PDA

View Full Version : Turkey's "gesture" to Challenge Israel

illumin19
12th April 2010, 11:49 AM
Well it's been said before that a "gesture" like this would happen by a couple other countries but......we know how that turned out. Just keep takin' it....oh, how long will it be?

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/136963

Turkey is planning a gesture that will challenge Israel and provide support to Gaza's Hamas leaders next month. A flotilla of ships funded by Turkey will approach Gaza in May, in an attempt to challenge Israeli control at sea - or, as organizers put it, “break Israel's illegal blockade on Gaza.”

While residents of Gaza have access to the sea, the Israel Navy prevents travel by sea between Gaza and surrounding countries, in an attempt to prevent weapons smuggling. Gaza terrorists have previously used incoming ships to smuggle arms, and have used the sea to transport bombs to the coast of southern Israel.

The ships are sponsored by the Turkish group IHH (Insani Yardim Vakfi), which receives government support. IHH also held a massive fundraiser to collect the more than $2 million it spent on the boats.

The IHH group will be joined by ships from Britain, Greece, and Ireland in the attempt to break Israel's control at sea. The delegation will include members of parliament and journalists, organizers said.

The flotilla follows previous such missions in challenging Israel's ban on international travel to and from Gaza, as part of a campaign dubbed “Free Gaza” by its organizers. The latest group of ships will bring several hundred passengers and 5,000 tons of cargo, including humanitarian supplies, cement, and building materials.

The decision to bring cement is another challenge to Israeli policy in Gaza. Israel allows humanitarian aid through its border with Gaza, but allows cement and metal pipes to enter the area only for use in specific projects, in coordination with international aid groups. Israeli defense experts worry that if Hamas were allowed to import cement and pipes freely, it would use them to build bunkers and rockets as it has done in the past.

A spokesman for the government-backed IHH said the project would serve to “wake the world's consciousness about the crimes committed against Palestinians.”

IHH organizers said they see several possible outcomes to their venture: either Israel will allow them to land in Gaza, giving them a PR victory, or Israel will prevent them from reaching Gaza by stopping the ships or seizing their cargo, thus subjecting itself to international condemnation. Another scenario is that Israel's navy might fire on the ships, which could possibly be considered a declaration of war on the ships' countries.

Ties between Israel and Turkey, once friendly, have been strained since early 2009, when Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and other senior leaders harshly condemned Israel for its counterterrorism operations in Gaza. Erdogan publicly snubbed President Shimon Peres, Turkey later held a joint military exercise with Syria, and cancelled Israel's participation in a scheduled military exercise.

In 2010, Turkish television aired a virulently anti-Israel drama that depicts Israel kidnapping babies and murdering innocent Arabs. (IsraelNationalNews.com)

Book
12th April 2010, 11:58 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/MEKO_200_TN.jpg/800px-MEKO_200_TN.jpg

Turkish Navy gonna run the Israeli blockade?

::)

Neuro
15th April 2010, 12:36 AM
somehow I don't think this will end well...

Ironfield
15th April 2010, 02:46 AM
somehow I don't think this will end well...

No I don't believe it will, for the Turks that is.
Supposedly there will be eight ships in total trying to break whatever blockade the Israelis will throw up. Given their confrontational nature and propensity to shoot at things I can not see the Israelis conceding ground on the matter. Additionally they'll claim the Turks and co violated whatever sovereignty laws they lay claim to, failed to head warnings and as a last resort we're firedup etc.

None the less will be interesting to see how this plays out next month. interesting how no set date has been mentioned in any online article out there. guess they're trying to use the element of surprise, though kind of hard to miss eight ships leaving port. . .

-Ironfield

Pat Pat
15th April 2010, 02:51 AM
this is a big deal IMO

ArgenteumTelum
15th April 2010, 03:51 AM
Didn't Sinclair say: "Turkey makes a major miscalculation?" I seem to remember that.
AT

Neuro
15th April 2010, 09:02 AM
Didn't Sinclair say: "Turkey makes a major miscalculation?" I seem to remember that.
AT
I think Seligman said that Israel makes a miscalculation, and Turkey was a victim, but this was at least 6 months ago, and it appeared to have been an immediate warning... Another failed prediction from him. But people just love fortunetellers!

Book
15th April 2010, 09:14 AM
Ataturk Confessed to Being Jewish

To this date, there is extreme confusion among Muslims and non-Muslims alike regarding who was Mustafa Kemal, the dictator of Turkey. Recently, new evidence has surfaced that Mustafa Kemal, the ruthless dictator of Turkey, was not only a non-muslim, but a secret Jewish descendant of the Jewish Sabbati Zevi! The evidence comes not from tracing his genaology, but from the statements he himself made. Check out the following:

http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/1561

:oo-->

Neuro
15th April 2010, 03:21 PM
^ I wonder if my wife is of Dönmeh origin too, her family originated from Saloniki, and as far as I know they have always been strongly secular, which I understand is a trait of the Dönmeh's... She doesn't know for sure anyway I need to ask some questions to the older generations I guess...

Ironfield
24th May 2010, 09:45 PM
I don't generally necro old threads but Dday for the flotilla is fast approaching here is a little news update I read today on the situations development.

