PDA

View Full Version : Largest exodus from Iceland since 1887 !!!!!

singular_me
7th April 2010, 07:32 PM
a glimpse at what is going to happen here?

-------------------------------------------
Destitute and desperate, Icelanders opt for exile
by Marc Preel Marc Preel Wed Apr 7, 11:35 am ET

MOSFELLSBAER, Iceland (AFP) – Anna Margret Bjoernsdottir never thought she would be forced to leave her once wealthy homeland, but after 18 months of economic upheaval she has decided to join the biggest emigration wave from Iceland in more than a century.

"I just don't see any future here. There isn't going to be any future in this country for the next 20 years, everything is going backwards," lamented the 46-year-old single mother, who plans to move to Norway in June.

The former real estate agent who lost her job when Iceland's housing market disintegrated two years ago said she feared she could soon be forced out of her large house in Mosfellsbaer, some 15 kilometres (nine miles) from Reykjavik.

"I don't want to sell it," she said, vowing to "fight to keep" the comfortable wooden dwelling she, her daughter Olavia, their cat Isolde Tinna and their dog Candit the Bandit have called home since 2004.

Bjoernsdottir is not alone in planning to leave Iceland's economic mess behind and seek a new future abroad. Most people in Reykjavik have someone in their surroundings who has already packed their bags and left.

Emigration has rapidly picked up speed since the Atlantic island nation's economy crumbled in late 2008, dragged down by the collapse of its major banks. Last year it marked the largest exodus from the country since 1887.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100407/lf_afp/icelandeconomysocialimmigration_20100407153600/print

Fanakapan
7th April 2010, 07:45 PM
The former real estate agent

So basically she had a part in Fecking the place up, and now she's leaving ?

singular_me
7th April 2010, 07:59 PM
I guess she was among the flippers ;D

MarketNeutral
7th April 2010, 08:07 PM
Iceland government better make this a law fast:

Despite these two laws, the U.S. Treasury knows that a determined citizen, driven by the fear of increasing taxes and confiscation, will find ways to keep their privacy and their assets away from the long reach of the U.S. government. In fact, the Hire Act even has a name for these non compliant citizens – recalcitrant tax payers. And this is where I think a third piece of legislation will fill the gap.

It’s my belief, based on the actions already taken by the U.S. government, that an exit tax will be instituted to capture money at the source (your U.S. bank), before it leaves the country. I believe that this exit tax will apply only to certain specified transaction (since senators, congressmen and their wealthy patrons will still need to get their money out of the country). Further, I think this tax rate will be in the 30% range (remember the Heart Act and the withholding requirements of the Hire Act?) and will be withheld by your bank and remitted to the U.S. Treasury at the time you make a transfer to a foreign entity. Like the provisions inserted into the Heart Act and the Hire Act, this exit tax will likely make its way into some well meaning piece of legislation, inconspicuously inserted in the arcane language of the bill and will become the law of the land.
http://primapanama.blogs.com/_panama_residential_devel/2010/04/the-united-states-government-does-not-want-you-to-move-to-panama.html

The U.S. is so ahead of its time.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t5CFZhL40BE/R8BQUUHu1dI/AAAAAAAAAqY/fKVyT5i7YiI/s400/US_Mexican_Border_Wall%2Bconstruction%2B(web).jpg

The wall is not being built to keep Mexicans out.

Rebel Yarr
8th April 2010, 12:58 AM
Yeah - let's not forget - this is the purest bloodline of any country - at least western as far as I recall. So - on the rebound they will pull in lots of foreigners I am guess.

Game-plan? I think so.

Grand Master Melon
8th April 2010, 01:51 AM
These people that are leaving for good are cowards. If they had any balls they'd stay and help fix the problem, instead they run away and leave their homeland to crumble.

All In
8th April 2010, 01:56 AM
Pragmatically speaking, it's a great time to go pick yourself up a spouse. Anybody care to make gross generalizations about Icelandic women?

Grand Master Melon
8th April 2010, 02:03 AM
Pragmatically speaking, it's a great time to go pick yourself up a spouse. Anybody care to make gross generalizations about Icelandic women?

Should we make them based on Bjork? ;D

MarketNeutral
8th April 2010, 02:08 AM
These people that are leaving for good are cowards. If they had any balls they'd stay and help fix the problem, instead they run away and leave their homeland to crumble.

Probably said the same thing about the Founding Fathers as they were hauling buns.

Grand Master Melon
8th April 2010, 02:10 AM

Probably said the same thing about the Founding Fathers as they were hauling buns.

The founders were already here, they fought the enemy here on their soil. They were colonizers not defectors.

MarketNeutral
8th April 2010, 02:12 AM

Should we make them based on Bjork? ;D

I have an open door policy for Icelandic refugees.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8339/asdisran.jpg http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/MoosejawMB/10087136x1036804_zm?$product150$

MarketNeutral
8th April 2010, 02:39 AM

The founders were already here, they fought the enemy here on their soil. They were colonizers not defectors.

My bad, I meant to say the Purtians were hauling buns. I was to busy looking at potential refugees to fix before you responded.

Note: Is there anyway to make the screen not hop up and down when you are responding to quoted text?