PDA

View Full Version : Rice Lake Voters Elect 19-Year-Old Mayor

Ares
9th April 2010, 04:23 PM
A young man wearing a Hollister T-shirt, shorts and sandals picked up election signs Wednesday in Rice Lake, Wis. The 19-year-old wasn't a campaign volunteer. Romaine Quinn is the new mayor.

Quinn, who served one year on the Rice Lake City Council before being elected mayor on Tuesday, said, "Age, I don't think, necessarily makes a difference, I mean, it's about the issues."

Judging by the talk at Maxine's restaurant, he might be right.

"Apparently, a lot of people wanted change," said 78-year-old Del Hanson, who voted for Quinn.

A couple seats down the counter, Richard Cerminar wished he could have cast a ballot for the young candidate.

"From what I understand, an extremely nice young man," said Cerminar, who lives just outside Rice Lake proper.

Cerminar thinks Romaine's big win had a lot to do with what happened on Manwaring Avenue and other roads around town.

"They cut down trees that were 40 and 50 years old and put in sidewalks nobody needed or wanted," he said.

"They just didn't listen," said George Erickson. "Basically everybody on this street didn't want a sidewalk."

The "improvements" being made by the city are effectively taking away half of Erickson's front yard.

It doesn't help that the project got started late last fall and is still ongoing.

JoAnn Erickson said her front yard has been a muddy mess much of the past several months.

The Ericksons and their neighbors filled the council chambers to protest plans to put in sidewalks.

"The council wouldn't listen, but Romaine was one that said, 'I think we should listen to the people,' and no, they wouldn't," Joann recalled.

"People want someone who's proud to serve as mayor, but still humble enough to realize he's no better than anyone else in town," said Quinn, who takes political science classes at the University of Wisconsin-Barron County.

He cites Ron Paul, the libertarian-leaning Republican congressman from Texas, as his political role model.

The Ericksons voted for a young mayor once before. JoAnn said that was a "disaster."

She's not worried about Quinn's fitness for the job or his age.

"Doesn't matter. He's got a head on his shoulders," said JoAnn. "He'll do fine. I'm sure he'll do fine. It'll surprise me if he doesn't."

During his campaign, Quinn told voters he wants to hold the line on taxes, replace the city administrator and, of course, reconsider plans to put sidewalks all over Rice Lake.

He beat incumbent mayor Dan Fitzgerald with 53 percent of the vote.

http://wcco.com/local/19.year.old.2.1620097.html

Horn
9th April 2010, 04:27 PM
Excellent, and why not?

I would encourage a 19yr. old to run for office anywhere they could.

Not like they're gonna find a job elsewhere.

Ponce
9th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Third time that I have read the same thing in other towns........the last one was about five years ago.......and they all are 19 years of age.

Apparition
9th April 2010, 04:32 PM
He cites Ron Paul, the libertarian-leaning Republican congressman from Texas, as his political role model.

Good for him.

If he can enact some good libertarian policies then this could have a small yet positive rippling effect on other cities.

Brent
9th April 2010, 05:00 PM
I'd say its pathetic that a 19 year old has to step up to the plate. No offense meant to the many older posters here but in general the previous generations have really let us (younger folks) down.

The people cleaning up the mess that is this country shouldn't be teenagers who have had a very limited impact on our current situation.

Again no offense is meant to the older posters here. Most of you are in no way, shape, or form part of the "problem".

kiffertom
9th April 2010, 07:20 PM
I'd say its pathetic that a 19 year old has to step up to the plate. No offense meant to the many older posters here but in general the previous generations have really let us (younger folks) down.

The people cleaning up the mess that is this country shouldn't be teenagers who have had a very limited impact on our current situation.

Again no offense is meant to the older posters here. Most of you are in no way, shape, or form part of the "problem".
he cant fu*k it up worse than the people before him. maybe hes young enough to listen.