PDA

View Full Version : Four main firearms to have.......

Ponce
5th April 2010, 02:17 PM
A pistol, a .22, a shoot gun and a long barrel rifle........

Why say you and why?

Heimdhal
5th April 2010, 02:23 PM
Think it kinda answeres itself.

.22's are great for practice, critter control, small game hunting, and jsut all around fun. Also special primer fired ammo is available for less noise in urban environments (for whatever reason you may have from hunting to practice).

Shot gun is an all around good tool to have. In fact, a rifled shotgun barrel may even be a substitute for a long barrel rifle if you cant afford one. There are few ends to what can be accomplished with a good shotty.

Pistol and LBR are self explanatory. Cocnealement and Self Defense for the first. Range and stopping power/hunting for the latter.

Gaillo
6th April 2010, 12:05 AM
For me, it would have to be:

.22 bolt-action rifle, scoped (4x fixed) - varmint hunting
9mm semi-auto pistol - sidearm
12 Gauge pump-action shotgun - close quarters combat/home defense mainstay
.260 Rem. bolt action rifle, scoped (4-16x variable) - long range combat/large game hunting

I know... no .223 or 7.62 semi-rifle (AR-15, AK-47, etc.) - I'm FIRMLY of the opinion that that should be the LAST of the five you should obtain.

Marksmanship and utility FIRST, high-rate-of-fire SECOND.

NOOB
6th April 2010, 04:36 AM
I disagree Gaillo. Marksmanship is key but autoloaders are not just for high rate of fire. The less time you spend manipulating the rifle the more time you can use your marksmanship. Multiple targets at close range(100 yds and under) and a bolt gun could get you in deep doodoo .

Give me a m1a, ak or ar.

Bench shooting at paper or shooting a deer in the woods is different than combat shooting.

Heimdhal
6th April 2010, 08:07 AM
I disagree Gaillo. Marksmanship is key but autoloaders are not just for high rate of fire. The less time you spend manipulating the rifle the more time you can use your marksmanship. Multiple targets at close range(100 yds and under) and a bolt gun could get you in deep doodoo .

Give me a m1a, ak or ar.

Bench shooting at paper or shooting a deer in the woods is different than combat shooting.

+1

I know people that hunt deer with SKS's and AK's. Just because its an autloader dont mean its jsut for spray and pray. Youll be more inclined to do so, however, but thats something you work on in training.

However, having a good bolt gun is a good idea. Even if its just a beat up mosin nagant, you can do a lot of damage with that out to very long ranges.

As far as hand gun, I would suggest anything decent in 9mm .40 and .45 since those are the most common hand gun rounds used in the US.

IHS
6th April 2010, 06:34 PM
pistol, rifle, shotgun, flamethrower

Awoke
8th April 2010, 09:17 AM
LOL @ "Flamethrower"

;D

Neuro
11th April 2010, 06:09 AM
If you only had one? What would that be?

I am in the process of getting a firearm, but I have none yet! I want to use it for home defense/intimidation and hunting boar, rabbits and birds...

Shot gun?

kregener
11th April 2010, 06:52 AM
A Springfield M1A gives you both the ability to knock down an elk AND engage multiple advancing adversaries.

wallew
26th April 2010, 04:12 PM
10 yards or less

25 yards or less

100 yards or less

200 yards OR MORE

THOSE are the categories you WILL face at different times. I have my own choices as to what I would pick up, depending on the distances involved. Your choices will vary from anyone else.

But you need to be able to 'address targets' at each of those distances.

Multiple targets complicate things, but not overly so. Especially if you are not going it alone.

drafter
26th April 2010, 04:25 PM
Though technically not a "firearm", Having a high powered pellet gun is kinda nice too. Works well on small game and is pretty quiet for those of us not willing to jump thru the licensing hoops or expense for a "silenced" .22. You can practice your marksmenship cheap too.

freedom42
26th April 2010, 05:17 PM
LOL @ "Flamethrower"

;D

Ditto on that.!

freedom42
26th April 2010, 05:22 PM
10 yards or less <--- handgun

25 yards or less <----shotgun

100 yards or less <----Any auto Carbine/shotgun

200 yards OR MORE <----M1A, FAL, .308 or 30-06 bolt, Savage .243 or .270,

THOSE are the categories you WILL face at different times. I have my own choices as to what I would pick up, depending on the distances involved. Your choices will vary from anyone else.

