PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: M-16 vs. AK-47

Black Blade
12th April 2010, 11:12 AM
Short version - you have 1) AR-15 (M16 and variants) more accurate at distance, lighter in weight, requires more maintenance and is more expensive; and 2) AK-47 less accurate but more powerful and better penetration. The AK-47 has looser tolerances so it's nearly indestructable and so easy to use that a child conscript or illiterate peasant in the Third World can operate it. Of course in SE Asia some non-combloc personnel would carry a captured AK as the M16 was prone to malfunctions under less than sterile field conditions. Each has its strengths and weaknesses and depending on the situation one may be better than the other. All in all, I would say that they are about equally decent weapons. Having been on both the firing and recieving ends of these weapons over the years, I have a collection of AK-47s because they are cheaper and the ammunition is both abundant and cheaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6CxQh3YXA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8iYWD7x7o&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWaV7qCpk8&feature=player_embedded

JJ.G0ldD0t
12th April 2010, 11:26 AM
Ahhhh

a good ole gun nut sh1t storm :D

Good luck!

Black Blade
12th April 2010, 11:45 AM
Each has their good points. I go with the AK-47 variants primarily because of costs and a decent AK-47 is plent accurate with the added bonus of penetration. Besides, it would only take the stroke of a pen to sign an EO to stop imports of foreign goods. I am currently well stocked on guns and ammo but continue to add to my supplies just in case. My goal is to have a "life time supply" to be grandfathered in case of gun restrictions.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/7dd36e9a129fa03329fa1f2f372f923e38ec2e31.pjpg

My home defense Saiga

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/a94264e176aab25e1143f894a47274a36c81e585.pjpg

A grouping of Saigas including (top to bottom) the 12 gauge Saiga-12 (top), Saiga T-6, SGL-21, SGL-21 with picatinny rail, SGL-21, and SGL-10 (bottom).

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/6c1363c41970a4c528041756386a9f6b4c111698.pjpg

A RPK M72 Yugoslav (top), and two Romanian AK-47.

Heimdhal
12th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Wolverines!!!!

and thats all I'll say. ;D

NOOB
15th April 2010, 03:42 PM
I thought I had some saigas till I saw yours. If you don't have the 308 variant you should get one. Easy to mod to ak config and bunches of fun to shoot.

RJB
15th April 2010, 03:48 PM
I can't believe it took this long for a thread that compares the two.

Heimdhal
15th April 2010, 06:03 PM
I can't believe it took this long for a thread that compares the two.

I cant believe we havent had 10 members invoke Thunderdome because of this thread yet! :D

Gangsta99
19th April 2010, 05:46 PM
As much as I love my AKs, I still prefer my AR-15. Having nicer optics on it makes it a superior rifle. I know I can get fancy mounts and stick an EOTech or an Aimpoint on an AK but that just doesn't feel right to me.

Heimdhal
20th April 2010, 06:51 AM
As much as I love my AKs, I still prefer my AR-15. Having nicer optics on it makes it a superior rifle. I know I can get fancy mounts and stick an EOTech or an Aimpoint on an AK but that just doesn't feel right to me.

You can get, or even make, peep sights for the AK. Tech Sights makes them, but they arent hard to make in the garage either. The mount on the rear trunion, so it will also lengthen the sight radius. It apparently makes a hell of a difference.

wallew
26th April 2010, 03:19 PM
Stuff you know if you have an AK

It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.
You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
Cheap mags are fun to buy. Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away.
Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.
Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.
You can put a .30″ hole through 12″ of oak, if you can hit it.
When out of ammo your rifle will nominally pass as a club.
Recoil is manageable, even fun.
Your sight adjustment goes to “10″, and you’ve never bothered moving it.
Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation’s most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
Your rifle won some revolutions.
You paid $350. You buy cheap ammo by the case.
You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.
Service life, 50 years.
It’s easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes.
You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.
You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames.
After a long day the range you relax by watching “Red Dawn”.
After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of Vodka.
You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set.
Your rifle’s finish is varnish and paint.
Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov.
Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout “Wolverines!”

Stuff you know if you have an AR

You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning.
You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
Cheap mags melt.
You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger.
Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system.
Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.
You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds.
When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat.
What’s recoil?
Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle.
Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations’ most illiterate conscripts.
Your rifle won the Cold War.
You paid $900.
You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.
You foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.
Service life, 40 years.
You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper.
You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it’s under warranty!
You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group.
After a long day at the range you relax by watching “Blackhawk Down”.
After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hotdogs and apple pie.
Your rifle’s accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle.
Your rifle’s finish is Teflon and high tech polymers.
Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner.
Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room.

Stuff you know if you have a Mosin Nagant

It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.
You can hit the barn from two counties over.
What’s a mag?
What’s a safety?
You rifle has dog collars.
Your bayonet is longer than your leg.
You can knock down everyone else’s target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.
When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.
Recoil is often used to relocated shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.
Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you’ve actually tried it.
Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.
Your rifle won a pole vault event.
You paid $59.95.
You dig your ammo out of a farmer’s field in Ukraine and it works just fine.
You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.
Service life, 100 years, and counting.
You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62×54r.
If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.
You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2×4.
After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor.
After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.
Your rifle’s accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it’s buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.
Your rifle’s finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga’s toe nails.
You’re not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.
Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the the yard to sleep in.

