable with rather than waiting for The STHTF.

-Ironfield

LuckyStrike
25th April 2010, 09:42 AM
Nordic Berserker I think an ATV would be a good addition for those looking for more maneuverability and mobility in the paw.
As you said though they have advantages and disadvantages, in my own personal experience we usually take a few ATV’s out into the desert where we live every so often and found that they have a horrible tendency to flip over backwards on steep inclines with inexperienced and novice riders at the helm.

Granted it can be chalked up to a learning curve but having them weighed down with preps and have that go over on you could lead to some rather stick situations.

I guess what I’m getting at is like BOB’s, GHBs, firearms and other preps they need to be field tested and become comfortable with rather than waiting for The STHTF.

-Ironfield

Yeah that is sound advice.

Like horses to, you need to learn how to ride if you plan on using them post SHTF. The time to learn is now not afterwords.

skid
27th April 2010, 05:20 PM

-Ironfield

There's been plenty of people killed by Quad's rolling over them, especially children who are being doubled by the parent.

LuckyStrike
27th April 2010, 05:40 PM

-Ironfield

There's been plenty of people killed by Quad's rolling over them, especially children who are being doubled by the parent.

The advantage though is the 4wheeler does what you want they don't make themselves go over dangerous terrain the rider does.

Stupidity kills a ton of people but I doubt many of them will be around a month or so after TSHTF.

skid
27th April 2010, 06:02 PM

-Ironfield

The advantage though is the 4wheeler does what you want they don't make themselves go over dangerous terrain the rider does.

Stupidity kills a ton of people but I doubt many of them will be around a month or so after TSHTF.

Very true,

A 4wd quad will go places you wouldn't believe if you have never ridden one before. The people that get hurt push the limits and often times aren't even wearing a helmet. A local father of 4 near me died like that recently. 4 kids without a father now... sad