But you need to be able to 'address targets' at each of those distances.

Multiple targets complicate things, but not overly so. Especially if you are not going it alone.

k-os
26th April 2010, 05:28 PM
The four main firearms to have are the ones I have. But I am sure I will get more.

Hand gun
Shot gun
Old school bolt action rifle, no scope
New rifle, scoped

A flamethrower would round it out nicely, though.

sunnyandseventy
26th April 2010, 05:57 PM
Multiple targets complicate things, but not overly so. Especially if you are not going it alone

Wallew are you still a mod at the Censored Duece?

Gknowmx
26th April 2010, 07:04 PM
The four main firearms to have are the ones I have. But I am sure I will get more.

Hand gun--- check
Shot gun --- check
Old school bolt action rifle, no scope--- check
New rifle, scoped ---check

A flamethrower would round it out nicely, though. --- with or without a scope?

ruprick
26th April 2010, 08:33 PM
.22LR Rifle - like a Ruger 10/22 rifle

Fighting Pistol you can carry in a pocket...something like a small 38 revolver.

Rifle....prefer something like a military rifle.....but a deer rifle is pretty good.

A 22LR Pistol for training.

A 12 ga shotgun - like a Remington 870.

So you must have at least 5.

SHTF2010
27th April 2010, 05:49 AM
Colt 1911 ( never tried glocks )

Ruger 10/22 ( survival and enemy nuisance )

bolt action with scope ( reach out and touch someone )

sawed off shotgun ( buckshot / birdshot )

and if i could have only one for survival, i'd choose the 22 ( with mega ammo )

but up here in Canada, GUNS ARE BAD, so all of the above is just wishful thinking

ruprick
27th April 2010, 07:55 AM
Tough to beat a 22LR with a ton of ammo.

Back 15 years ago a guy used a Ruger 10/22 (sawed off) at the post office in Royal Oak, MI.....I think 9 people were killed with that little 22LR.

I think that was the main starter event for the term "Going Postal".

A 22 LR in a rifle is a highly under-rated weapon.

Heimdhal
27th April 2010, 11:59 AM
Tough to beat a 22LR with a ton of ammo.

Back 15 years ago a guy used a Ruger 10/22 (sawed off) at the post office in Royal Oak, MI.....I think 9 people were killed with that little 22LR.

I think that was the main starter event for the term "Going Postal".

A 22 LR in a rifle is a highly under-rated weapon.

+1 to that.

A good .22 with good ammo is a must have in any collection.

at least, thats how I convinced my wife to let me buy my marlin 795 :P

Dawg
27th April 2010, 10:01 PM
Much sage advice here. I have a laptop case that has a Kel Tech Sub 2000 and a Glock 17 in it, with three 33 round mags, and four 17 round mags loaded up and ready to hit the road on a moments notice. Thats my bugout weaponry.

As part of my arsenal though, I have 22cal in pistol and rifle, and a couple more pistol caliber carbines and an 870. No rifle.......yet, I am still thinking that one through. I have a 1911 in 45acp and a Smith model 10 too.

skid
27th April 2010, 10:12 PM

but up here in Canada, GUNS ARE BAD, so all of the above is just wishful thinking

Don't be ignorant and misinformed. All the above are available in Canada, except sawing off a shot gun to less than 18 inches is illegal. You can even buy belt fed semi auto machine guns if you want. www.marstar.ca

JohnQPublic
27th April 2010, 10:30 PM

Hand gun
Shot gun
Old school bolt action rifle, no scope
New rifle, scoped

A flamethrower would round it out nicely, though.

How about a bazooka?

illumin19
27th April 2010, 11:36 PM
A 22lr is a must

500 rounds in the pocket, low flash/sound, can do more jobs than you think.

