PDA

View Full Version : Just in case

Areyouanywhere
10th April 2010, 07:02 PM
In case something unthinkable ever happens to me, I am making a list of all the coins I have with the estimated values so my family does not get ripped off if they sell some of my collection. Anyone else do this? Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Horn
10th April 2010, 07:13 PM
In case something unthinkable ever happens to me, I am making a list of all the coins I have with the estimated values so my family does not get ripped off if they sell some of my collection. Anyone else do this? Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Good idea, just don't put a total on it.

If they see that easily they may just do you themselves. ;D

Areyouanywhere
10th April 2010, 07:16 PM
Lol applause for you!

MNeagle
10th April 2010, 07:29 PM
Make sure it has a date on it too.

Areyouanywhere
10th April 2010, 07:39 PM
Make sure it has a date on it too.

Yes, got that covered. Also I have current price of gold and silver on it, along with a note that prices can vary depending on the gold/silver price. I think I will also write down some websites to get up to date pricing info at. Thanks.

chinmusic
11th April 2010, 08:19 AM
Another helpful piece of info to put on it is the name of any particular dealer you have developed a good relationship with over the years. Also anyone you know to be a straight shooter or those to avoid. This type of info was something you developed over the years of dealing with them, something your successor wont have the advantage of.

madfranks
11th April 2010, 10:53 AM

I had a list with all my coins like you mentioned, but more for record keeping purposes than anything else. Last year when our house got robbed and thousands of dollars worth of PMs (mostly numismatic pieces in slabs) were stolen, that list was incredibly helpful, I made copies and passed it out to all the local pawn/coin shops just in case someone came in trying to sell them. If you have slabbed coins, note the serial # as well, "just in case".

Areyouanywhere
11th April 2010, 06:53 PM
I had a list with all my coins like you mentioned, but more for record keeping purposes than anything else. Last year when our house got robbed and thousands of dollars worth of PMs (mostly numismatic pieces in slabs) were stolen, that list was incredibly helpful, I made copies and passed it out to all the local pawn/coin shops just in case someone came in trying to sell them. If you have slabbed coins, note the serial # as well, "just in case".
[/quote]

That's a good idea, thanks! I hope that never happens to me, and if it does I have all my valuable ones hidden and have decoys in a safe in sight, so I would think robbers would go for that first before combing my house. Not that that is a bullet proof strategy, but it should help divert their attention hopefully.