PDA

View Full Version : Post Office getting desparate?

Gknowmx
7th April 2010, 08:13 PM
I was in the post office yesterday to mail a letter. I needed to have it weighed for postage. The Postal employee, who I recognize as one who has been at this office for years, had always been polite but quiet. Yesterday, a totally different story. She asked me methodically if I needed each and everyone of the additional services and products offerred. From additional stamps, to goofy oversized boxes. At first I was polite, then I indicated firmly that all I needed was a stamp, then I got visibly annoyed at the persistent badgering. Then I noticed that one of the windows had been occupied by what appeared to be a supervisor who was diligently watching to see that each employee was properly badgering the patrons.

Anyone else notice this?

dysgenic
7th April 2010, 08:18 PM
I've noticed it at ALL businesses. Call it 'the law of diminishing returns', or 'the law of marginal utility', but we've reached a point where these questions do a hell of a lot more harm than good. A few years ago 'upselling' was all the rage. Now all companies do it to the point of alienating their customers.

When it comes to American business, there is a huge crisis of leadership. Instead of finding a different drum to bang, so far all the leaders have come up with is to bang the same drum louder, faster, and longer.

willie pete
7th April 2010, 08:29 PM
Most of the PO's I've been in, it's like your on "Their time" just last week, waiting in line, my turn came up, but I had to wait almost a minute so the clerk could finish her conversation with the other clerk that was closing down :D

MarketNeutral
7th April 2010, 08:58 PM
A butt ton of them are going to be layed off.

Everyone feels they got a target on their back.

Let's hope we don't have the going postal incidents like the last time this happened.

Note to self: Wear kevlar next time I have to buy stamps.

Tinman
7th April 2010, 09:01 PM
They've only asked me if I wanted to buy some stamps, but I haven't been there in a few weeks.

The automated postage machines and the stamp vending machines were the best thing they ever had at the post office, so naturally they got rid of them all.

FiftySense
7th April 2010, 09:33 PM
When I go in they usually ask but in a fast, concise manner.. "Any stamps, boxes or envelopes today?" I usually then proceed to say "No" (only once) and then calmly proceed out the door with my receipt and a completed transaction. Not much of a problem around here.

I am considering the Kevlar though now that you mention it. Never know who could be a candidate for a time-bomb..

http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/assets/production/01/10/47/66/6873bf.png

ximmy
7th April 2010, 09:42 PM
It' true though, when some overpaid supervisor is around... they have to adhere to ridiculous mannerisms.

Our delivery guy, who is the best we've ever had.. was followed by a supervisor one day.... She had a clipboard and was intensely following his every arm movement carefully and taking notes... I wanted to shoot her... and gave her a dirty look. The next day he told me "They are trying to economize the carriers route movements."

Pluck that.

Ponce
7th April 2010, 09:50 PM
Here they are closed on Saturday and two employees got laid off or fired... same difference to me.

And they take a lunch break at noon AND that's when the town people go to the post office on their lunch break.

Gknowmx
8th April 2010, 05:07 PM
About a year ago I was getting gas at a self serve station with about 12 pumps. There was a Postal delivery truck in the center bay, no driver inside. As I stood pumping my gas, out of the 7/11 comes the driver with a cup of coffee. The tank of his vehicle is on the left hand side (normal driver's side), but since it is a Postal vehicle, he gets in the right hand side, starts it up, and pulls away. Oops! he forgot that he left the hose in the tank. Ripped the hose right off the pump and the quick detach point (I guess this is why they have them, I had never seen this happen before) with a loud "pop". He stopped, backed up, went around, took the hose out of the tank, and DROVE OFF!! I couldn't believe it!

chad
8th April 2010, 06:56 PM
i bought a tomtom at a radio shack about 3 weeks ago. total impulse purchase. anyway, the guy literally came about 1% away from calling me stupid to not buy the battery protection plan. i couldn't believe the hard sales tactic. i finally told him to go get the manager, whereby i went crazy and got an additional 10% off. ;D