9mm/40 s&w/45 acp sidearm

Take your pick.....everyone needs a sidearm.

12 GA.

Versatility.................................yea that's it.

Rifle

Either a 5.56 with a 20 inch barrel or a 308 with at least a 20 inch barrel also.

Awoke
28th April 2010, 05:30 AM
I'm seeing a lot of people saying that a 22LR is a must have...

I guess I should make that my next purchase.

And Skid:
SHTF2010 knows the Canadian gun laws. SHFT2010 was Canadian Guerilla on GIM. He knows what-the-fuck is up. For sure. I think he was just playing silly.

Celtic Rogue
28th April 2010, 07:43 AM
Mine are...

AK-47 7.62x39
Saiga 12 gauge
Savage .17HMR
Mosberg 22
Ruger SR9 9mm

Sparky
28th April 2010, 08:11 AM
Question: What is the sentiment here on buying new versus used? Do some of you avoid used? Any particular advice?

crazychicken
28th April 2010, 08:16 AM
Maybe 10%of my firearms purchases are used items.

Personal preference.

CC

Awoke
28th April 2010, 08:18 AM
50% of mine are used.

freespirit
28th April 2010, 09:16 AM
i feel that regardless of what type of firearm(s) one chooses, be it pistol, rifle or shottie (or even high velocity air rifle) the shooter needs to be comfortable with the piece's weight, recoil, and assembly...you won't shoot well with a gun you aren't familiar with, you won't shoot often with a gun that almost puts you on your ass, and you won't shoot at all if it jams and you can't take it apart for cleaning and service...just my opinion...lol

k-os
28th April 2010, 09:29 AM
Nice first post, freespirit! Welcome.

Awoke
28th April 2010, 09:59 AM
Wecome here Freespirit!

Freespirit is a close and personal friend of mine since I was about 9 years old. Glad to see you took me up on the invitation! Welcome to the Red-pill learning center.

:D

crazychicken
28th April 2010, 10:07 AM
i feel that regardless of what type of firearm(s) one chooses, be it pistol, rifle or shottie (or even high velocity air rifle) the shooter needs to be comfortable with the piece's weight, recoil, and assembly...you won't shoot well with a gun you aren't familiar with, you won't shoot often with a gun that almost puts you on your ass, and you won't shoot at all if it jams and you can't take it apart for cleaning and service...just my opinion...lol

Very well said. Most keyboard commandos have no concept that it takes more than talk to do the walk.

Not refering to anyone on this site, of course.

Welcome to the Gold-Silver.us collection of miscreants.
CC

freespirit
28th April 2010, 10:54 AM
thanks, everyone!! real happy to be here!!

Heimdhal
28th April 2010, 12:02 PM

Another big reason I highly encouraged people to attend a firearms instruction "class" like Appleseed even before I went to one.

Its not enough having a gun. Its not even enough having the resolve to use it when needed, one must know how to use it efficiently or youll find yourself on the losing end of a gun FIGHT real quick.

Something I always said on GIM: You dont carry a gun to shoot it, you carry a gun to FIGHT WITH IT. Static targets at the range do NOT equal animated targets in real life, that may be shooting back. learn to shoot your gun, then learn how to FIGHT with it.

You cant miss fast enough to win. ;)

Sparky
6th June 2010, 09:26 PM
Trying to catch up on my gun learnin'...

It seems like a lot of people own .22s because they are more affordable for getting in lots of target practice. But if you do most of your target practice with the .22, don't you become so accustomed to the way it handles that you won't have your touch with some other "go to" gun when you really need it?

willie pete
6th June 2010, 09:37 PM
I guess it would depend on what you're "going to", from a .22LR to a 12ga, that's a Hell-of-a-difference, and while a .22LR is no elephant gun, it'll put you down, and it's VERY controllable, I don't mean anything negative, but remember when Prez Reagan was shot? Remember Jim Brady? he caught one .22 in the head and went down, we all know it didn't kill him, but he went down, and being in a critical situation, the first one might not completely incapitate an intruder, it'd give you time to PLACE your next one, and my old Marlin Model 60 holds 18 LR rounds

Heimdhal
6th June 2010, 10:15 PM
Trying to catch up on my gun learnin'...

