PDA

View Full Version : 7.1 quake in China kills 400

Olmstein
14th April 2010, 03:26 AM
Related to the recent solar eruptions?

Reporting from Beijing
An earthquake that Chinese officials measured at magnitude 7.1 rocked a remote, mostly Tibetan-populated county in western China early Wednesday, killing at least 400 people and injuring at least 8,000, according to state television reports.

The quake struck in Qinghai province about 20 miles from the county seat of Yushu, where it toppled houses, an elementary school and part of a Buddhist tower in a public park and seriously damaged the main hospital in town, officials told Chinese media.

"In a flash, the houses went down. It was a terrible earthquake," one witness said.

Yushu is about 500 miles southwest of Qinghai's capital, Xining, and has a mostly Tibetan population of 100,000 people, many of them herdsmen in the mountainous, rural area.

Numerous houses made of mud and logs in the traditional manner collapsed during the quake and its aftershocks.

"The death toll may rise further as lots of houses collapsed," army commander Wu Yong told the state-run China Daily. "Roads leading to the airport have been damaged, hampering the rescue effort."

In Jiegu, a township near the epicenter, more than 85% of the houses had collapsed, said Zhuo Huaxia, a local Tibetan official.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-fg-china-quake14-2010apr14,0,1449975.story

CJay8
14th April 2010, 03:38 AM
It amazes me that if you go to the USGS site how many major earthquakes there are every day, yet it seems like they are happening in more populous places. I guess the law of averages is against us. I'm sitting pretty close to the New Madras fault, just waiting for it to make the Mississippi river run backwards again.

Horn
14th April 2010, 07:34 AM
You know China is as populated as they say it is.

Anytime a big one hits there the casualties are escalated.

keehah
14th April 2010, 09:20 AM
No geomagnetic storm reported at the time of this big one, but it does correlate with a new moon.

mick silver
14th April 2010, 09:40 AM
It amazes me that if you go to the USGS site how many major earthquakes there are every day, yet it seems like they are happening in more populous places. I guess the law of averages is against us. I'm sitting pretty close to the New Madras fault, just waiting for it to make the Mississippi river run backwards again.
it did run backwards years ago and made a lake in tenn calls reelfoot