PDA

View Full Version : Heres how to Convert 5.7 and 4.3 Vortec engines to carb

Gypsybiker45
13th April 2010, 02:41 AM
If EMP is a concern for you, or you just prefer simplicity. you can convert your Vortec to carb quite easily.
for this you need to replace the intake manifold, distributor and add a carb. the Vortec engines (98-up for the 5.7 and 95 up for the 4.3) use different heads than the 1955-1988 Gen1 and 1988-9x Gen2 small blocks and v6. you cant use the old intakes on these engines. Edelbrock PN 7116 is a conversion for the 5.7 and PN 2114 for the v6. I would use a 650 (NO LARGER) cfm carb for the 5.7 and a 550 for the 4.3 for stock conversions.Holley makes alky versions for these carbs if you desire moonshine power.finally youll need a distributor. many manufacturers make HEI units pick your favorite, and install like any other. (my choice is GM) enjoy!

Gypsybiker45
13th April 2010, 05:38 PM
If EMP is a concern for you, or you just prefer simplicity. you can convert your Vortec to carb quite easily.
for this you need to replace the intake manifold, distributor and add a carb. the Vortec engines (98-up for the 5.7 and 95 up for the 4.3) use different heads than the 1955-1988 Gen1 and 1988-9x Gen2 small blocks and v6. you cant use the old intakes on these engines. Edelbrock PN 7116 is a conversion for the 5.7 and PN 2114 for the v6. I would use a 650 (NO LARGER) cfm carb for the 5.7 and a 550 for the 4.3 for stock conversions.Holley makes alky versions for these carbs if you desire moonshine power.finally youll need a distributor. many manufacturers make HEI units pick your favorite, and install like any other. (my choice is GM) enjoy!

If anyone has any tchnical Automotive questions, feel free toask! Im a GM tech with 23 yrs experiance! :)

undgrd
13th April 2010, 05:43 PM
Since you've been a tech that long I'm assuming you're pretty good with most domestic trucks. What kind of trouble am I getting into thinking about fitting an early 90's Ramcharger with a Dana 60 front and rear?

Gypsybiker45
14th April 2010, 03:15 PM
firstly, why? a dana 60 is a fine unit, but now your dealing with much more $$$$ than a 44. unless you have some ungodly engine/trans combo no real advantage, you can get the same ratios with a 44.remember these are 3/4 ton truck parts and EVERYTHING is more FRNs. "The trouble" you would get into is negligible other than having to get all new hardware,brakes (and i mean ALL the brakes, rims,(8 lug vs 5 lug) now what ive put forth is if you are using stock Mopar components you may or may not find aftermarket parts less or more. If you overhaul your stock 44s with heavy duty innards youll be in the ballpark as a 60 with much less work. of course i dont know what your using this Ramcharger for if its a mud truck then id give the nod, otherwise as a recon/shtf, vehicle stick with the 44s, MUCH easier and far less $$$ for parts.

skid
17th April 2010, 12:43 PM
OK... I have a question for you.

What automobile, which has been manufactured within the last 20 years or so, is the EASIEST to convert to completely electronics-free (points, carburator, etc.) operation?

EMP will knock out ALL electronic fuel controls, sensors/computer systems, etc. - so I would like to know what could be made post-EMP functional (for purely academic reasons, of course! ;D)

GM truck or SUV.

Gypsybiker45
17th April 2010, 06:27 PM

What automobile, which has been manufactured within the last 20 years or so, is the EASIEST to convert to completely electronics-free (points, carburator, etc.) operation?

EMP will knock out ALL electronic fuel controls, sensors/computer systems, etc. - so I would like to know what could be made post-EMP functional (for purely academic reasons, of course! ;D)

GM,Ford or Chrysler trucks that use Gen 1 V-8s and V-6s m these would be (20 yrs) .

Ford V-8 5.0,5.8 (302-351) and 4.9 L-6 (300) newer V-8s are unconvertible.

Chrysler 318,360,225, 2.2,2.5 (5.2,5.9,slant 6, Omni,Horizon,K-car 4 cyl) newer 3.7,4.7, HEMI 5.7,6.1 unconvertible.

GM 5.7 4.3 7.5 (5.7,262,454)
newer 3500,4200,4.8,5.3,6.0,6.2 unconvertible

the ones i labled "ok" need only a manifold change,carb and distributor install, and a fuel regulator (7lbs)

LuckyStrike
24th April 2010, 09:44 PM

Would an EMP not kill all your fuses, ignition, coils, fuel pump etc?

CRUECAB
7th June 2016, 09:54 AM
firstly, why? a dana 60 is a fine unit, but now your dealing with much more $$$$ than a 44. unless you have some ungodly engine/trans combo no real advantage, you can get the same ratios with a 44.remember these are 3/4 ton truck parts and EVERYTHING is more FRNs. "The trouble" you would get into is negligible other than having to get all new hardware,brakes (and i mean ALL the brakes, rims,(8 lug vs 5 lug) now what ive put forth is if you are using stock Mopar components you may or may not find aftermarket parts less or more. If you overhaul your stock 44s with heavy duty innards youll be in the ballpark as a 60 with much less work. of course i dont know what your using this Ramcharger for if its a mud truck then id give the nod, otherwise as a recon/shtf, vehicle stick with the 44s, MUCH easier and far less $$$ for parts.
Saw this post, yes I see its old. But a Dana 60 is far superior than a Dana 44. Horse power is not the only factor in going to one, vehicle weight and type of off road use is another.
I have shattered more 44s than I can remember, yet broke only on right outside stub shaft and a could locking hubs on a 60.

CRUECAB
7th June 2016, 09:55 AM

Do you have any recommendations for a electric fuel pump. Actually what I am doing is replacing the factory tank with a Jaz 10 gallon and tubbing my S15.
But will get it up and running with the stock V6 till after November and just need to convert the in take pump to an in line pump.

Jewboo
7th June 2016, 10:07 AM
Do you have any recommendations for a electric fuel pump.

Gypsybiker45 is no longer a member.

:(?? sorry