PDA

View Full Version : Citrus Trees

Grog
5th April 2010, 06:03 PM
We have several citrus trees in large pots so we can winter them in the garage. Two bore a few fruit last year, but this year they are full of blooms, like 100 per tree. I hope this pans out. ;D

We have Kafir Lime, Key Lime, Tangelo, and Meyer Lemon. I cannot tell which is which right now as they got mixed up in the garage. This purplish bloom is either the Tangelo or Meyer lemon. I have another with white blooms. The purpleish one is much more full. The limes are very young and small. I don't expect any fruit this year. This tree looks good though. ;D

The bees are loving it and the smell outside the garage is wonderful. I love citrus.

bob681
5th April 2010, 06:10 PM
Those are meyer lemon I have three in the back yard. I also have a Mandarin and an orange. They sure do smell great don't they.

Bob

Grog
5th April 2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, similar to jasmine but sweeter. I keep going outside to snif them. So, by process of elimination the other is the tangelo. Good to know. I was looking at plum and fig trees on Saturday morning. I may plant one or both soon. I just have to find a spot. Lots of shade here so I only have so much space where trees will prosper.

I'll post more pics later in the season as they mature.

skid
5th April 2010, 06:28 PM
I've got meyer lemon and calomonder(sp?) orange in containers. Where I live I need to bring them in for the winter. They are blooming now, and do smell like Jasmine (which is also flowering now). Very sweet smell!

bob681
5th April 2010, 07:05 PM
Here is the only one I could find of mine it is in the middle of the snow we had this year. It is a lime in the barrel , meyer lemon, navel orange, and another meyer lemon. On the far right is a barbados cherry. The cold got the lime and the cherry and really knocked my citrus down but they are bouncing back.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/bob681/newulm389.jpg

Grog
5th April 2010, 08:03 PM
The trees we got at the local nursery. (Central Texas) One I think Lowes and the other at the local place. They are in big pots. 2' wide round and 2' high large clay pots. The trees are about 4.5 - 5 foot now. They are grafts of the Meyer and tangelo onto a native root stock which does well here in our part of Texas. They seem to be doing well and have survived the winter in the garage.

The limes are small, only a year old and in smaller pots. They were planted from seed, and acquired in a trade my wife made for some Yaupon and or beautyberry IIRC.

Celtic Rogue
6th April 2010, 05:06 AM
I have a lemon tree that I started from seed... its in a small pot and has been abused by mites and forgetfull waterings repeatedly... but you know this little tree just keeps coming bsck stronger and better. Now I cant wait for it to bloom!

Wicked Witch
8th April 2010, 06:35 PM
As someone with over 20 citrus trees, I've found the secret to great fruit is food.

Feed the trees, and they will keep you happy. Ignore it, and you'll be stuck with wimpy little fruits and you'll have major lime envy when I come over.

I can't tell you how many people will tiny fruits have been surprised when I ask if they fertilize their trees.

Grog
8th April 2010, 07:21 PM
As someone with over 20 citrus trees, I've found the secret to great fruit is food.

Feed the trees, and they will keep you happy. Ignore it, and you'll be stuck with wimpy little fruits and you'll have major lime envy when I come over.

I can't tell you how many people will tiny fruits have been surprised when I ask if they fertilize their trees.

Recommendations on fertilizers for citrus? I'm all orcish ears.

Wicked Witch
9th April 2010, 03:16 PM

We don't have a favorite brand or recipe, though I'd be keen for recommendations as well. We feed four times a year so we use a LOT of fertilizer - and it's not cheap. Usually I look for an organic, citrus fertilizer at our local garden supply and get whichever one has the most seductive packaging.

That, and compost once a year is our trick. There are probably some that are better than others, but it seems like the difference would be marginal compared to most folks who don't feed at all.

Sorry I don't have a specific magic potion to recommend. Anyone else?

EDIT: Since you're growing Kaffir limes, I assume you also cook Thai food. If not, you're missing out. Kaffir leaves are one of the key ingredient to authentic Thai - and they're so hard to find.

The purple blooms you have are probably Meyers. Our Meyers and Tangelos are in full bloom right now - and our Meyers have purplish blooms, while the Tangelos are pure white.

Grog
9th April 2010, 04:16 PM
I'll probably just use our compost then. We have a large compost pile. Just wanted to see if there was some secret citrus whammy juice that you may know of. :P

Dave Thomas
9th April 2010, 04:22 PM
I think fruit trees are an excellent idea. Here's why:

1) They're hardy
2) They require minimal maintenance
3) They last a long time

I've got a Meyer Lemon, a few oranges, and a Dorsett Apple.

The Limes are really susceptible to frost, the Meyer can take a bit of cold, but not too much.

Also the ability to propagate through grafting is really interesting.

I thought it was funny, but some growers actually treat their special varieties like software. Specific strains are only licensed per tree.

So if you take a Dave Thomas's plum scion, and graft it to say a Stanley plum trunk, then sold the resultant Dave Thomas plums, you'd be committing fruit piracy!

Trees that drop candy, what's not to love?

For citrus just a few handfuls of cottonseed fertilizer per year from what I've read.

osprey
9th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Grog,
Check with your county extension agent from the agriculture department. They should be able to give you specific information with regard to the best fert. They may also have a master gardner program that holds regular workshops that would be of good benifit.

crazychicken
9th April 2010, 05:34 PM
Here is the only one I could find of mine it is in the middle of the snow we had this year. It is a lime in the barrel , meyer lemon, navel orange, and another meyer lemon. On the far right is a barbados cherry. The cold got the lime and the cherry and really knocked my citrus down but they are bouncing back.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/bob681/newulm389.jpg

What an attractive set-up.

You should be proud.

CC

gunDriller
10th April 2010, 09:14 AM

Sorry I don't have a specific magic potion to recommend. Anyone else?

if you can find a similar operation, this is the best soil & compost i have ever encountered. $15 to $20 a cubic yard, which goes a long way. better than mixtures of guano's & greensand, etc.

http://sonomacompost.com/product.shtml

it may not look like much - it's dirt. if you can persuade them to give you a soil analysis, that will explain my enthusiasm for their product. specifically the Mallard Plus ( a little extra nitrogen).

Grog
11th April 2010, 07:33 PM
EDIT: Since you're growing Kaffir limes, I assume you also cook Thai food. If not, you're missing out. Kaffir leaves are one of the key ingredient to authentic Thai - and they're so hard to find.

Spoke with the wife on this topic. She indicated that she had used the leaves in the shrimp dish she recently made, and that was the reason she acquired the limes in the first place.

Shows how much I pay attention. :P

Grog
27th April 2010, 05:49 PM
The flowers are now little miniature fruit. They are as big as my thumbnail right now. Lemons are smaller.

Celtic Rogue
28th April 2010, 07:45 AM
nice fruit!!! wish mine would even bloom.