PDA

View Full Version : New Guidelines Issued For Drivers With Dementia

StackerKen
12th April 2010, 03:39 PM
By JOSEPH BROWNSTEIN
ABC News Medical Unit
April, 12, 2010
PrintRSSFONT SIZE:SHARE:EmailTwitterFacebookMore
Having mild dementia is no longer a reason to take away an elderly person's car keys, according to newly revised guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology.

An elderly person is shown driving a car in this file photo. Citing new evidence that many drivers...
(Skip Nall/Getty Images)
Citing new evidence that 76 percent of drivers with dementia could still pass on-road skills tests, the AAN changed guidelines that previously discouraged any driving once someone was diagnosed with mild dementia or Alzheimer's. The updated guidelines were unveiled an the AAN's annual meeting in Toronto. "The previous recommendation was that patients with mild dementia should not drive, and that recommendation has been softened," said Dr. Donald Iverson of the Humboldt Neurological Medical Group, Inc., and lead author of the guidelines.

The guidelines cast some light on what is often a contentious issue within families -- when to take away an elderly parent's car keys. It often pits public safety against life fulfillment, as an elderly person's social life has been linked with well being and a longer existence.

more here
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/AlzheimersNews/guidelines-issed-elderly-driving-dementia-alzheimers-diagnosis/story?id=10355282

Saul Mine
12th April 2010, 03:54 PM
Especially in Cali where you're not really a person if you don't have a car.

Publico Pro Se
29th April 2010, 03:18 PM
Giving drivers' licenses to people who are out of their minds. Now that's crazy.

Gknowmx
29th April 2010, 05:05 PM
I forgot why I started reading this thread...