PDA

View Full Version : The Breakfast Thread

Olmstein
11th April 2010, 09:36 AM
Post any and all breakfast recipes, traditional or not, here.

Biscuits and sausage gravy.

Recipe is for two servings, just double the amounts for 4 servings.

4 buttermilk biscuits
1/2 pound of sausage (fatty sausage works best for this)
2 cups of milk
2-3 tablespoons flour

Brown the sausage in a skillet, breaking it into small pieces. Do not drain the fat. Turn the heat to medium, and add the flour one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. The more flour you add, the thicker the gravy will be. Once the flour is brown (careful, don't let it burn), slowly pour in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly so as not to scald/burn the milk. Let it bubble for 3-5 minutes, and remove from heat. The gravy will thicken up a bit upon cooling, so don't worry if it seems a little thin at this point. Salt and pepper to taste and then spoon over split biscuits.

I use Pillsbury frozen Grands biscuits, but you can use whatever you like.

This is a recipe I learned from my grandmother.

Fanta
12th April 2010, 08:49 PM
I got that same recipe from my great-grandmother too! Jimmy Dean sausage works best! The fattier the better!

Cinnamon-Brown sugar French Toast
6 slices of bread
2 eggs
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cream
dash of nutmeg

Combine and whisk eggs, sugar, cinnamon, cream, and nutmeg into bowl and whisk until a little fluffy. Dip slice of bread into mixture coating both sides, then transfer to hot skillet browning both sides. Sprinkle with powered sugar and syrup! :)

MmMmm... think i might make this tomorrow!

Saul Mine
12th April 2010, 10:18 PM
Oatmeal Pancakes

Makes one serving

1 cup quick oatmeal, whizzed in a blender
1 TBSP sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 egg, beaten
1 TBSP powdered milk*
1 cup water*

*Or liquid milk, or buttermilk, or water alone if you prefer

Warm a frying pan over medium heat.
Mix the dry ingredients, then add the liquids.
Add more water until the mix is pourable. Stir well.
Divide into three or four equal parts.
Put non stick spray in the pan and pour the batter in a circular motion.

NOTE: When cooking regular pancakes you watch the bubbles form, break, and fill in. When you notice some bubbles don't fill in after breaking, it's time to turn. But with this recipe you wait until nearly ALL the bubbles have broken and not filled in.

Celtic Rogue
17th April 2010, 07:03 PM
Bacon, grits and home fries. I dont like eggs particulary... but thos too if you like them.

Black Blade
17th April 2010, 07:11 PM
Hugarian-Romanian Peasant Breakfast

With summer fast approaching I can look forward to my typical breakfast. A hot bowl of gruel (oatmeal) with the diced apples from my tree and topped with home made choke cherry jam, two apples and a bowl of cherries from my tree for breakfast. Oh, ... okay, that's a Steyr M95 carbine, two Romanian Tokarevs and 6 boxes of Wolf Gold JHP Tokarev ammo.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/RomyB-fast1-1.jpg

silverblood
18th April 2010, 07:39 AM
There are a lot of recipes around for grits and scallops. I love having this for breakfast about once a month. Here is how I do it.

Yellow Hominy Grits with Pan-Seared Sea Scallops

For 1 serving:

1.85 oz (about 4 TBS) yellow hominy grits (the regular 20 minute kind, not quick or instant)
1 cup seafood stock or water (chicken stock works well too)
dash of salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper
cayenne pepper

4 large sea scallops (don't use the small bay scallops)
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
1 frying pepper (e.g., banana pepper), sliced thinly
salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
2 TBS butter

Remove the tough foot from the scallops, dry, set aside on paper towels to absorb moisture. If using previously frozen scallops, let defrost in a covered bowl or plastic bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using. They have a lot of moisture in them which needs to be eliminated. Scallops should be fairly dry before cooking or they won't sear in the skillet properly.

Bring the stock to a boil, add the grits and seasonings, return to boil then reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.

Slice the pepper into thin rings and chop the shallots finely. Salt the scallops on both sides very lightly, then sprinkle with black pepper and cayenne to taste. When the grits are nearly done, heat a small iron skillet on medium-high heat until hot (7 inch skillet is perfect for 4 scallops, 10 inch skillet for 8 scallops - if you are cooking more than that, you'll need to cook them in batches), add the butter, which should instantly melt and start bubbling. A little browning is OK. If it turns black and starts smoking right away, your skillet was too hot. In that case, start over.

Add the scallops to the butter in the hot skillet, then sprinkle the shallots and pepper slices around them. The shallots must be finely chopped and the peppers sliced very thin so that they will cook quickly. Leave the fire on medium-high so the scallops sear in the butter. After about 60 to 90 seconds, turn the scallops, then cook another 30 seconds to a minute on the other side.

Put the grits on a hot plate (I heat my plates in a 200 degree oven), then add the scallops on top of the grits and pour the butter, shallots, and pepper slices on top.

I sometimes fry a teaspoon or so of finely diced prosciutto in the skillet before adding butter. You don't need much to get a lot of flavor. Reduce the salt you use on the scallops if using the prosciutto, as it is very salty. Bacon would work too, although I'd suggest a mild one to avoid overpowering the flavor of the scallops. The pepper heat level, of course, is to taste. I use plenty of cayenne, and Tabasco Sauce at the table.

