PDA

View Full Version : Panning in California Gold Country

JohnQPublic
9th April 2010, 07:58 PM
We took the kids out to try some panning in Colfax (Bear River Park). I talked to a few people there. Jeff had his classifier set up.

JohnQPublic
9th April 2010, 07:59 PM
Here is Jeff's sleuth.

JohnQPublic
9th April 2010, 08:00 PM
You can see some gold flakes in Bill's sleuth.

JohnQPublic
9th April 2010, 08:00 PM
There were a few other panners out today. One man came buy and gave us a quick lesson in panning.

Olmstein
10th April 2010, 10:33 AM
Reminds me of many years ago, when I lived in Seattle. I joined the GPAA and did a little panning out near a town called Gold Bar. Never got any gold, just some black sand, but I did enjoy the time outdoors.

I need to find some time to do a little prospecting here in the desert. Plenty of old abandoned mines with tailing piles to sift through.

crazychicken
10th April 2010, 10:36 AM
Reminds me of many years ago, when I lived in Seattle. I joined the GPAA and did a little panning out near a town called Gold Bar. Never got any gold, just some black sand, but I did enjoy the time outdoors.

I need to find some time to do a little prospecting here in the desert. Plenty of old abandoned mines with tailing piles to sift through.

Where are you at?

We have a pretty good sized operation in northern Nevada. Want to try here you are welcome. Keep what you find. There is more than enough.

CC
CC

Olmstein
11th April 2010, 09:49 AM

Where are you at?

We have a pretty good sized operation in northern Nevada. Want to try here you are welcome. Keep what you find. There is more than enough.

CC
CC

Thanks for the invite, CC. I'm here in the Phoenix area, so it's kinda far from northern NV, but if I ever get a chance, I would love to check out your operation. I used to drive trucks and have been across I-80 a few times. I always liked that part of the country.

JDRock
11th April 2010, 12:50 PM
nice thread! THIS is to me what its all about.....the rockies, a goldpan and the great outdoors! ill try and take some pics of my operation this summer.

Hey olmstein, do you concern youself with possible cyanide contamination in old tailings piles?

crazychicken
16th April 2010, 03:57 AM
nice thread! THIS is to me what its all about.....the rockies, a goldpan and the great outdoors! ill try and take some pics of my operation this summer.

Hey olmstein, do you concern youself with possible cyanide contamination in old tailings piles?

It's a good way to get "family time" in. Isn't that wht really counts?

CC

JDRock
16th April 2010, 05:47 AM
you bet!

steel_ag
6th August 2010, 02:27 PM
Trinity County, California

... heard gold is being sold there by miners/prospectors for 70% of spot price... don't know if it is true, but source sounded knowledgeable....