PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by the Bakery

osprey
8th April 2010, 05:12 PM
Stopped at our local Walmart today on the way home from work looking for some food grade buckets. The lady I spoke with told me they had a policy change and were not allowed to give them away any longer. They are to be cleaned out and sent back to be refilled. :(

Sock Puppy
8th April 2010, 07:06 PM
If you are talking about those 5 gallon plastic buckets, that doesn't sound very sanitary. I'm glad I'm not a wallmart shopper.

I get them at the local drive-in in Seattle called "Dick's". Mayonnaise, pickles, etc. come in them. Unfortunately they charge a buck or a buck and a half for each of them, but they are cleaned.

--SP

Saul Mine
9th April 2010, 01:20 AM
They're going to reuse food buckets?

osprey
9th April 2010, 03:03 PM
That response really surprised me too! Doesn't seem like reuse would be allowed commercially.
I talked to someone at another local place this afternoon and they told me I could have all I wanted. Said they would hold them for me and to stop by once a week to check with them. Really nice folks.

Korbin Dallas
9th April 2010, 03:44 PM
They send them back to China, turn them into porta potties for the sweatshops which produce the cheap crap Walmart sells.

CrufflerJJ
10th April 2010, 09:28 AM
Stopped at our local Walmart today on the way home from work looking for some food grade buckets. The lady I spoke with told me they had a policy change and were not allowed to give them away any longer. They are to be cleaned out and sent back to be refilled. :(

Sounds like some sort of "green" cost savings initiative, pushed by a young MBA-type looking for their annual bonus.

Ironfield
10th April 2010, 11:57 PM

Sounds like some sort of "green" cost savings initiative, pushed by a young MBA-type looking for their annual bonus.

That and given the current financial climate it would make economic sense to the higher ups.

-Ironfield

CrufflerJJ
11th April 2010, 04:14 AM

That and given the current financial climate it would make economic sense to the higher ups.

-Ironfield

The problem with these wonderful initiatives, from what I saw at work, was that the additional handling/shipping/paperwork costs $15, in order to save $7. Don't worry, though - we'll make it up in volume! ;D

bootstrap
13th April 2010, 04:40 PM
The only way I could see them reusing the buckets is they started putting a liner in the bucket and no longer allowed the product to touch the bucket walls. I know some commercial food products are shipped this way. I think the more likely scenario is as a other poster mentioned this is probably a green initiative for recycling.