It seems like a lot of people own .22s because they are more affordable for getting in lots of target practice. But if you do most of your target practice with the .22, don't you become so accustomed to the way it handles that you won't have your touch with some other "go to" gun when you really need it?

its always good to practice with you "main" gear, but a .22 is invaluable with todays ammo prices. The basics are all the same for every rifle: Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Trigger Squeeze, breath control, focus, follow through etc. Its good to practice these on a .22 so you dont develop any nasty habbits that higher caliber rifles may give you, like flinching, heeling, anticipating recoil.

They are hard habbits to break, and wont really develop with a .22, giving you a chance to get the fundamentals ( the so called 'six steps') ingrained into your muscle memory. Take your main gun with you when you break the .22 out and practice the steps. When you notice yourself starting to develop bad habbits with your main gun, STOP SHOOTING.

If you notice that you are begining to antcipate recoil (body doesnt want to take anymore pain) or you are getting sloppy with sight alignment and try to make up for it with faster rates of fire, thus destroying your trigger squeeze/control, stop shooting, you're done for the day. Otherwise, your muscles will "memorize" those acts and when the bullets start to fly for real, thats what theyll do automaticaly, and thats not good.

These fundamentals carry over to ALL firearms, so might as well develop them on something that wont rape your bank account. (big reason I use a gas powered airsoft pistol to practice CCW shooting).

big country
7th June 2010, 07:43 AM
.22 is not only an invaluable learning tool, I would say it would be my FIRST choice for a gun I had to use to "bug out". Its small and light (and if you have a 10/22 you can build it even lighter if you want to put $$ into it) and the ammo is small and light. I can toss 1000 rounds into the bottom of a pack and only add like 5lbs to the pack.

.22lr can get you dinner (won't tear up small critters like larger/higher velocity calibers), it can protect you if necessary, and being a repeater you can get FAST follow up shots because there is very little recoil.

I'd grab my 10/22 before my Ar-15 if I could only grab one gun and go.

Heimdhal
7th June 2010, 08:21 AM
.22 is not only an invaluable learning tool, I would say it would be my FIRST choice for a gun I had to use to "bug out". Its small and light (and if you have a 10/22 you can build it even lighter if you want to put $$ into it) and the ammo is small and light. I can toss 1000 rounds into the bottom of a pack and only add like 5lbs to the pack.

.22lr can get you dinner (won't tear up small critters like larger/higher velocity calibers), it can protect you if necessary, and being a repeater you can get FAST follow up shots because there is very little recoil.

I'd grab my 10/22 before my Ar-15 if I could only grab one gun and go.

Ammo weight is definitley something to consider. Its something I see a lot of "survivalist" boards under antcipate. While I dont think bugging out is a good "first option" its at least worth considering. I see people talk about bugging out and saying "Oh, well My pack is only 30-40 pounds". Granted thats not much, but for those who are also packing weapons, they seem to over look that an AK, with steel mags and 300-ish rounds of steel cased ammo is going to weigh an additional 45-50 pounds.

Even when I was in good hiking shape, huffing 80-90 pounds, 20+ mile a day over rough, possibly hostile terrain when S is HTF does not seem like its going to have a good outcome, particularly if you're towing a wife and some kids around.

Ive been thinking about getting a pistol caliber carbine. The Kel Tec .40 cal that takes glock mags seems like a good idea. Theres a crap ton of .40 cal ammo in the US because of its police use, and glocks are incredibly common as well, and the mags are cheap. You cant carry 1,000 rounds like with a .22, but its got a little more bang for a similar range, and you can most likley carry more ammo than you're average center fire long gun.

Anyone know what a loaded AR mag weighs, by chance? Ive never actualy weighed one.

big country
7th June 2010, 09:29 AM
I agree that bugging out is a LAST resort. If I ever had to grab and go, my 10/22 would be the one I grabbed w/o hesitation.

