PDA

View Full Version : Ohio judge tells citizens to arm themselves

uranian
9th April 2010, 03:22 AM
Ashtabula County: Judge tells residents to "Arm themselves" (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=133951&catid=3)

In the ongoing financial crisis in Ashtabula County, the Sheriff's Department has been cut from 112 to 49 deputies. With deputies assigned to transport prisoners, serve warrants and other duties, only one patrol car is assigned to patrrol the entire county of 720 square miles.

"I did the best with what they (the county commissioners) gave me. If it wasn't enough, don't blame me, don't blame this department," said Sheriff Billy Johnson.

Johnson said he is suing the commissioners to get a determination of whether he should use his limited budget to carry out obligations defined by law or put more patrol cars on the streets.

"I just can't do it anymore," he said. "I have to have the court explain to the commissioners and to me what my statutory duties are."

The Ashtabula County Jail has confined as many as 140 prisoners. It now houses only 30 because of reductions in the staff of corrections officers.

All told, 700 accused criminals are on a waiting list to serve time in the jail.

Are there dangerous people free among the 700 who cannot be locked up?

"There probably are," Sheriff Johnson said, "but I'm telling you, any known violent criminal, we're housing them. We've got murderers in there."

Ashtabula County is the largest county in Ohio by land area.

Ashtabula County Common Pleas Judge Alfred Mackey was asked what residents should do to protect themselves and their families with the severe cutback in law enforcement.

"Arm themselves," the judge said. "Be very careful, be vigilant, get in touch with your neighbors, because we're going to have to look after each other."

Ashtabula County gun dealers and firearms instructors tell WKYC their business has really picked up since the Sheriff's Department cutbacks began some months ago.

"That's exactly why they are coming, so that they can protect themselves," says Tracy Williams, a certified firearms instructor in Jefferson. "They don't feel that they are protected. They want to be able to protect themselves."

Williams says interest in his classes has doubled recently, and many of those coming are people who he would not normally expect to have interest in obtaining a concealed carry permit.

"And as far as him (Judge Mackey) telling you to arm yourselves and protect yourselves, you don't have any other option," Williams told WKYC. "We don't have the law enforcement out here to handle it right now."

Ashtabula County, where unemployment is higher than the state average, is asking voters to approve a one half per cent sales tax increase in May.

The tax hike would raise the tax in the county to seven percent.

guess we'll see more of this, law-enforcement agencies cutting back, as more states/counties go bankrupt.

Celtic Rogue
9th April 2010, 03:31 AM
all county services are slated to be cut in my county! People thought a govt job was the best way to have job security... guess times have changed!

1970 Silver Art
9th April 2010, 03:51 AM
Sounds like go advice to me since it appears that the Ashtabula County gov't is not able to "protect" the citizen taxpayers. Arming yourself is always a good idea IMO regardless of the number of law enforcement that is present in a city or county.

When seconds count, the police will take several minutes to get to the scene of the crime. By the time that the police get there, they are just "cleaning up".

cigarlover
9th April 2010, 07:27 AM
Exactly, why would anyone put any faith in someone else protecting them?

Yes it used to be that a gov job was job security, However you used to take that job for the benefits but the pay was lower. Over time they raised the pay along with the benefits and broke the bank. Noone to blame but themselves.

Ponce
9th April 2010, 08:00 AM
We no longer have a Sheriff Department in my one mule town but use the services of the next big town.....in a 911 call it would take them AT LEAST 35 minutes to get here.........like the City Mayor told me "If they break into your property you kill them and I'll do the rest".

You have seen nothing yet.

Good morning to everyone......first post of the day.

Horn
9th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Have we hit bottom yet? Where'd all the cops go?

Plastic
9th April 2010, 08:37 AM
Have we hit bottom yet? Where'd all the cops go?

Who cares?
All we really need is a good selection of pistols/shotguns/rifles and a shovel imo for old style justice, I for one hate and resent the police who deprive us of our freedoms at the behest of a corrupted government.

Ponce
9th April 2010, 09:04 AM
In what is to come cops will be very bussy protecting their own and looking for food to feed them......

I will not be afraid of criminals for I will know who the are but the cops, under the color of authority, will be able to come into my home and take what they want, if they can.

Plastic
9th April 2010, 09:13 AM
Right on Ponce, the cops can be and often are worse than the criminals. At least with a known thief/murderer you know where you stand, for that weird and twisted reason I would trust them more than someone in uniform who may have a different agenda than they claim....