PDA

View Full Version : Fiat grocery store epiphany.....

iOWNme
5th April 2010, 02:24 PM
Hello all at gold-silver.us!

I went grocery shopping today, and got my normal stuff. I went to pay (with cash almost always now) and handed her $110 bucks. 1 - $100 bill, and a $5 and 5- $1's.

As i hand it to her, she types in the amount, and the drawer opens. Next i hear, ching -ching-ching and my change comes out to the little change machine. So as she starts to hold up the $100 note to look for the 'security strip', i grab the change and start looking at the dates on the coins.....

Then it hit me.....

She was looking to verify the $100 was real, WHEN IT CAN NEVER BE REAL. I was looking for real money, in a numismatic pool of zinc plated crap.

Korbin Dallas
5th April 2010, 02:43 PM
Wouldn't that blow her mind, if you would have told her that YOU were holding the Real money? :D ;D

Libertytree
5th April 2010, 02:45 PM
Some guy handed me a $20 the other day and I refused it because it was fake. He told me I HAD to take it, I told him he could wipe his ass with it as far as I was concerned and if he really wanted to he could take it to the bank and they would exchange it for him...LMAO.... knowing they're just gonna take it and say sorry bout your luck Mr asswipe.

If he wouldn't have been such an ass clown I would have shared a means for him to keep his cash.

iOWNme
5th April 2010, 02:51 PM
Wouldn't that blow her mind, if you would have told her that YOU were holding the Real money? :D ;D

I almost nicely said "We are living in Orwellian times ma'am"....."Where you are looking at fake money trying to determine if it is real, while i sit here and go through the fake coins, trying to find real money".

Im sure she would have labeled me a 'terrorist' and the Safeway Security goons would have come to get me....LOL

Jenna
5th April 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm notorious for grabbing change out of my friends' hands and checking dates, or pawing through their pockets. They've accepted this strange ritual as one of my 'quirks', and always ask why I'm such a freak. The worst is watching folks line up at the pawn shop the next block over. Business is booming, with large neon 'WE BUY GOLD' signs displayed prominently on the curb, and my heart breaks every time I see some poor sap handing over their scant precious metals (sometimes family heirlooms) for quick fiat.

PDT
5th April 2010, 03:11 PM
Hello all at gold-silver.us!

I went grocery shopping today, and got my normal stuff. I went to pay (with cash almost always now) and handed her $110 bucks. 1 - $100 bill, and a $5 and 5- $1's.

As i hand it to her, she types in the amount, and the drawer opens. Next i hear, ching -ching-ching and my change comes out to the little change machine. So as she starts to hold up the $100 note to look for the 'security strip', i grab the change and start looking at the dates on the coins.....

Then it hit me.....

She was looking to verify the $100 was real, WHEN IT CAN NEVER BE REAL. I was looking for real money, in a numismatic pool of zinc plated crap.

And that's why I don't advocate using Junk Silver for emergencies...most people are too stupid to understand its value. "This quarter is worth more than a dollar bill? You're nuts!"