PDA

View Full Version : The Great, H.L. Mencken

learn2swim
9th April 2010, 11:14 AM
I just have to give this fella some props. Feel free to throw up some quotes from other sources you respect..

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier.

A society made up of individuals who were all capable of original thought would probably be unendurable.

All government, of course, is against liberty.

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses.

Democracy is only a dream: it should be put in the same category as Arcadia, Santa Claus, and Heaven.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.

I believe in only one thing: liberty; but I do not believe in liberty enough to want to force it upon anyone.

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.

I never smoked a cigarette until I was nine.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.

Let's not burn the universities yet. After all, the damage they do might be worse.

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an institution?

Most people want security in this world, not liberty.

No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.

The only really happy folk are married women and single men.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

Time stays, we go.

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

What men value in this world is not rights but privileges.

saint
9th April 2010, 11:25 AM
HL Mencken Rocks.

I helped a friend edit this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Handbook-Reference-Verbal-Sparring/dp/1602397600

We discussed HL's quotes at length and one of my early notes was that he was so prolifically brilliant that we had to be extremely selective.
It was a difficult to make the final selections.

Amazing how his musings transcend time - his relevancy in today's world is a testament to his genius.

ST