PDA

View Full Version : What is in/gonna be in your garden?

Plastic
6th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Not ready to plant yet but I have waiting....

20 lbs of russet seed potato, love thicker skinned spuds.
Roughly 300 onions in sets, half white and half yellow.
Heirloom seeds saved from last years garden include.
watermellon
Zuccinni(sp)
Butternut squash
Brandywine tomato
Canteloupe
Cucumber

May plant radishes and turnips, dunno yet but probably.

Just picked up a couple Rhubard starters too..

Are the rest of you itching to get growing foodstuffs as much as I am?

skid
6th April 2010, 09:23 PM
I probably have 100 different types of seeds to plant. What I am most excited about is the Atlantic Giant Pumpkin seeds from Howard Dill. I'm going big this year, and am shooting for the fall fair pumpkin record in my town. Grand prize is an incredible $10 bucks, and all the fame and glory that comes with it!

Growing record pumpkins is top secret stuff, so don't ask me for any tips:) (I got all mine off the internet)...

cigarlover
6th April 2010, 09:58 PM
blueberries and strawberries on the way. A bunch of stuff from seedsavers. Havent made an exact plan yet but thats what I should be doing now instead of posting LOL.

Heimdhal
6th April 2010, 10:58 PM
Most of my small raised bed is taken up by culinary herbs (about a third of the bed anyways).

As far as everything else, Ive got my first run of raddishes about to come up, Ive got some carrots going, but they probably wont make it through the heat. Lettuce and cabbage, which is gonna come out soon (they dont like heat either). A few Red Beauty Bell peppers, some Sweet banana peppers, and 4 tom plants. (2 romas for sauce later. Homestead and Atkinson for big, juicy ones). And English Peas that are almost done with their run.

Herbs wise, I have: Rosemary, Cilantro, Parsley, Oregano, Garlic Chives, Lavender, Dill, Stevia and quite a bit of Basil.

The Chives and Rosemary are in full bloom, which is great because the flowers taste fantastic and really make a salad or dish look "pretty".

Heimdhal
6th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Oh yeah. For anyone thats done it, I am using the "square foot gardening" method to maximize my little plot. How close can I really get with tomatoes and peppers? I know the packages, etc usualy say space 18 inches. Ive got two that are about 12 inches spaced and dont seem to mind it one bit. Is this going to be a problem later? Can I get my peppers this close?

This is my first run at this. I went from a crap load of pots to a raised bed.

dlm1968
7th April 2010, 05:33 AM
In the garden right now and doing famously is 5 different kinds of beans, sweet peppers, squash of many varieties, zucchini, cilantro, potatoes, onions (bulbing and green), radishes, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, chard, stawberries, blueberries, and many different varieties of flowers scattered throughout just because I think they make the vegetable garden more attractive and attract the good guys.

Korbin Dallas
7th April 2010, 08:05 AM
i just picked sugar snap peas, and man were they good. I have 4 tomato and six pepper plants in the ground, although one of the pepper plants was eaten--sheared off to the ground last night. I'm not sure what did it, doubt it was cutworms beacause the plant was six inches tall, and well established. I get possums, squirrels, rats, rabbits and raccoons in the yard, but this is the first time I've seen this happen to a pepper plant.

Anyway, beans and corn are up and running, carrots, kale, bok choi and broccoli doing well, and just started the celery harvest.

I planted summer and winter squash in march, and last week put watermelon and cantaloupe seeds in.

Celtic Rogue
8th April 2010, 01:48 PM
We will have
peppers hot and mild
tomatoes
potatoes
zuchinni
lettuce
carrots
parsely
cilantro
cabbage
asperagas
strawberries
blueberries
and something called a ground cherry... but it has a pineapple flavor.

osprey
8th April 2010, 05:30 PM
Ours will be:
Tomatos
Peppers, bell, grilling, and hot
zucchini
yellow squash
green beans
wax beans
lima beans
sugar snap peas
carrots
mesclun
lettuce
blue berries
peaches

A couple neighbors with more space are planting the corn and potatos.

Here's hoping for a great harvest this year for us and everyone here too!

Sock Puppy
8th April 2010, 06:34 PM
So far we have planted & on the way:

Asparagus,
Radishes,
Arugula,
Cherries in 4 varieties--Pie, Rainier, Lapin, & White,
Blueberries,
Raspberries, Yellow, Black, and Red,
Gooseberries,
Peach-Plums,
Italian prune-plums,
Evergreen Huckleberries,
Figs,
Blackberries,
Snap Peas,
Chives.

Yet to plant are crookneck squash, zuccini, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, potatoes, peppers, etc.

We live in Seattle, so we can't do the watermelon, or pretty much any of the melons.

--SP

Heimdhal
9th April 2010, 11:43 AM
All me lettuce bolted this week :'(. I knew it was going to though. I pulled it up today and will give it to the neighbor to feed their kids rabbit, the rest I'll compost. Its good cause now I've got some space cleared up for Okra! Well, once I get the cabbage out of the ground too.

Need to find something to use the leaves for, since no head has formed on it yet and its getting too late in the season. We used the lower leaves for cabbage chicken wraps one night, came out pretty good. Maybe I'll make some kraut.