PDA

View Full Version : the time will soon be coming

dumpster
7th April 2010, 06:19 PM
when gold will be bid up by the goverments , hedge funds , as we hit 1600 watch the action,
silver the poor mans gold will then get its bid,

when you got the dough . go,, avoid the empty seat in the musical chairs

ximmy
7th April 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm really hoping for a dip to 17 and sub 1100 before they take off... for to buy more... or I'l just stick with what I have.. :)

1970 Silver Art
12th April 2010, 07:44 PM
Whenever I have extra FRNs left over from paying my bills, then I am always going to buy a little bit of the DOG (a.k.a. silver). IMO the DOG is going to ride on the coattails of the Yellow Metal Barbarian before the DOG is going to out run the Yellow Metal barbarian. We will see what happens in the near future. I still think that that DOG will have more upside potential than the Yellow Metal Barbarian but that is just my opinion.

peachesinfla
13th April 2010, 03:51 PM
Please don't flame me I'm sensitive. :sicko I don't know why anyone would pull a number like 1600 Gold as the number that would finally ignite Silver. Do yourself a favor and read the archived articles at Vronsky's Gold Forum by all the so called experts on Gold and Silver. 1000 Gold was supposed to get us at least 35 Silver. Don't blow smoke up your own a$$. The Hunt corner was a one off. If anything harder economic times will bring a GS ratio of closer to 100-1 than 30-1.

Saul Mine
13th April 2010, 06:50 PM
Please don't flame me I'm sensitive. :sicko I don't know why anyone would pull a number like 1600 Gold as the number that would finally ignite Silver. Do yourself a favor and read the archived articles at Vronsky's Gold Forum by all the so called experts on Gold and Silver. 1000 Gold was supposed to get us at least 35 Silver. Don't blow smoke up your own a$$. The Hunt corner was a one off. If anything harder economic times will bring a GS ratio of closer to 100-1 than 30-1.

The gold/silver ratio has in fact seen both numbers in recent years. People who talk about one metal "igniting" the other, or "outperforming" the other are still thinking like stock suckers. Those words just don't apply in the precious metals business. The GSR has been 45 to 100 for the last 120 years and nobody knows any good reason why it should be one number or the other. (Here's an essay examining that topic. (http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/watson080206.html))

The stock sucker is a nice fellow who buys things because his friends buy them. If the price gains he gets to brag. If the price falls he gets sympathy. He is not investing, he is buying friendship. Buying gold and silver requires a definite attitude. It is such a prominent attitude that we are called bugs, or worse names. Metal bugs don't whine about a drop in price, we just call that going on sale. And we don't care much about a rise in price because we don't intend to sell any time soon. We have the real money, somebody else has the paper, and that's just the way we wanted it.

Defender
14th April 2010, 02:08 AM
100-1? Cool, what a buying opportunity! Then I can get 66% more silver for my fiat than at the current apx. 60-1.

peachesinfla
14th April 2010, 03:34 PM
100-1? Cool, what a buying opportunity! Then I can get 66% more silver for my fiat than at the current apx. 60-1.

It's usually best to stick with the stronger performers. If something is underperforming there is a reason. Of course if you want to believe silver is a better buy because it is undervalued because it is being manipulated be my guest. Hopefully you are a young man otherwise you might not live long enough to profit from the expected assblast higher. I wish you the best of luck.

Defender
15th April 2010, 04:53 PM

It's usually best to stick with the stronger performers. If something is underperforming there is a reason. Of course if you want to believe silver is a better buy because it is undervalued because it is being manipulated be my guest. Hopefully you are a young man otherwise you might not live long enough to profit from the expected assblast higher. I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks for you're concern. I'm sure gold, and of course you gold stackers, will do ok but it's going to be really sad having to listen to all the whining in a few years about how unfair it is that the GSR has been "manipulated" to under 20:1.

BoatingAccident
15th April 2010, 06:14 PM
The stock sucker is a nice fellow who buys things because his friends buy them. If the price gains he gets to brag. If the price falls he gets sympathy. He is not investing, he is buying friendship. Buying gold and silver requires a definite attitude. It is such a prominent attitude that we are called bugs, or worse names. Metal bugs don't whine about a drop in price, we just call that going on sale. And we don't care much about a rise in price because we don't intend to sell any time soon. We have the real money, somebody else has the paper, and that's just the way we wanted it.

Saul, well said! Just wanted to bump, this post. Makes me proud to be a metal bug!

jedemdasseine
16th April 2010, 11:42 PM
From a broader historical perspective that includes the ancient world and the non-western world, the gold-silver ratio has varied more than the modern gold bug typically believes. 16:1, 12:1, in-the-ground ratio, etc. It has become dogma. I posted some historical data about the ratio on GIM last year, and unfortunately, my library is presently on the other side of the world, so I cannot reference it to repost the data. To make a long story short, the ratio has varied from near parity (the outlier) to around 20:1 in many places, upwards to our present ratio (another outlier, it seems, and bullish for silver in theory). In terms of purchasing power, silver is the more volatile metal. The in-the-ground ratio is a less important variable than the modern gold bug typically believes, because mining technology (cyanide, open pit, mercury, etc.), discoveries/depletions (Inca gold, Witwatersrand, etc.), and political will, cultural preferences are always changing. There is nothing fixed or permanent about the ratio, or what it ought to be. However, what's clear is that every culture that has encountered gold and silver–––some haven't, hence cowry shells and other strange forms of wealth–––has valued it not necessarily as money as we think of money today, but as a real store of wealth, prestige, and something of permanent worth.