I've never weighed an AR mag, I only have polymer mags too so they may be lighter? I dont have a scale that can handle that much weight at home though or I would weigh one for you. (only have a 200g capacity scale for weighing coins). I MIGHT be able to weigh an empty mag and add the weight of one bullet x 30, but I dont think my scale can handle even the empty mag.

Dont discount the .22lr is all I was trying to say. It is probably one of my favorite guns to shoot!

Heimdhal
7th June 2010, 12:17 PM
I agree that bugging out is a LAST resort. If I ever had to grab and go, my 10/22 would be the one I grabbed w/o hesitation.

I've never weighed an AR mag, I only have polymer mags too so they may be lighter? I dont have a scale that can handle that much weight at home though or I would weigh one for you. (only have a 200g capacity scale for weighing coins). I MIGHT be able to weigh an empty mag and add the weight of one bullet x 30, but I dont think my scale can handle even the empty mag.

Dont discount the .22lr is all I was trying to say. It is probably one of my favorite guns to shoot!

Plenty of people have been laid low by the "lowly" .22

Theres even some 60 grain .22 ammo out there I've seen. Its subsonic, but I cant imagine it feels any good taking one to the face. Head/face shots would almost obligitory with a .22 though, but it certainly make some one duck or think twice about continuing to come after you. Just hope they dont hide behind something other than a few sheets of paper lol.

I think a tube fed .22 would be good if people are really expecting a total SHTF. That way you dont have mags to worry about. I can barley find mags for my marlin now. Rugers are like glocks, they have more available and cheaper and everyone has em, but still better to stock up now!

Terry853
7th June 2010, 12:57 PM

That's not correct. The license is easy to get. A couple days in class. I have all of the above and more. Plus they have made it way easier now to transport hand guns. Plan on picking me up another 1911 in the near future.

Terry853
7th June 2010, 01:08 PM

That's not correct. The license is easy to get. A couple days in class. I have all of the above and more. Plus they have made it way easier now to transport hand guns. Plan on picking me up another 1911 in the near future.
Sorry TSHTF after finishing the thread I can now detect the sarcasm.

k-os
7th June 2010, 01:15 PM

I applauded you for your ability to apologize. It takes a very big man (or woman) to give an apology. Welcome to GSUS!

Heimdhal
7th June 2010, 09:05 PM

I applauded you for your ability to apologize. It takes a very big man (or woman) to give an apology. Welcome to GSUS!

Boo, apologizing is for sissies! Take it to THUNDERDOME!!!

j/k ;D

Sparky
8th June 2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the responses on the .22.

Next: 9mm (handgun) suggestion, or one to avoid?

Book
8th June 2010, 07:41 PM

http://www.midwest-outfitters.com/images/Glock-19.jpg

Glock G19 with factory night sights. My absolute favorite weapon.

:)

Heimdhal
8th June 2010, 07:43 PM

http://www.midwest-outfitters.com/images/Glock-19.jpg

Glock G19 with factory night sights. My absolute favorite weapon.

Even though Im not the biggest glock fan in the world (personal opinion) I give a big +1 on the glock 19. Its a great 9mm.

if you can get an old sig, that would be a good way to go too, if you got big hands.

Awoke
10th June 2010, 08:14 AM
Anyone shot a new Springfield Armoury XD(m)?

I read a review in a buyers guide, and I'm considering picking one up. They look liek they would be nice and comfortable to handle.

http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy/files/2008/07/xdm-angle2.jpg

http://www.chuckhawks.com/springfield_XD-M.jpg

Review here: (Different one that I haven't read yet)
http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy/springfield-xdm/

I think this is the review I read, but I can't verify that because the webpage is blocked here.
The blurb is basically about why they added the (m) to the model number, due to some design changes, etc.

ie: (M)aximum reach magazine release, etc.
http://www.oneinchgroup.com/2009/05/springfield-armory-xdm.html

Sparky
16th June 2010, 12:30 PM
A 9mm S&W M&P was suggested to me by a dealer, but I can never tell if that's just because they have one to sell. Any opinions? Many gun manufacturers/models in Massachusetts aren't allowed. (Big surprise, right?) For example, I think no new Glocks or Brownings are allowed.

willie pete
16th June 2010, 01:45 PM
I'd never buy a S&W auto anything, they should stick to what they know; wheel-guns

hoarder
16th June 2010, 06:59 PM
I'd never buy a S&W auto anything, they should stick to what they know; wheel-guns
Ditto that. Their wheelguns of the 70's and 80's are real keepers, the newer ones just OK.

The Sig P226 9MM is good for medium to large hands. Again, like S+W, the older ones are better. "Made in West Germany" is best. H&K are worth mention as well, but I'm not well versed in details about them.

If you have revolvers and want to buy a semi-auto, my advice is get a decocker. Their operation is very similar to revolvers and that's why I won't own any other kind (with minor exceptions).
But not all decockers are created equal. Make sure you get one that automatically returns to "ready to fire in double action mode" after decocking. Berettas and Walthers don't, and that is their flaw.

Heimdhal
16th June 2010, 07:37 PM
Ditto that. Their wheelguns of the 70's and 80's are real keepers, the newer ones just OK.

The Sig P226 9MM is good for medium to large hands. Again, like S+W, the older ones are better. "Made in West Germany" is best. H&K are worth mention as well, but I'm not well versed in details about them.

If you have revolvers and want to buy a semi-auto, my advice is get a decocker. Their operation is very similar to revolvers and that's why I won't own any other kind (with minor exceptions).
But not all decockers are created equal. Make sure you get one that automatically returns to "ready to fire in double action mode" after decocking. Berettas and Walthers don't, and that is their flaw.

bersa is good for that in the saftey is also the decocker and they have a managble double action pull and the single action is great. No need to keep them cocked and locked like a 1911 (though, I do like 1911's) and they arent a super light "double action thats practicaly a single action" like a glock for those that are worried about such things. For the price, they are good guns all around.

crazychicken
16th June 2010, 07:40 PM
Ruger SP101 in 357 mag

CC

Awoke
17th June 2010, 05:29 AM
I think a Taurus Raging Judge would be most effective for close-range home defense. Nice looking pistol, too.

wallew
28th June 2010, 12:28 PM
Multiple targets complicate things, but not overly so. Especially if you are not going it alone

Wallew are you still a mod at the Censored Duece?

NOPE.

I have 'dropped out' mainly off the net.

I come here occasionally. Probably not much longer.

FunnyMoney
27th February 2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, as already stated by members above.

For the shotgun, I think it's ok to have just one. Make sure it's semi-automatic, you don't want to have to pump or load it between shots.

For the handgun, I think it's going to need to be handguns. We still have a number of years left to prepare, but the day is probably not too far away when calling 911 gets you a recorded message. The govt and the military are still going to be around and I would worry less about them going after the average worker, as they're going to have plenty of work on their hands "securing" the large industrial, mining, farming and military interests. But unfortunately, I'm expecting low-life crime to go bonkers and nobody, not even the govt, are going to lend a hand in your protection. This is why 2 or three or more handguns are going to be important. You will probably need to have one or more with you at all times and depending on where you're going and what errand or activity your trying to accomplish and what possible dangers you might face will determing what you bring. The very common ammo types are good, but just because the .4 round is used by the govt doesn't mean they're going to be up for sale on the blackmarket or anywhere. Whatever guns you select, it will be important to stock plenty of your own ammo, years worth or more if possible.

The rifles break down generally into hunting use and extreme protection measures. And again, as with the side arms, I don't think just one will be enough to meet all needs. But if there was one that would have to be considered more important than any other for the kind of SHTF future we (or our children) are very likely to face , it would be a very high caliber long range carbine. The 308 ammo is the obvious choice and don't forget all the concerns regarding optics and so on...

Other members should further clarify/correct the above as they see fit...

Awoke
28th February 2011, 05:18 AM
The only thing about shotguns... I'm sort of on the fence about it. Semi auto is good for speed, etc, but pumps are good for reliability. Semi's can tend to jam up in extreme cold temperatures, where pumps do not.

