PDA

View Full Version : Dow Above 11000

StackerKen
12th April 2010, 03:31 PM
APRIL 12, 2010, 5:45 P.M. ET

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303828304575179472619135694.html?m od=WSJ_Markets_LeadStory

Stocks rose, prompting the Dow Jones Industrial Average to close above 11000 for the first time since September 2008, with Caterpillar, Alcoa and Chevron in the lead.

The Dow climbed 8.62 points, or 0.08%, to 11005.97, its highest close since Sept. 26, 2008. Caterpillar was the measure's best performer, up $1.46, or 2.2%, to 66.73, after Baird upgraded its investment rating on the industrial giant's stock to "outperform" from "neutral." The firm cited higher machinery production rates and an expected increase in global mining capital spending.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above 11000 for the first time since late-September 2008 amid hopes for a strong earnings season and weakness in the dollar.

The blue-chip measure edged up 8.62 points to end at 11005.97, helped by a 1.3% gain in component Alcoa. The aluminum maker's quarterly earnings announcement is expected shortly and will mark the symbolic start of the the broader profit-reporting on Wall Street.

While the Dow managed to pierce 11000, the S&P 500 faltered around a key level. The broad index hit an intraday high less than a point from 1200 before ending at 1196.48, up 0.2% amid gains in six of its 10 sectors.

Optimism about the earnings season has been simmering for weeks, fueling major averages to new 18-month highs. At the same time, however, they've often seemed to struggle around milestones, with some traders taking short-term profits ahead of breakthroughs to new levels.

Reuters
"Company by company, things seem to be pretty good and improving, but on the macro level there are still big concerns out there," said John Apruzzese, a partner and portfolio manager at Evercore Wealth Management. "You still have concerns about government debt, unemployment, and issues with the euro and Greece, even though that seems to be partially resolved."

kregener
12th April 2010, 03:33 PM
Listen....you can almost here the pitter-patter of tiny feet as the clueless rush to drop their money as 'they' sucker another several trillion dollars into the Great Ponzi Scheme.

ximmy
12th April 2010, 03:38 PM
HICKS
We got problems.

HUDSON
I don't plucking believe this.
Do you believe this?

RIPLEY
And it's too late to shut it down?

BISHOP
I'm afraid so. The crash did too
much damage. The overload is
inevitable, at this point.

Grog
13th April 2010, 07:56 PM
Gold bugs like to discount the stock market as speculative and fake, etc. I fall into that mode at times too.

I hold gold and silver but I still play the market.

I've earned more from stocks than gold in my life. I've turned very little profit from Gold, if any at all. I cannot remember selling any Gold... Remember, to be a winner, you have to leave the table a winner!

I'm a conservative investor but Gold is only one portion of the equation. If all you hold is Gold and Silver, you are missing the boat. Stocks, bonds, futures, property, etc are all other valid means to gaining wealth.

Diversify and prosper. :)

There were stocks that made a ton of money in the recent 'crash'. It wasn't all bad. Be prepared and do your research. I won't, and don't, give specific advice online or in person as every investor's needs are different. I am comfortable in saying that there is money to be made in the stock market and that ignoring and deriding it is silly. However, putting the nest egg into it is just as silly. Be prudent and thoughtful.

All of the above said, I see the 11000 as a near-peak. Almost top. I've pulled out of my mutual funds etc. I see a general decline ahead. I see some sectors doing OK but the overall market taking a dump for a few. Maybe I'm right, or wrong. But, I've taken my 6.4% gain in 34 days and I'm off the table for a bit. :) Can't complain there.

BTW: As I trade stocks, I'm still buying and holding metals. :) Metals are a lifestyle, stocks are a hobby.

Grog

steyr_m
13th April 2010, 08:54 PM
Hmmm, I think most people should... sell, sell, sell.