PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY started P90X - Holy crap

General of Darkness
7th April 2010, 09:29 AM
I have a bad feeling that the future is going to be bumpy road, and being mentally prepared is not going to be enough. So I had purchased P90X about 6 months and this morning finally got motivated enough to start. What a great work out. I use to be in excellent shape but about 3 years ago I had an accident at the Willow Springs racetrack on my motorcycle.

Remember Rule #1 of Zombieland.

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/zombieland_rule1_cardio.jpg

saint
7th April 2010, 09:32 AM
Please Tell me more - I've been thinking about using it as the GF will has forbidden the clear.

General of Darkness
7th April 2010, 09:38 AM
Please Tell me more - I've been thinking about using it as the GF will has forbidden the clear.

It's very much a cross training / boot camp type of workout. Each day is different, working different body parts. You'll need some weights, a chair, a pull-up bar and elastic straps, probably about $100 bucks. What's nice about this it's cheaper than a gym, and since I use to work out a TON, I can tell that it works. Also, I don't know how old you are but cross training is generally less stressful on the joints than doing heavy weights etc. Hope that helps.

Book
7th April 2010, 09:43 AM
Maybe someone can move this to the new Health & Fitness section. The cover of that chubby breathless guy trying to outrun the zombies is hilarious GofD...lol.

:D

saint
7th April 2010, 09:45 AM
Old enough that max efforts take two days of recovery - lol.
Early 40s - but luckily I have kept what I have earned.
It is just starting to get harder.

Been screwing around with cross training (hate indoor cardio).
I have even been doing yoga (young GF talked me into it).
I'm ready for a summer change and this will work at the the beach shack - no room for a full set up there.

Can you send a link? - thanks.

saint
7th April 2010, 09:46 AM
Maybe someone can move this to the new Health & Fitness section. The cover of that chubby breathless guy trying to outrun the zombies is hilarious GofD...lol.

X2.

Why run - more fun to shoot em'. lol.

ST

General of Darkness
7th April 2010, 09:48 AM
Old enough that max efforts take two days of recovery - lol.
Early 40s - but luckily I have kept what I have earned.
It is just starting to get harder.

Been screwing around with cross training (hate indoor cardio).
I have even been doing yoga (young GF talked me into it).
I'm ready for a summer change and this will work at the the beach shack - no room for a full set up there.

Can you send a link? - thanks.

Here's their website http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do

Book, I was sharing my experience and if it motivates just one person to start getting into shape it's worth it. I forgot about the Health section but I say move it after 24 hours.

Ponce
7th April 2010, 09:54 AM
There he goes........acting like a wanna be MOD, oh well......that's life.

When his dream comes true I am taking off.

General of Darkness
7th April 2010, 09:58 AM

WTH did I do? ???

madfranks
7th April 2010, 09:59 AM
I tried P90X but gave up after two weeks. Some of those workouts are more than an hour long and I just didn't have the energy/time for hour long workouts 6 days a week. I know I'll pick it back up and try again later. I have friends who did it and it was their recommendation that prompted me to pick it up.

I forgot about the Health section but I say move it after 24 hours.

Sounds good.

Book
7th April 2010, 10:00 AM

http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?topic=509.0

Bring it grandpa. You need another lesson?...lol.

saint
7th April 2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks GoD.

Dave Thomas
7th April 2010, 10:05 AM
Everyone's doing it. So I guess I'll try it too. I've got about another 50 lbs to lose before I start really "exercising" though. Right now I'm just losing weight with diet/walking/cycling.

Too high of impact on a fattys system like mine will start breaking joints and stuff.

k-os
7th April 2010, 10:05 AM
General, I think you are right that preparing for the future, whatever may come, should involve being in shape for it. Whether that's playing with your nieces/nephews/grandkids, or running from zombies, who knows?

I'd like to hear updates on how it's going with you. I am hoping for a little motivation myself. :-)

Book
7th April 2010, 10:11 AM
General, I think you are right that preparing for the future, whatever may come, should involve being in shape for it.

Yeah...this is a great thread by GofD. Some of us can't carry our own survival bugout bag...lol.

k-os
7th April 2010, 10:15 AM
The best advertisement for it . . . that's not an advertisement at all (i don't think):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGmasRmnUc

Answer2me
7th April 2010, 10:17 AM
i bet that guy in the video is fat again.

