PDA

View Full Version : pollen allergies

sunshine05
7th April 2010, 05:40 PM
My 8 year old son has severe grass and tree allergies. He is really struggling right now. Constant sneezing, runny nose, very itchy red eyes. It is awful. His skin even feels itchy and he is scratching himself until he bleeds on his neck, back and arms. He takes zyrtec or benadryl or claritin. Nothing really seems to help much. I told his teacher to keep him inside for recess for now but he is very upset about that. Anything else I can do? Do any of you take allergy shots? Do they seem to help? I think we will need to start them but I'm hesitant because we don't vaccinate. I'm not sure what types of preservatives are in them.

k-os
7th April 2010, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your little guy sunshine05. I have friends who have severe allergies like you describe, they both get weekly shots. One of them is a real hippie chick, and for a few years, she had found some real relief by ingesting local honey regularly. I don't know the science of it, but you can look it into it.

Best of luck!

goldleaf
8th April 2010, 09:09 AM
The local honey thing works. When I was a kid my mom got local honeycomb
for me to chew on and it cured my hayfever.I have recently been affected by
springtime alergies which was never a problem in my younger years.Time for
the honey trick again, I guess. Alot of the storebought honey comes from Argentina.

sunshine05
8th April 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm going to have to see if I can find some. Thanks for the replies:).

Twisted Titan
12th April 2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your little guy sunshine05. I have friends who have severe allergies like you describe, they both get weekly shots. One of them is a real hippie chick, and for a few years, she had found some real relief by ingesting local honey regularly. I don't know the science of it, but you can look it into it.

Best of luck!

Local honey work because you are ingesting the honey and pollen of all the local flowers in your area so you build a natural immunity to it.

Kids will love because it is sweet.

You will because its all natural.

T

Shoden
16th April 2010, 09:18 AM
I've got pretty bad pollen allergies too, and I tried using Benadryl for years, but it always made me drowsy and didn't work all that great. I switched to Claritin and saw no improvement in my symptoms, but at least I wasn't drowsy all the time. A couple of years ago, I switched to taking Zyrtec every night, and it's made a huge improvement, really controlling my allergies and no drowsiness.

Last year I read about the benefits of local raw honey (maybe on GIM? I don't recall), and this year I added that to my routine. This spring, my allergies are hardly noticeable, having improved considerably over just taking Zyrtec.

One issue with buying "local" honey that I've read about is that the honey may actually be imported and just bottled locally. You want to make sure you're actually getting locally produced honey.

sunshine05
16th April 2010, 10:22 AM
I've got pretty bad pollen allergies too, and I tried using Benadryl for years, but it always made me drowsy and didn't work all that great. I switched to Claritin and saw no improvement in my symptoms, but at least I wasn't drowsy all the time. A couple of years ago, I switched to taking Zyrtec every night, and it's made a huge improvement, really controlling my allergies and no drowsiness.

Last year I read about the benefits of local raw honey (maybe on GIM? I don't recall), and this year I added that to my routine. This spring, my allergies are hardly noticeable, having improved considerably over just taking Zyrtec.

One issue with buying "local" honey that I've read about is that the honey may actually be imported and just bottled locally. You want to make sure you're actually getting locally produced honey.

Thank you Shoden. I'm glad to hear you got such good results with the honey. I'm going to have to go to the Farmers Market and see if I can find some. None of the OTC meds are really helping him.

MNeagle
16th April 2010, 10:35 AM

Thank you Shoden. I'm glad to hear you got such good results with the honey. I'm going to have to go to the Farmers Market and see if I can find some. None of the OTC meds are really helping him.

Yes, the Farment's Market should be your best bet.

Pat Pat
16th April 2010, 04:12 PM
my allergies have improved dramatically since I started taking fresh ground flax seed.

Shami-Amourae
17th April 2010, 10:36 PM
I have the same problems myself. The best defense I find is having a HEPA air purifier and taking a large amount of Vitamin D.

Keep the air purifier on 24-7 to keep your home a safe zone for allergies. If you have carpeting in your home either get rid of it, or get it professionally cleaned as often as possible.

Another thing to do is have an allergy prick test on your skin of foods that commonly cause allergies. I did this and found out I had a major gluten allergy, stopped eating gluten, and everyday since I've felt healthier than ever.

Basically there's a lot of little things you can do, but in combination it's all very effective to be able to live a normal life.

Kali
17th April 2010, 11:41 PM
I've tried the local honey and bee pollen before...it didnt do a thing.

The last couple years have not been bad because of the rain helping to clear the air.

Some years are worst than others and I think some people attribute the better years to whatever they are taking....like local honey.

You really need to use it for a few different allergy seasons to come up with a conclusion on it.

The only thing that works for me is chlor trimeton allergy pills...make me drowsy the first 2 weeks then body gets used to them but have to bump up the dosage.

I hope one day to find an alternative cure that works.

sunshine05
19th May 2010, 10:00 AM
Update: I found some local honey and started giving him a tsp a day and immediately his symptoms subsided. We went away for a week and I forgot to bring it and he really suffered with the sneezing, runny nose, etc. even with benadryl. When we got back I started him back on the honey and he got better right away. I can't really explain this since everything I have read indicates that it must build up in his system in the months prior to allergy season but maybe it is boosting his immune system. I don't know but it's been a huge relief. So thanks for recommending it:).

k-os
19th May 2010, 10:42 AM
That is fantastic! I am so happy to hear that nature (once again) provides . . . just amazing!

Kali
19th May 2010, 11:17 AM
I found someone down the road from me that sells honey from their be hives right there in their backyard.

Going to give local honey a try again.

I talked with a local chiropractor the other day who swears by this stuff.

sunshine05
19th May 2010, 11:39 AM
I found someone down the road from me that sells honey from their be hives right there in their backyard.

Going to give local honey a try again.

I talked with a local chiropractor the other day who swears by this stuff.

Yes, give it another try! It really is amazing how quickly it works. At first I thought it was just coincidence that he stopped sneezing but after stopping and trying it again now I know for sure it works. And it feels good to give him something natural.

sunshine05
19th May 2010, 11:41 AM
That is fantastic! I am so happy to hear that nature (once again) provides . . . just amazing!

Thanks, k-os. I'm so glad you recommended it:).