PDA

View Full Version : For the Bagel brigade. Homemade bagels.

RJB
13th April 2010, 06:10 PM
I keep hearing people say they smell bagels... It made me hungry.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Homemade_bagel_recipe_Make_great_nadrolled_water_b agels__its_as_easy_as_baking_a_loaf_of_bread
Homemade bagel recipe. Make great handrolled water bagels, it's as easy as baking a loaf of bread!
By John D Lee

Homemade bagels taste better!
I've made a lot of bagels in my time. I owned a bagel restaurant for years, and you would find me every bleary eyed morning kneading the dough and hand rolling all the fresh bagels for the day.

I've since gotten out of the bagel game (Yay sleep!) but I still love a great bagel.

People think that making outstanding bagels at home is really difficult, but it's really no harder than making a loaf of bread...and can be done within about an hour.

Don't be discouraged if your bagels look at bit funny at first, you'll get the hang of it in no time, and those curiously shaped bagels will still beat supermarket bagels hands down.

What makes a bagel different from other breads is the two stage cooking process. A bagel is first briefly boiled, and then baked. I worked the meat counter in a Jewish deli as a teenager, and as my boss would say, an unboiled bagel is just a roll with a hole!

Homemade bagel recipe

4 cups bread flour

1 Tbls sugar

1 1/2 tsps salt

1 Tbls vegetable oil

2 tsps instant yeast

1-1/4- 1-1/2 cups of warm water.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. You don't have to worry about soaking the yeast when you use instant yeast (most yeast sold these days is instant yeast). The dough should feel stiff, but add the extra water if it's really stiff, or you can't get all the dry flour incorporated.

Plop the dough down onto the counter, and knead for about ten minutes, or until the dough is uniform and smooth.

Cut the dough into 8 equal sized balls, and let rest for 10-20 minutes.

Pre heat your oven to 425.

Now, take each of the dough balls and using two hands, roll it into a little snake on the counter. When the snake is longer than the width of your two hands, wrap it around your dominant roiling hand. The dough rope should be wrapped so the overlapping ends are together at your palm, near the start of your fingers. Now take the two overlapping ends, and use your palm to squish/roll these two ends together. Once the dough is fused, you should have a perfectly circular bagel-to-be! This is the only part of the process that can take a little practice before your bagels will look really professional. Don't get discouraged if they don't look perfect, it just takes practice!

Let your bagels rest on the counter for about 20 minutes, and meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil, and grease a large baking tray lightly. You can just rub a splash of vegetable oil and rub it around.

After the 20 minute wait, your bagels will start to look puffy, and it's time to get them boiling! Add them as many at a time as you can to your boiling water without crowding them. Boil for about a minute, turn them over, and boil for another minute. Take them out a let dry for a minute and then place them on your oiled baking tray. Repeat until all the bagels are boiled.

Add the tray to the oven, and after 10 minutes, flip the bagels over, bake for another ten minutes; and they're done!

Let them cool for at least 20 minutes, get the cream cheese ready, and feast on what's got to be one of the best weekend brunch treats possible!

You can add any toppings you like to these. To make sesame, onions, poppy seed, caraway etc. etc. bagels just have a dry plate ready with the seed or spice topping spread out on it. After the bagels have come out of the boiling water, place them face down onto the seeds, and then place the seed side up onto the baking tray. Bake and flip as for plain bagels.

mamboni
13th April 2010, 06:15 PM
These bagels will taste bland as you have omitted the key ingredient: 2 cups of chutzpah. :oo-->

RJB
13th April 2010, 06:16 PM
I'll borrow some from GIM2. They have plenty.

Heimdhal
13th April 2010, 07:22 PM
This is my personal recipe for the bagels I make at home. Never mind the weird formating, it didnt carry over well from my bakers recipe program. Ignore the numbers on the right, and if you use it, use the numbers that are under the Lb/OZ columns.

I lvie in a very new york/long island infiltrated area, all my family comes from there as well on my moms side. My cousin and his wife own an italian market here. I've done tatste test with my new york family wihth these bagels because all they do when they are down here is whine and complain that they cant find a bagel "like in ny". They had no idea these were "home made" bagels whent hey tried em. Thought they came right from a NY style bakery (as thats what I told them when I gave them the bag).

They key of course, as your recipe included, is boiling. Any good bagel is boiled in a sugar-water mix. You can add dried onions or garlic, or salt, or whatever you want to flavor them. As a rule of thumb for any baked good, if you add dried fruits like Raisins or Crannberries, etc, bloom them first by letting them soak for 10-15 minutes in a glass of water. This will keep them from taking water from the product as they bake, causing said product to dry out faster and have a lower moisture content. They should be added in with as the ingredients are first mixing, not later on. Everything else can be added on after the boil.

Bagels
New Yield: original recipe
Wt of each item:
48 Lb OZ Total OZ Total %
29.37 Bread Flour 1 3 19.00 100
15.46 Warm Water 0 10 10.00 52.63
0.77 Salt 0 0.5 0.50 2.63
1.93 Sugar 0 1.25 1.25 6.58
0.46 Dry Active Yeast 0 0.3 0.30 1.58

48.00 oz 1.634210526 Conversion Factor 163.42
3.00 lb Current receipe makes: Total wt 31.05

1) Mix water, sugar, salt and yeast in straight dough method
mix on medium speed for 7-9 minutes or until dough is properly kneaded
2)Let dough proof
3)Punch down dough and separate into 6 equal pieces and form balls
4)Flatten Balls slightly with heel of palm, press hole into middle of each with thumb
5)Twirl dough on finger to spread whole and even dough
6)Cover formed bagels with towel and bench rest for 20 minutes
7)Bring to boil 2 gallons of water mixed with 1/4 cup white sugar
8)Boil each bagel for 1-2 minutes turning over once half way through
9)Sprinkle ungreased pan with cornmeal, or grease pan if cornmeal is not used or desired.
10)Glaze bagels with egg white wash for shiny finish(or leave un washed for matte finish) and sprinke
with Poppy seed or desired topping
11)Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until well browned.

Celtic Rogue
14th April 2010, 01:22 AM
These bagels will taste bland as you have omitted the key ingredient: 2 cups of chutzpah. :oo-->

Oye Vey!!! What no schmaltz?

sunnyandseventy
14th April 2010, 12:03 PM
I've made a lot of bagels in my time. I owned a bagel restaurant for years, and you would find me every bleary eyed morning kneading the dough and hand rolling all the fresh bagels for the day.

Wow. I was a bagel dough maker that used a Bagelmatic for 5 years. I've seen hand made bagels but wouldn't even think of doing it for a business. Talk about repetitive strain injury!

keehah
3rd June 2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/14/2536025/regions-shuttered-stores-tell.html

Collateral damage

Behind all of these vacant businesses are thousands of small, personal decisions, most of them justifiable – even necessary – in a sour economy.

In Woodland, for instance, "People just gave up their once-a-week coffee," said Caunedo, the entrepreneur who ran Bagel City until its recent closing.

Besides selling coffee and bagels from her Main Street shop, Caunedo relied heavily on catering. Her biggest customers were the city of Woodland, the local school district and nearby University of California, Davis.

Each of those public institutions shut the spigot amid budget woes. Caunedo doesn't blame them: How can you justify serving quality bagels, for instance, at a meeting about whether to lay off teachers?

ximmy
3rd June 2010, 11:01 AM
I was hoping for pics of bagels.. without pics it is like hungry person who dreams they are eating, then wakes up and has nothing but hunger.