Ash_Williams
7th April 2010, 10:21 AM
Where do you get these elastic bands?
I could use some good ones for my own workout but have never seen them for sale anywhere.
I just want them for dumbell flyes without the dumbells.

General of Darkness
7th April 2010, 10:25 AM
Where do you get these elastic bands?
I could use some good ones for my own workout but have never seen them for sale anywhere.
I just want them for dumbell flyes without the dumbells.

http://www.amazon.com/Flexcords-Resistance-Exercise-Fitness-Equipment/dp/B002LV3ULW

saint
7th April 2010, 10:29 AM
Most brick and mortar sporting goods stores have em. Everywhere online.
Dave Tate's site - really dig what he has accomplished.
http://www.elitefts.com

Just make sure you pick the ones that you want - they are color coded by resistance.

I prefer to use heavy chain in my home set up. The resistance increases as you push\pull the bar and the chain comes off the floor - neat trick for working on new max lifts.

Ares
7th April 2010, 10:30 AM
I've completed P90X once. You get ripped if you follow the diet plan and work out. Work has been demanding as of the last 6 months so I'm all soft again. So have to start again and get back into it.

Dave Thomas
7th April 2010, 10:35 AM
I think the best place in the universe to buy ANY exercise equipment is on Craigslist.

Buying stuff like dumbells and the like in a store just makes me feel like a sucker for some reason. So I leave that to other people's lack of willpower and look to Craigslist. Amazing deals really.

LOL, A bowflex for instance loses about 200% of it's resale value once you buy the thing.

General of Darkness
7th April 2010, 10:40 AM
General, I think you are right that preparing for the future, whatever may come, should involve being in shape for it. Whether that's playing with your nieces/nephews/grandkids, or running from zombies, who knows?

I'd like to hear updates on how it's going with you. I am hoping for a little motivation myself. :-)

Your advances are so obvious, and I'm flattered. ;D

Ash_Williams
7th April 2010, 11:12 AM
I prefer to use heavy chain in my home set up. The resistance increases as you push\pull the bar and the chain comes off the floor - neat trick for working on new max lifts.

Yeah that makes sense. Some weightlifting is very unnatural since the first part of the motion is the most difficult. This is actually why I wanted the elastics for the flyes; right now the hardest part of a dumbell flye is when my arms are spread to each side and the easiest part is when they come together... I want to reverse that, I think it will work the inside of my chest better and take some strain off my bad shoulder.

Anyway I'll check at a fitness store. I just though they might have these things at a hardware store or something. Fitness store jack the price up and I hate ordering online.

saint
7th April 2010, 11:28 AM

Yeah that makes sense. Some weightlifting is very unnatural since the first part of the motion is the most difficult. This is actually why I wanted the elastics for the flyes; right now the hardest part of a dumbell flye is when my arms are spread to each side and the easiest part is when they come together... I want to reverse that, I think it will work the inside of my chest better and take some strain off my bad shoulder.

Anyway I'll check at a fitness store. I just though they might have these things at a hardware store or something. Fitness store jack the price up and I hate ordering online.

I feel your pain brother.

saint
7th April 2010, 11:29 AM

Your advances are so obvious, and I'm flattered. ;D

Dude!

Why do you always get all the hot women? >:(

TheNocturnalEgyptian
7th April 2010, 11:36 AM
P90X is a great workout! I've done it a few times and it really blasts your core. It's kind of a modern version of yoga, which I am more into. I do yoga regularly and I felt like much of it was transferable to P90X, but the P90X was a faster pace.

Seriously, exercising your core is very easy and way more important than any of the limbs.

saint
7th April 2010, 11:48 AM
Cept that there are no hot mommies to talk to after class.

Aww, Who am I kidding? - all the hot Momies got a laugh out of watching the meathead attempt
some of the tougher poses. They all giggled like hell every time the instructor had to repose me.
Humbling.

ST

TheNocturnalEgyptian
7th April 2010, 12:04 PM
Yoga instructors repose me all the time. I got in shape at home first with some yoga videos, so most of the time I have more strength and balance than the other newbies.

To be honest I don't think anybody has ever laughed at me. I just always act like 1) I'm not tired, no matter what and 2) I'm trying to get the most out of my stretch. I think that's all it takes to get people's respect....

