PDA

View Full Version : Anecdotal economic field reports (Now Stickied)

Goldgonewild
5th April 2010, 07:29 PM
It was a popular STICKY on the original GIM forum (RIP)

It provided description of current economic events that helped old members and newbies get a good street view of the mess we are currently in . A live pulse of the economy that the main street media is not allowed to show to the sleeping masses .

I am for a return of this sticky as i think it will be a great addition to this new forum.

Who's with me on this for suggesting the come back of this feature ?

MNeagle
5th April 2010, 07:53 PM
I agree. Do you have one to share with us?

I'll note mine: More & more commercial places are vacant, yet several eating places are busy.

Argent
5th April 2010, 08:23 PM
I agree the anecdotal field report was a real time, rubber hits the road type of local reporting. Helpful in seeing trends developing.

etc
5th April 2010, 09:28 PM
Local auto shops are under a light load. Can get an appointment anytime.

carpediem
6th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Not exactly economic, but lots of h1n1 swine flu vaccine advertisements plastered everywhere here - on the side of buses- on billboards - huge signs outside the free clinics, grocery stores, etc... definitely campaigning stronger than ever to vaccinate the population.

millions of sq feet of vacant commercial buildings here... yet lots of new construction still going up... probably 20% or more of the commercial space is vacant, but they are still building tons more...
tons of vacant housing as well but rents are still ridiculously expensive, haven't dropped in price at all....

grocery stores are like ghost towns, especially higher end ones

mexican drive thru place raised the price of tacos from 1$ to 1.25$ ... i would guess a lot of people probably would just order 8 or 10 tacos no drinks/nothing else

Osky
7th April 2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks for restarting this thread - I've always loved it.

A guy I work with has a daughter in grad school who has been renting a nice condo in Miami since 2006. The owner just lost it in a foreclosure auction. He owed $280k on it, it was "worth" $450k at the height of the lunacy, and someone bought it at auction for $124k. It was in a nice building (a high rise) with a parking deck underground and nice grounds (pool, exercise room, etc.).

madfranks
7th April 2010, 06:18 AM
One of the two major shopping malls in my city is basically empty now. Only one anchor store remains (Sears) and a few mall shops right next to it. The rest of the mall is basically vacant and has been taken over by kids, thugs, druggies, etc. Someone actually got shot a month or so ago in the mall. I walked through it before I knew what had happened and the whole place felt like I was walking through the projects, definitely a bad feeling.

Shorty Harris
7th April 2010, 06:42 AM
Gas prices here in N.Central Ohio rose by 19 cents per gal yesterday a.m.. >:(

the white rabbit
7th April 2010, 09:09 AM
I love this thread. It kinda died over at BurningDownTheBarnIsMoney.com

Horn
7th April 2010, 01:14 PM
On the plus side, condos previously selling in Las Vegas for $190,000.00 are going for $52,000.00.

Depending on which side you were on.

Phenix Pawn
7th April 2010, 04:55 PM
"Upon examination, notice how condo's (representing the building) lost 200% or more in value compared to houses (representing the building and attached real property) which in most cases lost MUCH LESS in value. Land will always be more valuable, although the condo may appear more liquid."

& never forget those wonderful FEES! You Know? CONDO's, not Condoms...sick

AOW
7th April 2010, 08:11 PM
A roofer friend of mine received the ok to do a huge roof for a local business. I was going to be hired on to add to the manpower. Property owner needed a refi to get the new roof done and Bank of America told him they are forecasting a 25% reduction in commercial real estate prices here in Western WA over the next two years and that his numbers wouldn't work in that scenario. No refi, no roof, no work.

Dawg
7th April 2010, 09:18 PM
I have been trying to run down a Kel Tech SUB2000 in 9mm that takes the Glock magazines, and I was out and about yesterday, so I swung by the local Cabellas. Now, understand, the one near me is one of the huge opulent ones, with two floors with the mountain with all the North American animal mounts, then they have an upstairs mezzanine with the Afican animal mounts. The fish tanks and waterfalls, etc. This place is humungous, and it is only a few years old. I go up the escalator to go to the gun area and when I got up to the top, I was stunned that the whole second floor was closed off with cloth screens. I went to a seam between two, and peeked behind.......Nothing, zip, nada. Everything was gone.
After I recovered from my heart attack, I went down and questioned the nearest employee. He stated that they were downsizing due to the economy, and the lack of sales. I confirmed this today, with a friend that works there part time in the gun room.

Rebel Yarr
8th April 2010, 12:34 AM
Dayum Dawg - that really sucks. AOW - out here in W WA as well - we are seeing so much empty commercial real estate it is nuts.

Big layoff wave coming at my workplace. I've been looking for work in my field recently - nothing available on the west coast.

Gas is going nuts - 3.10 regular and up from there.

About 6 months ago - most folks I interact with in business weren't feeling much of a slowdown in work - now everyone is talking about things slowing. Even our work cafeteria seems to have half the people it use to have - guess more are bagging their lunches.

Local coin shops don't have much of a selection - but I have seen more people in there getting quotes on old jewelery and stuff than I ever have.

Know a guy in default on their mortgage - 7 months in - still in default...

Local home Depot's parking lot is overflowing with day workers - even some white dudes out there now.

Gaillo
8th April 2010, 01:22 AM
I have been trying to run down a Kel Tech SUB2000 in 9mm that takes the Glock magazines, and I was out and about yesterday, so I swung by the local Cabellas. Now, understand, the one near me is one of the huge opulent ones, with two floors with the mountain with all the North American animal mounts, then they have an upstairs mezzanine with the Afican animal mounts. The fish tanks and waterfalls, etc. This place is humungous, and it is only a few years old. I go up the escalator to go to the gun area and when I got up to the top, I was stunned that the whole second floor was closed off with cloth screens. I went to a seam between two, and peeked behind.......Nothing, zip, nada. Everything was gone.
After I recovered from my heart attack, I went down and questioned the nearest employee. He stated that they were downsizing due to the economy, and the lack of sales. I confirmed this today, with a friend that works there part time in the gun room.

When I was passing through Northern Utah a few years ago on my way to an Idaho business trip, I visited a Cabellas just south of Salt Lake City that sounds REMARKABLY similar to what you are describing... is it the same one?

Ponce
8th April 2010, 10:28 AM
In my Micky Mouse one mule town places are closing down and prices are going up........all four loggers are closed down and we are no longer getting any tourists for the XXXXXXXXX that we have here.

More cars are for sell and more homes closing down........also more guns up for sell, that's how desperate people are getting, the last thing to go is their guns .......after the dog and the wife hahahahahahahha.

CJay8
10th April 2010, 10:04 AM
FedEx Express is projecting a shortage of lift May thru September. Almost all of our increased business is in International air freight. We have pulled all of our Airbus's, MD-10's, etc...out of the Mojave and sent them to Sasko in Singapore to have heavy checks done on them and get them back into service.

Even with these a/c back in the fleet they are counting on picking up more 777's post haste to help with the shortage(We've gotten 2 from Air France already). Reportedly Singapore Airlines has 35 777's that are now for sale. However, these are passenger and will have to be converted to freighters. Looking at a min of 1 year if they are purchased today to make it into the fleet. FedEx is looking to spend billions to upgrade our fleet.

B757's are going into Europe this summer to supplement that existing fleet. I'm gonna be spending all of June in Paris to get those guys ready for the fleet upgrades. Be my 5th time there so I'm not particularly thrilled about it.

Bottom line is our business is doing very well. The domestic side stayed positive after Chrismas, we never saw the big drop off we were expecting. Talk of hiring more a/c mechanics in the not too distant future, buying more a/c as fast as we can get our hands on them.

I know the economic news is bad all over but Fred Smith is a smart cookie so he seems to be doing a good job while the rest of the US remains in the doldrums. But he is tied at the hip with the Chinese so if/when their bubble bursts we are going to take a hit as well. But, I've gotten 2 pay raises in the last 4 months. (Which actually puts me a little above parity as I took a 5% pay cut last year.)

etc
11th April 2010, 11:41 AM
A local post office that has been open for 200 years is closing. It survived all these wars, the Great Depression but not 2010.

You decide what that means.

Book
12th April 2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/04/07/1143991/idaho-health-welfare-to-make-cuts.html

Idaho.

FreeEnergy
12th April 2010, 03:11 PM
CJay8, my barometer is also Fedex. Fedex pickup guys are actually independent contractors in US, not employees, they are running routes as a business. My Fedex guy (25 y.o.) in the past 3 years has built himself a nice business with 4 or 5 employees driving trucks. He probably could retire by the time he's 30. So...my barometer is how much packaging they are doing in our area (which is an upper middle class residential area with business centers sprinkled all over). Fedex is doing very good, they had no shipping volume decreases, and some routes actually increased.

Another barometer. Mostly older and expensive homes in our area, very few new homes available (no free land). About 2.5-3 years ago a developer built a development....sorry for tautology...of stickhouse McMantions. They planned about 30 new homes. Started building maybe 15. Sold about 7-8, then halted. Then for about a year it had 0 activity on the lot, nada, nothing. Until this month. This month, 2 new homes are being built. same stuff, sticks, drywall inside, plastic wrap and shingles on the outside, two storied ceiling...I can see a heating bill being $1K month, easy. So there's still throwaway money out there.

Another local developer. Had 0 activity for about a year, they've been building townhomes. Actually, in great location IMHO, walking distance to shops and local train. Up until 1.5 years ago they've built maybe 50, or a 100. Then halted for close to a year, half the lot still undeveloped. This has changed in late February, early March, they are building like crazy again.

The other side - local commercial properties market is in shambles. I am looking for a unit.... everything is available. Office, street corners, facing the street where there was 0 availability for years - pick the one you like. Discounts or additional perks are thrown in all the time. If you want to buy commercial, now maybe the time.

CJay8
12th April 2010, 05:01 PM
CJay8, my barometer is also Fedex. Fedex pickup guys are actually independent contractors in US, not employees, they are running routes as a business. My Fedex guy (25 y.o.) in the past 3 years has built himself a nice business with 4 or 5 employees driving trucks. He probably could retire by the time he's 30. So...my barometer is how much packaging they are doing in our area (which is an upper middle class residential area with business centers sprinkled all over). Fedex is doing very good, they had no shipping volume decreases, and some routes actually increased.

Another barometer. Mostly older and expensive homes in our area, very few new homes available (no free land). About 2.5-3 years ago a developer built a development....sorry for tautology...of stickhouse McMantions. They planned about 30 new homes. Started building maybe 15. Sold about 7-8, then halted. Then for about a year it had 0 activity on the lot, nada, nothing. Until this month. This month, 2 new homes are being built. same stuff, sticks, drywall inside, plastic wrap and shingles on the outside, two storied ceiling...I can see a heating bill being $1K month, easy. So there's still throwaway money out there.

Another local developer. Had 0 activity for about a year, they've been building townhomes. Actually, in great location IMHO, walking distance to shops and local train. Up until 1.5 years ago they've built maybe 50, or a 100. Then halted for close to a year, half the lot still undeveloped. This has changed in late February, early March, they are building like crazy again.

The other side - local commercial properties market is in shambles. I am looking for a unit.... everything is available. Office, street corners, facing the street where there was 0 availability for years - pick the one you like. Discounts or additional perks are thrown in all the time. If you want to buy commercial, now maybe the time.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I live in upper middle class neighborhood that was in Phase 3 of development. That phase being being the most expensive homes. About 15 lots sitting empty but in the last month they've started construction on 2 new houses. Builder does not have buyers, just taking a chance. However, I've seen a lot of people looking at the houses under construction. The price is down from 2 years ago but there is some progress. I have empty lot sitting next to me that I'm thinking about buying. It was 50 grand 2 years ago, we heard he'll now take 20 grand and I'm thinking of offering him 12K cash but would go 20 possibly. Downside is I don't want to stay here so when it's time to move that lot will be an albatross. But it's investment property so sometimes you gotta say "What the f*ck."