A tasty variation, one that I rarely have patience for at breakfast time, is to make a cream gravy with the leftover butter rather than pour it over the grits. In that case, after removing the scallops, use a slotted spoon to scoop out sliced peppers. You can leave the shallots. Add 2 teaspoons flour to the butter, scape pan bottom well, then stir for a minute over medium heat until smooth, then add 1/2 cup seafood stock and a couple tablespoons of dry sherry. Stir until smooth and thickened, pour over grits and scallops.

crazychicken
18th April 2010, 08:07 AM
Hugarian-Romanian Peasant Breakfast

With summer fast approaching I can look forward to my typical breakfast. A hot bowl of gruel (oatmeal) with the diced apples from my tree and topped with home made choke cherry jam, two apples and a bowl of cherries from my tree for breakfast. Oh, ... okay, that's a Steyr M95 carbine, two Romanian Tokarevs and 6 boxes of Wolf Gold JHP Tokarev ammo.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/SheridanGuns/RomyB-fast1-1.jpg

Well, if that isn't THE all-inclusive BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS I don't know what is!!!!!!

Two thumbs on that one!

CC

MNeagle
21st April 2010, 08:15 AM
Here's an easy egg bake:

1 C. cream
9 eggs
1 lb. diced ham
1 C. cheese of your choice
Seasonings (nutmeg is really good)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray Pam on 9X13 dish.
Sprinkle ham over bottom of dish, then cheese.

In a blender, mix cream, eggs & seasonings. Pour over ham/cheese.

Bake in 350 oven for 40-45 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.

Very easy, and you can mix & match meats (cooked), veggies, cheeses, seasonings to your preferences. Serves 6-8.

Korbin Dallas
28th April 2010, 09:31 AM
Anyone ever tried Kodiak Cakes Frontier Flapjack and waffle mix? I know it's kinda cheating, since it is just a mix, but it's the best pancaked and waffled I've ever had.

J in AZ
9th May 2010, 09:39 PM
Cornmeal Pancakes

1-1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups warm milk (use buttermilk in leiu of milk if desired)
2 eggs – room temperature, beaten
3 Tablespoons melted butter

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in the cornmeal.

In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and butter.

Add liquid mixture to dry mixture.

Cook on a greased hot skillet or griddle until edges start to dry and bubbles form in the middle. Turn and cook on other side. Serve with maple butter.

Maple Butter
Combine equal parts maple syrup and butter (not margarine) in a saucepan. Stir constantly under low heat until butter is melted and ingredients are blended. Transfer to a container and place in refrigerator. As mixture cools stir it occasionally until it reaches a semi-solid state. Store in refrigerator. Serve on pancakes or waffles.

AndreaGail
10th May 2010, 09:28 PM
i usually just have my grandpas breakfast that he had for many many many years
cheerios + uncooked rolled oats + blueberries + milk and a grapefruit on the side

sometimes ill fry up a couple over easy eggs and add cheese and dice some tomatoes on top but i'm not that big on eggs

reading all these recipes is making me want to make some especially the biscuits and gravy!

MNeagle
11th May 2010, 05:19 PM
Four myths about eggs

Choosing eggs is not nearly as simple as it should be. After all, the average egg weighs about 2 ounces. How many decisions can you possibly have to make for something so small and seemingly simple? Well, let’s see: Brown or white? Large or small? Organic or not?

And those decisions are just the tip of the iceberg. Egg cartons can be stamped with any number of labels, some meaningful, others not so much.

It's not always easy to separate fact from fiction when it comes to eggs. Below are some of the most common misperceptions.

Myth: Brown eggs are different than white.

Fact: The only difference between a brown and white egg is the color of the shell, which is merely a reflection of the breed of the hen. In general, but not always, hens with white feathers and earlobes lay white eggs and those with dark feathers and red earlobes lay brown eggs.

One isn’t healthier, more “natural,” or more eco-friendly than the other. There aren’t any differences in nutritional quality, flavor, or cooking characteristics.

Myth: Free-range eggs come from hens that roam freely outdoors.

Fact: The claims are not regulated for eggs, according to Consumer Reports. So there is no guarantee that the hen that laid the eggs ever saw the light of day. Of course, it may have spent time outdoors, but the “free range” label doesn’t mean anything. The following labels are also meaningless when it comes to eggs: “free roaming,” “hormone free,” and “raised without antibiotics.”

Myth: Organic eggs are healthier.

Fact: They certainly can be, but it all depends on the chicken’s diet. Organic eggs come from hens that are fed a 100-percent organic diet. However, what really matters when it comes to nutrition is whether the hens were raised on pasture. Studies, such as those conducted at Penn State University and by Mother Earth News, found that eggs from chickens that ate grass and insects contained higher levels of omega-3 fat, and vitamins E, A, and in some cases D.

If you want eggs from hens that are raised on pasture or spend a lot of time outdoors, then you’ll have to find a farmer you trust at your local farmers’ market.

Myth: Egg substitutes are simply eggs (or egg whites) without the shells.

Fact: Most products have added stabilizers, thickeners, vitamins, carotenes, and, sometimes, spices, according to Marion Nestle, author of What to Eat. She also points out that they cost about twice as much as real eggs. (A pound of egg substitutes weighs slightly less than a dozen small eggs.)

Of course, if you can’t eat egg yolks for health reasons or have no use for them, egg substitutes are a good option, and most products only have a tiny percentage of additives. Just read the labels before buying.

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/132/four-myths-about-eggs.html

zap
11th May 2010, 05:36 PM
I LOVE EGGS !!!!!

Shorty Harris
13th May 2010, 05:27 AM
Breakfast, the most important meal of the day..

:P

SQUEXX
25th May 2010, 05:00 PM
For me, breakfast is usually bread, cheese and coffee. Fast to make, cheap and filling, too.

k-os
25th May 2010, 06:30 PM
Most days I have a half of a Fuji apple and some peanut butter. When I run out of apples and I am too lazy to go to the market, I have toast and goat cheese.

If I have company, which hasn't happened in years, I like to make bacon, eggs and home fries.