PDA

View Full Version : Best time to take vitamins?

steyr_m
8th April 2010, 12:44 PM
I know the obvious for when not to take vitamins, e.g. not when consuming alcohol or caffeine. But when is the best time to take them? Before/after exercise? Before/after a meal?

ximmy
8th April 2010, 12:52 PM
From my understanding, you should take them with food.

I get a better buzz when I consume alcohol and work out.. probably enriches the blood faster ;D

Brent
9th April 2010, 05:07 PM
I have always read that vitamins are largely a waste of money that would be better of spent on fruits and veggies that contain natural vitamins. So I would say the best time to take them would be never. ;D Instead I would add a variety of fruits and veggies to your current diet.

Areyouanywhere
10th April 2010, 05:34 PM
I have always read that vitamins are largely a waste of money that would be better of spent on fruits and veggies that contain natural vitamins. So I would say the best time to take them would be never. ;D Instead I would add a variety of fruits and veggies to your current diet.

Well that depends on what form your vitamins are in. If they are in pressed pill form, yea your body is not going to absorb much at all. Powdered form in a gelcap is a little better. Angstrom sized is best from my research, supposedly since they are in angstrom form your cells can use them without going through the digestion process. I buy mine from angstrom-mineral.com (http://angstrom-mineral.com). Also the time of day and with food or not depends on what specific vitamin or mineral you are talking about.

BeefJerky
10th April 2010, 06:46 PM
Whole food vitamins are the most effective. Synthetic vitamins should be avoided.

Whole food vitamins can be taken at anytime. It is best to take them at a regular time during the day. In example- if 10am then 10am everyday.

Of course it would be optimal to get all your vitamins from your regular daily diet. In todays society, that is difficult. Your whole food vitamins should be from a natural source.

RealFood Organics by Country Life are excellent.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
25th April 2010, 02:04 PM
Most people do not get enough iodine. Your hypothalmus and thyroid becomes incredibly good at using the same iodine over and over.

mamboni
25th April 2010, 02:15 PM
Vitamins and minerals are generally best taken after a meal.

B-vitamins should be taken apart from minerals and vitamin C. And Vitamin C can be taken with minerals and will greatly enhance absorption particulary of iron but may upset the stomach.

Fat soluble vitamins should be taken with a fatty meal (virtually all are except vegetarian).

Mineral supplements are very important as our soil has been greatly depleted of trace minerals from overfarming. Manganese, Chromium, Selenium, Zinc should be supplemented. Iron is dangerous and one should consider reviewing family history and having serum iron levels tested before taking iron supplements, especially those of northern European ancestry.

mamboni's natural sleeping pill: B-complex capsule with 50 of everything and 100 mg choline, inositol and pantothenic acid + 2 aspirin tabs.

Vitamin D3. I've been supplementing with 5000 IU per day for about a month and have noticed several effects:

1. I'm sleeping more restfully and better than I have in many years
2. My mood is more even and I have far less excitable
3. My muscle tone and strength have improved.

Everyone should be on Vitamin D3 for it's cancer-preventative and immune-boosting effects. A minimum of 2000 IU is recommended. It is fat soluble so take it with a meal. If you miss a few days you can double or triple up with no loss of effect - I do this all the time.

willie pete
25th April 2010, 03:39 PM
Mamboni, you take 2 81 or 325 ASA QHS? No worry about duodenal ulcers?

mamboni
25th April 2010, 03:58 PM
Mamboni, you take 2 81 or 325 ASA QHS? No worry about duodenal ulcers?

I take two adult 325 mg aspirins. I never had an ulcer. Some patients are prone to ulcers so caution is advised when ingesting aspirin on an empty stomach. If you coat the stomach with some food (i.e. fruit, a few nuts, non-acidic fluid) you should have no problem. If you already have a peptic ulcer, then aspirin is contraindicated.

Shami-Amourae
26th April 2010, 12:28 AM

B-vitamins should be taken apart from minerals and vitamin C. And Vitamin C can be taken with minerals and will greatly enhance absorption particulary of iron but may upset the stomach.

Fat soluble vitamins should be taken with a fatty meal (virtually all are except vegetarian).

Mineral supplements are very important as our soil has been greatly depleted of trace minerals from overfarming. Manganese, Chromium, Selenium, Zinc should be supplemented. Iron is dangerous and one should consider reviewing family history and having serum iron levels tested before taking iron supplements, especially those of northern European ancestry.

mamboni's natural sleeping pill: B-complex capsule with 50 of everything and 100 mg choline, inositol and pantothenic acid + 2 aspirin tabs.

Vitamin D3. I've been supplementing with 5000 IU per day for about a month and have noticed several effects:

Everyone should be on Vitamin D3 for it's cancer-preventative and immune-boosting effects. A minimum of 2000 IU is recommended. It is fat soluble so take it with a meal. If you miss a few days you can double or triple up with no loss of effect - I do this all the time.

I've been doing taking Vitamin D3 myself, but at 4,000 IU a day.

My asthma and acid reflux have improved dramatically.

steyr_m
27th April 2010, 07:56 AM

That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to respond.