I'm amazed that FedEx makes money in spite of itself. I've never seen such stupid business practices in all my life. But I feel better about my future here than I did at Delta airlines.

TLM
13th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Man doesn't have money to bury his dying wife and the indigent graveyard is full!
- Upstate S. Carolina----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a poor man," Hardy said.

His monthly social security check is wiped out after their monthly bills are paid.

"That's not a whole lot of money, anybody who's on it will tell you that's not a lot of money, so you gotta do what you gotta do to make ends meet," he said.

Hardy asked to find out what options are available to him. Greenville County Coroner Parks Evans told us free burials aren't an option anymore because the county's cemetery for indigent people is full. Evans said Hardy has two options: to plan ahead to donate her body to science or ask for help from the coroner's office. Evans said by law if loved ones refuse to take responsibility for a body it is the coroner's responsibility to cremate the body.

But Hardy wants a proper burial and is praying the funeral homes he contacted will help out.

"I am looking to the Lord to help me get some things worked out," he said.

Cebu_4_2
13th April 2010, 10:17 PM
228 customers, mailer sent out 126 come back untraceable, pooft gone!

Anyone else need a good printer?

Prepared for the worst but never imagined this.

gunDriller
16th April 2010, 05:15 AM
I have been trying to run down a Kel Tech SUB2000 in 9mm that takes the Glock magazines, and I was out and about yesterday, so I swung by the local Cabellas.

is that the Cabellas near Olympia Wash ?

i've toured that gun section, thought it was cool, like a museum, they got so many guns.

Silvestor
24th April 2010, 12:31 PM
The local Frys supermarket placed little signs on the shelves, next to prices, that identify an item as WIK (women infant kids) and EBT (foods stamps) approved. This location is in a nice part of Scottsdale Arizona.

motorhead
25th April 2010, 11:30 AM
Things are slow in the Placer County area east of Sacramento. Blame it on the high taxes, a propensity to tax and spend in Sacramento and a Marxist in the Federal office. Most of the sentient humans seem to be very wary of the future economy. Some new housing construction, mostly mom and pop types building on land that they have owned for awhile, and the volume is WAY down, (less than 20%) of what I witnessed during 2000 to 2007. No big houses to be seen, mostly under 3000 s.f., still the construction is better than 2009, but that's not saying much. Lot's of commercial space available, particularly in the western portion of Placer County where there was a commercial construction boom. The only people making money on these properties are the folks renting cyclone fencing...... Hang in there.....

BrewTech
25th April 2010, 01:45 PM
Local auto shops are under a light load. Can get an appointment anytime.

Yeah... this isn't a good thing for those attempting to make a living doing this work.

I've noticed we have a couple of weeks of very good business right around the time the .gov decides to return some money to its rightful owners... coincidence? I think not.

Just proves that if they would quit confiscating it in the first place, everything (economically) would be a whole lot better.

uranian
30th April 2010, 06:23 AM
job centre is the number 5 most searched for term on yahoo UK.

Rebel Yarr
1st May 2010, 08:51 AM
I got a couple 1963 One Dollar bills yesterday....getting old bills in change represents people raiding their or others saved up "hard times" stash. I went by Home Depot the other day - saw day laborers standing out on the curb at the entrance...usually only hang in the lot. there were plenty...

I went to Wal-Mart for some sporting stuff - on a Thursday afternoon. Place was as vacant as I ever seen it - I was surprised as it is usually packed with crazies.

Local coin store - silver was $1.25 over ugg.....

BrewTech
3rd May 2010, 08:42 AM
I got a couple 1963 One Dollar bills yesterday....getting old bills in change represents people raiding their or others saved up "hard times" stash.

I'm seeing the same thing... a lot higher percentage of coppers and wheaties in my change lately, but alas, still no 90%...

Gaillo
3rd May 2010, 12:29 PM
I got a couple 1963 One Dollar bills yesterday....getting old bills in change represents people raiding their or others saved up "hard times" stash.

I'm seeing the same thing... a lot higher percentage of coppers and wheaties in my change lately, but alas, still no 90%...

It'll start showing up... I found two 90% dimes last month in various change. Usually I go 2 or 3 months between seeing any.

k-os
3rd May 2010, 02:45 PM
A friend of mine is bidding on nearby houses for $30k. They all need work and they're not in the best neighborhood, but they're not in the worst neighborhood either. I would say these houses could have sold for $100K at the peak.

Book
4th May 2010, 06:28 AM
State cutting some cash assistance

by Associated Press - KTVB.COM

Posted on May 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM

BOISE -- The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare is reducing or eliminating payments to approximately 1,250 residents receiving cash assistance under the Aged, Blind and Disabled program.

Agency administrator Russ Barron says the program faces a $1.1 million deficit.

Over 14,700 Idaho residents receive cash payments through the AABD program, and most will continue to receive $53 a month.

Payment reductions range from $33 a month to a $198 a month reduction for 300 participants with developmental disabilities who live in certified family homes.

The proposed changes will take effect on July 1 and those affected will be notified by letter as early as this week. With reduced state payments, some people may see an increase in food stamp benefits.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/State-cutting-some-cash-assistance-92676094.html

randymatt
6th May 2010, 04:32 PM
A tremendous Going-Out-of-Business sale is underway at all 37 Dollar Store locations in Washington and Oregon.

http://eon.businesswire.com/portal/site/eon/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100504007492&newsLang=en

JFN111
7th May 2010, 05:19 AM
Several more vacant houses in the neighborhood. It looks like a second round of foreclosures kicking in.
My next door neighbors must have 7 people living in the house to help them keep current with their mortgage. ::)

skidmark
11th May 2010, 11:18 AM
Local bank gets robbed twice in twenty four hours!

MODESTO, CA - Investigators were searching for a crook who held up a Modesto bank Friday, less than 24 hours after the same branch was struck by another bank robbery, a Modesto police spokesman said.

The robber walked into the Oak Valley Community Bank on the 4100 block of Dale Road in Modesto around 2:22 p.m. Friday and handed a clerk a note, demanding money, Modesto police Sgt. Rick Armendariz said.

The crook was last seen running through the bank parking lot with an undisclosed amount of cash, Armendariz said.

The suspect was described as a man in his late 20s to mid 30s, wearing a black baseball hat and a grey shirt.

The incident happened a day after Belko Yovanovich, 52, was arrested for robbing the same Oak Valley Bank branch Thursday afternoon.

In that theft, witnesses outside the bank called 911 and provided vital information about Yovanovich and his getaway truck that led officers to Yovanovich a short time later, Armendariz said.

etc
23rd May 2010, 08:13 AM
Here in DC, local auto repair shops charge 96/hour. And we are not talking about fancy dealerships but hole in the wall type gas stations with a few bays for auto repair. The dealerships are more like 138-150/hour.

Local restaurants charge extra for extra toppings.

k-os
24th May 2010, 09:37 AM
A good friend of mine just bought a 2 year old Volkswagen diesel car. My neighbor bought a 3 year old Infinity. Another good friend of mine and her husband bought two brand new Hondas in one day.

This all happened within a couple of weeks. I discussed this phenomenon with the husband of my friend with the Volkswagen. He said "She has had her car for 10 years. She deserves a new one, and the way the economy is . . . I figured my money would do more good purchasing something we need than sitting in the market losing money." (They already have guns, gardens and gold.)

Perhaps tumbling the market down (like we've seen) is good for "stimulating" the economy.

Galen
24th May 2010, 01:21 PM
My niece is a manager at the local Walmart. They had a fellow arrested for shoplifting the other day. He tried to take $300 worth of baby formula out in a duffel bag.

m0nt3cr1st016
9th June 2010, 06:52 PM
was in a bar the other night and someone was complaining that bottles of red stripe beer went from 12 fl oz --> 11.2 fl oz recently :'(

BrewTech
9th June 2010, 07:29 PM
A tremendous Going-Out-of-Business sale is underway at all 37 Dollar Store locations in Washington and Oregon.

Link to Article (http://eon.businesswire.com/portal/site/eon/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100504007492&newsLang=en)

Massive discounts at a "Dollar Store" chain....

Nothing says FKDUP like that.

EDIT: Changed long link to named link to prevent horizontal scrolling. -Gaillo

Johnny Ringo
12th June 2010, 11:47 PM
A bunch of homes seemed to come up for sale at the same time. Funny thing, they're all moving - even ones that had been on the market for a long time. Why? Military. They're standing up a bunch of new units on the several bases in the area. A guy that works with my wife says one anomoly with the market here is the military officers. He claims to know several who don't even negotiate home prices when they buy - the just shrug and pay asking price.

Further evidence that any "green shoots" in my area are a result of having most people work for the only boss that can legally create his own money out of thin air: The dude across the street (mid-grade enlisted) had a party today. You didn't see any Kias or Hyundais up and down the street. Nothing but Tahoes, Suburbans, 4 x 4 crew cabs, BMWs - with nearly every American vehicle sporting a big V8 emblem. Looks like lots of discretionary income there - with job security to boot.

JohnQPublic
16th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Walked into our Albertsons. They have a nice slesction of wine and liquor. Lot of Napa reds, etc. Almost all the good stuff 30% off. Maker's Mark 30% off. All the premium Bourbons, etc. 30% off. Even a lot of the cheaper stuff discounted 20%+. They are obviously not selling the stuff at this point.

etc
27th June 2010, 09:24 AM
see a lot of cars on 'fire-sale'.

Rebel Yarr
27th June 2010, 04:12 PM
Random observations..........

I went to a block party a few weekends ago. Working class neighborhood - a good chunk of the men were unemployed. Everyone seemed broke as f*ck. I even heard some doom and gloomers talking - they seemed new to the idea - so I didn't get all conversational on the topic. I heard a few conversations about mortgages and defaults and other housing related drama. Heard a convo about Peter Schiff, about buying guns and some attack upcoming on the 4th. The only folks who seemed devoid of some stress were a couple of "tax dollar funded" folks.

Lots and lots of out of state folks up here in WA. More out of state license plates than ever. I get the feeling that a lot of folks are worried for their job and you can see the stress all over.

I even saw a hooker under a bridge - in the suburbs. I saw a pretty fine ass chick holding a "we lost our house" cardboard sign - " damn she could stay at my place" kinda hot.

I'm trying to get rid of a couch - "brand new" leather couch - very nice. Not getting any bites at $450. wtf

I added some camping gear this week. I am going to check out some spots soon.

Crazy times out there - feeling like the edge.

Gaillo
28th June 2010, 02:08 PM
I don't know how "economic" this field report is, but I'll post it anyway.

In my area, I've suddenly seen about twice the usual police presence in the last few weeks. Seems like every time I go to the nearest town to me, I see 2 or 3 police cruisers on the highway either pulling someone over, or speed-trapping on the way. I've seen a LOT of police in the parking lots of area stores in the evening, just sitting in their cars - my guess is they're waiting for DUI arrests when people leave the stores with beer. I saw a cruizer pull someone over near a gas station/mini mart - the main cop was giving the DUI test then the other cop got back in the cruizer and pulled over ANOTHER guy who was just pulling into the parking lot, while the other cop stayed at the first pullover site on foot!

My guess is that city budgets in my area are in trouble, and they're coming down on the police to generate more revenue. I don't EVER remember this much police presence in this area!

GoldenPoet
28th June 2010, 07:09 PM
My next door neighbor popped over for a visit yesterday, and when we told him that we wondered if he had any baby chickens for sale, he said the whole neighborhood and beyond has been asking him if he has any chickens for sale... he said, "about 100 families have asked me."

It's thrilling that the people around me are wanting to produce some of their own food - eggs.
However,
can you imagine the sound...
100 roosters crowing at 5 am. OMG OMG
I hope they all by female chicks.
(Of course we have a male lol)

chad
30th June 2010, 07:32 AM
my biggest client notified me on monday that they are done as of july 15th. been in business since 1952. 30 people. ceo told me "we have had literally almost zero orders since november."

k-os
30th June 2010, 10:50 AM
My brother-in-law's business is going under. He is a good guy, a hard worker, and has lots of energy. It breaks my heart.