P.S. Yoga has hotties too. Wear comfortable clothes!

saint
7th April 2010, 12:08 PM
The giggling mommies were in the yoga class.
I had met the instructor socially and I think she invited me into the class for a bit of fun.
At my expense. ;D

It was a great experience overall and i still attend a few times a month.
It was very humbling.

Twisted Titan
12th April 2010, 10:32 AM
I have heard good things about PX90 but the one thing I was was told emphatically;

DO NOT BUY FROM THE WEBSITE

The always try to "up sell" you on some crap plus you just became a part of their mailing list which they will dole out to the highest bidder.

If you want it go and buy it from Amazon or some other retailer.

Just dont get it directly from BB.

T

Workaholic
13th April 2010, 06:22 PM
I called and ordered during the infomercial. I'm glad I did.

Now I'm a lean mean gsus machine.

I didn't buy any of the extras.

Good carma for me.

k-os
21st April 2010, 01:50 PM
I think being fit should be at the top of any SHTFers list of things to accomplish.

Inspired by GoD, I started the female version of P90X - Chalean Extreme.

It was a good workout. I hope I keep it up.

How's your dedication, General?

willie pete
21st April 2010, 06:33 PM
I think being fit should be at the top of any SHTFers list of things to accomplish.

Inspired by GoD, I started the female version of P90X - Chalean Extreme.

It was a good workout. I hope I keep it up.

How's your dedication, General?

C'mon k-os, you know da rules, Pics or it didn't happen... :D

k-os
22nd April 2010, 04:21 AM
I don't even want to take the "before" pictures. But maybe . . . maybe if I complete it, I'll put up the "after" pictures.

jedemdasseine
23rd April 2010, 07:09 AM
But maybe . . . maybe if I complete it, I'll put up the "after" pictures.

:)

Kali
28th April 2010, 10:06 PM
Try Crossfit.

A gym membership is usually pricey, in the $89-$150 month range, but there's nothing else like it.

The workouts are very tough and challenging and you're working out with others doing the same workout.

The community created by everyone doing these workouts together is amazing. Lots of support if you are the type that can't stay motivated long.

You can do it from home if you set up a gym as well...but will never be the same as working out with the group.

zusn
4th May 2010, 02:02 PM
I can vouch for P90X. It's no joke. 6 days a week is intense and so are the workouts. It's really hard to get motivated to do another hour long workout when your body is just sore as hell from the day before.

After using it for a while and deciding that I would stick with it, I coughed up the FRNs for the Bowflex dumbells. The place I ordered them from had a special where the stand was included for free. It makes the workouts much more intense since I can quickly set the best weight and do the next exercise. The diet is a huge part of it too.

It'd be cool to have a GSUS P90X group. It'd be a good place to help each other out with different stuff and also stay motivated.

And Twisted Titan is right, do NOT buy from the website. Use Amazon or somewhere else.

Heimdhal
4th May 2010, 03:09 PM
Fuck Cardio. You dont need to be fast when the zombies come, you only need to be faster than some one else!

Also, lets not forget rule number two: Double Taps!

Sorry, I have nothing meaningfull to add to this thread.

Good Job GoD and everyone else, on getting in shape and ready for SHTF. It is a BIIIG factor, one I am sorley, sorley lacking in atm.

SQUEXX
22nd May 2010, 02:04 PM
Good Job GoD and everyone else, on getting in shape and ready for SHTF. It is a BIIIG factor, one I am sorley, sorley lacking in atm.

If one were to google P90X torrent, one could perhaps, download the whole shebang for free, or other places. Just sayin.................

http://www.demonoid.com/files/?query=p90x

The Great Ag
27th May 2010, 05:02 AM
I have been doing P90X off and on for a year now. I do NOT do it 6 days a week. I simply do NOT have the time every day for 1 hour. So I do it 3 times a week working on arms, chest, back and legs. My Wife totally appreciates the results. My goal was never to get buff, but to get in better shape physically. For the last 11 years, I have had a desk job. Prior to that all other jobs were physical and kept me in shape. NOw I have to do it myself.

P90X definitely works. I use free weights and not the bands.

This program will work for ANY age and either sex.

The key to P90X is to be CONSTANT with it AND to watch what you eat. I drink alcohol much less and consume less sugar. If I take a break, which I have done twice, my old eating habits return. Not good.

The Great Ag