PDA

View Full Version : MATCHES

mick silver
9th April 2010, 11:20 PM
Today i was at walmart so i loaded up on wood matches . you just never know you may need them to light fires for cooking and for lighting the wood stoves . so i bought 9 big boxes today at a cost of 4.50 a prep i added today

skid
9th April 2010, 11:44 PM
Keep 'em dry!

osprey
10th April 2010, 05:43 AM
We've squirreled some of those away. Also made a habit of picking up book or box packs at any and all locations that have them at the checkout counter over the years. We've accumulated three half gallon mason jars full of those too.

Black Blade
10th April 2010, 08:21 AM
Couldn't hurt to have a "fire piston" or "magnesium striker" either. I kind of like the idea of the fire piston myself.

Ponce
10th April 2010, 11:30 AM
I bought mine at the $ store when they were "Strike Anywhere Matches", now they only have the one that you have to strike on the box........two big boxes for one dollar.

CrufflerJJ
10th April 2010, 01:50 PM
I bought mine at the $ store when they were "Strike Anywhere Matches", now they only have the one that you have to strike on the box........two big boxes for one dollar.

I just bought a bunch of strike anywhere matches on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-4878902122-250CT-Anywhere-Matches/dp/B000Q6B12E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1270932279&sr=8-1 ). About $3 per box, and shipping wasn't hateful at all (~$5 to ship 10 boxes).

mick silver
10th April 2010, 08:55 PM
hey jj check walmart they have the same matches at the walmart here 3 boxes a buck 50

AndreaGail
10th April 2010, 09:00 PM
i've got a couple boxes stacked away as well

and don't forget a great complement to matches, candles!
you can pick these up on the cheap at garage sales

CrufflerJJ
11th April 2010, 04:13 AM
hey jj check walmart they have the same matches at the walmart here 3 boxes a buck 50

Thanks! I'll check my local WallyWorld.

chad
12th April 2010, 02:43 PM
go to your hardware or grocery store and buy a block of parafin wax. melt it in a pot, then dip the matcheads in. blow on them for a few seconds until they dry. viola, waterproof matches.

CrufflerJJ
12th April 2010, 04:32 PM
go to your hardware or grocery store and buy a block of parafin wax. melt it in a pot, then dip the matcheads in. blow on them for a few seconds until they dry. viola, waterproof matches.

That's how I used to waterproof my matches just a "few years ago" when I was in Boy Scouts.

Saul Mine
12th April 2010, 05:08 PM

NO! That makes them very difficult to light. Same for enamel paint. Coat matches with lacquer. Nail polish is ok but be sure it's lacquer nail polish, not enamel. (Some of them don't say. Get one that says it's lacquer.) You can make your own lacquer by dissolving a cut up ping-pong ball in two ounces of acetone. Be sure it's a real ping-pong ball, not a plastic simulation. A real ball makes a distinctive click when it bounces.

osprey
12th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Couldn't hurt to have a "fire piston" or "magnesium striker" either. I kind of like the idea of the fire piston myself.

I like the looks of a fire piston too. Haven't tried one yet, but I've been using flint & steel for a few years now. Works like a champ even if you drop it in the creek.

Saul Mine
12th April 2010, 10:49 PM
The fire piston, or diesel lighter, is good when warm, about the same temp range as a butane lighter. But the ones I have seen cost over fifty bux, and you can buy a lot of Bics for that price.

MNeagle
13th April 2010, 07:16 PM
Bics don't work when they're cold, at least not very well.

Silver Moon Rising
15th April 2010, 12:36 PM
This will quickly start a fire as long as you have sunshine. Not quite as portable as matches though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1YvJT5tLQ&feature=player_embedded#!