BrewTech
30th June 2010, 06:58 PM
A bunch of homes seemed to come up for sale at the same time. Funny thing, they're all moving - even ones that had been on the market for a long time. Why? Military. They're standing up a bunch of new units on the several bases in the area. A guy that works with my wife says one anomoly with the market here is the military officers. He claims to know several who don't even negotiate home prices when they buy - the just shrug and pay asking price.

Further evidence that any "green shoots" in my area are a result of having most people work for the only boss that can legally create his own money out of thin air: The dude across the street (mid-grade enlisted) had a party today. You didn't see any Kias or Hyundais up and down the street. Nothing but Tahoes, Suburbans, 4 x 4 crew cabs, BMWs - with nearly every American vehicle sporting a big V8 emblem. Looks like lots of discretionary income there - with job security to boot.

Hmmm... do you live on my street? I think I have the same neighbor...

madfranks
2nd July 2010, 10:29 AM
Sometimes for lunch I visit this little mexican food joint downtown. You used to get three enchiladas with the lunch special, now you only get two... :'(

joe_momma
2nd July 2010, 11:03 AM
Bacon - regular price now $3.99/lb - 6 months ago was $2.99/lb.

Noticeably fewer day laborers at the usual haunts waiting for work (gone home?).

Homeless panhandlers - was rare to see one, now there are 2-3 in front of the grocery store at all times (including 6 am) - they are also much more aggressive.

Getting junk mail almost daily from Cable and Dish companies offering to undercut each other with deeper discounts as they try to maintain service population.

Credit card companies are sending those "checks" and balance transfer promos weekly (I've no balance on the 3 cards - Amex, Visa, and M/C), so I assume they'd really like to have some low-risk debt on their books.

Local restaurants - empty - no lunch crowd here downtown. The parking lots are empty in the evening except for the "All you can eat Buffets".

Johnny Ringo
4th July 2010, 11:49 PM

Hmmm... do you live on my street? I think I have the same neighbor...

Only about 3000 miles away. Same clientele, though. Only mine are Air Force (I'm ASSuming your neighbors are Navy....) And it's even worse than I thought. I assumed this guy was about an E-6 or E-7. Nah. I finally got a good look at him in his uniform - he's an E-4. The pay must be A LOT better than when I was in....

Did go to the Navy Base (Pensacola) this weekend, though. If I hadn't ducked into the commissary and seen the 100 meter long checkout lines (express AND regular), I'd have assumed everyone had gotten an early start on the weekend and bolted town, because the exchange was pretty empty. Very unusual. But the few people that were there were dropping coin on big-screen TVs, living room sets, etc.

Back when I was an E-4, many of my married co-workers were on food stamps (or eligible, but didn't apply on principal). Things have really changed. And don't get me started on the officers....

Shorty Harris
21st July 2010, 05:16 AM
I was in the grocery store yesterday morning and ahead of me was this lady, who while checking out had to "put Back" several items Due to not having enough cash on hand, and all other forms of plastic were "maxed out". Then, as I'm walking to my car I see her loading what was left of her groceries into the back of a brand new 40K dollar SUV....Kinda make ya wonder

Mouse
22nd July 2010, 09:56 PM
People are differentiating their yard sales from the competition by having the yard sales on Thursday/Friday instead of Saturday/Sunday. Apparently they are getting customers, which means maybe some elderly collectors, but more likely pickers looking to resale or unemployed looking to save money. How the hell do you go junking on a Thursday or Friday if you have a job?

Add to that why you would need to differentiate your "permanent" yard sale from the competition.

Hmmmm.

Argentium
23rd July 2010, 09:34 AM
You know things are getting bad when Dollar Stores are getting robbed at gunpoint. If that's not desperate, I don't know what is.

MNeagle
23rd July 2010, 11:54 AM
You know things are getting bad when Dollar Stores are getting robbed at gunpoint. If that's not desperate, I don't know what is.

But that's where the dollars are!! :whistle

MoMoney
24th July 2010, 10:15 PM
My niece is a manager at the local Walmart. They had a fellow arrested for shoplifting the other day. He tried to take $300 worth of baby formula out in a duffel bag.

Baby formula is often sought by druggies...it's used to "cut" crack and other street drugs.

zap
14th August 2010, 06:22 PM
Took a ride to Pismo beach today went to the outlet stores to buy shoes, I got shoes and left, it was packed ! everywhere people going here and there, we are supposed to be in a recession.

Then came back north and through Los Osos into Morro Bay the traffic was ridiculous, (even on 101 on the way down) nobody seemed to be in a recession there, kept going north into Cayucas stopped there and had lunch, went to the beach and walked the pier, people all over and restaurants full it was about 3;00. :conf:

MNeagle
14th August 2010, 06:24 PM
Shoes probably due to school shopping I'd guess. Or end-of-season sales.

Gas down to $2.61 here in MN.

zap
14th August 2010, 06:27 PM
Gas here 3.17

SQUEXX
16th August 2010, 01:00 AM

But that's where the dollars are!! :whistle

I'm sure there's a circle of Dante's Inferno reserved for people who make bad puns like that one!!!!!!

ShortJohnSilver
16th August 2010, 08:26 AM
I have had the same domain for my small business for over 10 years. While I have effective spam filters, I had to dial them back a bit to ensure I get all emails.

The spam I am getting has changed...

2008 - home mortgages and refi
2009 - refi, fix your credit, etc
2010 - get financing for your small business, avoid filing bankruptcy

The spammers know which way things are going ...

mamboni
16th August 2010, 08:35 AM
I took my wife out shopping on Saturday: I brought the "100 items to disappear first" list and we stopped at a SuperWalmarts in SE PA to fill in some gaps. Anyway, we decided to drive around and see the country sites. My wife suggested we pick a restaurant from the Garmin GPS to have an early dinner. An hour later, we had stopped by four family restaurants listed in the Garmin, all of which were closed and boarded up - OUT OF BUSINESS!!! Four in a row. Do you think there is a pattern emerging?

We finally found a diner that was open.

Glass
16th August 2010, 10:50 AM
I have had the same domain for my small business for over 10 years. While I have effective spam filters, I had to dial them back a bit to ensure I get all emails.

The spam I am getting has changed...

2008 - home mortgages and refi
2009 - refi, fix your credit, etc
2010 - get financing for your small business, avoid filing bankruptcy

The spammers know which way things are going ...

I'd like to know how to stop Angelina Jolie from stalking me. She just keeps barraging me to join her facebook. I have to say I'm getting fed up with it.

Quote from: MNeagle on July 23, 2010, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: Argentium on July 23, 2010, 09:34:15 AM

But that's where the dollars are!!

I'm sure there's a circle of Dante's Inferno reserved for people who make bad puns like that one!!!!!!

I'd buy that for a dollar!

BrewTech
16th August 2010, 12:23 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Coooool movie!

Went to a mall in the San Diego area on Sunday... not packed but bustling. Great place to hang out if you are trolling for mall a$$... not so good if you don't want to run up your credit card on overpriced garbage.

Not too many places looked like they were about to go out of business, however. Lots of hucksters at the kiosks.

etc
19th August 2010, 11:04 AM
Local WholeFoods has their grilled chicken at 9.99 FRNs now, up from 7.99 just a few months ago. Prices are going up and up, the FRN is steadily going down.

MNeagle
24th August 2010, 02:39 PM
A magazine we used to get is trolling for new/repeat business. They're offering:

1 year $5
2 years $9
3 years $10

Nice prices, but no thanks.

madfranks
24th August 2010, 06:23 PM
My brother in law works for one of the local school districts and they have some stimulus funds they absolutely had to spend by the end of the month or it was being taken away. So the school decided to throw away all the perfectly good and useful furniture so they could get new furniture for "free". He told us this story in awe about how they were hauling perfectly good executive desks, chairs, sofas, tables, etc to be dumped (nobody was allowed to take any of it or sell it). It's a classic "break the window to stimulate the glass business" scenario.

ShortJohnSilver
25th August 2010, 02:12 PM
Local client has a home office where I was visiting him. He got up to let the appraiser come in to look over the house (he may refi, old guy with lots of equity).

The appraiser told him that he was one of the very few jobs he was doing these days that was not a foreclosure.

The state I am in is not a non-recourse state, but is a recourse state, which to me is pretty clear that the foreclosures "bite" is going through the fluff and fat of the bubbles and is hitting the meat and bone...

MNeagle
25th August 2010, 05:59 PM
Sterling silver bracelet: $21.99
Cost to engrave (2 words/17 letters): $35!!!

ShortJohnSilver
2nd September 2010, 07:13 PM
Outback and Carabba's restaurants have both raised their prices, and are emphasizing cheaper stuff as their sides. Prices for some of the items at Carabba's went up about 8% and Outback about 10% or more.

dysgenic
3rd September 2010, 08:52 PM
I work in a large office building. Half of the units are empty right now. But that's not the scary thing...the units that are in use have very few people working in them. Big big offices with room for dozens if not hundreds of people, and some of them have like 5 people working at a time. There is a gigantic restaurant next door, it probably seats close to 1000 people (no joke, it's that big, I work in a big city)... the place it totally empty during lunchtime. It's kind of surreal.

dys

ShortJohnSilver
15th September 2010, 12:01 PM
RE-flating the Fiat ...

My mother is 81 now, just went into a nursing home, I am her POA...

She had received some unemployment compensation benefits in 2007, and apparently never activated or used the debit card they gave her (probably forgot about it or thought it was junk mail).

Now the state she is in, is trolling through their old UC cards and figuring out who did not actually lay hands on the cash... and they are tracking people down via letter and basically asking them to take it - if they have bank info they will direct deposit it ASAP.

Interesting quote: "NOTE: If you have changed banks or closed your bank account since you last received benefits and owe money to the bank, if you do not contact us to suspend your direct deposit information, the payment may be kept by the bank."

MNeagle
16th September 2010, 07:26 AM
Last month a bucket of 20 wings from the deli: $7.49
This month: $10

Book
16th September 2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00027/nal_albertsons061508_27194c.jpg

Compared prices of Albertson's (conveniently across the street) and the Wal-Mart a few miles away. Albertson's is at least 30%-40% higher item-for-item. Adding insult to injury is Albertson's SELF CHECKOUT and never enough clerks available:

http://www.djchriscruz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/self-checkout-grocery-stores-wal-mart-sucks.jpg

Makes no sense...pay more and bag your own groceries.

:D

Rebel Yarr
16th September 2010, 10:55 AM
I went on a trip into some of the most rural and undeveloped area left in the lower 48 this week...

Everything is for sale...everything....property, both residential & commercial - also - farms, businesses and homesteads. I was really surprised at how much was on the market.

Businesses boarded - houses in the middle of nowhere vacated, burned and shuttered.

Land - all over the place and cheap. Still at 2 - 3 ounces per acre though - I'll be waiting another 6 months -1 year.

etc
17th September 2010, 06:47 AM
Land - all over the place and cheap. Still at 2 - 3 ounces per acre though - I'll be waiting another 6 months -1 year.

Thanks for the report. Waiting here too.

etc
17th September 2010, 06:48 AM
At local WholeFoods, grilled chicken went from 7.88 to 9.99.

A local sushi place, all you can eat for 10.99 kind of thing, was previously packed, with a waiting line outside, esp. at the end of the week. Went yesterday, no line and plenty of seats. Not just at the bar but also tables which were impossible to get.

ShortJohnSilver
26th September 2010, 08:12 PM
Local builder :

Unfortunately in my mind, they just tagged themselves as the "Kia" of home builders:

"Only $99 moves you in!"

http://www.keystonecustomhome.com/CmImageDir/12__1285250013.jpg

lapis
28th September 2010, 08:24 PM
An acquaintance of mine has been interviewing for seasonal work in retail for the holidays.

She applied for a position at Macy's, and the first sign that all was not well was that she walked into a huge room full of people (she had assumed she was getting a personal interview).

2nd: They were told that the position would pay only $8.10/hr, even for those with retail experience.