There you have it. In the end, it is clear to any open minded inquirer that the Mosin Nagant is the most superior weapon of all time, but the AR and the AK come out as a draw when compared side by side.

IHS
3rd June 2010, 01:38 PM
For shtf sniping in the neighborhood :o ...scoped AR-15

For "get thee to the nearest cave and stay there"...AK-47

Nuff said.

Heimdhal
3rd June 2010, 01:51 PM
For shtf sniping in the neighborhood :o ...scoped AR-15

For "get thee to the nearest cave and stay there"...AK-47

Nuff said.

I'd rather have the AK in the neighborhood too. Whats that? You're hiding behind a wall? Ah, thats ok! .308 is good for that too ;)

steveoc
3rd June 2010, 02:06 PM
No additional comments needed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c

sirgonzo420
3rd June 2010, 02:46 PM
A.

K.

All.

the.

way.

Libertarian_Guard
3rd June 2010, 03:21 PM
Regarding the question of which rifle is best. The answer lies in whether or not you have an extra grand to throw away over the next few years. If you are behind the eight ball in your personal finances, forget about the AR. The AK is far more cost effective. But if you can throw away some cash, and enjoy long range shooting - - 200 yds plus - - then you might appreciate the AR, and it might be worth the investment for you.

And regarding any SHTF situation. If I knew all my shooting would be at 150 yds or less, the AK would be my long rifle.

Heimdhal
3rd June 2010, 03:46 PM
Regarding the question of which rifle is best. The answer lies in whether or not you have an extra grand to throw away over the next few years. If you are behind the eight ball in your personal finances, forget about the AR. The AK is far more cost effective. But if you can throw away some cash, and enjoy long range shooting - - 200 yds plus - - then you might appreciate the AR, and it might be worth the investment for you.

And regarding any SHTF situation. If I knew all my shooting would be at 150 yds or less, the AK would be my long rifle.

its a fairly common misconception that the AK is a 100-200 yard gun. For average person with stock sights that may be true, but I've talked to quite a few people at project appleseed that have done the actual 500 yard shoots with their AK's and scored hits consistantly. It takes some practice though, thats for sure and you're groups will inarguably be bigger than with an AR, but you can get lead on target just the same.

Add in things like the tech sights, which gives you a sight radius of well over 25 inches (like the AR's) and peep sights to boot, it tightens those groups up. Throw some good surplus (yugo, etc.) its even better. If you plan on shooting that far, might as well go with the .308 or 30-06 though, since the smaller calibers start to lose their wounding properties beyond 300 yards. Particularly the 5.56, as they are more velocity dependent.

I feel confidant enough that if a total SHTF Mad Max world existed, and for some reason I needed to make a 400 yard shot, I could do it with my AK. If I lived in a very rural, flat area, I'd go for a more reach out and touch some one caliber though.

Nomen luni
3rd June 2010, 04:03 PM
After seeing that stash, all I know is I want to be on BB's side when SHTF! :P

Libertarian_Guard
3rd June 2010, 04:08 PM

its a fairly common misconception that the AK is a 100-200 yard gun. For average person with stock sights that may be true, but I've talked to quite a few people at project appleseed that have done the actual 500 yard shoots with their AK's and scored hits consistantly. It takes some practice though, thats for sure and you're groups will inarguably be bigger than with an AR, but you can get lead on target just the same.

Add in things like the tech sights, which gives you a sight radius of well over 25 inches (like the AR's) and peep sights to boot, it tightens those groups up. Throw some good surplus (yugo, etc.) its even better. If you plan on shooting that far, might as well go with the .308 or 30-06 though, since the smaller calibers start to lose their wounding properties beyond 300 yards. Particularly the 5.56, as they are more velocity dependent.

I feel confidant enough that if a total SHTF Mad Max world existed, and for some reason I needed to make a 400 yard shot, I could do it with my AK. If I lived in a very rural, flat area, I'd go for a more reach out and touch some one caliber though.

Heimdhal

I'm very skeptical of your claims here. As evidence, I'll submit the barrel length. Now I went a bit overboard (as usual) and purchased a 24 in barrel bushmaster - - but my AK is little more than half that length. Go figure.

Another thing is you better not be shooting your AK at a moving target beyond 200 yds. It is quite noticeable, how slow the that round travels compared with the 5.56! When shooting into an embankment beyond 200 yids, the 5.56 impacts immediately. Where as the 7.62X39 travels noticeably slower.

steveoc
3rd June 2010, 04:19 PM
Put it this way :

- If it was an emergency, Id take the AK first time, no hestitation.

- But if it was personal, Id reach for the FN-FAL, and take my time with the shot ;)