Horn
16th April 2010, 11:56 PM
I hold Silver because the bankers hold Gold.

And I can't stand to be associated with them. :-*

1970 Silver Art
17th April 2010, 05:01 AM

I hold silver because I am too poor to hold gold. ;D

gunDriller
17th April 2010, 06:05 AM
about the ratio's - historically the ratios were lower (15:1) when gold & silver were used as money.

the time i've been watching the market it's traded in the range from silver $5/ gold $350 (1:70) to silver $20/ gold $1000 (1:50).

interestingly, soon after $20 silver, the market manipulators came out and pushed paper prices down to about $9 in 4 months.

as one of the traders noted, silver is a smaller market & easier to manipulate.

no idea what the ratios will be in the future. but i expect fireworks when the market manipulators' naked short bluff gets called by someone with deep pockets.

as Andrew Maguire noted in one of the first interviews,
http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2010/3/30_Andrew_Maguire_&_Adrian_Douglass_files/Andrew%20Maguire%203%3A30%3A2010.mp3

... all someone would have to do is go long physical and short dollars, in amounts up to $trillions, and they would profit handsomely.

"extremely wealthy Asian investors" vs. JPMorgan, HSBC, and the Rothschild's.

jedemdasseine
17th April 2010, 06:08 AM
about the ratio's - historically the ratios were lower (15:1) when gold & silver were used as money.

the time i've been watching the market it's traded in the range from silver $5/ gold $350 (1:70) to silver $20/ gold $1000 (1:50).

interestingly, soon after $20 silver, the market manipulators came out and pushed paper prices down to about $9 in 4 months.

as one of the traders noted, silver is a smaller market & easier to manipulate.

no idea what the ratios will be in the future. but i expect fireworks when the market manipulators' naked short bluff gets called by someone with deep pockets.

as Andrew Maguire noted in one of the first interviews,
http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2010/3/30_Andrew_Maguire_&_Adrian_Douglass_files/Andrew%20Maguire%203%3A30%3A2010.mp3

... all someone would have to do is go long physical and short dollars, in amounts up to $trillions, and they would profit handsomely.

"extremely wealthy Asian investors" vs. JPMorgan, HSBC, and the Rothschild's.

For anyone who hasn't listened to this Andrew Maguire interview and the other related interviews at King World News, I highly recommend them.

Horn
17th April 2010, 02:11 PM

I hold silver because I am too poor to hold gold. ;D

Your too honest to hold gold...

:wwfg

Saul Mine
17th April 2010, 04:39 PM
When people talk about the "historic" ratio of 16:1 they are talking about 465 years ago. The Potosi Mine opened in 1545 and forced the ratio to 20:1. That ratio held until 120 years ago when the Comstock Mine opened. It took 40 years to get into production, but then the ratio jumped up to 60:1 and has averaged about that ever since, with swings from 45:1 up to 153:1. Since 1890 the ratio has dropped below 40:1 just three times, very briefly.

http://goldinfo.net/silver600.html

gunDriller
17th April 2010, 05:43 PM
when gold will be bid up by the goverments , hedge funds , as we hit 1600 watch the action,
silver the poor mans gold will then get its bid,

when you got the dough . go,, avoid the empty seat in the musical chairs

i notice that silver is much more volatile than gold.

e.g. gold goes down 1%, silver goes down 2%.

gold goes up 2%, silver goes up 4%.

anyway, gold $1600 is about a 50% increase. i would expect a 100% increase from silver, approximately.

so gold $1600, silver $36.

Gknowmx
18th April 2010, 05:25 AM
When people talk about the "historic" ratio of 16:1 they are talking about 465 years ago. The Potosi Mine opened in 1545 and forced the ratio to 20:1. That ratio held until 120 years ago when the Comstock Mine opened. It took 40 years to get into production, but then the ratio jumped up to 60:1 and has averaged about that ever since, with swings from 45:1 up to 153:1. Since 1890 the ratio has dropped below 40:1 just three times, very briefly.

http://goldinfo.net/silver600.html

Saul Mine, thanks for your insights in this thread. I agree that just because one can measure a SGR doesn't mean that it has any predictive value. What is more useful in my view is the ratio of either gold or silver's utility value as a commodity and its respective utility as monetary currency. Given the tremendous increase in the breadth of applications that silver can be used for in our increasingly technology-driven world, it seems altogether possible to me that silver could become far more valuable than gold.

greenbear
19th April 2010, 10:01 PM
^^^ I'm a novice compared to all of you but I have just enough knowledge to believe that will happen.

jedemdasseine
19th April 2010, 10:03 PM
No counterparty risk. It's so simple.

gunDriller
20th April 2010, 09:01 AM
No counterparty risk. It's so simple.

no thanks. i'd rather have my money in the hands of some Talmudic Jewish bankers who think non-Jews are to be treated like cattle :sarc: