PDA

View Full Version : The Best Single Malt Scotch

madfranks
6th April 2010, 06:44 PM
I figure the "cooking" subforum is a good place to start this one. Near the end of GIM someone started a thread looking for recommendations of a good single malt scotch. Out of the discussion I was convinced to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year scotch, which I am happy to say I've been enjoying off and on since then. I don't remember what the other good types of scotch are, so what does everyone else think?

By the way, if you like a strong, potent scotch, you better try Laphroaig! The aroma made my wife choke from across the room! ;D

akahagar
6th April 2010, 08:37 PM
Although this is not the best single malt scotch, I do enjoy Glenlevit 15 year French Oak Reserve. It's much better than regular Glenlevit.

I'll have to give Laphroaig 10 year a taste. Appreciate the tip.

I'm not a huge bourbon fan, but I really like Elijah Craig 18 year single barrel old Bourbon. My sister bought me a bottle for my b-day one year and it was incredibly good. Kind of pricey though.

bootstrap
6th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Macallan 12 is one of my all time favorites. This single malt comes from the Speyside region. Macallan 12 is quite a bit lighter than Laphroaig.

skid
6th April 2010, 10:28 PM
Glenmorangie 18 year.

saint
6th April 2010, 10:37 PM
Lagavulin 16 yo is tasty.

ArgenteumTelum
9th April 2010, 12:06 PM
Highland Park is always in my cabinet along with Oban. Given so many varieties due to local conditions and preferences, I cannot rate any single malt as "The Best". Each brings a unique quality to the experience. However, when it comes to scotch, the singles are the only types for me.

DMac
9th April 2010, 12:15 PM
Although this is not the best single malt scotch, I do enjoy Glenlevit 15 year French Oak Reserve. It's much better than regular Glenlevit.

For a < $50 bottle you can't get any better than the Glenlivet 15 year old.

skid
9th April 2010, 10:57 PM
Highland Park is always in my cabinet along with Oban. Given so many varieties due to local conditions and preferences, I cannot rate any single malt as "The Best". Each brings a unique quality to the experience. However, when it comes to scotch, the singles are the only types for me.

I agree,

I have seven or 8 bottles of single malt in the liquor cabinet now. All very good! Surprisingly, not very many people like to drink scotch, and I don't like to drink alone...

Grog
9th April 2010, 11:04 PM
Not a Scotch guy but.... I like Glenrothes.

Awesome and smooth. Even for a non-Scotch connoisseur.

CrufflerJJ
10th April 2010, 02:05 PM
I figure the "cooking" subforum is a good place to start this one. Near the end of GIM someone started a thread looking for recommendations of a good single malt scotch. Out of the discussion I was convinced to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year scotch, which I am happy to say I've been enjoying off and on since then. I don't remember what the other good types of scotch are, so what does everyone else think?

By the way, if you like a strong, potent scotch, you better try Laphroaig! The aroma made my wife choke from across the room! ;D

WARNING for newbie Scotch drinkers - Laphroig may not be the best starting choice for you. Lots of iodine/peat/smoke flavor/aroma (as with Lagavulin/Talisker & other yummy Islay single malts).

A standard Highland Scotch might be a good start. I still like Macallan (great sherry flavor) and Glenfarclas. My wife's favorite is Dalwhinnie (we visited their distillery during our honeymoon just a few (!) years ago).

Gaillo
17th April 2010, 11:48 AM

WARNING for newbie Scotch drinkers - Laphroig may not be the best starting choice for you. Lots of iodine/peat/smoke flavor/aroma (as with Lagavulin/Talisker & other yummy Islay single malts).

A standard Highland Scotch might be a good start. I still like Macallan (great sherry flavor) and Glenfarclas. My wife's favorite is Dalwhinnie (we visited their distillery during our honeymoon just a few (!) years ago).

Excellent advice! Laphroaig, Talisker, and Lagavulin are NOT for novices! ;D

Better for most people unaccustomed to strong islay malts to start with something highland or lowland...

CrufflerJJ
17th April 2010, 05:50 PM

Better for most people unaccustomed to strong islay malts to start with something highland or lowland...

Or you could always cheat & just go with Jameson Irish whiskey or Martell Cordon Bleu cognac.

