PDA

View Full Version : A new gold standard. Hayek thinks not.

Libertarian_Guard
8th April 2010, 05:07 AM
Hayek: Yes, they do occasionallv. The trouble is, in the mechanical system what forces politicians is the gold standard. The gold standard, even if it were nominally adopted now, would never work because people are not willing to play by the rules of the game. The rules of the game that the gold standard requires [say] that if you have an unfavorable balance of trade, you contract your currency. That's what no government can do--they'd rather go off the gold standard. In fact, I'm con- vinced that if we restored the gold standard now, within six months the first country would be off it and, within three years. it would completely disappear.

The gold standard was based on what was essentially an irrational superstition. As long as people believed there was no salvation but the gold standard, the thing could work. That illusion or superstition has been lost. We now can never successfully run a gold standard. I wish we could. Its largely as a result of this that I have been thinking of alternatives.

Reason: You have, at various times, championed a commodity-reserve monetary system and competition in the money supply. Are these practical alternatives to a govemment con- trolled central banking system?

Hayek: Yes. I have been convinced that while the idea of the commodity-reserve system is a good one, practically it is unmanageable. The idea of accumulating actual stocks of com- modities as reserves is so complex and impractical that it just cannot be done.

http://reason.com/archives/1992/07/01/the-road-from-serfdom/2