PDA

View Full Version : A good book for wilderness survival

madfranks
6th April 2010, 06:39 PM
...and city survival too. It's called Survival: Live Off the Land in the City and Country by Ragnar Benson. It's my favorite in my survival library because it covers a good portion of the basics of hardcore survival in case SHTF quickly and swiftly. How to make shelter, traps, forage, etc. are all covered here. I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Live-Land-City-Country/dp/0806508671

I'll look it over a little later and get back with some of the better points in the book.

FiftySense
8th April 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Mad, I have a website that I'd like to contribute to this topic which has taught me a lot thus far.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

Awoke
13th April 2010, 04:14 AM
Nice. I have a number of books on survival (Including military issued books and manuals), but I enjoyed the book by Les Stroud the best because he is a Canadian born in the same area as myself, and when he talks about survival, he covers a lot about surviving in the area native to me.

I don't need to know how to find water in vines and get coconut from a tree: I need to be able to survive a harsh and cold climate in the Boreal forest!

This is still a learning curve for me. I'm a survival noob in a way, but I know this much:
I completed a 17-day water fast and felt good throughout the duration, after the first three days, so water is all I (or anyone else) would need for an extended period of time.

A group of my friends and I are going to go on a canoe trip for a weekend this spring. I am going to bring four sweet potatos, a rifle and a fishing rod for food.

My wife has made it clear that she is not going to eat squirrel, so if she comes, she will bring her own food. Should be fun!

RJB
13th April 2010, 06:24 AM
. I am going to bring four sweet potatos, a rifle and a fishing rod for food.
Since squirrel like to run around 1st thing in the morning, setting some 110 conibear traps on logs the afternoon before, is a good way to get squirrel as you sleep in an extra hour or 2. Good snares set on beaver runs will feed your entire expedition as you do nothing but drink a few beers with friends, a gill net that weighs a few ounces will catch those fish that ignore your bait.

I seriously recommend trapping videos, books, and experience to anyone who really wants to understand survival. I learned more about the outdoors in my 1st 2 weeks of running a trapline than in 20 years of hunting.

Granted I understand it feels better hunting than trapping. I personally prefer traditional bowhunting with one of my hand made longbows, but when it comes to feeding my family, modern trapping (and even primitive trapping) is a must as far as survival knowledge goes...

Awoke
13th April 2010, 06:36 AM
I couldn't agree more, RJB. I am not familiar with the term "Conibear" traps, but I intend to set up some squirrel sticks with snare loops on them, etc. The rifle is last resort.

This will be my first time going in with meager amounts of food, with the intention to live off the land. As I do this more and more, and get better and better, there will come a time when I go in with nothing more that a knife.

Until then, I am in the skills-building process.