PDA

View Full Version : Fire wood

mick silver
7th April 2010, 12:09 PM
well as of today i am done . i just put up 10 cords of firewood . i have enough for almost two years now store . is there anyone else working on there wood for this coming winter ... and it all oak ...

Ponce
7th April 2010, 12:48 PM
Three cords of wood in the X chicken coop for the last seven years, use only heating oil........1/2 gallon per day all year round, plus my sun heat box which is going on right now.

INDIGO
7th April 2010, 12:57 PM
have you tried bio-bricks? We got a couple of pallets last winter and they burn great with very little creosote buildup. Best part is they are a waste product from the hardwood floor companies. Ours come from Quebec.

Nice to have a stash of them and regular firewood too. My dad came to visit from out west and was jealous of the fact that all our firewood is oak. ;D

osprey
7th April 2010, 03:12 PM
Never heard of bio-bricks. Something else to put on the research list.

Celtic Rogue
8th April 2010, 10:24 AM
I have a freind that just put in a woodburning furnace in his new home. He says it is really efficient and only has to fill it up before he goes to bed and forget about it till the next nite. He also built a nice 3-4 cord woodshed right out side his basement door. I wish I could do something like that... but I dont want to do anything to the house I live in now... Hoping to move to the country soon.

Ponce
8th April 2010, 01:45 PM
My "free" firewood will come from the guy that built my log cabin, we bcame frinds and hang aroud.

In what is to come friends like him will come very handy.......as is the guy from the only service station in town.........I know that I will be able to get gas from his private stach.

SeekYeFirst
8th April 2010, 11:11 PM
Two-years worth, nice. I have been cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking for a month. That's about twenty-five hours worth. Need to split and stack two more rows for next year. I burn about 14 rows--maybe six cords. Saved over two thousand frn this winter vs my alternative heat source. My neighbor has 150 acres and lets me cut off his prop if I share. I'll give him around two cords split and delivered. I really enjoy getting the wood and seeing the wildlife wake up for the summer while I am out there. It sure beats a gym membership.

skid
9th April 2010, 10:37 PM
I burn about 5 cords/year. My current (falling apart) woodshed holds 8. I have 3 cords left.

I am in the process of building a new woodshed that should hold 16 cords of wood, for about 3 years supply, or maybe less since I am getting a wood heated hot tub:).

I have probably 2-3 logging trucks of felled/delimbed trees that have been drying for a year or two. Once the new shed is built I will buck/split and stack it full for next year.

As a side note, I do all my splitting with a Fiskars splitting axe. I can work faster and easier than with a hydraulic log splitter with less wear and tear on the back.

The Fiskars axe has a hollow composite handle, and a somewhat light teflon impregnated head. I split wood lying on the ground. I can split wood lying sideways or upright, with no lifting of heavy rounds.

The trick is to have high axe head speed which is easy with the light weight axe. The teflon helps it slide through the wood. A lot of it is strenght, and a lot is technique. I usually split a cord a day, as that is plenty of exercise for me, and gives me a bit of a break.

Grog
9th April 2010, 10:50 PM
my property is 'heavily wooded'. Not an issue here. I have a huge stack of firewood that I didn't touch last year.

It grew.

Actually, the shade from the trees is a problem for food growth for me. Heavy shade.

I need to do some more clearing..... Need more LOS :)