3rd: No one would be getting scheduled work time; the sales positions would be on-call only (I guess Macy's is expecting people to be sitting at home waiting for that special phone call to come into work).

So, it should be real interesting to see how this plays out! Either Macy's is trying to put the squeeze on desperate unemployed people, and/or they are expecting to make next to nothing during the holidays.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
30th September 2010, 11:42 AM
IM Chat from this morning:

(11:33:53 AM) Her: i dreamt i was in a mental institution and it wasnt scary but rahter calm like being in a church
(11:34:03 AM) Me: Odd
(11:34:12 AM) Me: Confinement really gets to me
(11:34:15 AM) Me: How was it for you?
(11:35:03 AM) Her: i like small spaces
(11:35:10 AM) Her: i freak out in the open
(11:36:40 AM) Me: interesting
(11:36:54 AM) Me: i'm fine anywhere...it's the idea of someone controlling me and telling me I can't leave that makes me crazy
(11:37:09 AM) Her: oh i like rules and stuff
(11:37:15 AM) Her: i dont question many things

Neuro
30th September 2010, 11:45 PM
My business here in Turkey has been very good the last 12 mths or so...

Here is one reason:

Annualized economic growth rates exceeded 10 percent in each of the first two quarters this year and the ISE-100 stock index has risen more than 24 percent.
From: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-29/turkey-taking-economy-higher-lets-erdogan-push-ataturk-changes.html

The turkish lira has strengthened the last 3 mths from 1.60 to the dollar to today 1.44, so at this point gold is cheaper in turkish lira terms, than when I sold 3 mths ago... So I will go and buy some gold today... :sun:

ShortJohnSilver
4th October 2010, 03:12 PM
Stupid Bank Manager

The local credit union I do business with has a branch manager, he is a good guy, friendly, pleasant; he is the guy you go to for loans in that branch.

But he knew NOTHING about MERS, the foreclosure fraud / "show me the note" issues, the stopping of foreclosures in 23 states including PA, etc.

Stuff WE knew about 6 months or more ago, he never even heard of! He didn't even know what MERS was...

IF even the bank manager is clueless about this stuff, then my take is that preps, gold and silver, guns, etc. have a LOOOONNNGG way to run before people realize what is going on.

Rebel Yarr
4th October 2010, 08:10 PM
I use to work in a bank - in IT and I recently dated a personal banker.....

I can tell you that most everyone at a bank is just looking at screens and paper with numbers on it...only the execs, board and a few others even know anything about finance or watch the markets. Most of them too even get tripped up in the politics to make enough time to focus on the big picture.

sunshine05
8th October 2010, 09:32 AM
We went out to dinner with the kids last week, a Saturday evening and there were barely any tables filled. In the past, even a few months ago we would have a short wait. Then Monday evening just me and the husband went out to dinner for my birthday. We just went for pizza and beer because we wanted to catch a movie. No one was there. Really odd. Lots of employees with nothing to do. The theater was practically empty too but that could be because it was a Monday.

Then yesterday I planned to take my son to a book store. It was closed. And the Fresh Market in the same strip mall that had moved out close to a year ago is still vacant. The outdoor shop next to it was also closed. I'm seeing more and more strip malls almost vacant.

One more thing I notice is during the day, early afternoon from noon until 3 or so, traffic is a nightmare. It's as if no one is working anymore and just out and about. Things are strange out there.

JJ.G0ldD0t
14th October 2010, 09:57 AM
My Co- A fairly large international pipeline / petro engineering firm based in Houston just laid off 60 people - 10% of its staff.

Yesterday was a bad day.

mamboni
14th October 2010, 10:21 AM
IM Chat from this morning:

(11:33:53 AM) Her: i dreamt i was in a mental institution and it wasnt scary but rahter calm like being in a church
(11:34:03 AM) Me: Odd
(11:34:12 AM) Me: Confinement really gets to me
(11:34:15 AM) Me: How was it for you?
(11:35:03 AM) Her: i like small spaces
(11:35:10 AM) Her: i freak out in the open
(11:36:40 AM) Me: interesting
(11:36:54 AM) Me: i'm fine anywhere...it's the idea of someone controlling me and telling me I can't leave that makes me crazy
(11:37:09 AM) Her: oh i like rules and stuff
(11:37:15 AM) Her: i dont question many things

She's into light B&D. She wants a strong dominant man to control her and do little nasty things to her. I just mention this 'cause I thought you might profit from the knowledge. ;)

TheNocturnalEgyptian
14th October 2010, 11:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Kuna8.jpg

People out there are getting restless...and informed.

Book
28th October 2010, 09:20 AM
Idaho to cut $8 million in Medicaid services

by Associated Press - KTVB.COM

Updated yesterday at 9:24 PM

BOISE -- The state is poised to make $8 million worth of cuts to Medicaid programs and services that cater to low-income adults with severe mental illness or children with disabilities like Autism.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare has drafted a new set of rules that would authorize cuts designed to save the agency about $1.6 million. The state cuts, however, would also trigger the loss of another $6.5 million in Medicaid matching money used to pay for those services.

Advocates for the mentally ill and disabled say the rules unfairly target a group that can ill afford rollbacks in services and programs.

Set to go in effect in January, the reductions or elimination of some services target programs for adults diagnosed with severe depression and schizophrenia, or children with Asperger's syndrome or other developmental challenges.

:o

Linky (http://www.ktvb.com/news/Idaho-to-cut-8-million-in-Medicaid-services-105903503.html)

TheNocturnalEgyptian
29th October 2010, 01:33 PM
In case you aren't familar, this brand prints "99 cents!" right on the can. This is the first time I've ever seen them marked up.

http://i.imgur.com/pP7V6.jpg

BrewTech
29th October 2010, 10:31 PM
In case you aren't familar, this brand prints "99 cents!" right on the can. This is the first time I've ever seen them marked up.

http://i.imgur.com/pP7V6.jpg

ROFL! That's too funny... fool's gonna get home and take the price tag off and be all

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dcdi--LdAeQ/Sa1sWd8j4pI/AAAAAAAAEBg/BGX_vc32JHc/s400/wtf.jpg

etc
5th November 2010, 07:42 AM
the most expensive eggs in wholefoods are now 6 FRN/dozen. Used to be 4.50/dozen.
Grilled chicken went from 7.99 to 9.99.

local all you can eat sushi bar used to have a line outside now is 1/3 empty.

chad
5th November 2010, 09:07 AM
the most expensive eggs in wholefoods are now 6 FRN/dozen. Used to be 4.50/dozen.
Grilled chicken went from 7.99 to 9.99.

local all you can eat sushi bar used to have a line outside now is 1/3 empty.

$6 for eggs? wtf, are they from the golden goose or something?

MNeagle
5th November 2010, 09:58 AM
$.50/egg! Is Whole Foods all organic? That MUST be the price of organic eggs.

joe_momma
5th November 2010, 10:20 AM
bacon - 1 lb - $4.98

(It was $2.59 just 11 months ago in January).

ShortJohnSilver
5th November 2010, 02:54 PM
Aldi's visit today, hadn't been there for a while.

Corned beef hash, was $1.29 - now $1.49
chicken broth in can, 39 cents - now 45 cents

Rebel Yarr
7th November 2010, 08:42 AM
Local bank has armed security guards out front - this is in a good neighborhood - rarely hear of any violent crimes. I've never seen any armed guards around banks in this area.

MNeagle
7th November 2010, 01:28 PM
Local bank has armed security guards out front - this is in a good neighborhood - rarely hear of any violent crimes. I've never seen any armed guards around banks in this area.

I recall reading earlier (in the year?) that one of the busiest 'industries' was bullet-proof glass, and banks were the biggest customers. Not only replacing the exterior glass, but every teller window as well.

Rebel Yarr
8th November 2010, 06:36 PM
I just paid 6 bucks for deodorant. - WTF!!!!

BrewTech
8th November 2010, 09:43 PM

Showers are cheaper, when ya do the numbers... ;D

buyingsilvers
9th November 2010, 05:48 AM
Picked up a 20oz bottle of coca cola recently. $1.89/ bottle = wtf.

Economy in my area seems to be holding fast jobs wise. We're heavily dependent on tourism and the military spending. Tourism has actually increased recently probably partially due to worldwide tourism. Military spending is holding fast.

Businesses are still holding on, many still losing money. No drastic increases of empty storefronts, although there is a lot of movement with businesses shutting down and others taking their places. Helps that the official unemployment rate is maybe 66% of the national unemployment rate. Lots of people I know are paycheck to paycheck though, as families are still coping with furloughs, layoffs, and wage freezes. Nothing new there though.

mamboni
9th November 2010, 05:53 AM

Use colloidal silver solution instead of deodorant - it's safer and more effective.

Local massage parlor raised price for standard massage to $50 from $40! And a PM went up to $25. >:(

k-os
9th November 2010, 12:22 PM
I walked about 2 miles today to a store and back. I passed by three sporting goods stores (none of them big names), and two of them were out of business. The closings looked recent - the signs were not faded, everything was clean, etc.

I got really excited when I saw that there was sushi restaurant within walking distance, until I saw the "Closed" sign. It looks like that restaurant was open yesterday.

Mouse
9th November 2010, 10:54 PM
sushi store probably doesn't open until 5 PM. It's a cultural thing, the good sush no open till 5 or 6, otherwise screw you. We have plenty customers.

MNeagle
10th November 2010, 08:36 AM
NPR was running a story this morning about cotton prices raising 50%. The gist of the story was: buy your cotton goods NOW. For next week the prices will be higher. Stores are opting to either a:) raise prices or b:) not stock as many cotton products.

Got socks, jeans, linens, et al?

Book
10th November 2010, 08:52 AM
Local massage parlor raised price for standard massage to $50 from $40!

http://www.massagetherapistschools.net/img/thumb/badmassage2.jpg

Your posts at GSUS in the afternoon are less grouchy. Must be the Happy Ending nooner.

:D

joe_momma
11th November 2010, 09:38 AM
The local Lucky grocery store weekly ad cam out - it offered

"Buy one pack of Oscar Mayer Bacon (various weights) get One Free!"

"Woo-hoo" time to load up on salted pork products!

I get to the store and sure enough, there's the packages of lovely salted fat - oh, but the price -

$7.99 a pound! (oddly, about twice the current gouging rate here).

The bastards are offering "buy one, get one free" only after doubling the price!

steel_ag
12th November 2010, 09:32 AM
Here is the $6 deodorant I use... http://www.greenbeaverus.com/body/deodorant/tea-tree-natural-deoodorant.html

Use colloidal silver solution instead of deodorant - it's safer and more effective.

Local massage parlor raised price for standard massage to $50 from $40! And a PM went up to $25. >:(

lapis
12th November 2010, 07:27 PM
Even better, take some zinc, preferably sublingual zinc gluconate tablets until you get a metallic taste in your mouth. Then take one or two every day to maintain tissue saturation.

One of the signs of a zinc deficiency is general b.o. coupled with stinky 'pits and paradoxically a reduced ability to smell.

lapis
12th November 2010, 07:45 PM
I've gotten a couple of part-time jobs since dh is out of work again. One is with a major retailer, the other elderly care-giving with light duties.

At the store, one of the security guards is in his 50s-early 60s. He seemed a bit old and worldly for the job, and after becoming friends he told he he used to be the head of an international sales team making six figures until about five years ago.

One day he gets an email from corporate saying his contract won't be renewed for the following year. He tried to stay in the same field, but couldn't get another job despite looking for a year. The U.S. economy seems to be shaking people out who are middle-aged.

One of the elderly men I take care of is one of those salt-of-the-earth types who pulled himself up by his bootstraps from poverty in the last Depression to become a self-made man.

You'd never guess it from his home, car, or the way he dresses that he's a millionaire. He saves all his plastic baggies to re-use in trash cans and turns out the lights religiously when he leaves a room.

It really makes me angry, he has all this money he's saved up all his life, but doesn't know where to put it because there's basically no place that will give him a decent return.