Antalya: Defying strict warnings from Israel, the largest-ever naval convoy will embark from Turkey's southern Antalya port on Wednesday in the ninth attempt by international activists to break Israel's illegal siege and deliver aid to Gaza.
Gulf News has a seat on the ‘Freedom Flotilla', consisting of nine vessels carrying 800 passengers, including international activists and journalists, and 10,000 tonnes of aid.
Israel has issued strict warnings and even threatened to fire upon the convoy. Last week, Naor Gilon, deputy director general at Israel's foreign ministry, told ambassadors of Ireland, Greece, Turkey and Sweden that the mission is "a provocation and a breach of Israeli law".
Gilon added that "Israel has no intention of allowing the flotilla to enter Gaza". Half of Israel's navy has reportedly been conducting exercises in preparation to stop the flotilla.
The flotilla is expected to arrive in Gaza on FrIday. Ameen Abu Rashid, the founding member of the European campaign to end the siege on Gaza, said a contingency plan is in place should the Israeli navy intercept the flotilla. This includes filing lawsuits in European courts as well as demonstrations before Israeli embassies, according to reports.
Since Israel enforced a naval blockade following its war on Gaza, no attempt at delivering aid to the strip via the sea has been successful. In December 2009, Israeli naval boats rammed into and caused significant damage to a ship carrying aid.
WHO demand
The World Health Organisation has demanded that Israel end the siege on the strip "immediately", saying that it was causing a shortage of medicines.
The first and only successful attempt to break the naval blockade on Gaza was in August 2008 by the Free Gaza Movement when 44 people from 17 countries sailed from Cyprus on two small boats and were welcomed by thousands of Palestinians on the shore.
Activist Yvonne Ridley, who was on that mission, told Gulf News that the experience was akin to the "fall of the Berlin Wall".
Israel withdrew its troops and dismantled colonies on the Gaza Strip in September 2005, but has failed to convince the international community that its occupation of the territory has ended. Israel has vowed to stop the flotilla by any means necessary, but under what legal pretext it aims to do so is unclear.
Israeli flags, tanks and colonists may have ended their presence on the Strip, but Israel continues to control Gaza's borders, airspace and territorial waters. The United Nations and the international community continue to consider the strip to be occupied by Israel, along with the West Bank and occupied East Jerusalem.

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/palestinian-territories/activists-set-to-defy-israeli-threats-1.631760 (http://) Source

jedemdasseine
25th May 2010, 02:46 AM
All the military contractors I know were deployed to Turkey earlier this month.
:-\

Ironfield
30th May 2010, 09:20 PM
Further update, material needs to be substantiated.

Island Crisis (http://www.islandcrisis.net/2010/05/reports-israeli-ships-attack-gaza-aid-flotilla/)

GAZA (BNO NEWS) — At least several people were killed and scores of others were left injured after Israeli ships clashed with six ships carrying pro-Palestinian activists and aid for Gaza, according to news reports on early Monday.

Al Jazeera and Turkey’s NTV Television reported that Israeli warships attacked the aid fleet in international waters on early Monday, using live bullets. It said at least two people had been killed while more than 30 others were injured.

Live video footage from one of the boats, broadcast on Al Jazeera, showed activists wearing life vests.

Turkish media also reported that the Turkish Foreign Ministry has summoned its Israeli envoy to condemn the situation. The country had earlier urged Israel to allow the aid ships safe passage and said the 10,000 tonnes of aid the convoy is carrying is humanitarian.

The ships are carrying pro-Palestinian activists, including a Nobel laureate and a Holocaust survivor. A second ‘wave’ of two ships was expected on Monday afternoon.

The Israeli government did not immediately comment on the reports.

Al Jazeera (http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/05/201053133047995359.html)

Israeli forces have attacked a flotilla of aid-carrying ships aiming to break the country's siege on Gaza, according to a Turkish aid agency being quoted by Turkish media.

At least two people were killed and more than 30 people injured, the report said early on Monday.

Footage from the flotilla's lead vessel, the Mavi Marmara, appeared to show armed Israeli soldiers boarding the ship and helicopters flying overhead.

Earlier, the Israeli navy had contacted the captain of the Mavi Marmara, asking him to identify himself and say where the ship was headed.
IN DEPTH
Shortly after, two Israeli naval vessels had flanked the flotilla on either side, but at a distance.
Organisers of the attempted siege break, dubbed the Freedom Flotilla, then diverted their ships and slowed down to avoid a confrontation during the night.
They also issued all passengers life jackets and asked them to remain below deck.
Hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists, including a Nobel laureate and several European legislators, are with the flotilla, aiming to reach Gaza in defiance of an Israeli embargo.
But Israel has said it will not allow the flotilla to reach the Gaza Strip and vowed to stop the six ships from reaching the coastal Palestinian territory.
The flotilla had set sail from a port in Cyprus on Sunday and aimed to reach Gaza by Monday morning.

Israel said the boats were embarking on "an act of provocation" against the Israeli military, rather than providing aid, and that it had issued warrants to prohibit their entrance to Gaza.

It asserted that the flotilla would be breaking international law by landing in Gaza, a claim the organisers rejected.

-Ironfield

Shami-Amourae
1st June 2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MUXxLerFsY