PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline storage results.

Ash_Williams
9th April 2010, 05:00 PM
Over two years ago I started storing some gasoline. I was done in 5 gallon plastic jugs (the regular red ones with black caps). I used a gasoline stabilizer called "Sta-bil" (not much of a name, I know). It's red and smells terrible. The bottle lists a dosage for 1 year storage of gasoline, and says to double it for 2 years. I doubled it for two years.

Just recently, after realizing how fast 2 years goes by and that my gasoline was now past it's expiration date, I dumped a whole bunch into an old work truck that was down to an empty tank. It runs absolutely fine.

I'd say the experiment went very smooth and was successful.

As I refill the jugs for another 2 years I'm going to premium fuel for higher octane so as to be usable in more vehicle and also small engines. The premium fuel I'm getting this time also has no ethanol... I heard it can be a problem for small engines.

osprey
9th April 2010, 05:37 PM
Great info! How did you keep it stored? Shed, garage, climate controled or not? I've used Sta-bil for a few years, but never kept the treated gas for much more that 8-10 months before rotating it.

Ash_Williams
9th April 2010, 06:31 PM
I put the caps on tight and tossed it all in a cabinet in my garage and forgot about it. Temperature would have varied between -10 to +25 celsius in that particular spot as it was near the house and didn't get too cold or warm there.

skid
9th April 2010, 10:40 PM
As long as gas is stored in an airtight container in a somewhat cool place and out of sunlight, it should last a long while. I use gas that has been stored over a year with no stabilizer with zero problems.

Metal containers are best.

CrufflerJJ
10th April 2010, 09:28 AM
As long as gas is stored in an airtight container in a somewhat cool place and out of sunlight, it should last a long while. I use gas that has been stored over a year with no stabilizer with zero problems.

Metal containers are best.

I agree with your statement re: metal containers. The problem with using plastic containers (even "airtight") is that the regular HDPE (high density polyethylene) plastic used is fairly permeable to oxygen. Using StaBil or PRI-G (my favorite) will certainly help reduce oxidation, but I'd still prefer steel cans.

Ponce
10th April 2010, 11:23 AM
PRI-G IS THE BEST ONE..........

CrufflerJJ
10th April 2010, 01:42 PM

Or PRI-D if you're using/storing diesel fuel.

ruprick
10th April 2010, 02:36 PM
I keep 55 gal steel drums full of gasoline.....both automotive and aviation gasoline....tight bungs with rubber seals.....I have some that is over 5 years old....still perfect condition....I use no stabilizer at all.

No evaporation = no degredation.

I think is could go for decades.

ruprick
10th April 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks Ratholer! Your Avatar is still beautiful.

I think I might just go All-In here and just skip the old GIM2.....are most of the guys here 100%ers?

Gypsybiker45
14th April 2010, 06:54 PM
Premium is NOT the best fuel to store by any means,It burns "hotter" only becase it burns slower, translated harder to start in cold weather, has ZERO improvement in any modern car designed for UL fuel. High Performance engines as in luxury cars, Motorcycles and Snowmobiles is all that its intended for ,anything else is a waste.Small utility engines barely require 87 octane, Premium is totally unnecessary, save your .30 a gallon for something better,like more stabil!

Korbin Dallas
17th April 2010, 10:14 PM
I know metal cans are better than plastic, but they are getting harder to find and are getting pricey. Would a six to twelve month rotation with Stabil work just as well with plastic? Or would I be better off hunting down some metal Jerrys?

skid
18th April 2010, 09:48 AM
I know metal cans are better than plastic, but they are getting harder to find and are getting pricey. Would a six to twelve month rotation with Stabil work just as well with plastic? Or would I be better off hunting down some metal Jerrys?

Just get a red metal tank that you normally see in the back of pickups. They usually hold a 50 to 100 gallons. Buy a hand or 12V pump and you are good to go. Or, get metal barrels, and use a barrell pump or tip on the side and use a bung tap. Barrels are by far the cheapest route, but a little hard to store if you're in the city, as any fuel should be stored away from your house.

I currently use barrels but am looking for some used large farm tanks for gas and diesel, as I use a fair amount of fuel for my tractors and irrigation pump.

Korbin Dallas
18th April 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks skid!
I'm thinking of building a shed on the far corner of my lot. Even though I'm in suburbia, the site is a good 50 feet from any structure. Right now I have a small shed next to the house and I'm not crazy about storing even small amounts of fuel in them.