SHTF2010
28th February 2011, 02:34 PM
The only thing about shotguns... I'm sort of on the fence about it. Semi auto is good for speed, etc, but pumps are good for reliability. Semi's can tend to jam up in extreme cold temperatures, where pumps do not.

even without ammo, i'd keep a pump shotgun around just for " the sound "

Hermie
1st March 2011, 04:35 PM
Ruger P95 9mm
Great gun. 15 round magazine. Reliable. Low recoil. Great pricing.

midnight rambler
1st March 2011, 08:24 PM

It's a common misconception that pump shotguns are ultra reliable and autoloaders aren't. Even the venerable Winchester Model 12 (as designed by John M. Browning it's arguably the finest and most reliable pump shotgun ever made), is subject to jamming under the right set of circumstances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2uhPa7G_ZE

A pump shotgun isn't anywhere near the level of AK or FAL reliability, nor at the level of many other military style guns. It's just too easy to short stroke a pump under stressfire. And as seen in the above video they are prone to operator error. OTOH an autoloading shotgun designed for military or police such as the FN SLP or the Benelli M4 are extremely reliable for shotguns (both are gas guns) - but still not at the level of AK or FAL reliability. The bottomline is, if your main long arm is a shotgun then you should really have a mil-spec sidearm as a backup (even if it's a SAA). One should also be well versed in immediate action drills for their shotgun regardless of what it is.

skid
1st March 2011, 08:33 PM
I took shot gun training today with 4 other guys and we had several jams on the remington 870 pumps from not racking them hard enough. We shot probably almost a thousand rounds though...

You have to make sure you go to the stops hard both ways. If you do that they should never jam if using fresh shells ( that haven't been reloaded more than once).

Heimdhal
1st March 2011, 08:41 PM
I took shot gun training today with 4 other guys and we had several jams on the remington 870 pumps from not racking them hard enough. We shot probably almost a thousand rounds though...

You have to make sure you go to the stops hard both ways. If you do that they should never jam if using fresh shells ( that haven't been reloaded more than once).

Thats one of the biggest downsides to pumps is short stroking. Treat it hard and mean, no need to be gentle with it ;)

Awoke
2nd March 2011, 05:09 AM
Rambler, I agree. I have a number of "Reach out" firearms, bolt action and semi auto.
My shotgun is sighted in so I can hit an apple at 50 yards, but it is meant for closer shooting than that.
Don't get me wrong, I love semi auto shottys, I'm just repeating a rumour I heard about them jamming in extremely cold environments.

Regarding what Skid and Heimdhal were saying about racking a pump: Yes. You need to rack with conviction in both directions. I have had a lot of new shooters trying my shotgun, and the cartridge has failed to fire on a number of occasions. They weren't racking hard enough, and the shell was not seating properly, so the pin could not strike the primer.

They said the shells were duds, so I loaded them up and blasted them all off, and explained how to rack with conviction.

Hey Skid, where did you do your course, and how much did it cost? (Don't answer if you're not comfortable with it)

mick silver
3rd March 2011, 10:36 PM
i have 2 ruger p95 and i like the decocker on the gun . then i have 3 shotgun saiga 12 mossberg12 an a old stage coach 12 . then my long gun are 7mm mag then i have a 308 and why not own a ak under folder it fun to play with . then get your self a ruger 44 long barrel pistol . i have way to many to list and a few 22 rifles oh dont forget the 30 30 win

Awoke
7th March 2011, 09:48 AM
Haha. You and I both have a Ariel Sharon quote as our signatures.

High-5, Mick.

Book
7th March 2011, 03:33 PM
gurgle...gurgle...gurgle -Ariel Sharon (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartDisease/ariel-sharon-coma-moved-hospital-home/story?id=12135890)

Half Sense
7th March 2011, 06:39 PM
Marlin .357 lever-action rifle
Ruger Blackhawk in .357 / 9mm combo
CZ 452 bolt-action .22 LR
S&W Model 18 .22 revolver

Awoke
8th March 2011, 07:38 PM
I love this thread. But I wonder.... Why limit yourself to just 4 guns?

Just kidding. I know that this thread is to cover the 4-main-necessity guns, but I know I would not be content which a mere 4 guns.