PDA

View Full Version : Faith or Charity Alone?

RJB
8th April 2010, 03:03 PM
Faith or Love Alone?

First I'm sure most of us Christians agree are saved through the grace of God through the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus, not by ourselves.

But back to my false dichotomy. Elsewhere I have been accused of following a false gospel because I do not believe in the unbiblical doctrine of Faith Alone. There is only one place in the bible that mentions faith alone and that is,
"James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." And I've read it in context with the entire Book of James. It's clear to me what was intended.

If limited to one word to describe the gospel that Jesus Christ gave us I would have to summarize it as love: "Love God with your heart, mind, and soul and love your neighbor as yourself."

The Greek word for love is Agape-- a selfless love. The ultimate display would be to give ones life for another. The King James Version uses Charity-- which is love worked out. St Paul tells us in "1 Cor 13:2...and though I have all FAITH, so that I could remove mountains, and have not CHARITY, I am nothing." Later in the chapter Paul says Charity is greater than Faith and hope.

(Actually I wonder why no one ever says by "HOPE alone" we are saved: Romans 8:24 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?"
But I digress.)

However we usually see Faith and Love together as in Galatians 5:6"For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."

GOOD WORKS VS WORKS OF THE LAW
What most people confuse for Good works/Charity is the works of the law. Being circumcised and not eating pork is not a charitable work. Giving alms and boasting isn't charity neither. Christ calls us to be like him in loving selflessly.

From the bible we hear that by ones fruits shall we know them. Catholics love to point out the atrocities of the Calvinists, the Church of England, German Princes as proof that Protestantism is a false gospel, and Protestants like to point out that Catholics were just as bad or worse. Here we see faith that was seriously lacking in hope in God's plan and lacking love for our neighbors. Instead these people allowed themselves to be used as tools for Satan as they quested for power.

There is a quote from Ghandi, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” I really hate this quote because it is so haunting to me because it's sometimes so brutally true. What brought me to Jesus Christ was not people telling me they'd hope I'd burn in hell. (At that point, I liked to push Christians to that point to "prove" they weren't loving.) What brought me to God was the prayers and love of families and friends. What finally allowed my eyes to open was when I allowed Jesus into my heart and could FINALLY feel that love God gives so willingly if we ask.

Hope and Faith support Charity as does our Love for God support our Faith and Hope. None stand alone.