He rails against the Fed and the fraud in the marketplace daily, but he's in the minority of my acquaintances. He, dh, and a couple of friends are pretty much the only ones who are on the same page when it comes to this topic.

Answer2me
14th November 2010, 10:02 AM
Was in palm springs the other day. Since this place is crawling with high net worth retired people some might find my observations interesting. There is a lot of high net worth guys who have second homes, people who excape south for the winter. Driving through indian wells on a friday night you would not think there is any economic crisis looming. The restaruants where packed, people would buy #hit on a stick if it where served. Even the high end restaurants had a wait list (flemings). To my surprise PF changs :) had a one hour wait, and this for some glorified panda express! I did notice a lot of vacant comerical space. I overheard one of the conversations at dinner, the topic was real estate. The man and his wife where talking to a couple about being upside down on an investment, he could find leasees for a comercial building he owns.

Here is the interesting part. On the way home i sat next to a man who showed me pictures of his yacht and 4.2million$ house he was building. This is a man of means, i would estimate his net worth at about 50-100 million after talking with him, i only believe about 30% of what people say in general, but the man showed me pictures. We got to talking and he told me that he is retired and manages his portfolio full time. Part of managing that portfolio is building high end homes. He has been building about one every year or so. Beautiful place, the kind with a stream running through it. He sells them for a profit. He was very frank with me, told me how his money was invested. He said with his portfolio he has excess to very low interest rate loans. Recenetly, he told me, he took out a 3million$ loan at 2.72% interest. He then rolled it into a high yielding stock that paid him a 6% dividend. Smart i thought! There is one thing that i noticed, everything this man owened was in the form of paper, except his house speculation. He had little to know hard assests. Land ect..... He held bonds and securities. I expect this to be true for most of the extreamly wealthy class. This guy knew his economic cycles, he said he would invest with the times, if he couldnt find a play for his money he would pull it out and wait. I asked him what he thought of gold and silver, he said he owned some, i asked in what form. Of course paper. I told him that eventually all paper burns and that he should have a few 100oz bars laying around. He said, what if the hookers find them! lol! For him it is uncomfortable holding the real thing, it puts all the responsability into his hands. With a stock, bond, security, ownership is easyer, it takes a lot less effort to buy sell or trade. I think that is what it really comes down to, effort. BTW, on the day i met this guy he said his portfolio pulled in $60k, thats in one day. The rich are getting richer.

Book
16th November 2010, 07:19 AM
Several more vacant houses in the neighborhood. It looks like a second round of foreclosures kicking in.
My next door neighbors must have 7 people living in the house to help them keep current with their mortgage. ::)

http://scallywagandvagabond.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/crackhouse.jpg

:oo-->

sunshine05
22nd November 2010, 05:46 PM
Okay, our Netflix is going up $3/month beginning in January! That is quite an increase from 16 to 19.

Rebel Yarr
22nd November 2010, 08:13 PM
I use netflix and received the e-mail too. They are also offering a streaming only service which is $7.99/mo. now though - so that works better for me. I think the price increase is only for new subs as well.

k-os
22nd November 2010, 09:20 PM
I met a guy at the "Beer Garden" in the RV Park I am in. He is 40 and used to pour concrete in Las Vegas for which he received $8000 a month in wages. He said one day, it all just stopped, without warning. He has been unemployed, and looking for work since January, and just found a job doing maintenance for the National Parks Service, making $18/hour.

He is living in his parents 1970's trailer, but he has a nice SUV, two new looking Sea Doo's and a boat (I didn't see it), which are surely items purchased during the boom years.

We talked for about three beers. He seemed like he could be a GIM2 kind of person. (Hey, you have to admit, a GIM2er is still way better than the average person.)

The story of his 2010 made me very grateful for what I have. . . employment.

sunshine05
23rd November 2010, 08:56 AM
I met a guy at the "Beer Garden" in the RV Park I am in. He is 40 and used to pour concrete in Las Vegas for which he received $8000 a month in wages. He said one day, it all just stopped, without warning. He has been unemployed, and looking for work since January, and just found a job doing maintenance for the National Parks Service, making $18/hour.

He is living in his parents 1970's trailer, but he has a nice SUV, two new looking Sea Doo's and a boat (I didn't see it), which are surely items purchased during the boom years.

We talked for about three beers. He seemed like he could be a GIM2 kind of person. (Hey, you have to admit, a GIM2er is still way better than the average person.)

The story of his 2010 made me very grateful for what I have. . . employment.

I'm surprised he was able to keep his concrete job for that long. Here all the concrete work is done by illegals. I'm sure they don't make 8K/month either:(.

Rebel Yarr
23rd November 2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah - highest paid concrete work would be union carpentry doing forms - not making 100k a year doing that.... $20-30 and hour sounds more realistic. sounds like he was trying to impress someone :)

lapis
29th November 2010, 07:19 PM
The major retailer I work for posted record profits for Black Friday.

BUT!

Newly-hired temporary workers were interviewed about a month ago, but didn't start work until a week ago, with their training ending on Black Friday itself.

One of my co-workers said there were six less employees in her department compared to last year. Also, until this year seasonal help was hired and started working more than a month before BF in order to be experienced enough to handle the volume of customers and tasks.

I was all alone in my department for hours, and all I could do was pick crap up off the floor. There were multiple calls to give people in other departments a break, and to help out the cashiers. We were painfully short-handed all day long and for the rest of the weekend.

k-os
8th December 2010, 06:25 PM
I spoke with a former co-worker today, and she is hiring a new assistant. I worked at a sports organization which has members (customers).

I said "Wow, I am sure you will get someone great, because there are so many people out of work right now, eager to find a job."

She told me that no, she only had 4 applicants to choose from, because instead of posting the job with a recruiting firm, their new policy is to only offer the job to certain unemployed members (customers) of the organization. I thought that was interesting, though not horrible. Companies are getting more specific about hiring from a base that also helps support their business.

In addition, she told me that they have a "Diversity Initiative" that they are all doing at work. Everyone had to complete a questionnaire with ideas on how to diversify the organization. This means, essentially, how to get more women and non-white people involved.

One of the applicants is black, and she was told, in hush tones, to think hard about the Diversity Initiative while considering who to hire for the job. She feels (like I do) that the person best qualified for the job should get the job, regardless of race, gender, etc.

Fortunately, she liked the black applicant the best anyway, but if she had not, she would have felt pressured to hire him. Unfortunately, he is getting his masters degree and will likely grow out of the assistant position before he's even completely learned the necessary skills for the job. But, I imagine she's not even able to think like that (meaning logically) or voice her concern because of the Diversity Initiative.

Rebel Yarr
8th December 2010, 07:53 PM
Ask any white male under 40 - they will tell you full well about it...... corps get tax breaks for specific races ....... white males are probably poor sheep ... or something....

lapis
9th December 2010, 07:15 AM
white males are probably poor sheep ... or something....

I go with "or something."

According to "The Nine Stages of American Autogenocide,"

With males not around to physically, financially and emotionally protect their women, children, relatives and neighbors, these people are easy targets to disappear.

She's talking about minorities, but I think white males are also a target, but mainly financially (i.e., make it hard for them to make a living to support a family).

http://hiddenmurder.blogspot.com/2006/09/americas-darkest-secret.html

BrewTech
9th December 2010, 07:25 AM
In the three months I've been working at this job, two "real money advocates" (ha ha) have come in... the first guy was wearing a shirt that had "GOLD IS MONEY" on the back and "END THE FED" on the front. I talked to him... he apparently wasn't familiar with our little family here. The second guy was yesterday and I overheard him telling the old cashier about the price of silver, real money and how he needed to be ready... lol. I should have walked up and said...

"If you don't hold it..." ;D

Next time...

k-os
11th December 2010, 07:19 PM
I just bought a $50 iTunes gift card for my niece for her birthday. They offered me 6 to 12 month financing for a $50 purchase.

Isn't that odd?

Mouse
11th December 2010, 11:00 PM
I got another round of "free" checks from Chase today. They think it would be a wise venture for me to go around and buy things for Christmas with these checks (or reduce my balances on those other high rate cards......) and they will give me a zero percent rate for one year, then it goes up on the whole balance to 8.95% (I guess that's cheap, I dunno, I made like 2 cents on my bank statement this month).

The zinger that makes me laugh is that the checks, should I (oooops too late they are burning in the stove) use them, charge a flat 4% up front for whatever it is you used them for. So they make 4% off the top, which is big interest these days, to provide you with access to credit you already have, and to give you a one year payday advance. If you screw up the date on the final payment they have you for the 4% plus 8.95 on the whole deal.

Fishing for pheeeeees?

Oh please.

I hate these bastards, but you gotta keep something for online and travel purchases and they are just evil.

And there's not much you can do about it. My (regional/local) bank debit card has reduced daily transactions on debit/credit/AtM to $500 a day.

So without a couple bitchass cards, you couldn't go buy that new generator or solar setup you wanted for Christmas, now could you?

Throw them all in the fire and let us dance.

zap
12th December 2010, 11:19 AM
I went to smart and final thursday, the bread I buy (Miltons) is 5.99 for a 2lb loaf ( I know I should bake my own) anyways it was 6.79 this time up 80 cents, ridiculous. Good thing I don't eat bread I just buy good bread for the little one.

Book
12th December 2010, 05:53 PM
Report finds Idaho living-wage jobs hard to find

Associated Press - December 12, 2010 2:14 PM ET

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A recent report says 88% of new job openings in Idaho pay less than a living wage for a family of 4 with one working adult, and 53% pay less than a living wage for a single adult.

The 2010 Northwest Job Gap Report says a single adult needs to earn $29,642 annually to meet basic needs, while a family of 4 with two working adults must make $75,372 a year.

The report also says that for every 30 job seekers there is only one job opening that pays a living wage of $55,000 a year for a family of 3.

http://www.kivitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13659906

AndreaGail
13th December 2010, 05:50 PM
I just bought a $50 iTunes gift card for my niece for her birthday. They offered me 6 to 12 month financing for a $50 purchase.

Isn't that odd?

that is odd...

maybe it was for this? :conf:http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l321/Gail_Andrea/wave.gif
http://store.apple.com/us/instant_credit

lapis
14th December 2010, 08:09 AM
I went to smart and final thursday, the bread I buy (Miltons) is 5.99 for a 2lb loaf ( I know I should bake my own) anyways it was 6.79 this time up 80 cents, ridiculous. Good thing I don't eat bread I just buy good bread for the little one.

$5.99 for Milton's? Ugh.

Believe it or not, S&F's doesn't have the lowest prices on everything. I was just at one yesterday, and was surprised to see that their factory farmed eggs were $1.89/doz.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their bread is much cheaper than Milton's. I like to get the 1.5 lb whole wheat loaf for $1.99. I'd rather spend 50 cents more and get the organic one, but it contains soybean oil.

The whole wheat loaf only has a few ingredients in it. You have to be careful with bread, because a lot of grocers (including Trader Joe's) are adding soybean flour to the loaves, or other fillers like cellulose (which is much cheaper than wheat I'm sure).

As for eggs, TJs sells a dozen extra-large for only $1.50. That's less than any other store in the area. I have to buy them when my friend doesn't have any eggs to sell me from her own hens.

For produce, I like to shop the Hispanic or Asian markets. In fact, just go to any grocery store in the ghetto, and you'll find the same produce from the same growers selling for a fraction of the prices that they charge in the suburbs. Isn't that nice? >:(

Shorty Harris
20th December 2010, 01:27 PM
North Central, Rural Ohio..Gas Station pump Kerosene (1K), For the last 1.5 yrs has been steady at 2.99+Tax Per Gal - 3.19+Tax depending on where you purchase. About 2 weeks ago it raised to 3.49+T at the cheapest of Places, Now, Just today its 3.89+T at the cheapest of places.