Gaillo
18th April 2010, 12:56 AM

Or you could always cheat & just go with Jameson Irish whiskey or Martell Cordon Bleu cognac.

Nothing "cheating" about either of those... Martell is quite tasty, and Jameson is my FAVORITE whiskey for all-around drinking! 8)

Scotch is an "acquired taste" - most people don't like it when they first try it, but it's also a UNIQUE taste... each Scotch is more unique than the last! ;D

CrufflerJJ
19th April 2010, 05:40 PM
Scotch is an "acquired taste" - most people don't like it when they first try it, but it's also a UNIQUE taste... each Scotch is more unique than the last! ;D

Yup! My wife doesn't like the "peaty" Scotch, but I thoroughly enjoy the difference in products from distillery to distillery. Of course, it may help that we visited a bunch of them on our honeymoon a "few" years ago.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
23rd April 2010, 01:23 PM
The GlenLivet 15 or 21 year is my favorite. 12 year is lightyears beyond anything else that has a similar cost. For the money, you can't beat The GlenLivet.

silverblood
23rd April 2010, 01:57 PM
The Islay malts in general, but Laphroaig Quarter Cask (not the Cask Strength, which is altogether different) is my favorite. But I'm an equal opportunity whisky drinker. There are few single malts that I actively dislike.

Lagavulin 16 year old is another old favorite.

If I'm introducing someone to Scotch whisky who has never had it before, I'll avoid all of the Islay malts, as they are an extra acquired taste in a class of whisky that is itself considered to be an acquired taste. (But isn't everything but your mother's milk really an acquired taste?)

If the person has had little experience drinking whisky or whiskey neat or on the rocks without adjutants and mixers, then I'll keep it simple for them. The Glenlivet or Glennfiddich are good choices that are a touch sweet, delicate, and with an appealing but light smokiness. For someone with broader experience and an established preference taking his spirits neat, I'll go with Highland Park or Abelour or the Balvinie or perhaps even one of the Macallans.

K_Flynn
23rd April 2010, 02:13 PM
I'm more of a bourbon guy, but my favorite scotch is Glenlivet 12yr... I won't spend the money for anything more expensive, but I doubt they are much better than that.

CrufflerJJ
26th April 2010, 09:28 AM
I'm more of a bourbon guy, but my favorite scotch is Glenlivet 12yr... I won't spend the money for anything more expensive, but I doubt they are much better than that.

I've gradually started drinking more bourbon whiskey. My favorite so far is Labrot & Graham Woodford Reserve. The distillery offers a great tour, and they make a great product.

chud
2nd May 2010, 01:53 PM
If the person has had little experience drinking whisky or whiskey neat or on the rocks without adjutants and mixers, then I'll keep it simple for them. The Glenlivet or Glennfiddich are good choices that are a touch sweet, delicate, and with an appealing but light smokiness.

Thanks. I'm a newbie to scotch, so any tips like this for easy drinking and affordable scotches are appreciated.

osoab
22nd December 2011, 08:00 PM
bump.

I have many more scotches to try.

keehah
23rd December 2011, 01:12 AM
I'm here to say Jameson Irish Whiskey as well.
A dam fine straight drinking single malt at a price not much more than the blends.
Its what you serve after you have shared a shot or two of your finest stuff.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
23rd December 2011, 07:01 AM
Me and a buddy of mine started a whiskey club where once a month we invite over whiskey drinkers and everyone brings a bottle and we sample all night. It's always a good time.

Anyway, my one friend brought over a single malt bottle of Suntory Yamazaki which is a Japan whiskey. I never realized whiskey was so big in Japan.

It was so fucking smooth. It's not a true scotch since scotch has to meet certain standards such as being distilled in Scotland but you'd never know that tasting it. It was like...like velvet.

DMac
27th December 2011, 07:32 AM
Macallan 12 is one of my all time favorites. This single malt comes from the Speyside region. Macallan 12 is quite a bit lighter than Laphroaig.

Bump for the Macallan 12 year. Relatively inexpensive for the quality of the scotch. Next to my Glenlivet 15 year I go to Macallan 12.

I've never tried the Glenlivet 21 year TNE, that must be an outstanding whiskey. I've had and thoroughly enjoyed the 18 year old.