Ash_Williams
24th April 2010, 05:24 PM
Premium is NOT the best fuel to store by any means,It burns "hotter" only becase it burns slower, translated harder to start in cold weather, has ZERO improvement in any modern car designed for UL fuel. High Performance engines as in luxury cars, Motorcycles and Snowmobiles is all that its intended for ,anything else is a waste.Small utility engines barely require 87 octane, Premium is totally unnecessary, save your .30 a gallon for something better,like more stabil!

Unfortunately my chainsaw and one of my cars (yeah I bought a yuppie luxury car) requires it. I haven't tried the chainsaw on 87 but I did try the car on 87 once and it was not good. I keep the gasoline for SHTF or just a temporary supply interruption (which has happened here once in the last 2 years, and once back during the big blackout) and in the second case I'd like to be able to drive my nice car. The other thing is that regular fuel here from any gas station contains ethanol while premium (from some places) does not.

I've also noticed that while my 2000 pickup runs just fine on 87 or on premium, the mileage is undeniably better on the premium. I think it may be the ethanol as some people have found huge mileage drops between ethanol and regular gas even though it theoretically should only be like 3%.

BrewTech
24th April 2010, 06:57 PM
Over two years ago I started storing some gasoline. I was done in 5 gallon plastic jugs (the regular red ones with black caps). I used a gasoline stabilizer called "Sta-bil" (not much of a name, I know). It's red and smells terrible. The bottle lists a dosage for 1 year storage of gasoline, and says to double it for 2 years. I doubled it for two years.

Just recently, after realizing how fast 2 years goes by and that my gasoline was now past it's expiration date, I dumped a whole bunch into an old work truck that was down to an empty tank. It runs absolutely fine.

I'd say the experiment went very smooth and was successful.

As I refill the jugs for another 2 years I'm going to premium fuel for higher octane so as to be usable in more vehicle and also small engines. The premium fuel I'm getting this time also has no ethanol... I heard it can be a problem for small engines.

Wow, those were my exact result under nearly the same conditions... except that I used Pri-g... (sp?)

The gas in my generator is starting to go a little funky, but it still seems to run fine on it.

Wrenched the shit out of my back sliding that generator around though.... FUUUUUUU...

BrewTech
24th April 2010, 07:00 PM

I've never used Sta-bil, but I'd have to agree that Pri-g works really well...

ruprick
26th April 2010, 07:41 AM
Also - keep in mind, depending on where you live - there is "Winter" and "Summer" fuels. Winter is much more volitile....has 2X the RVP (Reed Vapor Pressure...spelling of reed?).

Summer is 7.5 and winter is 15. Nearly impossible to start many small engines in cold weather with summer fuel. May have vapor lock issues on some equipment with winter fuel in hot weather.

We run a blend of automotive and aviation fuel in some older aircraft just to cut the leaded fuel to the old lead standard (Current 100LL aviation has 2.0grams per gal of TEL....old 80LL had 0.5.....just goes to show that aviation 100LL has a lot of lead). Aviation is 7.5 RVP all year round...so we only use summer automotive for blending.

If stockpiling automotive....try to get winter grade...best bet---as you will probably not have vapor lock issues....but just be aware of the potential. Also the higher RVP will likely lower over time.

CrufflerJJ
26th April 2010, 09:16 AM
Wrenched the sh*t out of my back sliding that generator around though.... FUUUUUUU...

That's why I "cheated" & mounted my cheapie generator on a Harbor Freight wheeled cart. This makes it easy to roll out of the storage shed & place it wherever it's needed.

BrewTech
27th April 2010, 04:59 PM
Wrenched the sh*t out of my back sliding that generator around though.... FUUUUUUU...

That's why I "cheated" & mounted my cheapie generator on a Harbor Freight wheeled cart. This makes it easy to roll out of the storage shed & place it wherever it's needed.

That ain't cheating... that's just smart.

Harbor Freight run tomorrow... thanks Cruf...

Phenix Pawn
3rd May 2010, 08:57 PM
Consistant cool temp (55) and low moisture.

Metal tanks are the best.

Light will KILL gas.

Stabil and the like can render GAS for 2+ years.

AND always drain the carb! ALWAYS!