Gas as of the A.M is above 3.00 (3.05) for the first time in the 1.5 yrs that we have lived here. :(

Agrippa
20th December 2010, 04:18 PM
In the last couple of weeks I've seen more cars in the ditch than I usually see in a couple of winters; even though road conditions seem about typical for this time of year. It finally dawned on me what the likely cause is: a lot of people driving on worn-out tires this winter....

osoab
20th December 2010, 04:30 PM
In the last couple of weeks I've seen more cars in the ditch than I usually see in a couple of winters; even though road conditions seem about typical for this time of year. It finally dawned on me what the likely cause is: a lot of people driving on worn-out tires this winter....

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average driver.

I don't think tires can explain the number of drivers that drift into my lane just as I am ready to pass them.
I had it happen 7 for 7 one day. I don't forget to watch them anymore.

Cobalt
21st December 2010, 12:14 PM
Picked up coffee at Costco the other day, $12.99 for the same 48oz can I paid $9.99 several weeks back >:(

I predict the manufacturers will soon be stepping up the old switch a roo on package sizes to continue fooling the customers on price increases.

Ice cream now comes in 1.5 quart sizes versus the old standard 1/2 gal size.

Thomas Kemper Root beer comes in 4 packs versus the old standard 6 packs <-- I emailed them and was sent a reply that it was done for shelf space, they didn't reply too my reply of why didn't the price drop to reflect a much smaller package size. :oo-->

TheNocturnalEgyptian
21st December 2010, 11:52 PM
Kung Fu lessons just went up $10 FRN's/month

lapis
23rd December 2010, 05:11 PM
I predict the manufacturers will soon be stepping up the old switch a roo on package sizes to continue fooling the customers on price increases.

You can count on it.

"Grocery Shrink Ray" archives at The Consumerist site:
http://consumerist.com/taking-it-seriously/grocery-shrink-ray/

ShortJohnSilver
30th December 2010, 07:10 PM
Costco Kirkland Brand TP (30 or 36 rolls?) - has gone from $13.69 to $15.39 to today, $17.99 .

MNeagle
7th January 2011, 05:03 PM
Costco Kirkland brand of men's jeans are now $14.99. Load up guys!!

(why do they skip the 36 inch waist? They make 34s and 38s)

Alas, no wool socks.

buyingsilvers
7th January 2011, 05:38 PM
definitely not your imagination.

It made the news. again.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111735/more-and-more-products-lose-weight

ShortJohnSilver
13th January 2011, 05:58 PM
Sign at large restaurant supply store, open to public but they only sell food in bulk:

"Dear Customer, Due to rapid price changes from our suppliers, some of the items in our store may have different prices that what they are marked. Please check with one of our associates prior to checkout if you have any questions."

MNeagle
20th January 2011, 07:34 AM
*Haven't seen canned roast beef available anywhere for months now.

*Getting harder to find plain frozen vegetables. It's primarily all smaller steamer bags; 'with cheese sauce', or other combos at ridiculous prices.

*Noticed a Wal-Mart carrying 25 lb. bags of wheat now, two different types. (Not sure how recently they began this, as I am only in that store a few times/year). There were 3 bags on the shelf, so I don't know if they maintain low inventory of it, or if it's a selling item.

*The "Fun Size" candy bars even shrunk! A mere morsel now. There's more packaging in a bag than product.

osoab
20th January 2011, 04:26 PM
*Noticed a Wal-Mart carrying 25 lb. bags of wheat now, two different types. (Not sure how recently they began this, as I am only in that store a few times/year). There were 3 bags on the shelf, so I don't know if they maintain low inventory of it, or if it's a selling item.

Was it from China?

FreeEnergy
29th January 2011, 07:42 PM
Overhead a conversation between a woman in her 40-ies and a bank clerk (shift manager).

The lady was definitely in distress over economy. She said she could't believe how bad economy is, and how badly this country was screwed up. She continued that because of this a lot of people voted for Mickey Mouse on their ballots, and that there's no worthy leadership anymore, and that in the next election she might even - GASP - vote for a 3rd party....

The lady later drove away in a not too old japanese sedan.

I was going to stick my word in and say that it doesn't matter if you vote for blue guys with red stripes, or red guys with blue stripes - it is all the same gang... but figured revelation will be enough to engage a mental block deposited into her brain by decades of propaganda...let them ripe and think themselves.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
1st February 2011, 05:57 PM
America's next top distraction:

http://i.imgur.com/58Uwl.jpg

ShortJohnSilver
3rd February 2011, 11:22 AM
Wife wanted ice cream... of course you all know already they went from 2 quarts to 1.5 quarts and kept the prices about the same.

Next issue: cannot find chocolate with nuts anywhere even amongst the more expensive stuff that rarely goes on sale ... I figure between the increase in cocoa prices and likely increase in nut prices (I don't know where to find a stock exchange nut index) they must have yanked the flavor.

Second: Turkey Hill makes a flavor called "Party Cake" - they changed the formulation, putting cheaper-tasting and larger bits of "cake" to serve as filler for the more-expensive ice cream.

chad
7th February 2011, 11:09 AM

Was it from China?

after mn eagle posted this, i went to walmart to see for myself. i ended up buying a bag. it was $12 for a 25 bag. says its "certified chemical free" + was grown in montana by:

http://www.wheatmontana.com/

Shorty Harris
10th February 2011, 01:15 PM
Banana's..yeah still kinda cheap, But in the last week they have gone from .29 cents to between ..45 & .56 Cents a pound.

Olmstein
11th February 2011, 03:36 AM
America's next top distraction:

http://i.imgur.com/58Uwl.jpg

I'm voting for number 3: Topless protesters. :)

Book
15th February 2011, 06:32 AM
http://www.ktvb.com/news/State-agencies-directed-to-trim-another-5-from-their-budgets-116167479.html

Idaho trimming the budget again.

Brujo
15th February 2011, 08:47 AM
My wife works in the car business.

Found out that the bulk of car sales (at this dealership) are from people who are putting zero down and financing for 72 months.

I can't imagine paying for a car for 6 years.

osoab
16th February 2011, 05:07 PM
My wife works in the car business.

Found out that the bulk of car sales (at this dealership) are from people who are putting zero down and financing for 72 months.

I can't imagine paying for a car for 6 years.

6 more years of Obummer?

etc
19th February 2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOYoovoVPQ

Thousands Line Up for Atlanta Job Fair

Typical stories, deep in debt, waiting in long, long lines for hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiwBuS3Thgc&NR=1&feature=fvwp

NYC line wraps around the block. Scary, scary, scary. Do they serve soup by any chance?

sunshine05
6th March 2011, 04:52 PM
Deli meat is now $10/pound! I went to a store the other day that is a little more expensive but was not expecting that! Bread is getting pricey now too and some brands are $4/bag.

Rebel Yarr
10th March 2011, 12:49 PM
yeah - I paid $10 lb for freaking smoked turkey slices ---- getting closer.

Buddha
15th March 2011, 03:16 AM
Took a Quickbooks class at the local CC (one does not need a class to do it but employer wanted it) I'm in my early 20s and everyone there in a class of about 15 was 20 years older than me and most were there because they could not find a job and wanted to become more "marketable."

This happened awhile ago but ramen noodles were 18 cents a pack used to be 10 ;) a couple weeks ago chicken flavor was nowhere to be found :o

lapis
15th March 2011, 11:48 AM
Meant to post this a couple of days ago, but I'm all caught up in the Japan DOOOM to the point that I have to close my laptop and stop being on the Internet. :(

I found out at work on Sunday (I work for a major retail chain) that there's been a rash of food thefts from the refrigerator in the break room! This is apparently a first (it certainly is a first for me--I've never encountered this problem before in any other workplace).

It's not fancy stuff that's being stolen, either, mainly basic things like sandwiches.

Ironically, the store manager and the HR rep had a sign up saying that if we needed financial assistance, please talk to them. I don't know what they expect when they've been cutting everyone's hours. I only work one or two days, and even my hours have been cut (some days I work a whopping four hours).

But a couple of weeks ago there was a story about our company in the NYT reporting about the few national chains that are experiencing "profits." Profits my a$$, that's all I have to say about it. But who cares since its stock went up?

On the "bright side," I noticed that they're providing a lot of extra free snacks, including microwavable popcorn, white and "wheat" bread and HFCS-filled jam. Thanks Marie Antoinette! :oo-->

Olmstein
15th March 2011, 07:27 PM
My cab company just raised the meter rate from $1.95/mile to $2.10/mile. They also raised the lease they charge the drivers by $5/day.

When I started driving a cab in 2003, the meter rate was $1.50/mile and gas was $1.45/gal.

MNeagle
19th March 2011, 03:01 PM
$3.99 for 12 oz. of diced ham. Along w/ the cream, cheese, & other ingredients; the cost of my egg bakes just went up.

Crazy.

etc
20th March 2011, 02:24 PM
Most expensive eggs in WholeFoods are 5.99 / dozen.
No such thing as 16 oz coffee pack, they have all been downsized to 12 oz.

Same with cereals, almonds, etc. while the bags appear like they will still hold 16oz.

lapis
28th March 2011, 09:04 AM
Just found out on FB (it's good for something! lol) that a friend's POS 1995 car with over 265,000 was stolen from her workplace.

My new package of Scotch Brite sponges are absolute CRAP. They start to shred after only a few uses. And they used to be so good! :boohoo

MNeagle
30th March 2011, 08:15 PM
Stopped into a Cost Cutters for a haircut. If you want a shampoo, it's now an additional $4.

Next time will return to Fantastic Sam's where the shampoo is included in the (lower) haircut price.

etc
30th March 2011, 09:00 PM
An incredible number of houses and townhomes on the rental market for high prices, ie. 2400/month. Why pay such high rent when you can buy for the same price, even in this abysmal bubble market?

The explanation is of course they cannot sell these newly built townhouses and try to get the mortgage payment out of renters.

Rebel Yarr
31st March 2011, 09:00 AM
also, people renting are trying to attain rent based on the bubble mortgage prices!!! There is a reason that 13% of the homes in the US are vacant - either in foreclosure or asking way too much in rent!

Around here - it seems like every other office space is vacant. I live in one of the better markets in the US for both housing and biz.....I see so many little guys closing left and right ...

TheNocturnalEgyptian
8th April 2011, 09:36 PM
This:

http://i.imgur.com/qDhCz.jpg

Actual Bear: $12
Digital Bear: $17.49

ShortJohnSilver
3rd May 2011, 07:19 PM
So I am looking for a new to me (used) pair of home stereo speakers... have been browsing the local Craigslist.

Lots of comments like "need some cash now" , or more ominous, "we had to move into a smaller place and now these speakers are too large" .

Lots of downsizing, selling things to raise cash, etc.

lapis
4th May 2011, 09:30 PM
Lots of comments like "need some cash now" , or more ominous, "we had to move into a smaller place and now these speakers are too large"

Lots of people who couldn't afford their house mortgage are now living in apartments or condos here in soCal. What will happen when they don't have any money to pay the rent on these places, I wonder?

MNeagle
11th May 2011, 04:52 PM
Four 9x12 flat mailing envelopes (not padded): $1.99 + tax at Target!! :o

Am seeing "Help Wanted"/"Now Hiring" signs more & more in storefronts this week.

AndreaGail
16th May 2011, 01:01 PM
all the blockbusters in my town shut down last month

one is turning into a 7-11...

ShortJohnSilver
6th June 2011, 09:25 AM
http://www.geekatsea.com/lessons-from-a-coffee-entrepreneur

3 lessons from a Coffee Entrepreneur

1 and 2. lower overhead - he cut out credit card processing, computer point of sale terminal and went cash-only, along with IOUs from his regulars - who, glad they are being trusted, do in fact pay up.

3. "John too used to order $70 worth of baked goodies every day, but only sell about half. One day the bakery raised their prices, and that was the tipping point." - started making some homemade baked goods and bought inexpensive donuts, which customers love and which drives his coffee and drink sales...

MNeagle
21st June 2011, 07:40 PM
Economy must be better in the neighborhood this year. Already hearing fireworks after dusk several nights in a row. Typically it's only around the 4th of July week.

MNeagle
18th July 2011, 11:57 AM
Rural northern Minnesota church my relatives belonged to, robbed recently. Snips from an email from my Mom:

...church was "robbed" of everything in the kitchen, everything of the silver service, coffee pots,
communion sets, toilet paper, paper towels, silverware, dishes, even "Swiffers"!
The coffee pots stolen were the old-fashioned blue enamel pots used constantly
by Nellie as she cooked egg coffee for everybody at xxxxxx.

The thieves took everything, including air fresheners in the two bathrooms and garbage
cans. No damage to stained glass windows or pews etc. upstairs, but the "basement is
picked clean". They even stole the gallon jugs of communion wine!

I remember Mom and Dad talking about how much the silver communion set cost and otherkeepsakes given to xxxxxx in honor of various family members, from the funeral
memorial money etc. I know the silver was engraved with xxxxxxx names, and the
total collection amounted to more than $7,000 over the space of the decades
with the chalices, candelabras for the altar and communion sets being the most costly.

At least it wasn't vandalized. But sill, sheesh!

MNeagle
29th July 2011, 10:28 PM
New construction going on for a big commercial building by a SuperTarget, Wells Fargo, etc. the last month or so. Finally today there's a sign announcing what's being built:

Goodwill store

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1034737884194&id=b4ce0d6d71246968565ad5a88a7ad1e4

Other highly speciality shops (opened w/in the last 6 mo.) in a nearby stripmall are now vacated. Surprise, surprise!

I mean really, you're opening a kid's haircut place that advertises their "up-do's" for 6 year olds, 'make-up parties', et al? Get out of town!!

sunshine05
24th August 2011, 09:50 AM
I was out running errands this morning and saw a giant Kroger had recently closed. I was planning to pick up a few items from there too.

I went to a different strip mall and the Video store has a Closing soon sign. It was Hollywood Video I think, a pretty big store. In total, about 8 stores have closed in this one small shopping center. Every time I go there, another store is closing. But.....we aren't in a recession, right? Everything is fine.:)

chad
30th August 2011, 02:43 PM
as of today (8-30-11) a 33 ounce can of folgers at my grocery store is...$15.98.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
2nd September 2011, 08:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zi2bm.jpg

TheNocturnalEgyptian
13th September 2011, 06:07 PM
Six months, has not sold:

http://i.imgur.com/DaWqO.jpg

MNeagle
17th September 2011, 01:36 PM
Double-check your first aid kits.

I needed more 2 x 3 adhesive bandages so was looking over options at the drug store. What a shock on prices! For boxes of just plain gauze pads (10 pack), $5-7.

I think the cotton shortage/price increases from this spring & summer have definitely played into these costs.

AndreaGail
5th October 2011, 10:17 AM
Jobless resort to online posts to find work
By Judy Keen, USA TODAYUpdated 1d 11h ago Comments 241
Craigslist, a network of online communities that offers free classified advertisements, is a portal into the misery of people who are struggling to find jobs. Posts from people who are desperate for work read like Haiku poems that detail hard times and fear.

Some people post sad tales that might or might not be true, and ask for cash donations or loans. Most, though, offer to do almost anything legal for pay. Need Ikea furniture assembled? The going rate is $20-$40. Need your garage organized? That will set you back as little as $10 an hour. Jobless people offer rides across town or to the airport. They'll tend to aging parents, repair cars or replace kitchen faucets.

Alley Foster was thinking about his 7-month-old daughter when he sat at his computer to write a post on Craigslist.

"New father (looking for any work)," he wrote. "Call me anytime for a job."

Foster, 29, who lives in Missoula, Mont., was homeless until two years ago. The only full-time job he had ever had was at a Wendy's restaurant. Now that he has quit drinking, he's determined to build a life for his little girl, Araya, and marry her mother. He really needs a job.

"I've been trying to find a maintenance position, but there isn't the money in the local economy for that," he says. "Nobody hires unless they have to, and when they do hire they pay so little that it doesn't help anybody."

So he turned to Craigslist, where he offered to repair roofs, do electrical or plumbing work, upholstery, construction, moving, remodeling, lawn care. The post has landed him a few jobs, he says. To get through the winter, he plans to offer his services for snow removal and putting up Christmas lights.

"People like me, we're prepared for the worst," he says, recalling his homeless days. "I can live off $3 a day, but I'm concerned for my daughter. I don't want her to have to go through stuff like that."

Gary Burtless, a labor economist at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank, says people who have been living on the margins are up against more than the nation's 9.1% unemployment rate. "The people who have been unemployed the longest and the people who have the least amount of schooling are the ones who are going to recover last," he says.

It will take a robust recovery — which Burtless doesn't think is imminent — for employers to "hire anybody, including people who have been out of work for three years," he says.

Until then, Craigslist and other online resources offer at least some hope for short-term work for modest pay to the unemployed.

Chicago: 'Need some extra help?'

When Anna Briskman left her job as an events planner at the Field Museum in April, she figured it would take two or three months at the most to find a new position. She's still looking, and her Craigslist post says she's willing to help with errands, shop for groceries or "clean out the garage or kitchen with you."

Briskman, 31, has a degree in hospitality administration and experience working at hotels and on cruise ships. She networks, volunteers and posts her résumé on career sites.

"It's just a lot of good competition out there, and people just don't get back to you at all," she says. She lives with a sister and has supportive friends who keep her spirits up, but "it's been getting harder" to cope, Briskman says.

While she depletes her savings to cover living expenses, she still hopes she will find a job that advances her career. Meanwhile, she has helped someone clean out their garage, helped organize friends' weddings and participated in focus groups for modest pay. She trained for and competed on a relay team in a triathlon, which she says kept her motivated and fulfilled.

"I believe that life is full of valleys," she says. "This is just hills and valleys."

Jacksonville: 'I am needing work'

In his post, Lawrence Gales, 33, says he is "a hard worker, honest, dependable, with reliable transportation," he writes. "Also I have a 3-year son that I am trying to support. I do lawn care, auto cleanup, pressure washing, painting."

Behind those words is a complicated life. He hasn't held a full-time job since 2008. A couple winters ago, desperate for work, he sat by the side of the road holding a sign that read "looking for work" until police ran him off. His Craigslist post has gotten him a few jobs, mostly doing lawn work and a little roofing.

Depending on strangers to treat him fairly hasn't always worked out. He worked for one man for three days and was paid just $20. "This is what he thought I was worth," Gales says. "That has affected me."

He wants to support his son, Lawrence Jr., and his son's mother, and it weighs on him when he can't. "It really makes me depressed to be struggling and trying to find the right direction to go in life. I'm just looking for that one opportunity."

First he has to make it through the winter. He worries he'll have to sell his lawn equipment; that would make it harder to get jobs in the spring. He has had to borrow money from his family, increasing his stress. "We don't know where we're going to be tomorrow," he says.

New Orleans: 'Reasonable rates' offered

Peggy Ranson, an ad and marketing designer, took a buyout from the New Orleans Times-Picayune two years ago. She had recently had a heart attack, and the deal was appealing: salary and health-insurance coverage for one year.

That year went by quickly, and Ranson, 62, had developed a condition that made it difficult to walk. Her prescriptions cost about $400 a month. Her ailments put her on disability, and she can't handle a full-time job. "It took a few months for it to sink in that I really needed to seek extra income," she says. She stopped taking one of her medications that cost $200 a month.

After a few months of looking on Craigslist for part-time work, a friend suggested that she advertise her services on the site. It worked. She has found a design job, and two-thirds of her fee was paid upfront.

"All I know is I have gotten some nibbles," she says, "and one seems to have worked out."

Bloomington, Ill.: 'Want to do your chores'

Layla Trumper lays out her predicament in stark terms in her Craigslist post. "So here is the deal," she writes. "I am currently laid off, and unemployment barely pays me enough to eat every month after bills."

She explains that she's willing to do "whatever you might need help with" for $10 an hour: yard work, cleaning, dog sitting, general labor.

Trumper, 26, moved to Illinois from Oregon a year ago to be with her boyfriend, a college student. In Oregon, she worked full-time cleaning apartments.

Since the move, she has had a couple of temp jobs. Fast-food restaurants aren't hiring. "Months go by, and you don't even get a bite. That's why I went to Craigslist," she says.

She has gotten a few jobs cleaning houses, but transportation is an issue; her 1998 car has 250,000 miles on it, bad tires and broken windshield wipers. She gets food stamps and $440 a month in unemployment benefits.

Her situation is hard on her self-esteem, Trumper says. "It's hard to be like, 'I'm going to try my best today,'" she says. "I really do want to work." Between job searches, she does art projects. "At least I'm making progress somewhere."

There's a postscript on her online post. "I am not one of those college girls that will do chores in sexy clothing. I actually want to just do a job and nothing inappropriate so please don't ask."

Phoenix: 'Willing to do whatever it takes'

All Chris Pacion wants is a chance.

He's 19 and has never had what he calls "a 9-to-5 job." He has no high school degree but is working for his GED. He has no family to help. He has no car. He has lived on the streets but now gets food stamps and is sharing an apartment with friends.

He has dreams, though. He would love to go to college and become an architect. He would love to build a house in Oregon.

For now, though, Pacion is struggling.

"I don't care what it is that you want me to do, just as long as you are willing to pay me," his Craigslist post says. "I am very smart and I am very determined. Please give me a chance to prove what I'm worth."

He doesn't mind cleaning and will "scrub toilets," his post says. "I'll do yard work, weed whacking, lawn mowing, anything! I don't care what it is, I'll do it!"

Pacion says he wants to "finally be able to make it on my own." His post has gotten him a few jobs, mostly doing lawn work. He spends part of each day at a public library and the learning center where he's studying for his GED, applying for jobs online.

He wishes the federal government would do more to help people like him. "They're not creating jobs," he says. "As much as they say they want to and they will, they're not. Instead of sending jobs to China, they should be building factories here."

Pacion says he's motivated to succeed and never wants to live on the streets again. "I just need somebody to give me a chance," he says. "Once I get that, I'm good. I have that much confidence."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/2011-10-03/jobs-craigslist-unemployed-economy-classified-ads/50647040/1?loc=interstitialskip

AndreaGail
12th November 2011, 11:55 AM
just went and filled my tank and the person before me got $3.50 in gas! So it was either a gs-user wanted to just top off or someone really struggling to make ends meet, the latter being much more likely :D

chad
26th November 2011, 11:43 AM
ran around doing some errands the last few hours. observations:

walmart- went in to get some 25 pound bags of wheat berries. place was deserted. i've never seen it so empty.

ace hardware- went in to get some bolts. i was the only person in the store for at least 15 minutes. 1 other person in the store when i left.

grocery store- getting some stuff for dinner. place was deserted. checkers standing around.

gamestop- bought the kids a nintendo ds for xmas, stopped in to look at used games. i was there for 40 minutes, i was the only person in the store.

Dogman
26th November 2011, 11:50 AM

walmart- went in to get some 25 pound bags of wheat berries. place was deserted. i've never seen it so empty.

ace hardware- went in to get some bolts. i was the only person in the store for at least 15 minutes. 1 other person in the store when i left.

grocery store- getting some stuff for dinner. place was deserted. checkers standing around.

gamestop- bought the kids a nintendo ds for xmas, stopped in to look at used games. i was there for 40 minutes, i was the only person in the store. It could be because of the holidays, everyone, is some place else? For some they would have worked a 5 day holiday out of this.

madfranks
26th November 2011, 12:37 PM

gamestop- bought the kids a nintendo ds for xmas, stopped in to look at used games. i was there for 40 minutes, i was the only person in the store.

The Ace Hardware being deserted is strange - today and today only Ace has a 50% off coupon for anything in the store! I would have imagined that Ace would be busy today! As a matter of fact, that's where I'm heading in a few hours to see if I can snag a deal. I frequent my local gamestop all the time, many times they're empty and many times they're full. I haven't yet upgraded my daughter to a DS, she still plays her old Game Boy Advance SP, and she loves it.

osoab
26th November 2011, 01:17 PM
just went and filled my tank and the person before me got $3.50 in gas! So it was either a gs-user wanted to just top off or someone really struggling to make ends meet, the latter being much more likely :D

Could have been someone that need 1 gallon for 2 cycle mix.

uranian
29th November 2011, 04:56 AM
i've been running a small cash for gold business the past couple of years (and before y'all hate on me too much for that, i'm buying everything at auctions rather than advertising and paying people shite rates - typically i'm paying around 93% of spot, and i've helped a few friends buy gold coins over the past couple of years), and i notice lately that spot price in euros is becoming less and less relevant...my win ratio on what i bid on has dropped to almost zero over the past couple of weeks. i've generally found that when we hit new highs, it takes a few days for people to adjust to that, so i'm hoping we get new highs soon so that i start making some money again!

MNeagle
3rd December 2011, 01:39 PM
The Goodwill store I mentioned earlier is now open & I finally got to check it out today. As we were leaving, I noticed the glass display cases near the checkout, typically they hold the 'higher-end' stuff, but priced accordingly.

Now, however, the items are not priced at all. It is a "Silent Auction", where you pay a one-time fee of $20 to register. Then, you may bid.

In this store, 1 'group/or set' had 3 silver coffee/tea pots. Another set to bid on was silver trays, cups, a few small serving pieces. An old antique doll about 18", things like that. I found it interesting to say the least... I'll bet a PRO might really make out on those silent auctions. They're held every week, so the merchandise is always changing...

MNeagle
3rd December 2011, 01:43 PM
oh, and one non-English speaking older couple were sorting through the loose silverware quite intensely. I was under the impression they were hunting for silver pieces, but they didn't find any. (Flatware in the general area, not in a display case).

milehi
28th December 2011, 10:58 AM
Tract houses are still being built in Socal. Yesterday, I drove past seven(ish) houses in various stages of framing. When I drove by they were rolling trusses. Next to that, they were grading lots and installing power poles for the next phase. This is right off the 210. The billboard said the prices were in the mid $300s for the spec homes.

dys
28th December 2011, 01:19 PM
I've been doing credit repair as a side business for a few years, so I like to stay on top of bank lending policies. Credit has never been so difficult to get. Business credit especially, forget it. It is almost impossible for small businesses to borrow money under any circumstance outside of a few hundred dollars.

dys

zap
28th December 2011, 01:28 PM
Tract houses are still being built in Socal. Yesterday, I drove past seven(ish) houses in various stages of framing. When I drove by they were rolling trusses. Next to that, they were grading lots and installing power poles for the next phase. This is right off the 210. The billboard said the prices were in the mid $300s for the spec homes.

Tract work has pretty much stopped up this way, but Apts are going up . A few are bulding spec houses, starting one tomorrow.

uranian
1st January 2012, 12:02 PM
dys, i run my business off credit cards, and i've gotten new ones recently. even a bloody amazon credit card, had to laugh when i received it as it's a bank of america card, they gave me a 5 grand limit without so much as a credit check. i'm guessing you work in more loans than credit, but that's the situation for me here in blighty, anyway.

dys
3rd January 2012, 12:35 PM
dys, i run my business off credit cards, and i've gotten new ones recently. even a bloody amazon credit card, had to laugh when i received it as it's a bank of america card, they gave me a 5 grand limit without so much as a credit check. i'm guessing you work in more loans than credit, but that's the situation for me here in blighty, anyway.

But did you PG it (personal guaranty)? Word is that NONE of the banks do business credit cards without PGs now unless the company is medium or large. You probably have a PG on that credit card and you don't realize it. That means essentially that the credit card is a personal credit card, not a business credit card. The liability is joint and several, meaning the business and the person owe the money.

dys

edit: http://creditboards.com/forums/
check out the business credit section

uranian
3rd January 2012, 03:48 PM
yeah my business is set up as a sole tradership, the least official way of doing this, so they are all personal cards. so it's mainly business that banks aren't lending to? i'm surprised they're lending at all tbh.

dys
4th January 2012, 07:52 AM
yeah my business is set up as a sole tradership, the least official way of doing this, so they are all personal cards. so it's mainly business that banks aren't lending to? i'm surprised they're lending at all tbh.

Personal credit is way way down, to. Just not gone. I would guess credit limits are down between 50-80% from what they were 10 years ago.

dys

chad
4th January 2012, 09:50 AM
i had a line of credit at the bank (never used it) that they closed last week for no reason. it wasn't huge either, 5k is all.

undgrd
4th January 2012, 09:56 AM
They need reserves on hand for open lines of credit. If you're not using it, they can eliminate the need for additional reserves by closing it. Since it's technically their line of credit and you're just using it, they can close it out.

lapis
3rd February 2012, 12:32 AM
Speaking again about product shrink, food manufacturers are adding more and more water to chicken at the grocery store. I get a lot of Foster Farms and similar brands to feed my dog, and their chicken now contains 4% up from 3% last year. Some brands of organic contain 5%! That's some expensive water.

lapis
13th February 2012, 10:48 PM
Gosh it's awfully quiet here. I feel a bit sheepish to keep complaining about things, but when you're a stay-at-home mother trying to buy food and a few extras with one income, you really notice how far a dollar stretches. I've been a SAHM for ten years now, and I know for sure products weren't as cheaply-made as they were even a decade ago.

So today's complaint is about car parts. I got an oil change last week, and the mechanic pointed out that my tires are bald. I have to admit I never really pay attention, because my dh usually takes care of things like that. But he's been working 12-hour shifts at odd times and is a bit out of commission to notice these things lately.

He had purposefully bought good tires and even got some kind of warranty for them. I thought he'd just recently bought them in the last two years, but it turns out they are a little over three years old.

So how long was the warranty good for? Just three years. It expired in December. I'll have to look at the mileage, but this is the car that I use mainly to run errands and take small trips. I am not driving all over creation in that car, and I'm really disappointed to have to replace them.

Coincidentally, the electronic system seemed to be acting up. Some dashboard lights flashed on after I went to the grocery store on Friday, and then after I turned it off for a few hours, the car wouldn't start back up again. I was sweating bullets wondering what the heck was the problem, but it turned out to be just the battery that dh bought about six months ago.

Thankfully he had also gotten a warranty, so they had to replace it.

So the moral of the story is: if the store offers a warranty on something, take it. You will probably have to use it. Everything is now made as if it's going to be sold at Harbor Freight, so budget accordingly.

milehi
23rd April 2012, 08:28 PM
Today on my way back from lunch to the office, I saw new construction in a tract that was unfinished and has laid dormant since 2008. I drove up in and counted 12 units being framed. 2000-3300 square feet for 200-400K, and stacked close enough to hear your neighbor fart.

Sparky
14th May 2012, 11:55 AM
Yesterday at OfficeMax...

4 GB thumb drive memory stick: $5.33
Garage sale price stickers: $6.79/pack

The times they are a-changin'.

MNeagle
17th May 2012, 07:06 PM
Here's a new one in this area: the gold buyers (who advertise on the radio) are offering a 30-day guarantee. They buy your gold, if the price goes up in 30 days, they'll cover the difference. Now at what % they're buying I have no clue. Anyone else hearing similiar promises?

osoab
19th May 2012, 08:42 PM
Here's a new one in this area: the gold buyers (who advertise on the radio) are offering a 30-day guarantee. They buy your gold, if the price goes up in 30 days, they'll cover the difference. Now at what % they're buying I have no clue. Anyone else hearing similiar promises?

That's interesting MN. I wonder if the gold well is drying up.

Horn
1st August 2012, 09:17 AM
Costa Rica: small construction addition to existing home.

Owner goes to bank for small home improvement loan, bank tells owner they will give loan only after the construction is complete...

mamboni
1st August 2012, 09:38 AM

They are parasitic bloodsucking scum. They typically offer less than 50% of spot price of the gold content. So if gold goes up 10%, the seller is still getting ass-raped, only with a slightly shorter broomsticks.

Buddha
2nd August 2012, 05:59 PM
I've been noticing alot of "WE BUY GOLD" "shacks" popping up. They are in EVERY strip mall now no matter how small or large ( one just moved into a 3 unit strip in between a tombstone seller and a nail salon) and moved into some abandoned properties. Some pop up then go away after a few months, others have people out on the street dressed as uncle Sam waving signs. Usually it's both. One moved into a larger building.

BrewTech
2nd August 2012, 07:29 PM
I went into one of the many "AAA Gold Exchange" uhhh... "offices" near where I worked just to get an idea of what they were paying. Once the guy realized I had a clue as to what I was talking about he became quite candid. They make their money dumping scrap gold (or whatever) onto the refiner for a small margin, which means they can't pay anyone anything CLOSE to what their metal is worth. He said he understood that the coin shops pay a lot more for coinage and whatnot, because they keep it in house and resell it. Because he does not have anything on display for sale, he cannot pay squat.

This may or may not be entirely true, but that's what he told me.

JohnQPublic
6th August 2012, 03:49 PM
I've been noticing alot of "WE BUY GOLD" "shacks" popping up. They are in EVERY strip mall now no matter how small or large ( one just moved into a 3 unit strip in between a tombstone seller and a nail salon) and moved into some abandoned properties. Some pop up then go away after a few months, others have people out on the street dressed as uncle Sam waving signs. Usually it's both. One moved into a larger building.

You may find this interesting. (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?62539-Lead-for-Cash-amp-Gold)

MNeagle
11th December 2012, 12:22 PM
Drive-up ATM @ bank now gives out $50 bills, which is new/odd. Not sure if it's common @ reg/non-bank atms.

I assume these are subject to 'the pen'? Not sure I like the added scrutiny that a 50 brings...

BabushkaLady
25th January 2013, 03:35 PM
Here it is almost the end of January and I'm still seeing marked down Christmas items in stores. 70% off and no takers. This is the first time I've seen this.

Also noticed steaks marked down, guess peeps are buying them at full price anymore?

Sparky
25th January 2013, 06:49 PM
Here it is almost the end of January and I'm still seeing marked down Christmas items in stores. 70% off and no takers. This is the first time I've seen this.

Also noticed steaks marked down, guess peeps are buying them at full price anymore?
Hmmm. Steak in my local grocery store jumped up by a whopping $2/pound this week. After last summer's drought, the prediction was that beef prices would drop as steer are culled in mass quantities, and then rise once the initial supply is absorbed.

Maybe you are seeing the last of the drop, and I am seeing the first of the rise.

BabushkaLady
25th January 2013, 07:05 PM
Maybe you are seeing the last of the drop, and I am seeing the first of the rise.

My post above should have said aren't buying at full price. typo!!

That's why they are marked down from the original high price. Still sitting there til the store throws them out even at the mark down price.

AndreaGail
26th January 2013, 03:57 PM
Drive-up ATM @ bank now gives out $50 bills, which is new/odd. Not sure if it's common @ reg/non-bank atms.

I assume these are subject to 'the pen'? Not sure I like the added scrutiny that a 50 brings...

there are now atm's that dispense $1's, $5's and coins even!

BrewTech
27th January 2013, 11:59 AM

Grass fed beef at a local store here - $23.99/lb.

Individual steaks of said beef around 15 bucks.

gunDriller
4th March 2013, 02:14 PM
i visited family in SoCal and went looking for a ski-hat because i couldn't find my ski hat.

lowest price i could find was $15 on sale.

ski-hats at Target - $22.

i was blown away. i was thinking, $5, maybe.

i also can't believe people's acceptance of the US gov. inflation numbers. it's so obvious that prices are going up, in general. i think 10% a year is very conservative.

yet GNP growth is 2%.

that means, even with all the stimuli, that the REAL economy is shrinking at the rate of 8% a year.

this is elementary school math.

but people just don't want to think about it.

when the economy shrinks 8% a year 4 years in a row - it's 71.6% the size it was 4 years ago. (actually more, the wheels came off more like 4 1/2 to 5 years ago.)

MNeagle
8th October 2013, 09:28 AM
I like to review the local shopper coupon mags: a new one this month is buy 1 movie ticket, get 1 free. And you can buy 1 popcorn & get a free large soda. That's a first around here.