PDA

View Full Version : New 5 Oz American Bullion coin - coming later this year

Shortstack
7th April 2010, 07:37 PM
Wow, these are going to be awesome. Hopefully they sell as bullion coins without a large numismatic premium:

http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/2010-america-the-beautiful-silver-bullion-coin-designs-revealed/102203/

2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin Designs Revealed
April 5, 2010 by Silver Coins Today · Leave a Comment

The United States Mint in late March unveiled the final designs to be featured on the 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins, the new series the U.S. Mint has entitled the America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coinâ„¢ Program.

2010 America the Beautiful Silver Coins Designs
The 5.0 ounce, .999 fine silver coins in the program bear the same reverse designs as the coins they are modeled after, the America the Beautiful Quarters.

"We will be transported to national parks, forests and wildlife refuges, part of a vast public land legacy belonging to all Americans-natural and cultural treasures protected for our recreation, relaxation, education, inspiration and transformation," U.S. Mint Director Moy said at the Newseum when the design images were made public.

Both circulating quarters and silver bullion coins honor National Parks and other National Sites in each state, D.C. and U.S. Territories.

The 2010 coins are the first five of fifty-six in total that will span over eleven years. They honor:

■Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas,
■Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming,
■Yosemite National Park in California,
■Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona, and
■Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon
Until the designs were revealed, the public had access only to the nineteen candidate designs. Three were proposed designs for Yellowstone, and there were four each for Hot Spring, Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Mt. Hood.

The obverse or heads side of each coin bears a restored version of the historic George Washington portrait, which was first featured on the quarter-dollar in 1932.

In addition to the size and weight differences as compared to the quarters, the silver coins will have their edges encused with their weight and fineness. It was these factors that resulted in early production difficulties, and are a part of the reason that they will have had delayed release this year.

"The law was very specific. They said it had to be a certain diameter and it had to be 5 ounces," Mint Director Moy stated at a public coin forum. Well, there isn't a 5 ounce blank out there, so we had to get this custom made. Then, because it was 3 inches in diameter, well we've got a 5 ounce piece of silver and we stretch it out to a 3 inch diameter, it's paper thin."

Mr. Moy described how incusing caused coin edges to "crumple" during trial strikes. "Breakthroughs" have since been made, according to Moy.

The Mint plans to release all five 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins mid year and all at the same time. A specific date is yet to be announced. It will not sell them directly to the public, but instead make them available to a small network of authorized purchasers who in turn will resell them (just like other Mint bullion coins, like the American Silver Eagles).

The 2010 coin designs and the U.S. Mint descriptions of them, follow.

2010 Hot Springs National Park Silver Coin Design

Hot Springs National Park Silver Coin Design - Click to Enlarge
The image on the reverse (tails side) of the Hot Springs National Park quarter depicts the façade of the Hot Springs National Park headquarters building with a fountain in the foreground. The headquarters was built in the Spanish colonial revival style and completed in 1936. The National Park Service emblem is featured to the right of the door. Inscriptions are HOT SPRINGS, ARKANSAS, 2010 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

2010 Yellowstone National Park Silver Coin Design

Yellowstone National Park Silver Coin Design - Click to Enlarge
The image on the reverse of the Yellowstone National Park quarter features the Old Faithful geyser with a mature bull bison in the foreground. Inscriptions are YELLOWSTONE, WYOMING, 2010 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

2010 Yosemite National Park Silver Coin Design

Yosemite National Park Silver Coin Design - Click to Enlarge
The image on the reverse of the Yosemite National Park quarter depicts the iconic El Capitan, which rises more than 3,000 feet above the valley floor and is the largest monolith of granite in the world. Inscriptions are YOSEMITE, CALIFORNIA, 2010 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

2010 Grand Canyon National Park Silver Coin Design

Grand Canyon National Park Silver Coin Design - Click to Enlarge
The image on the reverse of the Grand Canyon National Park quarter features a view of the granaries above the Nankoweap Delta in Marble Canyon near the Colorado River. Marble Canyon is the northernmost section of the Grand Canyon. Granaries were used for storing food and seeds (A.D. 500). Inscriptions are GRAND CANYON, ARIZONA, 2010 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

2010 Mount Hood National Forest Silver Coin Design

Mt. Hood National Park Silver Coin Design - Click to Enlarge
The image on the reverse of the Mount Hood National Forest quarter depicts a view of Mount Hood with Lost Lake in the foreground. Inscriptions are MOUNT HOOD, OREGON, 2010 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

ximmy
7th April 2010, 10:04 PM
those are sweet.. wonder what the markup will be??

StackerKen
7th April 2010, 10:17 PM
yep those are really cool

Phil_Schnieder
8th April 2010, 12:51 PM
I've always enjoyed all of the Buffalo coins and have a few of the commemoratives. I'm looking forward to these and should start saving up now.

Plus, 5 oz silver is the most fun size to hold!

Korbin Dallas
8th April 2010, 03:04 PM
I love 5ozzers! Cant wait.

Texan
9th April 2010, 08:46 PM
I like this kind of stuff, but they lost me with a 3" diameter 5 ounce "paper thin" coin.

Another sad example of out of touch dullards making law after law after law.

The designs don't look very good in the pictures, but I'm still curious what the finished versions will look like.

SLV^GLD
4th December 2010, 07:27 AM
I love 5ozzers! Cant wait.
Agreed. 5ozt rounds are the best size for displaying details without getting over sized or gaudy looking. I make it a habit to get the 5ozt lunars each year because they are awesome to look at in that denomination.

madfranks
4th December 2010, 07:35 AM
A five ounce silver round with a face value of 25 cents? What an insult! Reminds me of the guy who wanted to make a one ounce gold coin with a face value of $5.

SLV^GLD
4th December 2010, 07:38 AM
A five ounce silver round with a face value of 25 cents? What an insult! Reminds me of the guy who wanted to make a one ounce gold coin with a face value of $5.
If the SAE has $1 face value shouldn't this be $5?

Sparky
4th December 2010, 02:04 PM
Aren't 5-ounce coins sort of impractical? You can't really stack them like bars, and I'm assuming there are no tubes for them. In terms of value, they are similar to 1/10 oz gold coins, so they're not really filling a need there. These are the quarter designs, so I would think they would look terrific on 1-oz rounds.

As for the markup... How could they not have a large markup? These are collectibles.

StackerKen
4th December 2010, 02:32 PM
you get those same designs for a reasonable premium if you buy the 90% silver proof quarters ;D

http://www.austincoins.com/images/America-beautiful-quarter-5-coin-set-25wt.jpg

Below spot as a matter of fact ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Silver-S-America-Beautiful-Proof-Park-Quarters-/380293980117?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item588b499fd5#ht_500wt_665